The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default As the Broncos turn to the 2012 NFL draft the defense must be priority number one.

the acquisition of Peyton Manning.

The excitement is in the thin air and the Broncos could be the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl. After all, it only made sense for John Elway to replace Tim Tebow with Peyton Manning.

As the Broncos turn to the 2012 NFL draft the defense must be priority number one.

The Broncos were a strong defensive unit last season and look to gain more strength via the draft.

• The Penalty Flag’s Mike Presley has the Broncos selecting Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State.

“Round 1, Pick 25: Fletcher Cox DT Miss. State: Many people questioned the pick of Von Miller over Marcel Dareus with the Broncos switching to a 4-3 and the need for a Defensive Tackle. Miller worked out quite well and now they get their defensive tackle after a surprising playoff berth and win. Cox recorded 56 tackles with 14.5 of those tackles being for a loss. Cox had a great combine and helped his draft stock tremendously and could very well go higher than this.”

• Dane Brugler of CBSSportsline.com has them selecting Devon Still, DT, Penn State.

“With the Broncos winning the Peyton Manning sweepstakes, most project this pick to be offensive line or maybe another offensive target. But Denver can’t ignore the holes on the defensive side, especially at defensive tackle with Brodrick Bunkley signing a big-money deal with the Saints. Still might be the best player on the board at this point and comes with a degree of upside if his coaches can get him to play through the whistle on every snap.”

• Drafttek.com also has the Broncos selecting Devon Still,

“Still was a highly decorated and productive player on a fantastic defense for Penn State (Top 10 in just about every category in 2011). As part of that team, he also racked up some great personal stats–55 Tackles, 17 TFL, 4.5 Sacks. He’s a big, strong kid (6’5″ and 310 lbs) that would start immediately in the Broncos rotation. This is a pretty easy pick–taking a quality player at the Broncos top need, but we may shake it up a bit soon… – Scott Nelson, Drafttek Broncos Analyst”

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...oncos/10509062
Attached Images

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Lol @ the Brugler guy patting himself on the back for predicting we go defense and claiming most project us drafting offense with the #25 pick...

Guy is delusional...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Dream situation with Cox being there at 25. Never happen but love the thought.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

At this point, I would put it somewhere in the realm of impossibility that Cox drops to 25.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

there's no way Cox is around at 25...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Drunken.Broncoholic

I would not be surprised if they take stephen hill at 25 if Cox or a couple other DTs are taken off the board.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Between Cox, Still, and Brockers I would be happy with anyone at this point. They all have strengths and weaknesses, but could all be excellent players with the proper coaching. Certainly an immediate upgrade over Marcus Thomas, with the chance to get much, much better.

I'd love to see them take a skilled UT with the first rounder, then come back in a later round with a larger developmental NT type. There are a few big 320+ projects that should be available in rounds 4-6.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

The good news is our coaching staff is good and Manning is used to winning games with complete garbage defenses, so there's that.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The good news is our coaching staff is good and Manning is used to winning games with complete garbage defenses, so there's that.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

If he is there do we take a for sure Pro Bowler in David DeCastro, guard - Stanford? He will probably be gobbled up in the teens, but I wouldn't mind the pick, although I would love to get a top tier DT, just not sure if the value will be there at 25.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

You would think the Broncos draft defense...

But don't be surprised if the Broncos draft both a WR and RB with their first two picks.. you figure at #25 the #2 rated WR Kendall Wright from Baylor could still be on the board.

And in the 2nd round running backs like LaMichael James - Oregon, Lamar Miller - Miami or Chris Polk - Washington could still be available to the Broncos.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...raft-take-two/

2012 mock draft, take two

25. Broncos: Doug Martin, running back, Boise State.

Peyton Manning will love Martin’s ability to pick up blitzers.

bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...raft-take-two/

2012 mock draft, take two

25. Broncos: Doug Martin, running back, Boise State.

Peyton Manning will love Martin’s ability to pick up blitzers.

I've seen that over the past weekend.. many mock drafts and pundints have Doug Martin shooting up the draftboard. My main concern is the quality of opponents Boise State played in the Mountain West.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Hidden need: wide receiver

True, Peyton Manning can turn copper receivers into gold. But he would much rather polish a receiver who is golden in the first place. He does not have one in Denver. Demaryius Thomas made some big plays last season down the stretch, but he does not run with the over-the-top burst of a true playmaker (even if Ike Taylor begs to differ). Thomas is just a very good possession/stretched-intermediary target. Eric Decker is something of a watered-down Thomas. Andre Caldwell and Matt Willis show flashes as rotational slot guys but aren’t go-to weapons.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...st-team-needs/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I agree with Benoit. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Broncos decided to take someone like Kendell Wright (Baylor), Rueben Randle (LSU), and perhaps, just perhaps, Stephen Hill of Georgia Tech at pick #25.

The goal? Give Peyton Manning more ammunition.

It sounds crazy, given the needs at DT (and to be clear, I'm not advocating they do anything other than draft a DT with both their first and second picks). But who needs a defensive tackle when you're up by two touchdowns in the 2nd quarter, and the other team is forced to abandon the running game?

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prim...eir-first-pick
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
I've seen that over the past weekend.. many mock drafts and pundints have Doug Martin shooting up the draftboard. My main concern is the quality of opponents Boise State played in the Mountain West.
I wouldn't worry too much,Ryan Clady came out of boise state as well & he's done pretty well.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
I wouldn't worry too much,Ryan Clady came out of boise state as well & he's done pretty well.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Hidden need: wide receiver

True, Peyton Manning can turn copper receivers into gold. But he would much rather polish a receiver who is golden in the first place. He does not have one in Denver. Demaryius Thomas made some big plays last season down the stretch, but he does not run with the over-the-top burst of a true playmaker (even if Ike Taylor begs to differ). Thomas is just a very good possession/stretched-intermediary target. Eric Decker is something of a watered-down Thomas. Andre Caldwell and Matt Willis show flashes as rotational slot guys but aren’t go-to weapons.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...st-team-needs/
AJ Jenkins in the mid rounds. I really like Rueben Randle at the top of the 2nd
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Mock drafts: All about DT for the Broncos

April 10, 2012 4:23 p.m. - by Andrew Mason

All six mock drafts posted on CBSSports.com have the Broncos taking a DT. But which one? Pete Prisco suggests the choice will be Penn State's Devon Still; Pat Kirwan offers LSU's Michael Brockers; and Clark Judge predicts workout wonder Dontari Poe of Memphis. Meanwhile, Will Brinson, Dane Brugler and Rob Rang all project Michigan State's Jerel Worthy.

Denver Broncos RapidReports | All National Football League RapidReports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-r.../post/18451276