The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #76
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Yeah if we were grading UDFA classes, I'd have to give negative points to anyone who wasted money bidding on him. He's not going to play. He's more or less said he's not going to play: "I still love the game of football, that will never be taken from me" and "I can have the mindset of a full-time track guy now"...to me that sounds like someone who won't be playing football...this year at least. That money could have been spent on other FAs.
who is to say he can't play this season? if he does participate in the olympics, his commitment is over in August. that means if he wanted to play, he can get an agent and be signed to a team almost a month before the regular season. and with a guy like Demps, you can't teach the speed he has. he can come in right after the olympics and make an impact as a return man immediately; while learning the offensive playbook. by midseason he is an all purpose weapon for a team.

and if he does sign, CBF1 got a hell of a weapon as a UDFA, and if he doesn't it isn't a huge loss. why take risks on a lot of unknowns, when you can possibly get a damn good weapon. low risk high reward.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #77
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
lol I played there so I have a special place in my heart for UWW kids.

Warhawks STOMP Div 3 EVERYYYYYYYYY year.

...right... but you literally CAN'T do it. He's not eligible.

Being a special talent doesnt mean he's in any way available.

Brb drafting Jesus Christ next year.
I'm going to put in a bid on Buddha myself -- Pittsburgh needs a nose tackle.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #78
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
who is to say he can't play this season? if he does participate in the olympics, his commitment is over in August. that means if he wanted to play, he can get an agent and be signed to a team almost a month before the regular season. and with a guy like Demps, you can't teach the speed he has. he can come in right after the olympics and make an impact as a return man immediately; while learning the offensive playbook. by midseason he is an all purpose weapon for a team.

and if he does sign, CBF1 got a hell of a weapon as a UDFA, and if he doesn't it isn't a huge loss. why take risks on a lot of unknowns, when you can possibly get a damn good weapon. low risk high reward.
I never said he couldn't play. I simply said he's saying he won't. What does "I still love the game of football, that can never be taken from me" sound like to you? Seems to me you hear that a lot in retirement speeches.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #79
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
He's got the size, but doesn't play with aggression.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #80
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Sign me up for Usain Bolt and the entire US 4x100 relay team.

Thanks.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #81
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Should we put "I guess" bids in now on more ineligible amateurs in hopes they declare for the supplemental draft?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #82
Shananahan

Denver selects Tyler Zeller, TE, North Carolina.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #83
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Couple more days until the draft... think I'll post a few of my UDFA bios in here to keep myself busy....

Pittsburgh Steelers Undrafted Free Agent:

Cody Pearcy, WR, Huntingdon College

Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 161 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.33
Broad Jump: 10' 6"
Vertical Jump: 44"
20-yard shuttle: 3.76
3-cone drill: 6.67

2011: 46 receptions, 766 yards, 8 touchdowns
2010: 51 receptions, 1078 yards, 12 touchdowns
2009: 48 receptions, 768 yards, 5 touchdowns
2008: 2 receptions, 19 yards, 0 touchdowns

Diamond In the Rough by Josh Moon, Montgomery Advisor

When even your mother doesn’t believe in what you’re doing, it’s probably time to rethink things.

That was the reality facing Huntingdon wide receiver Cody Pearcy.

The 5-foot-11, 160-pound wideout had completed his career with the Division III Hawks after the 2011 season, but he wasn’t ready to let football go. College kids tend be filled with hope and impossible dreams, and Pearcy’s was to play professional football.

Maybe not the NFL. He wasn’t crazy. Sub-six-foot, D-III wideouts don’t land on NFL rosters.

But the Canadian Football League? The Arena Football League? Surely those leagues couldn’t be out of reach.

To get there, though, Pearcy needed money to hire an experienced trainer to get him ready for workouts in front of pro scouts. Unfortunately, college kids are hardly ever filled with money. So, he called Mom and told her about the plan.

“I needed to hire a trainer,” Pearcy said. “I needed to get some attention at a pro day and I had to train for it.”

Mom said no, as she should have.

Parents have to be realistic, after all, and blowing hard-earned cash on a trainer for a one-in-a-million shot at a low-paying career in a pitiful pro league isn’t exactly a life plan. There would be no money from Mom.

The football dream would go away and Cody would have to graduate and get a real job, start a real life.

At least, that was Mom and Dad’s perspective.

Unfortunately for the elder Pearcys, somewhere in his childhood, Cody developed this idea that if you want something bad enough and are willing to work hard enough to get it, it’s obtainable.

“I’ve just always had people telling me I can’t do something,” Pearcy said. “I’ve always proved them wrong. Every time someone said I couldn’t, I proved that I could.”

So, starting last December, every time Mom would send a little extra spending money, instead of buying pizza and clothes, Pearcy would tuck a portion away into a savings account.

Over the Christmas break, he got a job with a teammate’s father roofing houses, and he was able to add a bit more. And little by little, the savings grew.

Until finally, he had enough to buy three whole weeks of NFL combine training from a guy just starting out — Alex Aucoin at Warehouse Performance in Montgomery.

Three weeks. The Trent Richardsons and Andrew Lucks of the world have been training for three months.

But if three weeks is what you have, you make the best of it.

“I worked my tail off,” Pearcy said. “He really did help me, showed me some things that helped me. We trained hard.”

All of it was in preparation for a pro day at Alabama State.

A handful of NFL scouts, along with a few low-level agents looking for a miracle client, were on hand to watch a few notable players from ASU, Huntingdon and other area colleges run drills.

The tasks were the same as the ones you see on TV: 40-yard dash, shuttle run, vertical leap, etc. The only difference is that very few people are watching. Even those in attendance — most of them having visited a hundred similar events with little to show for it — were a tad bit indifferent.

Until Pearcy ran the 40.

“I didn’t know what the number was, but I knew it was good because a couple of the agents came over to me afterward and handed me their business cards,” he said. “I gave them back. I was focused then. I didn’t need that distraction.”

The number was 4.31 seconds. Faster than any receiver at this year’s NFL combine. He wasn’t done.

Next up was the vertical leap. Pearcy’s number there: 44 inches. That one was better than every player, regardless of position, at the combine.

In the three-cone drill, he posted a 6.67. That would have been the second-fastest time among receivers at the combine.

And then there was the short shuttle run time of 3.76 seconds.

That’s the fastest time recorded … in the history of the combine.

All in all, it was the single greatest workout by a player this year.

By a D-III player with one shot to make an impression? Possibly the greatest workout ever.

“The kid has NFL talent,” said ASU head coach Reggie Barlow, a former NFL wideout himself with Jacksonville, Oakland and Tampa Bay. “He’s explosive. I actually filmed it. You can tell the kid has talent and is fast. He’s been training really well and really hard.”

Barlow wasn’t the only one impressed.

As soon as the pro day ended, a scout from the Miami Dolphins took Pearcy into a room at ASU’s athletic complex for an hour-long interview. Since then, he’s talked with the Giants and Eagles.

He’s held private workouts with the Colts — who had great success with their last D-III wideout, a guy named Pierre Garcon — and the Eagles. The Falcons are trying to set up something for next week, too.

And there are others still calling.

In literally a blink of an eye, Pearcy has gone from an unheard-of nobody with a foolish dream to a legitimate potential draft pick in this month’s NFL draft.

“I’ve had some people tell me that I could go on the third day (rounds 4-7),” Pearcy said. “But I think a more realistic possibility is a priority free agent deal.”

Look who’s realistic all of a sudden.

The mere possibility of an NFL draftee on campus has been a hot topic at Huntingdon.

As head coach Mike Turk pointed out, “We’re not exactly a hotbed for NFL talent.”

To be fair, the school has only had a football program for nine years, and NFL teams typically don’t scour D-III rosters looking for players. In the past 20 years, only 15 D-III players have been drafted.

“We’re having a lot of fun with it,” Turk said. “Everyone’s talking about it. I’ve had quite a few phone calls from teams all over the league. They all want to know the same thing — why don’t we know about this kid. They’re asking a lot of the same questions that we do when we’re recruiting players, trying to find out what kind of kids they are.”

Turk believes NFL teams will find Pearcy to be the hardworking overachiever that he appears to be. That’s what he’s been at Huntingdon, where he caught 97 passes for more than 1,800 yards the last two years.

“He’s always been a guy who plays his best in big situations — a gamer, I guess, is the best way to describe him,” Turk said. “He works hard, always has for us. He’s determined. And when the lights are on, he really shines.”

That makes sense.

After all, how else would you explain career best numbers from a guy on the day when he absolutely had to have career best numbers?

“I’ve always been very determined and I’ve always believed in myself,” Pearcy said. “All my life, people have doubted if I could do something in football and tried to talk me out of it. I couldn’t play receiver because I was too small. A player from an AISA school (Glenwood Academy) couldn’t make it in college ball. Now, a D-III receiver can’t make it to the NFL. I’m stubborn like that.”

But when he puts the determination and stubbornness aside for a moment, takes a short break from trying to prove everyone wrong and actually reflects on how his life has changed in literally a matter of seconds, even Pearcy admits surprise.

Mom has come around, and Pearcy, who said he “picks at her pretty good” about not giving him the money to train, said his parents are “super stoked” about everything that’s happening. He’s fielding calls from agents and news outlets all over the country. His opportunities seem endless.

“A few months ago, I never would have dreamed this was possible,” he said. “It really is a dream come true. It’s always been my dream to play in the NFL. To be in this position, it’s just unbelievable.”

And then, just as quickly as he slipped into the temporary moment of satisfaction, Pearcy bounces back to the bullheaded worker and tells you that this — just getting drafted or landing a free agent contract —isn’t all there is to his dream.

He wants to play, wants to “make a name for myself” in the NFL. And why not? Wes Welker did it.

He’s 5-foot-9 and went undrafted. Now he’s one of the most successful receivers in NFL history. Heck, the guy throwing to Welker, Tom Brady, one of the best QBs to ever play the game, was a six-round pick (the 199th selection). In fact, 29 players on New England’s roster last year were undrafted.

So, why not Pearcy?

“That’s my goal — to make a name for myself and have success in the NFL,” Pearcy said. “When (NFL teams) ask me, that’s what I tell them. And if I get something in my head, I don’t quit until I get it.”

Check out this video from Pearcy's pro day - at around the 3:45 mark, the NY Giants scout just starts laughing....

Last edited by BowlenBall; 04-23-2012 at 09:51 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #84
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Derek Carrier, WR/TE/H-back, Beloit College

Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 238 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.51
Bench: 15 reps
Broad Jump: 10' 02"
Vertical Jump: 38"
Short Shuttle: 4.08
3-Cone Drill: 6.65

2011: 75 receptions, 1250 yards, 12 touchdowns
2010: 64 receptions, 1044 yards, 12 touchdowns
2009: 34 receptions, 604 yards, 4 touchdowns
2008: 16 receptions, 217 yards, 1 touchdown

Beloit College Receiver Looks to Catch On by Bob McGinn, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Green Bay - Every year, small-school players across the United States begin what for most is the impossible climb to the National Football League. The vast majority never even make it to first base: that is, obtaining and passing a legitimate evaluation. Already safe at first, Beloit College's Derek Carrier has taken a sizable lead and is heading for second: namely, signing an NFL contract. Beloit, a private liberal arts institution that has been in existence since 1846, has had only two players drafted into pro football even though it has fielded teams for more than a century. They were Jack Erickson, a tackle selected in the seventh round by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1953, and Rod Hermes, a quarterback who went in the 30th and final round in 1956 to the Green Bay Packers. Neither made it.

Carrier, 6 feet 3½ inches and 238 pounds, rewrote the Beloit record book as a wide receiver over the last four seasons. His accomplishments against Midwest Conference defenses, however, mean little in the scouting process. The intrigue with Carrier among some NFL teams stems largely from the success the New England Patriots have had the past two years with Aaron Hernandez, a tight end who functions mostly as a slot, split or out-of-backfield receiver. "A lot of other teams want to find their own Hernandez or their own (Rob) Gronkowski," Carrier said last week. "A guy who can split out and create a lot of mismatches. It kind of becomes the hot commodity for that draft." Carrier, an inch taller, and Hernandez weigh almost the same. But when comparing Carrier in six speed, athletic and strengths tests from March 7 at the University of Wisconsin pro day to Hernandez's combine workout in February 2010, Carrier was better in everything but the bench press.

Good score
Not only that but Carrier, who carries a 3.87-grade point average in pre-med and will graduate May 12, more than doubled Hernandez's score on the Wonderlic intelligence test. "It wasn't just a good workout - he had a great workout," a personnel man for an AFC team said. "I've watched a little film of him. Beloit. . . isn't that Division III? But I think somebody will take a shot in the sixth or seventh (rounds). Maybe somebody takes him higher. He's a big kid and he ran awfully well." Since that workout, agent Ron Slavin of Madison has fulfilled requests from all 32 teams for game tape of his client. Carrier spent a day last week in Seattle visiting with Seahawks' officials, and on Monday departs for a visit with the Oakland Raiders. Earlier, the Patriots dispatched Chad O'Shea, their receivers coach, to work him out at Beloit's 3,000-seat Strong Stadium, where fewer than 500 attended the 2-8 Buccaneers' final two home games. In the last year, Carrier estimated he has met in Beloit with scouts from all but three or four clubs. "If someone would have told me four years ago that this would be happening I'd probably call them a liar," said Carrier. "It's just been an amazing experience." Carrier wasn't among the hundreds of prospects who left school in January for exhaustive training and coaching on their agents' dime at any number of high-tech facilities down south. He maintained his quarters at the Sigma Chi fraternity and worked out on his own.

Help from Bulls
Last summer, Carrier spent a three-month internship with the Chicago Bulls' strength coaches. They wrote him a training program, which Carrier has followed assiduously. His present six-day-a-week workout routine is not new for Carrier. Growing up in nearby Edgerton, he lived for whatever sport was in season. For his high school Crimson Tide, Carrier was a three-year starter in basketball and baseball (center field) and a two-year starter in football. He remembers vividly a heartbreaking regional loss to the Monroe Cheesemakers in his last basketball game. "A lot of these schools kind of discourage multisport athletes," he said. "I think that's something you should encourage. The need to specialize kind of takes away from the experience." The Badgers offered Carrier a berth as a preferred walk-on, but he finally decided he just couldn't walk away from basketball. Carrier considered UW-Whitewater, but basketball coach Pat Miller said the Warhawks discouraged playing two sports for competitive and scheduling reasons. When the football and basketball coaches at Beloit called to say they'd accommodate his two-sport desires, he became a Buccaneer. In two seasons of basketball, Carrier started 21 games and averaged 8.3 points. With NFL scouts beginning to call in spring 2010, Carrier decided he couldn't commit fully to a third year of basketball and reluctantly gave it up.

Trying track
Still, he wasn't ready to become a one-sport man just yet. A year ago, he participated in track and field for the first time in his life and spent two months doing just about everything for Beloit's indoor team. He ran 6.68 seconds in the 55 meters besides having a long jump of 21 feet 5 inches and a triple jump of 43-4. "It was just a blast," said Carrier. "It was all new. It was exciting." By most accounts, Carrier will either be drafted or signed as a free agent. Among other things, he can look forward to being called something like "Beloit" by less-than-impressed new teammates. Curious about the scouting buzz surrounding Carrier, an NFL personnel man watched 2½ games of Beloit football during a break in draft meetings last week. "He's out wide and catches a screen pass, and this little itty-bitty corner comes up on him and the kid (Carrier) runs out of bounds," the scout said Saturday. "Makes no attempt to run him over or use a stiff-arm. Or anything. I lost interest on one play. "I'm sure he's a great kid, but at that level they really don't know what they don't know. You're looking at a very raw lump of clay. He'll take a long time to develop even if he takes the bit the first year." Reaching third base would be making an NFL roster. Having a long, successful career would be hitting a home run. "If I had to describe myself in a few words I'd say determined and hardworking," Carrier said as he prepared for another day in the weight room and gym. "Obviously, with the numbers athletically, I can succeed. I don't see it as being anything I can't handle.""

Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #85
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Michael Zweifel, WR, Dubuque

Height: 6' 01"
Weight: 190 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.56
Vertical Jump: 35"
Broad Jump: 9' 11"
Short Shuttle: 4.20
3-Cone: 6.52

2011: 140 receptions, 1915 yards, 25 touchdowns
2010: 36 receptions, 512 yards, 2 touchdowns
2009: 111 receptions, 1522 yards, 15 touchdowns
2008: 79 receptions, 974 yards, 4 touchdowns
2007: 97 receptions, 1056 yards, 9 touchdowns

Career: 463 receptions, 5979 yards, 55 touchdowns

Michael Zweifel Wins Gagliardi Trophy by Josh Smith, Jefferson County Daily Union

SALEM, Va. - As a transfer student from UW-River Falls in 2009, University of Dubuque wide receiver Michael Zweifel set a lofty goal - to win the Gagliardi Trophy.

Since that time, Zweifel has found heaps of success on the gridiron, excelled in the classroom and served his community. To put it briefly, he did it all.

For his contributions in all three areas, Zweifel capped his senior season by winning the Gagliardi Trophy - the most prestigious award in NCAA Division III football - Wednesday night.

"I'm just incredibly honored to be privileged with this award," Zweifel said. "There are so many good players in this country, and somehow to have me selected is just incredible."

Zweifel, a 2007 graduate of Whitewater High School, received the award over UW-Whitewater quarterback Matt Blanchard, Monmouth College (Ill.) quarterback Alex Tanney and University of St. Thomas wide receiver Fritz Waldvogel.

In his collegiate career, Zweifel has hauled in 463 receptions, which is more than any other player across all levels of NCAA football. His single season mark of 140 catches in 2011 is a Division III record.

Despite the individual success that includes 5,979 career receiving yards, Zweifel was quick to credit his Spartan teammates.

"It means a lot to me and to my teammates. This is just as much of an award for them as it is for me," said Zweifel, who as achieved a 3.9 grade point average as a Health, Wellness and Recreation major.

Though Zweifel's teammates were not on hand at the Salem Civic Center for the award presentation, his coach and father Stan Zweifel was.

"Guys don't get these individual awards unless the team accomplishes good things. And of course we had a great turnaround, and I really think Michael exemplifies team," Stan Zweifel said, speaking has the coach of Dubuque University. "When you have a good record and things go well for you, someone gets picked out of that group. Michael had an outstanding career, but it's again a result of the success our team had."

Speaking as Michael's father, Stan Zweifel said watching his son accept the award was an unbelievable and humbling experience.

"When he joined us in 2009, we had each of the kids put down an individual goal," Stan Zweifel said. "He put down winning the Gagliardi Trophy. To have this come to fruition and how it finished is remarkable.

"Maybe it's a fairytale. I'm not sure that I'm not dreaming this."

Even Michael Zweifel's peers have a great deal of respect for him. That list of people includes Blanchard, who was attempting to become the second player in UW-Whitewater history to win the Gagliardi Trophy and the first since running back Justin Beaver won the honor in 2007.

"He's extremely deserving. He's got the stats, he's got the off-the-field stuff and he's just a great guy," the UW-W quarterback said. "There is no more deserving person."

Blanchard is the second person in his family to be one of four finalists for the Gagliardi. His brother Derek Blanchard was a finalist in 2007 while playing offensive line for Mount Union (Ohio).

UW-Whitewater's quarterback, who will lead his team into its seventh-straight Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl appearance Friday, said he was proud to be a part of the ceremony.

"It means everything to me. It means a lot to my family," he said. "It's a great honor to be representing the University."

Zweifel is 10th all time across all divisions of NCAA football with 55 touchdowns. He caught 25 in 2011 alone on his way to being named the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference MVP and helping the Spartans (9-2 overall, 7-1 IIAC) win the league championship. This season, he was named the co-player of the year in the West Region by D3football.com.

For his academic achievements, Zweifel has been named to the Dean's List every semester and was recently declared an academic All-American.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #86
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Jake Soy, WR, Northwest Missouri State

Height: 6' 02"
Weight: 215 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.60
Bench: 12 reps
Vertical Jump: 40.5"
Broad Jump: 10' 05"
Short Shuttle: 4.13
3-Cone Drill: 6.95

2011: 37 receptions, 677 yards, 5 touchdowns
2010: 83 receptions, 1311 yards, 11 touchdowns
2009: 92 receptions, 1552 yards, 27 touchdowns
2008: 10 receptions, 140 yards, 1 touchdown

Former Standout Receiver Prepares for Next Level by Chris Schoonover, NWMissourian

Northwest is one of the most storied programs in the history of Division II football, and to go down as one of the best players in the history of the program puts you in elite company. The numbers make it impossible to debate that Jake Soy is one of the top players in the history of Northwest football. “I came into Northwest with a lot to learn, and I put a lot of work in,” Soy said. “There is no secret to life. You work hard and good things happen.”

Soy spent his sophomore and junior year making the lives of opposing corners miserable, collecting 175 receptions for 2,870 yards and 39 touchdowns. “I think the big thing was that he was a student of the game, and I don’t think he got enough credit for that,” head coach Adam Dorrel said. “He really studied football and coverages. I always thought he did a real good job dissecting corners that he was going up against that week and what are their strengths and weaknesses. He caught the ball really well with his hands because if you watched him closely, he did a good job extending his arms, and he has huge hands.”

Soy was expected to continue his reign as a dominant force in the MIAA but was hindered by a foot injury that cut down his production and his time on the field. He was limited to 37 receptions, 677 yards and five touchdowns during his senior campaign.
“Ten years down the road people won’t remember, and it’s a travesty, but if you look at the game against Midwestern State, he made big play after big play, and they were all on third down,” Dorrel said. “I know how much pain he was in, and it meant so much to me to see him get up and go and do the best he could.”

After the season Soy underwent surgery to repair the fracture in his foot and is currently undergoing rehab to get back on the field. “Rehab is going really well,” Soy said. “I got my x-rays back last week and you can’t even see the fracture anymore, which is a big step in the right direction for me. I can start increasing my physical therapy and start running. “I’m taking it day-by-day. The trainers keep telling me not to look at a calendar. It’s just when I’m ready, I’m ready.”

Now that his tenure is over in a Bearcat uniform, Soy is looking to take his football career to the next level. Soy is working out at Pro Edge Performance Training in Chandler, Ariz. to get in shape for his Pro Day on March 23 at Missouri Western, where he hopes to open the eyes of an NFL team. “I expect to be a free agent, and I don’t expect to get drafted,” Soy said. “Just being realistic with my foot injury, and I didn’t have a very productive season this year. My expectation is to have a good Pro Day and get invited to some camps. From there I hope to get an opportunity to show them that I can play.”

Dorrel has also received calls from NFL scouts inquiring about his former star wideout. “I’ve taken some phone calls the last couple of weeks about him,” Dorrel said. “Unfortunately for him, he was hurt his senior year, and we’ve been real adamant with the NFL people and told them not to watch the tapes from his senior year. But they are the NFL, and they will do what they want to do. I think he will end up making a team.”
Soy is an Iowa native and received a preferred walk-on spot for the Hawkeyes but gave up a Division I opportunity after a visit to Northwest.

“I really fell in love with the town,” Soy said. “I stayed down here for two days, and I just really felt at home right away. Honestly, before I came down I had never heard of the school, and I wasn’t planning on coming there, but I decided to give it a chance. I ended up really liking it, and it felt like the right place.” Soy hopes to follow in the footsteps of recent former Bearcats Dave Tollefson, Josh Baker and Xavier Omon, but even with his football future uncertain, he knows his time at Northwest was not wasted. “I am definitely going to give my career in football an opportunity, and if it doesn’t work out, I have no problem using my degree because I worked really hard for that too,” Soy said. “There is a small window of opportunity for something like this, so I’m going to give it everything I have and give myself a chance.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #87
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Nate Eachus, RB, Colgate

Weight: 214 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.58
Bench: 24 reps
Broad Jump: 9' 08"
Vertical Jump: 37 1/2"
Short Shuttle: 4.43
3-Cone Drill: 7.09

2011: 162 carries, 763 yards, 6 touchdowns
2010: 317 carries, 1871 yards, 21 touchdowns
2009: 187 carries, 919 yards, 16 touchdowns
2008: 172 carries, 932 yards, 10 touchdowns

Eachus Still Harboring His Own NFL Dreams by Steve Stallon, Hazelton Standard-Speaker

Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year. Consensus first team All-American. Walter Payton Award finalist.

For Colgate University tailback Nate Eachus, the 2010 football season was truly unforgettable.

The 2011 season, on the other hand, is one he'd just as soon forget.

Injured in the very first game, what was expected to be a dream senior season turned into a nightmare for the Drums native and Hazleton Area High School graduate.

"I had high expectations for my senior year after what I accomplished my junior season," Eachus said. "I worked so hard in the off-season to get ready for my senior year, and the first game I separated my pelvis. That held me back throughout the whole season."

Although he gained 165 yards and scored a touchdown in that season-opening 37-34 overtime win over Albany, his injured pelvis and a head injury sustained later in the fall limited the All-America candidate to just six games in 2011. When he was able to suit up, it limited his effectiveness.

After running for 1,871 yards and 21 scores the year before, Eachus finished his senior season with 763 yards and six rushing touchdowns, the lowest output of his four-year career with the Raiders.

Even though he lit up Fordham for 228 yards - his eighth career game of 200 or more yards - Eachus was unable to duplicate the magic that made him one of the top backs in the country just 12 months before.

"I felt like I was effective when I played, but I wasn't 100 percent," he explained. "I was 60, 70, 80 percent toward the end of the year, but I was nowhere near 100 percent. I tried to suck it up and play, but it affected me. The injury definitely took its toll on me."

It also robbed Eachus of what was supposed to be a record-breaking senior year, one in which he would climb atop the school's all-time rushing list, and lead the Raiders to a Patriot League championship and into the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

"I felt like I let the team down," he said. "It was tough, being a captain and a team leader, not being out there with my team. It was not the way I wanted to end my college career."

Regardless of how it ended, Eachus' college career was remarkable. He finished with 4,485 rushing yards and 53 touchdowns, both ranking him third all-time at Colgate. He also caught the eye of a number of NFL scouts along the way.

"Twenty-seven of the 32 teams came to see me or watch film on me," Eachus said. "I've gotten good feedback from the scouts."

If Eachus was going to get a shot at the next level, he knew he'd have to get himself healthy, and get his body in better shape than it's ever been before.

So Eachus headed to western Pennsylvania, hooked up with a trainer and started himself on the long road to recovery.

Rehabbing in Pittsburgh

"I've been out in Pittsburgh for the last month-and-a-half," Eachus said by phone from the Steel City. "I'll be here until the end of February, getting back in shape."

His workouts include plenty of work in the swimming pool, getting his pelvis back to 100 percent, and chiseling his body back to where it was prior to the injury.

"I've been humbled by this injury," Eachus said. "It's a rare injury. (medically termed Pubic Symphysis Separation). It takes your legs out, and knocks your whole lower body off track.

"It's a slow-healing injury. I'm feeling like I'm getting back to myself again. I'm 85-90 percent now," he added. "I still have a month to go. Time is on my side right now. I'm just taking it one day at a time."

Since the season ended in November, Eachus has added eight pounds of muscle to his 5-foot-10 frame, and is now a solid 220 pounds.

"I've put on some good weight and I'm on a strict diet," he said. "I drink water and eat all proteins, good carbs. There's no greasy foods or fast foods. I'm flushing my body out. I feel strong now."

Eachus' goal is to be back to 100 percent for his pro day, when he'll perform in front of NFL scouts in hopes that they'll take a chance on him either in the upcoming draft or the free agent signing period that follows.

His pro day, which has yet to be scheduled, is his final chance to show them what he can do. Eachus was unable to impress the scouts in senior all-star games due to his lingering pelvis injury.

"I was invited to the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in California, but I had to decline because I wasn't 100 percent," Eachus said. That game featured the likes of LSU quarterback Jarrett Lee, Oregon wide receiver Lavasier Tuinei, Syracuse running back Antwon Bailey, Tulsa quarterback G.J. Kinne, and former Marian High School and UConn offensive lineman Mike Ryan.

"I want to put up good numbers for the scouts on my pro day," he noted. "I've got to run well on my pro day."

Motivated to succeed

If Eachus has any doubt that he can make it at the next level, he need only look to former Southern Columbia High School star Henry Hynoski.

Undrafted out of the University of Pittsburgh, Hynoski caught on as a free agent with the New York Giants in 2011. Not only did he make the team, he became the starting fullback in this, his rookie season, and will be playing in the Super Bowl later today.

"To see what Henry Hynoski has done, it motivates me," Eachus said. "I played against him in a 7-on-7 passing scrimmage in high school. Here's a guy about 20 miles down the road from where I grew up who makes it in the NFL and now he's playing in the Super Bowl. It's exciting. It makes me believe that I can do it too.

"He didn't get drafted, he went through free agency. It just shows you it doesn't matter how you make the team. If you're good enough, you can make it."

Eachus has retained an agent, and is already getting positive feedback from NFL clubs. If they've done their homework, they already know what kind of student-athlete Eachus is.

As a senior in high school, he was named first team all-state and played in the Big 33 Game after running for 2,169 yards and 28 touchdowns, and recording 116 tackles for the 11-2 Cougars, who won the District 2 Class 4A championship and reached the third round of the state playoffs.

A National Honor Society member and two-time Scotty Roman Award winner for the area's top scholar-athlete, Eachus was also a wrestling standout, capturing the 2007 PIAA Class AAA 189-pound championship.

He spurned Division I wrestling offers from Michigan, North Carolina and Virginia to play football at non-scholarship Colgate, a topic which prompted CBS Sports to a do a special feature on Eachus back in November. That versatility has also been grabbing the attention of pro scouts.

"My agent's been meeting with teams. I've gotten good feedback from the scouts, especially with my wrestling background. They like that," he said. "Teams have said the like my blocking ability and the way I catch the ball too (40 career receptions at Colgate).

"I'm a unique runner," noted Eachus, who combines amazing power with deceptive speed to give opposing defensive players fits.

Although he is seen by some scouts as a fullback at the next level, Eachus knows he's probably going to have to play his way onto the field via special teams, much like he did as a freshman with the Cougars eight years ago.

"The way I'm going to make a team is through special teams and earn my spot on a team," he said. "I just want to get a chance right now."

An Eagles fan growing up, Eachus doesn't have a preference as far as what team might take a shot on him, as long as somebody gives him a shot.

"If the Eagles scooped me up, that would be great. But I'd go 3,000 miles to Seattle, I'd play in Pittsburgh. I'd play for anybody, any team. Just give me a chance to show what I can do," he said. "Getting on any team would be a dream come true."

If football doesn't work out, Eachus will fall back on his sociology degree and the connections he has with Colgate alums to land a job in the work force.

"I'm graduating on time, and Colgate has such a good alumni program. I've been in contact with a lot of the alumni who are with big-time companies. There are a lot of opportunities coming out of Colgate, and not just in my major," he said.

But first, he's determined to give playing football on Sundays a try.

"I'm ready to take a shot at the NFL," he said.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #88
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Lyndon Rowells, RB, Humboldt State

Weight: 200 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.6
Bench: 17 reps

2011: 273 carries, 1417 yards, 14 touchdowns; 28 receptions, 239 yards, 1 touchdown
2010: 210 carries, 1308 yards, 15 touchdowns; 24 receptions, 196 yards, 2 touchdowns
2008: 243 carries, 1450 yards, 14 touchdowns; 20 receptions, 141 yards, 1 touchdown; 14 punt returns, 3 P.R. touchdowns
2007: 206 carries, 1366 yards, 12 touchdowns; 23 receptions, 231 yards, 2 touchdowns

Career: 932 carries, 5836 yards (6.0 ypc), 55 touchdowns; 95 receptions, 807 yards, 6 touchdowns; 15 punt returns, 3 touchdowns

Former Humbold State Running Back Working Hard on Impressing Scouts by Ray Aspuria, Eureka Times-Standard

While he performed in front of numerous scouts, Lyndon Rowells knows what needs to happen if he wants a shot at playing the NFL.
”Trying to have one team fall in love with me. It's great to have a bunch of teams look at you, but you only need one to fall in love with you,” the former Humboldt State running back said on Friday evening. Last week, Rowells -- who racked up a total of 2,725 yards and 29 touchdowns on the ground during his two-year Lumberjack career -- earned an opportunity to showcase his skills in front of 21 pro scouts at Sacramento State University. Along with 17 other NFL hopefuls, the Florida native produced a 4.59 40-yard dash time along with 17 reps on the 225-pound bench press. ”I thought it went pretty well considering the conditions,” Rowells said. “It was raining, cold and windy. It wasn't the best to day to have a pro day, but it went well enough.”

But was it good enough to catch a scout's eye? ”I got interest from a few people and, according to my agent, I turned some heads,” Rowell said. “I'm just thankful I was blessed with an opportunity to showcase my skills.” Turns out, a former Humboldt State teammate -- defensive back Jordan McGowan -- was also showing off his skills and helped Rowells get into a comfort zone. ”It was pretty cool,” he said. “It's someone you know that is going through the same experience as you. You have aperson you're familiar with to help you along the way.”

At 5-foot-10, 200 pounds and coming from a small Division II school, Rowells is well aware if his name were to be called during the NFL Draft, it will probably occur in the late stages. It is more likely he will have to take the route former Humboldt State teammate and current New York Jets offensive lineman Taylor Boggs had to take to get to the NFL -- undrafted free agency. That sounds good to Rowells. ”I just don't care (if I'm not drafted),” he said. “Of course there's the hype of getting drafted, but if you're a free agent, you get to pick the situation you're going into. You get to see the offense, what running backs they have, or if they even use the running back.
”Yeah, drafted thing is nice, but free agency is just as great.” What would a team get if they sign Lyndon Rowells? ”I'll do anything you need to help make the team better in anyway,” he said. “I always put the team first. There's no ego. I'm just here to help. Whatever you need, I got you.” Rowells isn't adverse to a position change, showing his team-oriented nature. ”If they need me to play slot, I'll play slot,” he said. “I like catching the ball anyway. If they want me to play defensive back, I'll try it out. I'm looking to help the team. Special teams? I'm fine with that.”

When asked which NFL squad would be like playing for, Rowells trucked the question like a would-be tackler. ”Which ever one is going to put me on the final roster,” he said with a laugh.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #89
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Nic Cooper, Running Back, Winston-Salem

Height: 6' 00"
Weight: 240 lbs.
40 yard dash: 4.6 (estimated)

2011: 267 carries, 1808 yards, 22 touchdowns; 22 receptions, 233 yards, 2 touchdowns
2010: 184 carries, 1194 yards, 15 touchdowns; 10 receptions, 57 yards, 0 touchdowns
2009: Sat out the season with academic issues
2008: 92 carries, 488 yards, 2 touchdowns

Nic Cooper Preparing for NFL Draft by Jamal Williams, The News Argus

The Ram Nation can bid farewell to Winston- Salem State football star running back Nicholas Cooper because he has decided to pursue a career in the National Football League. Cooper, a redshirt senior from Clinton, N.C. will forgo his last semester of eligibility and enter his name into the 2012 NFL draft.
His last season proved to be his best. He finished with 1,808 rushing yards on 267 carries, averaging 6.8 per carry with 22 touchdowns. He averaged 129 rushing yards per game.

The decision to enter the draft was not his original plan after the 2011 season. The situation that presented a problem was the guidelines for his eligibility to play next fall. He would have had to sit out or take off the spring semester and take some classes to be eligible to participate for the fall season. The dilemma for Cooper was not the classes or sitting out a semester but the cost of the classes. “I was working out as a regular student-athlete at school every day until I got that call informing me about the requirements for my eligibility,” Cooper said.

Cooper was an interdisciplinary studies major and needed 20 to 30 hours to graduate. Most of his classes were to be completed online. “After the call, I went home and talked with my parents to get some guidance then signed with an agent,.” Since entering the, draft he has been training in Charlotte at Velocity gym, working on resistance, techniques, and drills for pro days.
“I am a solid 240 pounds, but I am faster than I used to be; it’s crazy,” Cooper said. Cooper expects to test well at the workouts that he goes to in March and April. He is scheduled to attend Wake Forest University and Coastal Carolina pro days. “After the pro days and workouts things are going to get crazy so all I can do is continue to work out and get better.”

Cooper has won various awards including CIAA Championship MVP and All-American. But he said he knows being drafted by the NFL can be added to that list of accomplishments. One of his former coaches told him that NFL stands for “Not For Long,” Cooper said. “That’s why I have to finish school and get my degree.” Cooper said that after football he still has “the rest of my life to work.”

The production of Cooper will be missed on the field, but Cooper said he will miss his experiences and people at WSSU. “The relationships I have built over the past five years with teammates and the joking with my coaches I will truly miss.” Brian Williams, a strong safety for the Rams grew up with Cooper.
“Coop [Cooper] has always been like a brother to me since I was 7 years old, and he knows my parents like I know his parents,” Williams said. Cooper and Williams both graduated from Clinton High School in 2007. “When I was looking to transfer from UNC-Pembroke, I knew coming to WSSU with Nicholas was the right decision because I knew he would lead me in the right direction,” Williams said.

In the 2011 season, Cooper was a team captain on along with three other teammates one being junior quarterback Kameron Smith from Garner N.C. “Coop was a humble and wholesome guy that made his teammates better,” Smith said. Smith will not have the luxury of handing off to the 240 pound “Big Fella” in the upcoming 2012 season but said he is ready to build off last year’s success. “During my five years, I have learned time management, accountability, integrity and doing the right things when no one is looking,” Cooper said.

Not much video on Cooper is available -- however, watch his runs at :45 and 1:45 to get a feeling for what a load he is!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #90
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Jeremiah Warren, OG, USF

Height: 6' 03"
Weight: 324 lbs.
Hand: 10 1/4"
Arm: 35 1/4"
Wingspan: 84"
40-yard dash: 5.43
Bench reps: 28
Broad Jump: 8' 5"
Vertical Jump: 31"
Short Shuttle: 4.81
3-Cone Drill: 7.85

Analysis from Pro Football Weekly:

Notes
Also participated in wrestling (had a 32-0 record as a senior) and track (threw the shot put and discus) as a Florida prep. Redshirted in 2007. Saw action in seven games as a reserve lineman in ’08 after missing part of camp with a sprained ankle. Started all 13 games in ’09, making eight starts at left tackle and five at left guard. Made all 13 starts at left guard in ’10 and then started all 12 contests in ’11.

Positives
Plays with pop in his hands and can jolt defenders off the ground with a violent punch (see Miami, Fla.). Plays with a mean streak. Outstanding upper-body strength. Good competitor.

Negatives
Heavy-legged and tight-hipped. Bends too much from the waist and overextends. Struggles to adjust to movement and can be stressed by quickness. Sloppy technique and footwork — relies too much on his upper-body strength. Average instincts and awareness.

Summary
A feisty, short-area mauler who stands out most for his physicality and could find a role in a power-blocking scheme and potentially even be tried at center.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #91
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Aston Whiteside, DE/LB, Abilene Christian

Height: 6' 01 3/8"
Weight: 265 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.74
Bench reps: 19
Vertical Jump: 33.5"
Broad Jump: 9' 03"

2011: 40 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, 6 sacks
2010: 28 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks
2009: 35 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks
2008: 30 tackles, 16.0 tackles for loss, 9 sacks

Son, Scott's NFL Opportunity Motivate Wildcats DE Whiteside by Joey Richards, reporternews

Aston Whiteside just has to look in his son’s eyes, and that’s all the motivation he needs. He doesn’t want his son, 1-year-old Ashton Whiteside Jr., to live a life like he did growing up in Vernon.

And the best way Whiteside can ensure that doesn’t happen is on the football field. Football was his ticket out of Vernon, and it’s still the ticket to a better life — hopefully one in the NFL when Whiteside finishes his collegiate career at Abilene Christian after the 2011 season.

“He motivates me a lot,” Whiteside said about his son. “Vernon is not a place I want to go back to after college. I’m not knocking the place. But since Day 1, football has always been a way out for me.”

Whiteside, a two-year starter at defensive end, said there were too many temptations in Vernon, especially while growing up on the poor side of town. Football is what kept those temptations at bay.

“There’s a lot of trouble in Vernon,” Whiteside said. “Football was a way to stay away from it.”

Whiteside was a star on both sides of the ball at Vernon High School, including running back. He ran for 1,934 yards and 24 touchdowns his senior season in 2006, leading the Lions to the Class 3A Division II state semifinals.

But unlike his cousin Bernard Scott, one of ACU’s all-time great running backs now playing his second year with the Cincinnati Bengals, Whiteside was destined to play defense in college. Scott’s success, though, still inspires Whiteside. Scott made the best of things after a troubled football career that included stops at three other colleges before ACU.

“I remember when I was in middle school and he was a junior,” Whiteside said. “Me and the family, we jumped in the red Suburban and watched him play. When he went off to college, he got into a little trouble. Just seeing him staying after it, because he knew it was what he wanted to do, inspired me. He kept his eye on the prize.”

And that prize is the NFL. It’s still a dream for Whiteside — one he knows rests in what he accomplishes these last two seasons with the Wildcats.

After being redshirted his freshman year, Whiteside teamed with Scott to help the Wildcats win a Lone Star Conference title and go three rounds deep in the NCAA Division II playoffs in 2008. While Scott was putting up numbers that helped him win the Harlon Hill Award, the Division II equivalent of the Heisman Trophy, Whiteside was dominating on defense, earning LSC South co-defensive lineman of the year honors. He finished third in the LSC in sacks (9) and sixth in tackles for losses (16 for 109 yards). Whiteside had 30 tackles overall, forced two fumbles, blocked a kick and recovered four fumbles — one he returned 29 yards for a touchdown.

Last year, Whiteside was second in the LSC in sacks (9.5) and fifth in tackles for loss (15.5 for 98 yards). He had 35 tackles overall in earning first-team all-LSC South honors for the second straight year. And ACU’s defense, ranked No. 1 in the nation against the rush, was the main reason the Wildcats went 9-4 and reached the second round of the playoffs.

ACU coach Chris Thomsen gives Whiteside of lot credit for the Wildcats success on defense.

“First and foremost, he’s a heck of a pass rusher,” Thomsen said. “You’ve got to have somebody who can apply pressure to the passer. But he also makes a lot of tackles behind the line of scrimmage in the run game. He’s going to put teams in second-and-12, because he’ll slip through and do things that other people can’t do. He’ll make plays in that situation. He’s a huge part of our defense. Since he’s been playing, we’ve led the league in defense two years in a row. It’s obviously not all because of him. We’ve got other guys, and the coaches on that side of the ball do a great job. But he’s a catalyst for a lot of that success.”

But Whiteside knows he’s got to elevate his game even more, especially late in the season, if he wants to catch NFL scout’s eyes these last two seasons at ACU. So he’s determined to work harder and reach for that prize — a way out for both he and his son. After all, Bernard Scott did it — coming out of the poor side of town in Vernon to getting drafted by the Bengals in 2009.

“I think I can be just like him,” Whiteside said. “I look up to him. I’ve seen his work ethic. I pray to God every night. I have faith. I think if I work hard, anything is possible.”

“Since he’s been playing, we’ve led the league in defense two years in a row. It’s obviously not all because of him. ... But he’s a catalyst for a lot of that success.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #92
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Ryan Davis, DE/LB, Bethune-Cookman

Height: 6' 02 3/8"
Weight: 259 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.85
Bench reps: 21
Broad Jump: 9' 09"
Vertical Jump: 33"
Short Shuttle: 4.44
3-Cone Drill: 7.45

2011: 61 tackles, 21.5 tackles for loss, 12 sacks
2010: 58 tackles, 18.0 tackles for loss, 8 sacks
2009: 55 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks,
2008: 9 tackles, 1 tackle for loss

Diamond in the Rough by Damond Talbot, Optimum Scouting
In 1904, Bethune-Cookman University was founded by an amazing African American educator by the name of Mary McLeod Bethune. McLeod Bethune was a very hard worker who wanted the best for the children during the roughest times in History for blacks. She worked in the Black Cabinet for Franklin D. Roosevelt and was a great friend of FDR’s wife Eleanor. She started off with only six girl students in 1904, and later went on to open a school for boys. Mary McLeod Bethune was an intelligent, devoted person who believed in peace and equality.

Now that Mary McLeod Bethune has passed, the Wildcat football team still remembers everything she did to build this tradition. When Defensive End, Ryan Davis was asked about Mary McLeod Bethune and the BCU University he stated, “If she were here in front of me, I would thank her, because she was brave enough to stand up to the KKK members and put a school here in Daytona for us.” Davis went on to say “To put on the Uniform and hear the band and fans screaming, words, can’t describe the feeling you get. “ Ryan Davis hopes to build a legacy of his own just like Mary McLeod Bethune, but he hopes to do it on the football field.

Ryan Davis was born and raised in the Tampa, Florida Area where he played both basketball and football his entire life. Thanks to his athleticism, he become dominant in two sports. In basketball, Ryan won 2 Slam dunk contests in Hillsborough County, sealing his victory with an electrifying Windmill dunk off a bounce. In football, he played both defensive end and tight end, productive at both spots.

At 6’4, 215 leaving high school Davis was hoping to get a chance to play offense at tight end for a big-time program. After being minimally courted by Florida, UCF and even UCLA, he only received one scholarship: Bethune- Cookman.

He was red-shirted as a receiver his first year, giving him time to learn the playbook. The coaching staff soon realized Davis wasn't the same player they had initially scouted. After reviewing his game film in high school, a strong, gifted athlete emerged, and they decided that maybe offense wasn't his true position. BCU coaching staff asked Ryan to add on a few pounds and play a hybrid OLB/Defensive End.

Ryan, a big fan of putting up points on offense, wasn't too excited to play defense. Davis didn’t back down from the challenge, however. Instead, he accepted it. “I was not very happy about the switch but I knew I wanted to play football and whatever was asked of me, I would do.”

In his first real year he had bulked up to 260 and didn’t lose a step. He started his very first game against Morgan State in 2008, never leaving the defensive line rotation all year. "The hardest transition was learning to read the offensive tackle, and playing different kind of blocks. I knew I was faster than the OT, but with the right technique I was able to get past him.”

He caused havoc in the backfield and even was able to score a touchdown, quenching his high school thirst for putting up points himself, in his second game of the year on a fumble recovery against Delaware State.

Davis seemed to complete his transition in his second year, as he ended his sophomore season with 55 tackles, fourth on the team in tackles, and first in sacks with 3.5, including a huge play on a goal line stance to save the game and beat Savannah State.

In 2009, he was able to show his speed off the blocks and stir up plays in the backfield, and in 2010, he totaled 17 tackles for loss leading the team, was third in tackles with 57 and once again led the team in sacks with 6.5.

Ryan prides himself on possessing something that you cannot teach: the will to never quit. He doesn't take plays off, he's always disturbing the backs behind the line of scrimmage, and constantly is getting after and putting pressure on the QB.

In 2011, Ryan was blessed when Bethune-Cookman hired LSU’s Defensive Line Coach Earl Lane. Defensive Line Coach Earl Lane knows a thing about football, as he coached Louisiana State grad such as Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey, Ricky Jean Francois and Chase Pittman, all drafted in the NFL. “Ryan has an excellent first-two steps, he is very athletic, and is very smart football player who does a great job against the run.” Coach Lane said of Davis. He has received calls from NFL scouts in regards to Ryan.

“I believe if he continues to improve along the lines he is going right now, he will definitely have a chance in the NFL. His best attributes are his athleticism and his power at the point of attack. He has the ability to become a drop linebacker, and can cover backs out the backfield as well as the slot receiver, He can do it all as a defensive end.”

“Ryan practices every day, as if it is a game. He is all over the place, doesn’t take plays off, and believes in making everyone better.”

As said before, on film, it's easy to see Davis's work-ethic and motor on the field. “He has a very good motor," Coach Lane continued. "I know one thing, the offense doesn’t always like the way Ryan practices, because he makes it very difficult.” So far, Davis has 9 sacks on the season and hoping he can continue that production and NFL attention. Like the paths of Rasheen Mathis and Nick Collins before him, he hopes his ends in the NFL.

“I think that is everyone’s dream, who plays college football, I hope my dream becomes a reality.” Davis is a great athlete and still learning his position. He started playing defensive end full time in 2008, his freshman year, but continues learning more and more every year. He has the speed to turn the corner, gets a good jump off the line, and has a good closing burst. He does needs to add some more strength, especially in the lower body, but shows the ability to anchor. His techniques are really getting better and has awesome rip and swim moves. Davis plays low and is able to get off blockers well.

Because of his size and speed, he should get some looks from the NFL but will need to continue improving, both in season and after the year is through. Ryan Davis future as a football player at the next level is unsure. But based off of the way he's developed, his work-ethic and motor, and the praise of his coaches, he may be able to echo a quote of Mary McLeod Bethune herself.

“Invest in the human soul. Who knows, it might be a diamond in the rough.”

Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #93
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Chris Mayes, DE/LB, Wesley College

Height: 6' 03"
Weight: 250 lbs.

2011: 48 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks
2010: 64 tackles, 32.5 tackles for loss, 17.5 sacks
2009: 65 tackles, 34.5 tackles for loss, 13 sacks
2008: DNP
2007: 4 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks

Career: 181 tackles, 90 tackles for loss , 40 sacks

Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #94
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

DeShawn Shead, CB/S, Portland State

Height: 6' 01"
Weight: 216
40-yard dash: 4.56
Bench reps: 24
Broad Jump: 10' 01"
Short Shuttle: 4.23
3-Cone Drill: 6.76

2011: 64 tackles, 2 interceptions, 10 passes defensed
2010: 51 tackles, 0 interceptions, 7 passes defensed
2009: 45 tackles, 3 interceptions, 10 passes defensed
2008: 51 tackles, 6 interceptions, 13 passes defensed

Playmaker DeShawn Shead Makes an Easy Transition by Mike Lund, Portland State website
Any football coach will tell you that you've got to give your best players a chance to make plays. It's as true on defense as it is on offense. So this spring, Portland State Head Football Coach Nigel Burton is making what is likely to be a permanent move of All-Conference cornerback DeShawn Shead to strong safety.

"We just felt like DeShawn had the right characteristics in terms of leadership," Burton said. "He's vocal. He has the size and the intelligence to make the move. In addition, we felt good about our depth at the corner spot. So, we thought it would be a good move for us.

"Last year, (opponents) could throw away from him, run away from him. Now, he can be more of a centerfielder and it will give him an opportunity to make more plays and be more of a presence."

Even being isolated by opponents much of last season, Shead still made 51 tackles, a team-high seven pass breakups and had two fumble recoveries. But he had no interceptions, after nabbing nine picks in his first two seasons. It was a strong indicator of how seldom he saw the ball passed to his side of the field.

Now at safety, the 6-2, 210-pound Shead will see the entire field as opposed to just one side, and have a chance to chase down the ball wherever it may be. He acknowledges there is a difference in the way he has to play.

"It's Angles. Football is a game of angles," Shead said before a recent practice. "You would think it would be no different. But moving from the corner to the safety, its all different angles. I've got the speed for the angles. Its just the adjustment. As a corner you come from the side. Now, I've got the north and south angles to work with as well."

The other big question about making a position move is knowledge. But, it is no coincidence that Shead - an Academic All-Big Sky Conference honoree last season - has handled that as well.

"He knew the position before we moved him to it," Burton said.

Does he like the change?

"I am in the middle of the field. Teams are going to have to throw my way," Shead said with a wry smile.

The move was actually tested out late last season. Shead started the final two games at safety after making 31 straight starts as a cornerback. In fact, Shead has played and started more games than any Viking heading into his senior season. In those three seasons, he has 147 tackles, 21 pass breakups and a total of 13 takeaways. That is making plays.

Increased talent and depth at cornerback makes Shead's move to safety a little easier for Burton.

"We just feel good about (JC transfer) Aaron Kincy and what he can bring to the table. We like David Ross and Mike Williams. They have a lot of experience and started games for us last year. You throw in (redshirt freshman) Karrington Jones and Denzel Davis as well as some guys that are coming in the fall and we feel good about the position."

With three weeks of spring practice now in the books, Shead's move to safety has been part of a much-improved effort by the defense.

"It has been exciting to watch them in terms of causing takeaways," Burton said. "We are tacking better. We are pursuing better. We are more assignment sound and the competition is dictating that. Nobody is comfortable (in terms of earning their roles)."

Except maybe for Shead, who has been a mainstay for three years.

"The defense as a whole has been pretty good. But I think we are going to be great," Shead said. "We now have a linebacker corps that if you put the twos in, they are just as good as the ones. They are all battling for a spot. The depth on the defense is really good and should be a big part of our success this season."

Over the long haul Shead stands to make some personal gain from moving to safety as well. His size, athleticism, smarts, and football acumen will earn him a serious look from NFL scouts this fall.
Burton knows what is going to give his star defender a chance to play on Sundays: "His versatility. As a player, what you try and show the NFL is there is value in picking me. I can do multiple things. I can punt return. I can play special teams. I can play corner or safety. In the long run this is a good move for him if he has got a future there. They only have 53 spots on a team, so they need players who are versatile."

Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #95
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Sean Baker, FS, Ball State

"He's got Bette Davis eyes...."

Height: 5' 11 3/8"
Weight: 210 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.65
Bench reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 9' 06"
Broad Jump: 33 1/2"
Short Shuttle: 4.24
3-Cone Drill: 6.85

2011: 77 tackles, 2 interceptions, 6 passes defensed
2010: 88 tackles, 6 interceptions, 10 passes defensed
2009: 61 tackles, 4 interceptions, 7 passes defensed
2008: 94 tackles, 6 interceptions, 16 passes defensed

Career: 320 tackles, 18 interceptions, 39 passes defensed

Notes from Pro Football Weekly:

Also played baseball and basketball as an Ohio prep. Redshirted in 2007. Played in all 14 games in ’08, starting the final 10, and registered 94 tackles, 10 pass breakups and six interceptions with four tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. Was named the national defensive player of the week after posting 9-1-3 with a 33-yard fumble-return touchdown against Akron. In ’09, started 11 games and tallied 61-3-4 with 3 1/2 tackles for loss and one forced fumble. Suffered a broken right hand against Army and missed the Auburn game. Became Ball State’s career interception leader in ’10 after posting 88-4-6 with seven tackles for loss, his first career sack, two forced fumbles and a blocked kick. The team MVP returned a fumble 26 yards for a TD against Buffalo. Two-time team captain.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #96
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post

I think this has been covered. He is NOT eligible to play in the NFL this year unless he enters the supplemental draft. You have to declare and be DRAFT eligible coming out of college, before an NFL team can select you or pick you up in the current year. His draft rights would be exclusive to a Supplemental draft pick at this point and makes him useless as an UDFA. He could not be obtained with that this year.

That's the point.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #97
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Matt Johnson, SS, Eastern Washington

Height: 6' 00 5/8"
Weight: 211 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.54
Bench reps: 18
Broad Jump: 10' 01"
Short Shuttle: 4.07
3-Cone Drill: 6.84

2011: 52 tackles, 2 interceptions
2010: 105 tackles, 5 interceptions
2009: 101 tackles, 6 interceptions
2008: 83 tackles, 4 interceptions

Career: 341 tackles, 17 interceptions

Matt Johnson Joins Twin Brother with Season-Ending Injury by Meg Wochnik, The Olympian
Eastern Washington University’s injury woes in the 2011 football season have been painful enough to witness let alone play with, and finally, the pain became too much for All-America strong safety and Tumwater High graduate Matt Johnson to cope with.

Playing with a painful biceps tendon injury since the second game of the season, Johnson, a 2007 Tumwater High School graduate, will undergo surgery next week as his illustrious 45-game career will come to a premature ending, Eastern head coach Beau Baldwin announced Wednesday (Oct. 19).

“What he’s been able to accomplish here has been amazing, both individually and what he has helped us accomplish as a team,” said Baldwin. “He can certainly hold his head up high – he’s a great ambassador for our program.”

On Sept. 27, Baldwin announced the season-ending knee injury of Matt’s twin brother, Zach Johnson, an Eastern linebacker who graduated with his brother from Tumwater in 2007. Before the season began, the Johnson twins were selected as Eastern’s two defensive co-captains for the 2011 season.

Matt Johnson ends his career as the fifth-leading tackler in school history with 341, and also finishes second on the school’s all-time lists for interceptions (17) and interception return yards (219). After starting every game Eastern has played the last four seasons – with a collective record of 30-15 -- he exits tied as the all-time leader in career forced fumbles with six.

A bonafide professional prospect, Johnson is the team’s second-leading tackler with 52, including a team-high eight tackles for loss. He has 1 1/2 sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and a quarterback hurry this season.

He finished his career just one interception away from the school record of 18 set by Mike Richter from 1971-75. Johnson is currently tied with former NFL 10-year veteran Kurt Schulz (EWU letter winner 1988-91) and long-time Canadian Football League standout Jackie Kellogg (1990-93), who both have 17 each. Johnson was also only nine interception return yards from the record of 219 held by Schulz, and his six career forced fumbles are tied for the school record along with J.C. Sherritt (2007-10) and Chris Scott (1994-97).

Matt has 341 tackles in his career to move into fifth all-time at Eastern – just five from moving into fourth (Derek Strey had 346 from 1994-97) and only six from third (Jason Marsh had 347 from 1991-93). Johnson had five interceptions in 2010 to help Eastern lead the FCS with 26.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #98
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

I got 'em. All of 'em. It's stupid, but I fist-pumped when I saw the results. I did.

**sigh**

Cordarro Law, DE/OLB, Southern Miss
Frank Alexander, DE/OLB, Oklahoma
Garth Gerhart, C/G, Arizona State
Matt Daniels, S, Duke
Tavon Wilson, S, Illinois
Josh Chichester, TE, Louisville
Patrick Witt, QB, Yale
Blake Gideon, S, Texas

Here's a little info on them:

Cordarro Law, E/OLB, So. Miss.

Law is a sleeper prospect who could reward the team that drafts him. He looks like a potential fit in the 3-4. The key with Law is for him to stay motivated and improving on his motor. He did not participate in the Combine.

03/24/12 - Southern Miss Pro Day: Friday was a big day for former Southern Miss defensive end Cordarro Law. Although he had one of the best seasons for a defender in Conference USA in 2011, he's mostly flown under the radar when it comes to the NFL. On Friday, Law had his chance to shine at USM's Pro Day. "I believe I opened eyes up," he said. "I showed a lot of people I can do different things. Overall, today was a good day." The 6-foot-2, 260-pound Law was impressive in his workouts, looking a step quicker as he went through drills in front of the NFL scouts. He worked out as both a linebacker and defensive end as he tries to prove he can be a pass rusher at the next level.

Cordarro had an amazing forty yard dash for a big guy as he ran a 4.74 forty, a 4.32 in the short shuffle, and posted 23 reps of 225 pounds on the bench. He measured in on the smaller side at 6’1 ½ and weighed in at 257 pounds. He will definitely get late round grades from NFL teams.

Cordarro Law is an undersized defensive lineman as he is listed at 6’2”, 261 pounds but may weigh more than that. He is a pretty athletic defensive lineman, he flashed a nice spin move in this game, solid hand usage, and has been an absolute TFL machine this year. After this game I believe he will have 20 if not more on the year which is very impressive. He is very consistently disruptive due to his athletic ability, burst and quickness. I like his potential as a DT in a 4-3 scheme but if he is lighter than 280 pounds he is going to need to gain some weight because even 280 pounds is pretty undersized for a 4-3 DT. He has legitimate upside and while I’m not sure he will be a very high draft pick I have a gut feeling that he will be involved in a NFL rotation sooner rather than later. He’s got a good motor, solid technique and good athleticism. He can contribute at DT if he can add weight without losing the quickness that has made him so disruptive.

Last edited by JCMElway; 10-19-2013 at 08:02 AM..
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #99
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Frank Alexander, DE/OLB, Oklahoma

Alexander has put on some weight, but was not allowed to work out at the Combine because of a heart condition he wasn't aware of. After further tests, Alexander was cleared to work out at the Oklahoma pro day. His heart condition has sent his stock down from the mid-rounds to the late rounds.

The end-of-year awards are being dolled out as we speak, and one Sooner is rightfully getting his named called an awful lot.

One of six finalists for the Ted Hendricks Award for best defensive end. Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year. Big 12 Co-Defensive Player of the Year. All-Big 12 First Team. Big 12 leader in both sacks (8.5) and tackles-for-loss (18 for 76 yards). The All-American lists haven't started coming out yet, but you can bet he will be in the mix.

I'm talking, of course, about Ronnell Lewis, right? The projected first-rounder in the 2012 NFL Draft?

In the now overused, uninspiring words of poor ol' Lee Corso, not so fast my friend!

Senior defensive end Frank Alexander was called upon in the offseason to step up his game, and he more than answered the call. He picked up the phone, screamed "GOT IT, COACH," and then bashed the phone into tiny pieces.

Frank was an absolute terror for opposing offenses all season long, seemingly in the backfield on every play causing trouble. He ran down running backs, smashed quarterbacks and even played the pass well, batting down seven balls at the line and even recording an interception. Alexander did it all, filling the stat sheet.

He was at his best in the big games, displaying pure dominance in important games against Texas and Baylor, combining for 7.5 TFL, four sacks and a forced fumble in the two games.

So, seeing the big news for Alexander today after he was awarded all of the Big 12 honors, I skipped over to ESPN (I know, I know) to check his draft status. I expected to find a pretty good grade, somewhere in the high 70s or even low 80s (depending on how biased the grader was) and a third- to fourth-round grade.

83858687_crop_340x234 Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

I figured I was being fairly realistic, considering he only had one year of big-time production and was dinged up a few times in the process.

What did I find? A draft grade of 62 and a sixth- to seventh-round grade. I know they haven't had time to update their rankings in the last few days (even though it's their job), but it's not like the guy came out of nowhere! I checked several other draft "expert" sites and found nearly the same grade.

ESPN has him ranked as the 13th-best defensive end in the country. Who is listed above him? Take a look at this list and see if you can make sense of it.

No. 13: Frank Alexander, SR Oklahoma (8.5 sacks, 18.0 TFL)

No. 12: Trevor Guyton, SR California (4.5 sacks, 10.0 TFL)

No. 11: Kyle Wilbur, SR Wake Forest (3.5 sacks, 10.5 TFL)

No. 10: Devin Taylor, JR USC (5.0 sacks, 6.5 TFL)

No. 9: Adewale Ojomo, JR Miami (1.5 sacks, 3.0 TFL)

Not only has Alexander tremendously outproduced this motley crew, but he his taller and/or heavier than each one while running a 4.8 second 40-yard dash. That's tight-end speed! As I'm sure you can imagine, none of these players were on the Hendricks award short list with Alexander, either.

After Ojomo, we get to beasts like No. 8 Jack Crawford of Penn State (6'5", 270 pounds!) and No. 7 Jarred Crick of Nebraska (total freak!) so I would slot Alexander in at the No. 9 spot. This would give him a fourth- to fifth-round grade, which more accurately reflects his abilities. Still, I believe he is vastly undervalued in this range.

His stock will probably rise some over the next few months, but he will likely be lost in the shuffle a bit in a pretty deep defensive end class, making him a prime candidate for a draft day steal.

If you were an NFL general manager in need of some help on the defensive line, would you rather risk a valuable second-round pick on FSU's Brandon Jenkins (who had a huge drop off this year) or make a safer pick in the fourth round for Alexander?

Watch for Alexander to get taken a little ahead of his projection this year by one of the better-drafting teams in the league like the Ravens, Colts or Patriots.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #100
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Garth Gerhart, C/G, Arizona State

Strengths: Possesses a filled-out frame with good thickness and strength. Has quick feet with good initial burst pulling and blocking in space. Technically sound with very good awareness and football IQ -- plays smart and understands angles and body positioning. Aggressive and plays with a top motor -- very hard worker and effort player, getting the most out of his ability. Feisty and tough, playing through multiple injuries and refusing to leave the field -- tough as nails. Very good starting experience with 35 career starts (30 at center, 5 at right guard) with attractive pro leadership traits. Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size and strength for the position with limited growth potential -- short and squatty. Has limited arm strength and struggles ...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: