The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
uplink
Ring of Famer
 
uplink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,018
Default Broncos Draft Grades

lot of hate for Walton and Beadles

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...enver-broncos/
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBen's Avatar
 
Go Broncos !!

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
Blah .. too early to read that much and retain what I read.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,412
Default

Summary

You almost have to ignore parts of the 2008 draft because of the wholesale changes that followed, but it should be noted that more players drafted in ’08 have gone onto have success than both 2009 and 2010 combined. That has a lot to do with one of the worst draft classes of all time in what Denver did in Josh McDaniels’ first year in charge. Adding a little bit more context, Denver had just traded away their franchise quarterback and, in the end, got a solid defensive end and … well, that was it. Blame the scouts or blame the coaches, but drafting that many players and failing so spectacularly on so many is utterly inexcusable.


this^
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 10,891

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Thank you for proving once again that PFF is the football equivalent of Mad magazine.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,286
Default

Zane Beadles, G (45th overall pick in 2010): Seemed to progress at guard as his rookie year went on, but was abysmal in his second year in such a way that you wonder if he could ever turn the corner. Our fourth-lowest ranked guard in 2011, he’s poor in pass protection and nearly as bad in the run game.

J.D. Walton, C (80th overall pick in 2010): Our fourth-lowest ranked center in the league as a rookie, stepped it up and earned the lowest grade of all his peers in 2011. A poor player who struggles massively in the run game.



Beadles improve to fourth worst? I wasn't aware.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,352

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

They better step it up or our season could go down the drain...
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,939

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Thank you for proving once again that PFF is the football equivalent of Mad magazine.
this.

Isn't it strange how some media claim TT's success was due in a large part to the young and talented oline and yet these guys claim that two of the young players on this oline suck?

go figure.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,550

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

-2.0: You just drafted the love child of Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf!

LMAO
OBF1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,039

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Their assessment on those players in particular are more than fair. When we took Beadles that high, I **** a brick. I know some team boards had him late second, early third, but I thought he was a late third guy at best. Walton was a fine value where we got him, but expecting a raw, rookie C to come in and bust ass is really tough. This is a make or break year for them. I'm guessing by us looking at some OL guys in this draft, that their experiment here in Denver is almost OVER.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,939

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

notice how many Broncos players they have rated at 0.0 which basically tells you that these idiots have no idea how to grade these players. Instead of acknowledging they are somewhat productive, they give these players a none grade. Thanks for nothing PFF!

The only player they have rated as a +1 is Clady. Really? I'm not a fan of the Broncos drafts because Shanny screwed the pooch so many times. However, the 2009 draft is not as bad as it's being made out to be.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 10,891

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Their assessment on those players in particular are more than fair. When we took Beadles that high, I **** a brick. I know some team boards had him late second, early third, but I thought he was a late third guy at best. Walton was a fine value where we got him, but expecting a raw, rookie C to come in and bust ass is really tough. This is a make or break year for them. I'm guessing by us looking at some OL guys in this draft, that their experiment here in Denver is almost OVER.
I love how Carlton whats his face who was a 4th round pick who never played and then got booted out was ranked a 0 but a 2 year starter is a huge bust - one of those players contributed to a playoff team the other contributed mostly to the inreased profitability of Denny's.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,039

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I love how Carlton whats his face who was a 4th round pick who never played and then got booted out was ranked a 0 but a 2 year starter is a huge bust - one of those players contributed to a playoff team the other contributed mostly to the inreased profitability of Denny's.
I was more speaking in terms of Beadles and Walton. I'd grade some of the others differently.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

God, I remember warning people about how ****ty the 09 draft was going to be after we fired the Goodman's in the weeks leading up to it and McDaniels talked about having an index card instead of a draft board with 30 names on it.

And people were telling ME I was wrong and that the index card was the "way to go" because it "emphasized the guys they really wanted" that "fit the system".

TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
God, I remember warning people about how ****ty the 09 draft was going to be after we fired the Goodman's in the weeks leading up to it and McDaniels talked about having an index card instead of a draft board with 30 names on it.

And people were telling ME I was wrong and that the index card was the "way to go" because it "emphasized the guys they really wanted" that "fit the system".

ONCE again more drama queens ..

in fact it was reported that he had 100 or so names on his war board..

did he make mistakes of course..

but when you ask a scout for a reassessment of a player based on YOUR needs not mikeys You have to expect that there will be some fubars..

They had 3 months to get it nailed down and obviously failed at helping Josh make the picks he needed in the draft.



Now talk about the next draft and having YOUR scouts that have a clue about what you are looking for and it mad a HUGE difference.. IMO
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
ONCE again more drama queens ..

in fact it was reported that he had 100 or so names on his war board..

did he make mistakes of course..

but when you ask a scout for a reassessment of a player based on YOUR needs not mikeys You have to expect that there will be some fubars..

They had 3 months to get it nailed down and obviously failed at helping Josh make the picks he needed in the draft.



Now talk about the next draft and having YOUR scouts that have a clue about what you are looking for and it mad a HUGE difference.. IMO
Oh wow!

A whopping ONE HUNDRED NAMES?!?!?!

Well then! He was Mr Prepared indeed!

And the results sure back that up too.

5 star post man!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

conflicting reports on players come from all directions..

Just like some on message boards love a player to death look back to their mocks to see if they are just patting themselves on their own backs.

conversely if their "boi" was not picked, the guy that was will never meet the grade for them..

EGOs and reputations are IMO a sole criteria for most grades..

Now let's go back a couple of guys.. Ayers was said to be a 2- 3 year wunderkind as he needed to learn the NFL, then he was swapped to OLB and now back to DE his natural position..

Yet some rag on him for two reasons he was a Number one and not a pro blow player yet and Josh picked him.. You pick which one fits your grading ..


Tebow Everyone and I mean everyone said he would be a 3 maybe 4 year project, yet because he was a number one way to many folks thought he would be on Elways level day one..

Those that thought he should have been a second rounder were the most harsh..

See Egos and reps for the reason why..

Everyone on here to some degree thinks they are the second coming of the best GM the NFL ever had.. and those that do not think they could have taught Lombardi a thing or two..

Thank God, Pat does not come here or pay any attention to the wannabes..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Oh wow!

A whopping ONE HUNDRED NAMES?!?!?!

Well then! He was Mr Prepared indeed!

And the results sure back that up too.

5 star post man!
If that is all you have that is what you play..

certaninly not the 30 you proclaimed..

What would you have done in his shoes?
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
If that is all you have that is what you play..

certaninly not the 30 you proclaimed..

What would you have done in his shoes?
^ Done much better, like many here could have.

Hell, reference 2009 OM Mock Draft for Christ's sake.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Denver Broncos