The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious
Default Trade Down and Take this Guy

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profil...son?id=2532959

Overview

Thompson brings value to the NFL in that he can play both defensive tackle or nose tackle at the next level. With his size and athletic ability, Thompson has been a disruptive force for Clemson. He plays stout against the run and will plug the hole well for an NFL team. He is able to find the ball as a defender and is effective after the snap in making plays in the backfield. He doesn't bring a ton of pass-rush ability, but he will be able to serve as a strong presence up front. He has the talent to warrant a late first or early second-round pick.

Analysis

Strengths
Thompson is an incredible run defender inside. He is consistent in his play and uses his feet to make plays against the run. He comes off the ball quickly and is able to fill gaps well at his size. He also makes plays on the ball carrier. He is a very strong player who knows how to use his hands and disrupt plays in the backfield.

Weaknesses
Thompson tends to be negated by double teams inside. His substandard technique can limit him at times and contributes to his inability to get past those doubles. Though he is stellar against the run, he is limited against the pass, only occasionally making things happen as a rusher.
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Agree. I do. The same. As well. Also.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

How far back? Thompson could very well end up as a late 1st rounder
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

A 1 trick pony as our first pick...No thank you.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Just get him in the 2nd, no reason to lose out on a chance on guys like Hightower, Konz, Still, Worthy, Kirkpatrick. I would rather ship out a lower pick or two to get up in the 2nd and get him.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

does Price agree this pick?
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

This guy doesn't go hard enough. The last thing you want to do in the NFL Draft is make your top pick someone who is only good at one thing. If we want a fatty to stuff the run, we can wait till a few rounds later. No way.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Sounds like Carlton Powell.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Jeff Legwold says the Broncos have struggled to find defensive line talent in the draft, and his proof is that they've only gotten two future Pro Bowlers in the past 30 years. Pretty compelling stuff, huh?

Well, Legwold holds up the Ravens as a model for success that Denver should strive for.

Anyone care to guess how many Pro Bowl defensive linemen they've drafted in their 16 years of existence? One.

Maybe we should check in on the Steelers. How many Pro Bowl defensive linemen do you think they've drafted in 30 years? Three.

How about the Giants? After all, they are routinely loaded on the line. They must have drafted a ton of Pro Bowl linemen, right? How about four in 30 years?

Today's lesson? Finding talent in the draft is really hard. This does not only apply to the Broncos. The lesson that Pro Bowl selections are a horrible measure for this sort of stuff? That's for another day...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...y-lard-4-14-12

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...than-hits-when
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBuff View Post
does Price agree this pick?
Yeah, that would be fine by me.

1. The only DT's I like in this draft are Cox, Wolfe, and Thompson.

2. Brockers, Reyes and Still (if he stays healthy) are decent, but nothing special.

3. Worthy is just a rotational guy.

4. Poe, Martin, Crick, and Ta'amu are backups.

I would rather pick Kendall Wright or Peter Konz in the 1st, and trade up from #57 for Wolfe or Thompson. I don't think anybody will want to trade up to get the pick at #25.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-14-2012 at 03:32 PM..
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

As med has said Martin could be the best DT out of the bunch
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Martin could also end up being a total turd. Dude screams average.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I would definitely trade back if I were the Broncos...that's if they get the right offer to trade back out of the first.

Thompson
Wolf
Reyes
Worthy

One or more of those 4 will be there between 33-48. If we could trade back, and still get one of these guys, while picking up an extra 2nd round pick...we would be stupid not to do it. Are the guys above, that much worse, than these guys:

Poe
Cox
Brockers
Still

I don't think so. If we trade back to anywhere between 33-48...we will still get 1 of these 8 guys. Hell, we might even get 2 of the 8 if we want them.

Trade, trade, trade!!! We need young talent at DT, CB, LB, & RB!!!

Last edited by Hamrob; 04-14-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I think the Broncos should take Wright in the first and then try to maximize DT potential through quantity. Take Thompson, Wolfe, Martin, Ta Amu and if you have a chance, Reyes, Still, or Winn... Get two of those guys and you maximize your chances of their success. Take Worthy in the first (who I really like btw) and you are unlikely to address the position again until the 5th or 6th round.

Give me Wright or Lamar Miller with the 1st. They will have a much more immediate impact on our success.

You can't ignore DT, but you also can't ignore the fact that DTs rarely are productive their rookie years... Yet another reason to take a couple of the middle tiered guys in the 2nd or 3rd round.m
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
As med has said Martin could be the best DT out of the bunch
I respect Med a great deal, but Martin is not that special. He has great footspeed, but is built like a fire hydrant with stubby arms. He can't see what's going on behind the line, and he is easy to turn. His wide body makes it difficult for him to squeeze through traffic to get to the QB. He will make a play every now and then, but his body dimensions really hurt his vision and ability to get off blocks. Martin is a 3rd rounder, backup.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-14-2012 at 03:45 PM..
Old 04-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I really like Thompson, but he's strictly a run stuffer. Run stuffing DTs are like RBs, a dime a dozen. We already have really good one in Bannan. If you are going to invest a top pick in a DT, it needs to be someone with pass rush potential. I'd be fine with Thompson with our 2nd, but he probably won't last that long. He's too one-dimensional to invest a 1st or high 2nd (if we trade down) on.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Isn't Wolfe a better fit as a DE in a 3-4? Not sure if he would work as a DT in a 4-3.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
Isn't Wolfe a better fit as a DE in a 3-4? Not sure if he would work as a DT in a 4-3.
He's 6'5" 300. Not sure why he couldn't play 4-3 DT but guys with similar size like Worthy can.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I really like Thompson, but he's strictly a run stuffer. Run stuffing DTs are like RBs, a dime a dozen. We already have really good one in Bannan. If you are going to invest a top pick in a DT, it needs to be someone with pass rush potential. I'd be fine with Thompson with our 2nd, but he probably won't last that long. He's too one-dimensional to invest a 1st or high 2nd (if we trade down) on.
Hey BroncoInferno, I know you like Wolfe too...I think he will be off the board #48 at the latest (maybe #31) to NE... that sucks, because I was hoping to get him at #57. If NE picks Reyes instead, Pittsburgh will get Wolfe at #56.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
He's 6'5" 300. Not sure why he couldn't play 4-3 DT but guys with similar size like Worthy can.
I just remember reading something that said he didn't have the anchor strength needed to play inside in a 4-3.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Hey BroncoInferno, I know you like Wolfe too...I think he will be off the board #48 at the latest (maybe #31) to NE... that sucks, because I was hoping to get him at #57. If NE picks Reyes instead, Pittsburgh will get Wolfe at #56.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind "reaching" a bit for Wolfe. He's my second favorite DT in the draft after Cox. If we can trade down to the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd, I'd be perfectly fine with taking him. We may get killed in post-draft grades for taking him over some of the guys rated higher by the pundits, but I see little downside with him. A non-stop motor and has excellent technique, I don't think there is much chance of him being a bust. Guys like Worthy and Reyes may have more raw talent, but there's a lot of potential downside as well. No one was more productive in this draft at DT than Wolfe.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
If there is any question about Wolfe's ability to play at UT, watch this video. Wolfe says he will "Take you to a place you've never gone", until "snot bubbles come out your nose". He has the size, athletic ability and strength to dominate interior lineman in the NFL. He plays at a different intensity level than any other DT in this draft.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #23
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I just remember reading something that said he didn't have the anchor strength needed to play inside in a 4-3.
Eh, I don't really buy that. The guy makes up for some of his deficencies with his non-stop motor and suberb technique. I think he'll work out perfectly fine in a 4-3. Whoever drafts him (hopefully Denver) will not be disappointed. He may not have the upside of some of the other DTs, but I think his floor his higher. You'll get a solid guy, worst case scenario. And I think his athleticism is highly underrated anyway. He ran a 4.94 40 and a 7.26 in the 3 cone drill at the combine, both among the higher result for DTs.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
I would be fine taking him at #25. If we don't, NE will take him at #31. I can guarantee you Belicheat doesn't give a crap what draft experts think of him. Wolfe has much more raw talent than Worthy. Wolfe and Reyes have similar athletic ability...but Wolfe plays with way more intensity.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I would be fine taking him at #25. If we don't, NE will take him at #31. I can guarantee you Belicheat doesn't give a crap what draft experts think of him. Wolfe has much more raw talent than Worthy. Wolfe and Reyes have similar athletic ability...but Wolfe plays with way more intensity.
Well, there's been speculation that NE is high on Reyes, so they could take him with one of their 1st rounders. That might give us a chance of landing Wolfe at the end of the 2nd. I find it hard to believe, though, that Wolfe is being as underrated by the actual teams as he is by the Kipers and Mayocks of the world. We would probably have to either take him at #25 or with our pick after a trade down, or else trade up from our 2nd rounder.