The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Maycock Really Likes Worthy

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...layers-preview

Also, good chance that a good CB (with character concerns) is available low 1st/high 2nd
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 965
Default

Eh, I like Worthy, but admit to having a shockingly limited knowledge of what type of DT he is and whether or not he fills our needs. Maybe this is just me going through the entire process of talking myself into the idea that we don't need to bring in any further DT help that I seem to go through every year (it never really works but I keep trying) But, I'm okay not grabbing a DT in the first round as long as I feel we are truly grabbing the highest available graded player at that spot.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

If he is on the board at #25, I'd run to the podium. I just don't see use trading down and maybe with the exception of Reyes, getting a guy who can make an impact in his first season. Thompson or Ta'amu can maybe do that -- and I wouldn't doubt them targeting Thompson to replace Bunkley or so, but they just signed Bannan. My guess is that the Broncos need to go with another UT (like Worthy) to make this defense special.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
g6matty
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Eh, I like Worthy, but admit to having a shockingly limited knowledge of what type of DT he is and whether or not he fills our needs. Maybe this is just me going through the entire process of talking myself into the idea that we don't need to bring in any further DT help that I seem to go through every year (it never really works but I keep trying) But, I'm okay not grabbing a DT in the first round as long as I feel we are truly grabbing the highest available graded player at that spot.
hes a 3 down DT personally me being a PA homer i like devon still. but these guys go hand in hand stout against the run and can push the pocket. these guys make alot of plays behind the line of scrimmage id be happy with either
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,295
Default

Mayock also thought Moreno was a top 5 pick in the 2009 draft, and he ranked Robert Ayers as the best Defensive player.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,175

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
If he is on the board at #25, I'd run to the podium. I just don't see use trading down and maybe with the exception of Reyes, getting a guy who can make an impact in his first season. Thompson or Ta'amu can maybe do that -- and I wouldn't doubt them targeting Thompson to replace Bunkley or so, but they just signed Bannan. My guess is that the Broncos need to go with another UT (like Worthy) to make this defense special.
One mock I saw had Worthy going to the Patriots at their #31 pick. That would royally suck if we passed on him......then the Pats get him, and he ends up being another all-pro like Wilfork.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Mayock also thought Moreno was a top 5 pick in the 2009 draft, and he ranked Robert Ayers as the best Defensive player.
If you watched the video, it discusses why he has Poe and Brockers below Worthy and it is actually a hell of an explanation. Considering how raw Poe and Brockers are, their LTI might be a little longer than Worthy, who was a guy who started for three years and helped anchor one of the best defenses in college football.

Ayers wasn't his best defensive player, but he said that in several years -- he could emerge as the best guy in this draft. We're a couple of years later and Ayers has had to go through two whole role changes. He likely won't ever be the top defensive player from that class, but he has value on our team as a base end and is playing where he should be.

People miss on prospects, it doesn't mean that by doing so his evaluation of Worthy is wrong.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,075
Default

I've watched Jerel Worthy a lot as I'm a Michigan fan and see a lot of Big Ten games.

He's my top choice at 25....unless by luck Fletcher Cox fell to 25, which I highly doubt.

I think Worthy is going to be a damn good DT in the NFL.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
One mock I saw had Worthy going to the Patriots at their #31 pick. That would royally suck if we passed on him......then the Pats get him, and he ends up being another all-pro like Wilfork.
Yes, it would really suck to see the Broncos pass on a guy like Worthy. The only solace I can find in this draft if we don't take him @ 25 is getting a trade down where we accumulate more selections to address other needs. If we don't do that, I think we whiffed big-time, but I hope Fox and Del Rio can make a difference with their DL developmental abilities.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,075
Default

BTW....I don't want Poe or Brockers if either of them fall to 25.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,384

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Worthy at 25. As a one gap guy in a 4-3 he should be able to contribute right off the bat. What's interesting, is Poe, Brockers, Still and Worthy may all still be available in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

My big issue with Worthy is his motor, and how he takes plays off. Aside from that his best attribute is his ability to time the snap count and get the jump on slower less experienced interior linemen. I don't see him having nearly that same success in the NFL. QBs are smarter, interior linemen faster and smarter.

I want a high motor UT that wins matchups from being relentless, freak strong and fast, and working hard play after play. Worthy does not fit that bill...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I've watched Jerel Worthy a lot as I'm a Michigan fan and see a lot of Big Ten games.

He's my top choice at 25....unless by luck Fletcher Cox fell to 25, which I highly doubt.
Nice of you to be honest and put away that Wolverine bias when evaluating Worthy. All the issues that he has comes down to technique and being coached up. The fact that Worthy was making calls on defense and getting the rest of the youngsters around him to their correct alignments pre-snap shows that he is a mature and ready to take on the next level. Poe and Brockers aren't going to be guys who can do that.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Like Mayock said, all you have to do is watch him up against two of the best Olines in college, Wisconsin and Iowa. He can dominate.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
My big issue with Worthy is his motor, and how he takes plays off. Aside from that his best attribute is his ability to time the snap count and get the jump on slower less experienced interior linemen. I don't see him having nearly that same success in the NFL. QBs are smarter, interior linemen faster and smarter.

I want a high motor UT that wins matchups from being relentless, freak strong and fast, and working hard play after play. Worthy does not fit that bill...
Do you honestly think anybody is going to take you seriously when you claim to be an Indianapolis fan, yet had no idea what kind of defense they ran for the past 15 years?

What games of Worthy's did you actually watch? Without Googling, could you actually tell me last year what games he played well in and which ones he played poor in?

Probably not.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
p7superfly
CHAMP IS THE TRUTH.
 
Born bleeding Orange & Blue

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 279

Adopt-a-Bronco:
KNOWSHON
Default

I want to see Worthy or Janoris Jenkins...
p7superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,174

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
If you watched the video, it discusses why he has Poe and Brockers below Worthy and it is actually a hell of an explanation. Considering how raw Poe and Brockers are, their LTI might be a little longer than Worthy, who was a guy who started for three years and helped anchor one of the best defenses in college football.

Ayers wasn't his best defensive player, but he said that in several years -- he could emerge as the best guy in this draft. We're a couple of years later and Ayers has had to go through two whole role changes. He likely won't ever be the top defensive player from that class, but he has value on our team as a base end and is playing where he should be.

People miss on prospects, it doesn't mean that by doing so his evaluation of Worthy is wrong.
Mayock, bless his heart, is always a contrarian. Its just in his personality. I'm not sure how he got the reputation of being more "accurate" than his peers (perhaps because some of his against the grain choices actually worked out), but he's constantly taking the road less traveled.

That said, I like Worthy too
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
If you watched the video, it discusses why he has Poe and Brockers below Worthy and it is actually a hell of an explanation. Considering how raw Poe and Brockers are, their LTI might be a little longer than Worthy, who was a guy who started for three years and helped anchor one of the best defenses in college football.

Ayers wasn't his best defensive player, but he said that in several years -- he could emerge as the best guy in this draft. We're a couple of years later and Ayers has had to go through two whole role changes. He likely won't ever be the top defensive player from that class, but he has value on our team as a base end and is playing where he should be.

People miss on prospects, it doesn't mean that by doing so his evaluation of Worthy is wrong.
I think Worthy will be solid, but drafting Kendall Wright (or Peter Konz, or Mike Adams) over Worthy in the 1st round is more valuable, considering the Broncos should be able to draft Derek Wolfe or Mike Martin in the 2nd round. The draft is deep in UT's.

Kendall Wright/Derek Wolfe > Jerel Worthy/Isaiah Pead
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Reyes is quicker, more athletic and stronger than Worthy, and that matters in the NFL where simply running through OL doesn't happen as often.

Robert Ayers was a late bloomer in college who was stupidly put in a position he had no chance of succeeding in at OLB. That said, his best year, he had 4 sacks and only 9 sacks for his career, but good tackles for loss numbers, which show what he really is. He is a solid run defender at DE, but not a pass rusher, which run defenders at DE are rarely thought of as great players.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #20
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Like Mayock said, all you have to do is watch him up against two of the best Olines in college, Wisconsin and Iowa. He can dominate.
Montee Ball ran it up the middle for 4 touchdowns against Michigan State in the Big 10 Championship game. Worthy didn't have any effect on any of those plays, and finished the game with 1 solo tackle, and 1 assist.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Montee Ball ran it up the middle for 4 touchdowns against Michigan State in the Big 10 Championship game. Worthy didn't have any effect on any of those plays, and finished the game with 1 solo tackle, and 1 assist.
He was talking the regular season games, not the Bowl Game.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Montee Ball ran it up the middle for 4 touchdowns against Michigan State in the Big 10 Championship game. Worthy didn't have any effect on any of those plays, and finished the game with 1 solo tackle, and 1 assist.
Sorry. Didn't see that game. I would assume after Worthy had his way with them in the seasonal contest, they spent a whole lot of effort double-teaming him in the second meeting. But, like I say, I didn't see it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #23
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I guess I just don't think he dominated against Wisconsin in the first game either...I will rewatch the youtube later today.

...I just think we could get better value at DT in the 2nd with Wolfe.
Uh, he dominated them.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Uh, he dominated them.
I'll rewatch it tonight.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Do you honestly think anybody is going to take you seriously when you claim to be an Indianapolis fan, yet had no idea what kind of defense they ran for the past 15 years?

What games of Worthy's did you actually watch? Without Googling, could you actually tell me last year what games he played well in and which ones he played poor in?

Probably not.
When you learn how to speak to people, then we can have a very in depth conversation about Worthy.
He doesn't have it at the next level, Barry just a few posts above said the same thing I said, so I'm not the only one who feels this way.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Denver Broncos