The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Antenna Advice Requested: HD TV

After our recent move, our Dish cannot get local channels. The guy was able to put in an OTA modulator so I can use my DVR for OTA channels and get them in 1080p - something neither satelite nor Cable can do.

The problem is the antenna I had wasn't strong enough for all the channels (but apparently strong enough for a crap load of Spanish ones.) Does anyone in the Denver-Metro area no where to buy a good Antenna that is strong enough to pick up all the locals? We live in an apartment so something that can be mounted on a tripod that isn't incredibly massive would be preferable.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Drunken.Broncoholic

An OTA modulater can change TV channels from 1080i to 1080p?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
An OTA modulater can change TV channels from 1080i to 1080p?
Maybe its only 1080i? I just know its better than 720 the other three get.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Maybe its only 1080i? I just know its better than 720 the other three get.
I believe 1080i is the highest you can go with TV and blue ray brings it to 1080p. I got comcast so don't know much about Dish. Does it get knocked out from the storms you guys have back there often?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I believe 1080i is the highest you can go with TV and blue ray brings it to 1080p. I got comcast so don't know much about Dish. Does it get knocked out from the storms you guys have back there often?
No. We moved and the angle of our apartment means I have to hit the Easter Arc, which is fine but I cannot get locals. I got a discount, so for the DVR and my base programming on two TV's my bill $15 a moth. The Dish equipment doubles as a converter for OTA, you just don't get the programming guide, which is find. We're probably going to keep doing Netflix, Hulu Plus and downloading torrents of the exclusive shows like game of thrones so I just need this for the games. Parker is pretty far from the transmitters and I can't get NBC which sucks since it has MNF and we're going to be getting at least two of those games this year.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
After our recent move, our Dish cannot get local channels. The guy was able to put in an OTA modulator so I can use my DVR for OTA channels and get them in 1080p - something neither satelite nor Cable can do.

The problem is the antenna I had wasn't strong enough for all the channels (but apparently strong enough for a crap load of Spanish ones.) Does anyone in the Denver-Metro area no where to buy a good Antenna that is strong enough to pick up all the locals? We live in an apartment so something that can be mounted on a tripod that isn't incredibly massive would be preferable.
Make sure you buy the *correct* type of antenna!!!

Different antennas are tuned for different frequencies. If you buy a fancy pants antenna that isn't tuned to the frequencies you need, you're boned.

See: http://www.hdtvantennalabs.com/tv-antenna-type.php
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Got nothing to do with how "strong" THE ANTENNA is. Powered antennas I have tried in the past don't do much of anything.

Believe it or not have had best recption with rabbit ears as far as the type of antenna.............. it has more to do with how high you can get the antenna in relation to your house and how far away the signal is coming from.

Just don't buy some expensive so called HDTV antenna...........there is no such thing as a HDTV specific antenna regardless of what they call it. Antenna you watched BUGS Bunny on as a kid will do the exact same thing.....................

All else fails put one on the roof, run coax to your Dish receiver's tuner or tv tuner and you will get all the channels including the few Spanish channels you just may be missing or the several religious channels you surely will want to get...........lol
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post

Different antennas are tuned for different frequencies. If you buy a fancy pants antenna that isn't tuned to the frequencies you need, you're boned.

no............just no
Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:

no............just no. How the hell do you tune an antenna ?

Is that like how you tuna fish ? Just wondering ?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

When I said "strong" I meant bigger. The one I had was too small. I find the power amplifiers do more to hinder my signal, for some reason.

And don't worry. I know a lot of people have been fooled into thinking they need an "HD antenna" whatever that is.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
no............just no. How the hell do you tune an antenna ?

Is that like how you tuna fish ? Just wondering ?
Take your ignorance elseware.

'So, the question you should ask yourself is what broadcasts are available in your area and what are reception conditions with respect to each one of the broadcasts you are interested in. We are going to answer that question shortly. But first, we need a terminology to qualitatively describe the reception conditions of a particular broadcast in your area. Reception conditions are specified by a color code. The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) defined seven color zones - Yellow, Green, Light Green, Red, Blue, Violet and Pink. Yellow zone is the one where reception quality is the best, pink zone is the toughest. Each color zone has an associated tv antenna type that the CEA recommends to use in this zone. CEA classification applies to outdoor tv antennas only. "
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Got nothing to do with how "strong" THE ANTENNA is. Powered antennas I have tried in the past don't do much of anything.

Believe it or not have had best recption with rabbit ears as far as the type of antenna.............. it has more to do with how high you can get the antenna in relation to your house and how far away the signal is coming from.

Just don't buy some expensive so called HDTV antenna...........there is no such thing as a HDTV specific antenna regardless of what they call it. Antenna you watched BUGS Bunny on as a kid will do the exact same thing.....................

All else fails put one on the roof, run coax to your Dish receiver's tuner or tv tuner and you will get all the channels including the few Spanish channels you just may be missing or the several religious channels you surely will want to get...........lol

For a while the term "HD" got trendy. Calling everything HD even though it wasn't. Like HD sunglasses. HD antennas.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
When I said "strong" I meant bigger. The one I had was too small. I find the power amplifiers do more to hinder my signal, for some reason.

And don't worry. I know a lot of people have been fooled into thinking they need an "HD antenna" whatever that is.
It's not a question of needing an "HD antenna" it's a question of having an antenna that is suitable to your reception conditions and the channels available.

It has nothing to do with HD vs SD.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Take your ignorance elseware.

'So, the question you should ask yourself is what broadcasts are available in your area and what are reception conditions with respect to each one of the broadcasts you are interested in. We are going to answer that question shortly. But first, we need a terminology to qualitatively describe the reception conditions of a particular broadcast in your area. Reception conditions are specified by a color code. The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) defined seven color zones - Yellow, Green, Light Green, Red, Blue, Violet and Pink. Yellow zone is the one where reception quality is the best, pink zone is the toughest. Each color zone has an associated tv antenna type that the CEA recommends to use in this zone. CEA classification applies to outdoor tv antennas only. "
Your full of chit.
I already told him about signal strength ?

Oh wait your saying it takes a different type of antenna for which area your in ? Which one do you use for your BOZO zone ?

Tell me how to tune an antenna again.......lol
The tuner is in the tv or receiver...............
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...4597030&sr=8-1
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Needed a good laugher....................
Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #18
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Your full of chit.
I already told him about signal strength ?

Oh wait your saying it takes a different type of antenna for which area your in ? Which one do you use for your BOZO zone ?

Tell me how to tune an antenna again.......lol
The tuner is in the tv or receiver...............
It's not about tuning the antenna. It's about having an antenna constructed to be best suited to picking up particular frequencies.

Not all antennas are equally sensitive to all frequencies, idjit.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
No. We moved and the angle of our apartment means I have to hit the Easter Arc, which is fine but I cannot get locals. I got a discount, so for the DVR and my base programming on two TV's my bill $15 a moth. The Dish equipment doubles as a converter for OTA, you just don't get the programming guide, which is find. We're probably going to keep doing Netflix, Hulu Plus and downloading torrents of the exclusive shows like game of thrones so I just need this for the games. Parker is pretty far from the transmitters and I can't get NBC which sucks since it has MNF and we're going to be getting at least two of those games this year.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. You pay $15/month for your satellite service?!?!?

WTF? How'd you swing that?
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #20
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
That'll only work in the BS zone......of course on here that would be perfect .....................I do not know if the BS zone is yellow or pink.
I will get back to you though................
Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa. You pay $15/month for your satellite service?!?!?

WTF? How'd you swing that?
The "All Mormon" programing package
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #22
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
I appreciate the information. Really I just want to know what antenna anyone uses and if they can get one locally here in Colorado or have to order.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
It's not about tuning the antenna. It's about having an antenna constructed to be best suited to picking up particular frequencies.

Not all antennas are equally sensitive to all frequencies, idjit.
BS dude you are believing all the hype. Rabbit ears will pull in HD channels or a coat hanger will to...............I have done it........be gone.......................
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #24
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
I appreciate the information. Really I just want to know what antenna anyone uses and if they can get one locally here in Colorado or have to order.
Table models at Walmart or any electronic store or Radio Shack.
Radio Shack might have a roof mount one too although your apartment peep may not like that.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
BS dude you are believing all the hype. Rabbit ears will pull in HD channels or a coat hanger will to...............I have done it........be gone.......................
Yep, any old antenna will pick up some things most of the time. The correct antenna type will pick up more things with better quality.