The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Mario Fannin & Julius Thomas comments

All the focus in the Broncos’ backfield has been on Peyton Manning, but another player could be getting quite a bit of attention come September. One of my sources inside the team headquarters at Dove Valley tells me to keep an eye on Mario Fannin. The 2011 undrafted free agent ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at the combine and weighs 235. He was the team’s best running back in camp last year until he suffered a season-ending ankle injury. The Broncos have high hopes for Fannin, and wouldn’t be surprised if he played a major role in 2012.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...litz-4214.html

Broncos TE Julius Thomas recently had surgery to repair torn ligaments in his right ankle and is hopeful to be ready for training camp. The team is hopeful, too, as it has high hopes for the second-year tight end. A former basketball player, Thomas was the most athletic player in Denver’s training camp last year, according to one team insider. He missed almost all of his rookie season with the ankle injury and is third on the depth chart behind free-agent pickups Joel Dreessen and Jacob Tamme.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/story/permalink/32368
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
All the focus in the Broncos’ backfield has been on Peyton Manning, but another player could be getting quite a bit of attention come September. One of my sources inside the team headquarters at Dove Valley tells me to keep an eye on Mario Fannin. The 2011 undrafted free agent ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at the combine and weighs 235. He was the team’s best running back in camp last year until he suffered a season-ending ankle injury. The Broncos have high hopes for Fannin, and wouldn’t be surprised if he played a major role in 2012.

Broncos TE Julius Thomas recently had surgery to repair torn ligaments in his right ankle and is hopeful to be ready for training camp. The team is hopeful, too, as it has high hopes for the second-year tight end. A former basketball player, Thomas was the most athletic player in Denver’s training camp last year, according to one team insider. He missed almost all of his rookie season with the ankle injury and is third on the depth chart behind free-agent pickups Joel Dreessen and Jacob Tamme.
I'm bummed Thomas' ankle wasn't addressed properly last year but he was the star of TC last year. I hope he's ready for TC this year. I can see Thomas as a monster down the middle of the field for Manning as well as RZ
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:

There is a reason why Fannin wasn't drafted. I hope he proves everyone wrong and blows up. Having that size and speed is rare. Hopefully he puts it all together.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
delany
Uber Bronco

Fannin would be a perfect candidate for the stretch play. He might have good top end speed but he doesn't have that elite first burst to the hole. A stretch running play would definately play to his strength.

I will put in an early nomination for him to win the Camp God (Adrian Madise award) of 2012.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

give Fannin some stick em cause the boy puts the ball on the ground like it's his job.
physically gifted but he might need to carry the ball like Tiki Barber did later in his career.

this is the thing that always worries you as a fan. guys who just have that sick physical talent but can't put it together due to mental lapses or injury issues. Thomas' potential is insane if he can stay healthy and harness it. having Manning here can only help both guys.

i still want a top 3-4 round RB taken though.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Damn that's almost Bo Jackson like size and speed.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Smokescreens -- we're drafting a running back and a tight end in rounds 1 and 2 this year, for sure.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

If Fannin can stay healthy for camp, I think he's capable of beating out either Moreno or Ball for a roster spot. Ball and Fannin are superior special teams players to Moreno, which might be the difference. Knowshown better have the camp of his life.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Smokescreens -- we're drafting a running back and a tight end in rounds 1 and 2 this year, for sure.
Possible, although I particularly doubt they would draft a TE after picking up two in FA. How many more can they have on the roster?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Bmore Manning

I don't know much about Fanin, but AP had a case of funbleitus early on too and Arian Foster was a UDFA.. Just saying...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Whatever. Drafting Thomas who obviously had concerns that high was dumb and I could care less about Fannin. I have fourteen prospects with higher than a fifth round. Get one of them.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I don't know much about Fanin, but AP had a case of funbleitus early on too and Arian Foster was a UDFA.. Just saying...
. . . and it was more than fumbles that caused Foster to become an UDFA.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Whatever. Drafting Thomas who obviously had concerns that high was dumb and I could care less about Fannin. I have fourteen prospects with higher than a fifth round. Get one of them.
Did Thomas have injuries concerns? I know he only played a year of college ball. Did you get to watch him live in practice last year dominating Champ Bailey? I did and to me he was a solid 4th round pick. This kid flashed potential last year before being injured. Odd are 4th round picks do crap in the NFL anyways. It's obvious he was a target of EFX.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I've spent a lot of years hoping. I'm more interested in sure things these days.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Did Thomas have injuries concerns? I know he only played a year of college ball. Did you get to watch him live in practice last year dominating Champ Bailey? I did and to me he was a solid 4th round pick. This kid flashed potential last year before being injured. Odd are 4th round picks do crap in the NFL anyways. It's obvious he was a target of EFX.
I wasn't at camp and I was more turned off by the fact that this seemed like another Wesley Duke trying to be Antonio Gates experiment. Fourth round picks aren't a crapshoot if you scout hard and don't reach for ****. It's mind boggling to me that they felt he was the BPA when he was drafted last year.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
There is a reason why Fannin wasn't drafted. I hope he proves everyone wrong and blows up. Having that size and speed is rare. Hopefully he puts it all together.
Just like there were reasons Rod Smith was undrafted TD was a 6th, Sharpe a 7th. The draft is a joke in evaluating what a player can orr will do. Fannin has ability and I wouldn't bet against a guy with his measurables if he comes ready to work
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've spent a lot of years hoping. I'm more interested in sure things these days.
Couldn't have stated it better!!
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Where were you guys when Richard Quinn was taking a $h!t on the field? He was a second round pick. Now people have their panties in a bunch because a 4th rounder has a couple of dings?
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Where were you guys when Richard Quinn was taking a $h!t on the field? He was a second round pick. Now people have their panties in a bunch because a 4th rounder has a couple of dings?
Might end up replacing Moore with Quinn in your post which is bad talent evaluation
Thomas flashed nfl potential last year
Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

Waiting for the "Matt Willis to break out with Manning at the helm" article......
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Possible, although I particularly doubt they would draft a TE after picking up two in FA. How many more can they have on the roster?
i think that it's highly likely a TE will get taken, the value of TE's this year is high in terms of quality players who will likely slide. Fleener is like the only 1st round guy. guys like Allen,Green,Egnew,Thompson & others will be there in the 2nd,3rd,4th and lower.

people keep talking about who we have already but it's Dreessen and Tamme. those are the locks. everyone else is competition and potential health or suspension issues. i'm are that TE isn't a huge need but Elway has shown that he sticks to his board over going for a need. he's not gonna draft the #30 ranked DT if the #6 TE is on the board.

Dreessen,Tamme,Thomas are your top 3. Thomas is dinged and wasn't able to stay healthy last season, Green is on the shelf for 4 games due to suspension and Ingram is a practice squad guy. that's 2 surefire TE's, 1 injury concern, 1 suspended guy and a camp fodder type who could become more. that's not the type of depth needed going into a full season.

Last edited by Lestat; 04-15-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i think that it's highly likely a TE will get taken, the value of TE's this year is high in terms of quality players who will likely slide. Fleener is like the only 1st round guy. guys like Allen,Green,Egnew,Thompson & others will be there in the 32nd,3rd,4th and lower.

people keep talking about who we have already but it's Dreessen and Tamme. those are the locks. everyone else is competition and potential health or suspension issues. i'm are that TE isn't a huge need but Elway has shown that he sticks to his board over going for a need. he's not gonna draft the #30 ranked DT if the #6 TE is on the board.

Dreessen,Tamme,Thomas are your top 3. Thomas is dinged and wasn't able to stay healthy last season, Green is on the shelf for 4 games due to suspension and Ingram is a practice squad guy. that's 2 surefire TE's, 1 injury concern, 1 suspended guy and a camp fodder type who could become more. that's not the type of depth needed going into a full season.
Egnew could be a real value pick if he drops.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #23
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Thomas flashed NFL potential with one whole catch. Woopty-do.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #24
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Fannin was the best RB in TC last year?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
elsid13
Lost In Space