The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Default Interesting Bronco comment from Peter King in MMQB

Denver could be a package team. By that I mean the Broncos like to move around (they have in recent years), and they've got three picks in a 30-pick span (108, 120, 137). Suppose the league gets scared of Janoris Jenkins because of his sketchy background, and the best cover man in the draft is sitting there early in the second round. Could the developmental-corner-needy Broncos deal three picks to move up for him?

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1rYAlDvon
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
Denver could be a package team. By that I mean the Broncos like to move around (they have in recent years), and they've got three picks in a 30-pick span (108, 120, 137). Suppose the league gets scared of Janoris Jenkins because of his sketchy background, and the best cover man in the draft is sitting there early in the second round. Could the developmental-corner-needy Broncos deal three picks to move up for him?

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1rYAlDvon
As I was reading this, I thought it seemed kind of lazy to look at actions of past Front Offices and assume that the current one would follow suite. EFX didn't do much in the way of moving around until the later rounds last year. I suspect that they will not suddenly return to the wheelin' deelin' ways of McDaniels and Shanahan this year.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
TonyR
Franchise Poster

The problem with this is that we have a lot of needs, and giving up multiple picks to fill one of them may not be the best move unless you're really sold on the guy.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Indeed - I'm hoping we don;t move around too much and just concentrate on getting max value from each pick. That was what we seemed to do last year, but then we were picking so early in each round we arguably didn't need to do otherwise.....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Denver724
Ring of Famer

I would like to see us trade down from #25 to a team with two 2's. Someone like the Rams (who have two high 2's). We can then get three good players in the second. I hope K. Wright (WR) or J. Martin (OT) fall to #25. With Houston picking right after us I can see a team wanting to jump up and grab either of them. Houston needs a WR and OT. Heck, if Martin falls to #25 I could see us taking him. We will see.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

He's just speculating. I could see them move up for the right player, but I would be surprised if they dumped three picks. I could see them trading a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th to move up if a guy they love drops down the board.

I think it's more likely that they try to trade down with the 1st rounder. I think they may not be crazy about the value at #25 unless Fletcher Cox, Kirkpatrick or Gilmore fall into their lap. Still, Worthy, Reyes, and Thompson all seem like early 2nd rounders to me. If they can move down, get an extra 3rd, and still get one of those guys (assuming they've given them all similar grades), I think they would rather do that. Of course, there would have to be someone willing to move up into the spot. I hate it when people say "they should have traded down/up EFX is so stupid!!!1111!!!" as if mere desire for a trade can make it happen. You have to have another club willing to trade acceptable value.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I'd rather just get as many new bodies as possible into camp.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Janoris Jenkins is going to be awesome. If we pulled a DT in the first and got him in the second I wouldn't be too upset.

But I see no way he drops that far.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
The problem with this is that we have a lot of needs, and giving up multiple picks to fill one of them may not be the best move unless you're really sold on the guy.
It's a crap shoot and ultimately based on luck,
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
As I was reading this, I thought it seemed kind of lazy to look at actions of past Front Offices and assume that the current one would follow suite. EFX didn't do much in the way of moving around until the later rounds last year. I suspect that they will not suddenly return to the wheelin' deelin' ways of McDaniels and Shanahan this year.
We moved down in the 2nd so the 49ers could get Colin Kaepernik and we traded again with the Packers in the 4th round but that was it. The rest of the traded picks we were involved in last year were results of McDaniels idiocy.

The front office last year in the draft showed that they will take the value if it is there, if someone is offering a deal you don't turn down you take it and if there is a player you really want you go and get him (Julius Thomas). I think if Jenkins falls and he gets into a value range where you can justify the turdiness he comes with I wouldn't be surprised to see the front office be aggressive in trying to get him. Likewise if we are sitting at 25 and someone wants to come up to get Weeden or Osweiler late in the 1st I wouldn't be surprised to see us move down.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

King is an idiot. Name me one trade in the history of the NFL that saw a team trade an early 2nd rd pick for 2 4ths and a 5th. King needs to smell some realism.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
King is an idiot. Name me one trade in the history of the NFL that saw a team trade an early 2nd rd pick for 2 4ths and a 5th. King needs to smell some realism.
Mcdaniels would make that deal in a heartbeat, imagine all the special teamers and blocking tight ends he could get with so many mid round picks.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
I THINK he's saying since we have a glutton of early mid rounders, we may be more prone to part with one or two along with our second to make a move.

Ftr, I agree and I'm all in favor if it means we can land two of still/kirk/jenkins/gilmore
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Moving up for someone often doesn't pan out.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Moving up for someone often doesn't pan out.
Neither do 3rd and 4th rounders.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'd just as soon play the numbers and try and take as many shots as possible. Hoping for one guy you gave the farm away for is too risky and puts too much unfair pressure on the guy you take to be awesome immediately.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #17
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
Suppose the league gets scared of Janoris Jenkins because of his sketchy background, and the best cover man in the draft is sitting there early in the second round. Could the developmental-corner-needy Broncos deal three picks to move up for him?
Yah, sure, cuz that worked out so well for the Broncos last time.

(Looking at you, Alphonso Smith.)
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
CEH
Ring of Famer

I suggested a coupel days ago if the 2nd rated CB was on the board at 22 I'd trade up in front of DET using a 4th (I assume this the correct value). Addressing the CB with a stud I think has more value then taking a risk on a DT at #25 or dropping back would be a great fallback but it's not your primary draft stragegy going in
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
I suggested a coupel days ago if the 2nd rated CB was on the board at 22 I'd trade up in front of DET using a 4th (I assume this the correct value). Addressing the CB with a stud I think has more value then taking a risk on a DT at #25 or dropping back would be a great fallback but it's not your primary draft stragegy going in
I want boff and we have the ammo to do it AND still grab some great prospects later on.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post

Before a post like this gains any traction and potentially gets repeated:

Jenkins and Alphonso Smith could not be more dissimilar.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post

Smith was not nearly as highly regarded as Jenkins. If not for the character questions, Jenkins would be top 15 lock. He may go that high anyway if someone is willing to roll the dice.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Smith was not nearly as highly regarded as Jenkins. If not for the character questions, Jenkins would be top 15 lock. He may go that high anyway if someone is willing to roll the dice.
Top 10 potentially Top 5. Jenkins ****s all over Clairborne in terms of "on the field"
Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Top 10 potentially Top 5. Jenkins ****s all over Clairborne in terms of "on the field"
Given his record, there is a pretty good chance he would **** all over Claiborne off the field as well....
Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Given his record, there is a pretty good chance he would **** all over Claiborne off the field as well....
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

If the Broncos do any trading .. I would like them to trade back the 1st pick and pick up additional draft picks in the the 2nd round.

The Broncos need as many draft picks as they can get.. doesn't make sense to bundle and move up.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote