The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III
Default Drafting a Starter

If the Broncos hold true to form, they will draft players that they feel can come in and start with the first three to four picks.

That removes the QBs. However, should Tannehill be there at 25....that may indeed be someone they draft. BUT I DONT THINK SO.

What players will be available to us that can start right away in the top four picks?

With the focus on the first pick:

Corner? Yes. One of the top corners can come in and possibly start right away. However, with the signing of Porter, and the young guys we already we have, I doubt it unless they let Champ go to safety. I dont see it this year.

DT? Yes. DT is one of those positions where its hard for a rookie to come in and contribute right away, even when theyre first round draft picks. But I believe the talent available would allow it. But is the talent available at 25 going to have a better chance to start vs a second rounder? Depends on the difference of ability in the players left available. Good chance this is the position we address.

DE? No. I dont see anyone other than possibly Coples that can unseat one of our guys, and he will be gone. So I dont see it.

Safety? Yes. Barron would come in and play imo, and hes a possibility.

LBer? Yes. I dont believe its likely, but if Kuechely is there, hes a big possibility. He wont be though. All the other top LBer prospects translate better to the 3-4.

RB? Yes. I believe Martin can come in and start day one.

WR? Yes. I believe there are a couple of WRs who can possibly come in and start in the slot or outside. Floyd, wont be there. Kendall Wright, possible. Stephen Hill, possible.

OT? Yes. I believe if a couple of guys fall down, they could supplant Franklin, moving him to guard. Probably a last scenario if other positions are there. Denver has Harris and will probably address the depth past the first round.

Guard? Yes. But DeCastro wont be there.

Center? Yes. Konz is better than Walton. I dont see them drafting him, but Konz can supplant Walton. Theres always a possibility that in order to protect Manning at the utmost, we draft this position. But I dont think likely.

TE? No. No. And no.

FB? No.

QB? No. But if Tannehill is there, Denver very well take him. Its the one position and player that they may settle for a non-starter. And it has to be addressed anyway. Hanie is not the future, and Tannehill may even supplant him at number 2 behind Manning. Is Weeden a thought in the same line of thinking? I dont think so. Hes too old. If Manning plays 3 more years...........Weeden is retiring.

So what do I see us doing?

I see us trading down unless our top choice at DT is there.

If we pick at 25, what will be the positions with the highest value left? I believe it will be DT.....WR......RB.....Corner.....then OL.

If Cox, Brockers and Worthy are gone, dont be surprised if we draft another position besides DT.

Like RB or WR.

Thoughts?
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

There's another possibility. The Broncos trade up in the first to take one DT who can start immediately, then spend the rest of the draft going for BPA.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
There's another possibility. The Broncos trade up in the first to take one DT who can start immediately, then spend the rest of the draft going for BPA.
Possible.

But I dont think it will happen.

But if we got Fletcher Cox, I would riverdance holding two coconuts.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

good post OP..

I doubt that we trade up or down..

trading back would mean that someone would want someone still on the board but at 25 can't beleive there would be that special guy..

trading up I do not see John doing that and using other picks to do so.. have way to many holes to fill.

I doubt that anyone we draft this year will become instant and consistent starters at 25 and higher..

While we have a decent team many of the starters are going to just get better as time rolls on.. the only real weakness I see on the team is MLB and safety..the only spots where a rookie could come in and take their spots..

CB unlikely because of the two projected starters and goody unless they are smart enough to trade or cut him..mostly to unload the cap space.

WLB maybe but rarely do you spend a #1 on that spot..

OL is good and getting better and unlikely to get beat out by a rookie..
BTW Harris is nothing but a career backup at best as he can not be counted on to stay healthy..Disrupting the contunity by placing him at ORT where he was not anything special with a weakened Kupe coming back will not help matters..

RB maybe but IMO running the ZBS almost any moke can make yards there.. UBTIL we get inside the red zone..

Rookie WR rarely make a difference.. it normally take a few years to become worht a crap.. UNLESS your getting the top dog and that will not happen at 25..

I'll guess that we stick with the best DT n the board at the time maybe a DE as the other positions the top dogs are all gonna be long gone..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Only if we don't bring any one in through free agency. If one of our guys is there i could see us moving up 5-6 spots to get him. Especially if they think those teams ahead of us would take/need a DT.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

We need so much help, that i'm not even focused on just our first rounder. I honestly believe that if we pick well, we could get starting talent all the way through our fourth round picks. If history holds true, we will use our second and third rounders on guys I never even suspected.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Only if we don't bring any one in through free agency. If one of our guys is there i could see us moving up 5-6 spots to get him. Especially if they think those teams ahead of us would take/need a DT.
Yah, it's not like there's a Suh available but I think the Broncos considered trading up for Fairley last year so If the Bronco value a guy like Cox, they may be willing to trade up a few spots to insure they get him, rather than sitting at 25 and settling for a DT they are luke warm on.

I'm guessing the Broncos have perhaps 2 DTs rated as first round picks in their 4-3 scheme. If neither guy is there at 25 and they didn't trade up to get one of them then they either trade down or take another position at 25.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Do we have a FB on the roster?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
two.. that I remembered but only one on the roster..
40 Sylvester, Austin FB 6-1 248 23 R Washington
Old 04-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No, we traded Tebow away to the Jets.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

duh!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
two.. that I remembered but only one on the roster..
40 Sylvester, Austin FB 6-1 248 23 R Washington
Is he going to start? I doubt we field a FB heavy O but when we do I hope he can play.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
No, we traded Tebow away to the Jets.
REP for you
Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I would like to see us get Joe Adams, instant upgrade at return man and would fill the slot receiver position, Manning would wear this kid out.....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

If we get Akoye or what ever his name is, I think Konz at 25 is almost a lock
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Is he going to start? I doubt we field a FB heavy O but when we do I hope he can play.
would guess that we find another one in the later rounds or as a UDFA..
Old 04-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
If we get Akoye or what ever his name is, I think Konz at 25 is almost a lock
I have absolutely no problem with Konz at 25, this is another reason to sign Okoye, Bannan and Thomas. If the Broncos do this it opens up the draft, especially in the first round.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
delany
Uber Bronco

Quote:
I have absolutely no problem with Konz at 25, this is another reason to sign Okoye, Bannan and Thomas. If the Broncos do this it opens up the draft, especially in the first round.
There are durability concerns with Konz and his combine bench numbers where bad. I have cooled on him somewhat.

I wouldn't hate the pick...but I would prefer to go in a different direction unless we trade down.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
There are durability concerns with Konz and his combine bench numbers where bad. I have cooled on him somewhat.

I wouldn't hate the pick...but I would prefer to go in a different direction unless we trade down.
I just think Walton is kind of a liability. However it's up to EFX to decide if he's up to the job of being the center moving forward with Manning.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Tamme played FB/TE for the Colts. I think he does it here too.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'm beginning to think the value pick where the Broncos are located, at 25, will be WR.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *WARHORSE* View Post
If the Broncos hold true to form, they will draft players that they feel can come in and start with the first three to four picks.
We've seen this new management have one draft. Everyone said Theo Epstein was a college kids only GM with the Red Sox. Then he spent his last several years spending all his early picks on High School kids.

This draft might be very different for this FO. Last year they had three very high picks with the 2nd overall, their second, and the Dolphins' second. Only the Broncos' own first round pick is in that same range. The 2nd we do have is quite a step down from the two we had last year, our 3rd is almost a round lower, etc..

This, the good sized class brought in last year, and the additions via FA could mean this is a draft class where they look to build long term depth instead of grabbing the guys who can simply contribute the soonest.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #23
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I wouldn't discount a guy like Hightower either. He's a very versatile player. Del Rio attended Alabama's pro day. A player like Hightower might fit very well into their plans.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I don't think the Manning offense in Indy utilized the FB position.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #25
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
I just think Walton is kind of a liability. However it's up to EFX to decide if he's up to the job of being the center moving forward with Manning.
Well there you go thinking again..

As you said how about we let the coaches that are professionals make those decisions..