The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default IAOFM's : Valuing new Denver cornerback Tracy Porter.

Valuing new Denver cornerback Tracy Porter

Doc BearApr 13, 2012 12:00 PM

As the draft continues to draw nearer, I've been pondering the Broncos' depth and potential need at cornerback. Thereís obviously still the issue of Champ Bailey, who will probably leave or move to safety in a couple or three seasons, but if the right CB is available - and itís a fairly deep class - is it worth using a high pick? You could say the same about safety, after all - Mike Adams is 31 and not all DBs have Champís longevity. Denver just picked up Tracy Porter, though. How do they view this guy? Does he reduce the need to draft a CB this year?

had the pleasure to chat with Travis Dauro of SBN's Canal Street Chronicles; he had a lot to say about how much heíd enjoyed watching Porter. He commented,

Quote:
Tracy is definitely a player that I would be excited about because he will immediately be able to contribute. Assuming Champ is playing consistently next year Porter should be the opposite corner.

I will admit though, last season Porter did have a significant drop off as far as production and performance. Due to that and the emergence of Patrick Robinson, Porter was made the backup. Last season he gave up a few big plays and was not a sure tackler at all. He often was out ran or was "shrugged off" by runners. His overall coverage was acceptable though.

In my opinion I think last season was a fluke underperforming year for him. His potential and what he has shown previously is just too good. Like the famous pick 6 (the final dagger in the SB against Peyton Manning and the Colts - DB), he showed the discipline and skill to intercept a quarterback that was never intercepted. Schematically he should be a great fit for the Broncos.
My goal was to get an overview of the relative value of the Tracy Porter pickup, as well as to do a short examination of last yearís starters and see if anything else stood out. Obviously, SydíQuan Thompson was on IR last year, so he was out. Cassius Vaughn made the report but he also spent a lot of time injured, so his sample is small, and Andreí Goodman apparently decided that heíd heard enough about his tacking, because he started hitting like a mountain ram in springtime. His coverage stayed good, too, and he had his best overall season as a Bronco, but he, like Champ, will turn 34 this summer. Itís just normal business to look at how the team needs to grow.

Today Iím going to touch on some generalities and numbers, and move to film later - some of it will come after the draft. Keeping up with things gets pretty harried this time of year.

The description of Tracy OíNeil Porter on the official site is pretty glowing. Heís a young player (he'll turn 26 in August) out of Indiana University, already with four seasons behind him that he spent with the Saints. Hereís what the Broncos said:

Quote:
Porter is a fifth-year player who spent his first four seasons with New Orleans and saw time in 43 games (39 starts), totaling 227 tackles (178 solo), seven interceptions (95 yds.), 37 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. In six postseason starts, he has recorded 34 tackles (28 solo), two interceptions (100 yds.), three passes defensed and one forced fumble. Included in his career totals are two interceptions returned for touchdowns, including a 74-yard score in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLIV to help clinch the Saintsí first World Championship.

Selected by New Orleans in the second round (40th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft from Indiana University, he earned multiple Big Ten Conference honors while starting 43 games and recording 212 tackles (175 solo), 16 interceptions (413 yds.), two forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries for the Hoosiers. Porter was born on Aug. 11, 1986.
It sounds awfully good, but I didnít recall - other than his Super Bowl 44-clinching pick-six of new teammate Peyton Manning - a lot about him, although I seemed to recall a talented young man. I also admit that other than that SB run, I donít follow the Sinners that carefully and I might have simply not seen enough of him - I often focus on the trenches and I also spend a lot of time on college tape at this point. As a result, Iím not following all the NFL teams as tightly as Iíd like to - tempus fugit and all of that. In the end, I thought that Iíd run through some simple statistics now on the main CB crew, and then catch some film on Porter through the magic of NFL Rewind, to see what that shows both now - a superficial overview - and later on, when the FA and draft madness settles down. The basic goals for today were to:

1. Get a basic sense of Tracy Porter

2. Compare Porter to Denver's 2011 cornerbacks relative to size, age and production.

3. Compare the others to Champ. It never hurts to remind people what a year from Champ looks like compared to a good year for any other player.

I had the pleasure to chat with Travis Dauro of SBN's Canal Street Chronicles; he had a lot to say about how much heíd enjoyed watching Porter. He commented..

Quote:
Tracy is definitely a player that I would be excited about because he will immediately be able to contribute. Assuming Champ is playing consistently next year Porter should be the opposite corner.

I will admit though, last season Porter did have a significant drop off as far as production and performance. Due to that and the emergence of Patrick Robinson, Porter was made the backup. Last season he gave up a few big plays and was not a sure tackler at all. He often was out ran or was "shrugged off" by runners. His overall coverage was acceptable though.

In my opinion I think last season was a fluke underperforming year for him. His potential and what he has shown previously is just too good. Like the famous pick 6 (the final dagger in the SB against Peyton Manning and the Colts - DB), he showed the discipline and skill to intercept a quarterback that was never intercepted. Schematically he should be a great fit for the Broncos.

Iím hoping that heís right and that the Broncos see whatís going on with Porter and are comfortable working to fix it. Here is the basic information that came up on each player who played the most for Denver at CB:

Champ Bailey
Born 1978-06-22
College: Georgia
Height: 6'00" Weight: 192

Andre' Goodman
Born 1978-08-11
College: South Carolina
Height: 5'10" Weight: 185

Chris Harris Jr.
Born 1989-06-18
College: Kansas
Height: 5'10" Weight: 190

Tracy Porter
Born 1986-08-11
College: Indiana
Height: 5'11" Weight: 185

Cassius Vaughn
Born 1987-11-03
College: Mississippi
Height: 5'11" Weight: 195

After this he goes into great detail about total snaps, and run support numbers.

For The Rest................http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...k-tracy-porter
Attached Images

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

he's a significant upgrade over Goodman, he's the best potential CB opposite Champ that the Broncos have ever had, so that's all i need to know.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
he's a significant upgrade over Goodman,.
Not really. To be honest Porter is only slightly better than average.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I live in New Orleans, and watched saints game every week (because they are always part of the early set of games). Tracy Porter is a solid cornerback. Last year, he dealt with alot of injuries (Patrick Robinson took his spot last year while he was out) which resulted in a down year, but he can really cover. I will say and REPEAT he can't tackle, but he's got great speed and he's a playmaker! I think he's a great #2 corner.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Perhaps....but remember, Manning makes all our defensive players better. He just sprinkles his Manning fairy-dust on the defense, and presto.....better defense!

55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

which is still a significant upgrade to Goodman who was flat out terrible for the talent he posses. if Porter can succeed in keeping the play in front of him and make plays on the ball in the air then he's already 10x better than Goodman.

too many times Goodman got beat over the top, deep, intermediate, underneath and everything in between where he was looking at the back of the opposing players jersey while attempting to chase them down after the play was made. we can't have that continue to happen and Porter has the coverage skills to utilize the opportunities that playing alongside Champ Bailey will provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Going by those numbers Harris looks like he's going to be a real good one
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
he's a significant upgrade over Goodman, he's the best potential CB opposite Champ that the Broncos have ever had, so that's all i need to know.
Idk about that.

I'd say if Darrent were still around he'd be reallllllllllllllllllly good and we'd have had several more successful seasons

TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
I don't know about "significant", but I'd say an upgrade. I think his tackling went down some last year because they were using him inside instead of outside.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
broncoblue
english not british!!

will he get a ban over the bounty hunters?
broncoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

I'm more excited about Chris Harris than Porter for the upcoming season.

Every time I rewatched games, his play just jumped out. He tackles like an old school safety and that's not just against slot WRs but RBs as well.

I expect him to make a big jump in his coverage this year.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Bailey, Porter and Harris have me excited for 2012. I'm not sure how Thompson will recover from his injury, nor have I heard or read about Vaughn. Denver has a great shot at getting a corner with one of their top four picks in this years draft. It has to be a priority given Porter may not be here for one year. If Kirkpatrick is there at #25 -- woo.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
I'm more excited about Chris Harris than Porter for the upcoming season.

Every time I rewatched games, his play just jumped out. He tackles like an old school safety and that's not just against slot WRs but RBs as well.

I expect him to make a big jump in his coverage this year.
I really like him as well
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Bailey, Porter and Harris have me excited for 2012. I'm not sure how Thompson will recover from his injury, nor have I heard or read about Vaughn. Denver has a great shot at getting a corner with one of their top four picks in this years draft. It has to be a priority given Porter may not be here for one year. If Kirkpatrick is there at #25 -- woo.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Idk about that.

I'd say if Darrent were still around he'd be reallllllllllllllllllly good and we'd have had several more successful seasons

dre bly should have been that guy, he was ok his first year and then turned to crap.
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Idk about that.

Rep for that Rev
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote