The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What constitutes a DT draft fail?
No DT in 1st round = fail 6 9.23%
No DT in 1st or 2nd = fail 20 30.77%
No DT in 1 through 3 = fail 18 27.69%
No DT drafted at all = fail 18 27.69%
We need 4 DT's in this draft to make up for years of fail 2 3.08%
Doesn't matter if we draft DT at all, best player available (there's always next year) 12 18.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

Default No DT = failed draft?

Yet again we approach the draft and yet again DT is the weakest link, as has been for years. Is this the year the Broncos throw us a bone, or are we bound for another post draft DT meltdown?
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I think just like any other year, it's not going to go like all of us armchair GMs would like it to and then things will be just fine although the sky is falling, then next year we will have this discussion again.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

no not a failed draft, it means fans storm the gates at Dove Valley and we see Elway dragged out and dispense of through some old school drawn and quartering.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

from don banks latest mock draft

25 DT Michael Brockers LSU Soph. 6-6 306
The Broncos defense got run on in the second half of 2011, and Brockers is a prospect who can develop into a middle-of-the-line anchor for John Fox's team. Stanford tight end Coby Fleener is the name to know if Denver opts for offense in the first round.

lmao! .....this place will burn

http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/writers/do...sct=nfl_t11_a0
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

No it doesn't. Only an idiot would take a DT just to take one. It has to be the right fit otherwise one is better off taking BPA in relation to the teams grades
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
No it doesn't. Only an idiot would take a DT just to take one.
oh no, you have it all wrong, if we don't take DT no matter what in rounds 1 and 2 it's a failed draft

Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

The Broncos defense got run on in the second half of 2011, and Brockers is a prospect who can develop into a middle-of-the-line anchor for John Fox's team. Stanford tight end Coby Fleener is the name to know if Denver opts for offense in the first round.

Don Banks didn't do his broncos FA addition research.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

No kidding... the last thing the Broncos need is another TE.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

We've got Warren and Vickerson. We're set.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
No kidding... the last thing the Broncos need is another TE.
since Sharpe retired, there's always at least one mock draft of the broncos taking a TE in the first round.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I feel like I can give Fox the benefit of the doubt with DL in the way we could give Shanny the benefit with RB. Maybe not to the same scale but I thought there were a lot of times, particularly pre-Miller's injury, where the DL was playing well. When Shanny was running things, you knew DL was going to be a problem that noone had an answer to.

That said, I'd still like some DTs. I just wont be as annoyed as I was when they were passing on Bryant, Laws, and the 800 other DTs we all wanted them to take around here.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

We just signed Bannan. /thread
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

I'm normally not one to declare a draft a failure if we do not pick up a specific position. But the fact is we don't have anything to start the defensive tackle position for us this year. The free agent market has largely dried up for the position at this point. We are going to be reduced to signing practice squad scrubs just to fill the position this year. I'm not going to go as far as calling our off season anything resembling a failure, but if we can't do something to fill that spot by opening day, I can definitely call it flawed.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

**** dt
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I'm normally not one to declare a draft a failure if we do not pick up a specific position. But the fact is we don't have anything to start the defensive tackle position for us this year. The free agent market has largely dried up for the position at this point. We are going to be reduced to signing practice squad scrubs just to fill the position this year. I'm not going to go as far as calling our off season anything resembling a failure, but if we can't do something to fill that spot by opening day, I can definitely call it flawed.
For me this is not entirely true... I would pencil in Ty Warren and Kevin Vickerson as the Broncos starters on the D-Line. Granted we will not know until training camp how healthy these guys are. But I am sure the Broncos have a good idea... signing players and drafting for depth is the issue.

The Broncos really don't have to use a 1st round pick on a DT.

To me that first round pick is going to have to contribute if not start right away.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
We just signed Bannan. /thread
Have we forgot?
Attached Images

broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
OrangeSe7en

I learned my lesson last year and that was a better year for DTs. And hearing the way Elway spoke about Miller kind of suggested to me that he's looking at impact players and not at drafting out of desperation. At this point, I'm kind of giving Fox the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making do at DT. He did it last year. Bunkley cost us a late round pick. I'm hoping something like that might happen again.

While I recognize the benefit in investing in DTs, they also scare me and if we can do what we did with Bunkley last year, drafting other positions is something I'd be open to.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

There are five players who are legitimate first round talents. There are about two or three guys you would take in the second. If the Broncos don't land one of those guys, I'd consider it a huge miss.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
shalowlow
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

My current opinion on the draft is bpa no matter what, even if we are talking about a position that the team seems to be set at (i.e. TE).

Having a pro bowl caliber player sitting on the bench is infinitely better than having a bad player picked at a position of need sitting on the bench behind a guy signed for the veteran minimum. Both are not playing, but one has value that can be taken advantage of either later down the line, or in terms of a trade.

It takes a lot of control to not fall in love with a guy strictly because it's a position of need, but if there is a better player at a different position, it is much much more valuable than picking a guy based only on his position and hoping you can coach him up.

I will not be upset if we don't pick a DT in this draft.
shalowlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
EmpireOrange
Seasoned Veteran

Although all this whinning amongs OM posters (even after EFX just pulled off the greatest offseason coupe in free agency history) provides great enjoyment, this poll is just dumb. The whiny biatches here - for sake of account standards, I'll go ahead and categorize them as teboners too - are jus whiney biatches for the sake of whining. What is missing here (on OM), is an adjustment of attitude to account for the fact that the Broncos have an elite quarterback now, and in this NFL, elite QBs are gold.

Denver's defense currently is better the Pats and Green Bay and both ruled the league last year because of thier QB. In today's NFL super bowls are most often than not won with an Investment-grade, if not tripple-A rated, offense complimented by an medium-grade - or even speculative-grade - defense who exce; at limiting points scored - not stopping, but minimizing points (e.g., field goals). Defenses are better when the offense can dictate the game, because opposing offenses have to play differently. Von and Dumervile are going to have an all pro season, believe that!

Denver's priority is to have a triple-A rated offense. The defense will improve.
EmpireOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

It is hard to say the draft was a failure if we don't land a DT but get a bunch of other good picks, I don't think we need a 1st day DT pick to get good solid rotational guys but it would be nice if they could draft 1.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireOrange View Post
Denver's defense currently is better the Pats and Green Bay and both ruled the league last year because of thier QB. In today's NFL super bowls are most often than not won with an Investment-grade, if not tripple-A rated, offense complimented by an medium-grade - or even speculative-grade - defense who exce; at limiting points scored - not stopping, but minimizing points (e.g., field goals). Defenses are better when the offense can dictate the game, because opposing offenses have to play differently. Von and Dumervile are going to have an all pro season, believe that!

Denver's priority is to have a triple-A rated offense. The defense will improve.
Quoted for truth!!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I don't think you "win" drafts by drafting specific positions. You win drafts by getting the best amount of value for your picks, regardless of position.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #24
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Was last years draft a bust because we didn't address DT? It was by far our biggest need last year and we didn't address it and I would call the draft a success so far. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I don't think you "win" drafts by drafting specific positions. You win drafts by getting the best amount of value for your picks, regardless of position.
agreed...that said. Lets not draft a TE in the first round
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote