The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default Can someone help me understand this schedule rotation?

I thought I had it down cold. Back in 2002, when the league realigned.....it was determined that (assuming you were an AFC team)....

1. You would rotate through the NFC division once every 4 years (as there are 4 of them, duh)

2. Rotate through the OTHER AFC division (don't count your own, duh) every 3 years.

3. Obviously play everyone in your own division every year (duh)

4. The other 2 games are against the 2 other AFC divisions (1 each) based on how you finish......

I get all that....

BUT.....the locations are supposed to flip too.....for example, this year we play everyone in the AFC North.....just like we did in 2009....but aren't the locations of those 4 games supposed to flip??

In 2009, we played at home vs. Pitt and Cleveland......and on the road vs. Baltimore and Cincy (Stokley's catch).

But in 2012.....the location are THE SAME. WTF ?!?! Any idea why we are (again) playing @ Baltimore and Cincy?...and not the other way around?
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

what does it matter ?

if your trying to second guess that NFL do not waste your time..

They will do what they do..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
I thought I had it down cold. Back in 2002, when the league realigned.....it was determined that (assuming you were an AFC team)....

1. You would rotate through the NFC division once every 4 years (as there are 4 of them, duh)

2. Rotate through the OTHER AFC division (don't count your own, duh) every 3 years.

4. The other 2 games are against the 2 other AFC divisions (1 each) based on how you finish......

I get all that....

BUT.....the locations are supposed to flip too.....for example, this year we play everyone in the AFC North.....just like we did in 2009....but aren't the locations of those 4 games supposed to flip??

In 2009, we played at home vs. Pitt and Cleveland......and on the road vs. Baltimore and Cincy (Stokley's catch).

But in 2012.....the location are THE SAME. WTF ?!?! Any idea why we are (again) playing @ Baltimore and Cincy?...and not the other way around?
Locations are to my knowledge independent of rotation.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
BroncoBeavis

Quote:

I get all that....

Only thing I can think is that locking in the location of all of those games would maybe make the scheduling very difficult (in order to assure each team 8 home games)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Perhaps locations are linked to SOS? Or even not mandated so as not to make it too hard to merge the 8 home and away criterion...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I get all that....

I'm with ya man. I've wondered the same thing for a couple of years. I was positive we were at Pittsburgh this year since they came here a couple of years ago
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This is the only place I have ever heard say the locations flip. I'm pretty sure you all just made this up.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
ppablo

seems like we always play @ balt...
Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
I'm with ya man. I've wondered the same thing for a couple of years. I was positive we were at Pittsburgh this year since they came here a couple of years ago
Exactly. We were AT Pittsburg in 2006 (when Javon Walker had a monster game)....then they were here in 2009. Now I figured we'd be back there in 2012.

My only conclusion is that when the realignment happened in 2002....that was an 8 year "plan" for 2002 - 2009. With a new CBA now....perhaps they reversed the locations.....sort of like a "snaking" FF draft.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Locations are to my knowledge independent of rotation.
Not true. For the scheduled slate for 2002-2009 they did, in fact, rotate.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Not true. For the scheduled slate for 2002-2009 they did, in fact, rotate.
They may have a goal to rotate, but if you think about it, it's easy to come up with scenarios where it would be impossible to lock in locations with consistency.

Those two AFC games based on division standings, for instance. There's no way to know who those will be. It's possible the last time you played that team it was at home or away. What if both of those teams you got seeded against played at your house the last time, now you've got two away games and no easy way to balance them out.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppablo View Post
+1...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
They may have a goal to rotate, but if you think about it, it's easy to come up with scenarios where it would be impossible to lock in locations with consistency.

Those two AFC games based on division standings, for instance. There's no way to know who those will be. It's possible the last time you played that team it was at home or away. What if both of those teams you got seeded against played at your house the last time, now you've got two away games and no easy way to balance them out.
I just do not see waht the hoopla is all about..

SO we have to go somewhere two times in a row BFG..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
ppablo

Just saw in twitter that we are going to open sunday night in denver vs the steelers
Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

Yes.....except for the 2 "oddball" games.....the others were supposed to rotate location.

Oh well......some things can't be explained, I guess.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppablo View Post
I was thinking the opposite, but I think that's because I went to the 2005 & 2006 games. Looks like we're both wrong:

BALTIMORE RAVENS
Reg. Season: (3-5-0 / .375)
Home (3-1) / Away (0-4)
Postseason: (0-1 / .000)
Home (0-0) / Away (0-1) / S.B. (0-0)
1996 (10/20)—@Denver 45, Baltimore 34
2000 (12/31)—@Baltimore 21, Denver 3*
2001 (9/30)—Baltimore 20, @Denver 13
2002 (9/30)—@Baltimore 34, Denver 23
2003 (10/26)—@Baltimore 26, Denver 6
2005 (12/11)—@Denver 12, Baltimore 10
2006 (10/9)—@Denver 13, Baltimore 3
2009 (11/1)—@Baltimore 30, Denver 7
2010 (10/10)—@Baltimore 31, Denver 17
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Theway
Pro Bowler

The reason is that from 2002-09, the Broncos (and Chiefs) were in one schedule. In 2010, it became the Broncos-Raiders. So instead of repeating the same schedule as 2002-09, there were some changes (essentially, a re-start). No team could keep the same rotation, as they were changing the division team they were rotating with.

Hope that helps.
Theway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Yes.....except for the 2 "oddball" games.....the others were supposed to rotate location.

Oh well......some things can't be explained, I guess.
So what, do they always split the 2 oddball games? 1 home, 1 away? Looks like that's what happened this year.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

NFL schedule is on an 8 year rotation so that every team hosts and travels to every other team in the NFL. The schedule "flipped" from the expected rotation as this is year 9 since this schedule rotation began. Games you thought would be away are now home, etc...for the next 8 years...barring expansion. That is all. No more.

Otherwise for home/away in the other 2 games, they are based solely on divisional finish vs the 2 remaining AFC divisions who we don't match up with each respective season...Even though the colts always play the pats and steelers, it's because they are always in first place. Some are part of the regular rotation. Some are from those other 2 TBD games based on divisional finish.

Last edited by 27atwater; 04-17-2012 at 05:27 PM..
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

With the exceptions of jhns and 27atwater, I facepalm at EVERYONE who made a nonsensical/half-assed/guess at how the NFL schedule works!

I also thought it worked off a 3yr AFC and 4yr NFC rotation of venues, so thanks to the last poster for putting me on the right track!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote