The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Attention for Broncos turns to Defense

Attention for Broncos turns to defense

Friday April 06, 2012 - 12:03 AM The Sports Xchange

In the wake of the Peyton Manning tsunami that engulfed the Broncos, reshaped their offense and began a radical retransformation of their offensive identity, the needs and future of the Broncos' defense went relatively unnoticed.

But after nearly a month of free agency, the Broncos' defense, which improved from dead last in 2010 to 20th in 2011, remains a restorative work in progress with myriad question marks beyond Pro Bowlers Von Miller, Elvis Dumervil and Champ Bailey.

Those start with defensive tackle, where Marcus Thomas, who started 11 games last year, remains unsigned. Thomas tested the market and has expressed a desire to return, but the open market has been cool to his services -- including the Broncos.

The fact that Thomas is their only remaining defensive lineman from the Mike Shanahan years does not appear to help his cause. Nor does Thomas' skill set; he doesn't appear quick enough to play the three-technique tackle spot in new coordinator Jack Del Rio's defense but isn't massive enough to be the immovable type of one-technique tackle that Del Rio favors.

"Man, I love Denver. If only it was up to me," Thomas tweeted last week. In recent days, Thomas has repeatedly retweeted the opinions of fans who want him to return to his 7,700-plus followers.

Two issues hurt Thomas's cause to return. One is the expected presence of defensive tackles Kevin Vickerson and Ty Warren, both of whom were projected as starters but finished the season on injured reserve with ankle and triceps injuries, respectively. Thomas didn't make his first 2011 start until after Vickerson was lost for the season.

The other is the draft class, which is deep in defensive tackles who appear to be good value picks at No. 25, where the Broncos select in the first round. One or more of a list that includes Penn State's Devon Still, Michigan State's Jerel Worthy, Mississippi State's Fletcher Cox, Connecticut's Kendall Reyes and Clemson's Brandon Thompson should be available at the 25th slot; all appear to have higher ceilings as interior pass rushers than Thomas or Brodrick Bunkley, who signed a five-year, $25 million contract (including $9 million guaranteed) with the Saints on March 20, in spite of playing less than half the Broncos' 2011 defensive plays.

Denver hasn't picked a defensive tackle in the first round since selecting Trevor Pryce in 1997. That drought appears poised to end this month.

The questions on the next line of defense revolve around weak-side linebacker D.J. Williams and the six-game suspension he faces for violation of the league's performance enhancing drugs policy. In the 48 hours before signing Manning, the Broncos quietly agreed to terms to bring back linebackers Joe Mays and Wesley Woodyard on three- and two-year contracts, respectively.

Both had sizable roles last year; Mays was a middle linebacker in the Broncos' base package, while Woodyard was one of two linebackers (along with Williams) in Denver's nickel defense. More important for Woodyard, he started early in the 2011 season while Williams recovered from a dislocated right elbow.

Woodyard ended the season with 87 tackles, the team's second-highest total, but has never had a better chance to be a permanent starter than what he would receive if Williams' suspension is upheld.

"We didn't want to have multiple holes there and we have a potential suspension of D.J., so it was important to get Joe and Wes back," general manager Brian Xanders said.

The issues were less pressing at cornerback, where Del Rio helped attract ex-Saints cornerback Tracy Porter to the Broncos on a one-year, $4 million deal.

"He asked me (what I wanted)," Porter recalled. "I told him, 'I want to win and I want to get back to the Super Bowl. I wanted to just overall be a better player. He told me, 'You can definitely help with that but you have to be willing to put in the time and the work to get to that point.'

"I told him, 'That's no problem.'"

Porter affords the Broncos the luxury of cornerback depth, with three veteran starters (Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman and Porter) and Chris Harris, an undrafted rookie and former college safety who by the end of last season was the nickel back -- and arguably the secondary's most consistent tackler.

Safety isn't a large question mark, even with Brian Dawkins' status still undecided after neck problems ended his season three weeks early.

The Broncos appear prepared for life without the 16-year veteran; they signed ex-Broncos free safety Mike Adams and can move 2011 fourth-round pick Quinton Carter from free safety, where he started 11 games as a rookie, to Dawkins' old strong safety position. Carter played strong safety at Oklahoma and has acknowledged it is a more natural position and better fit.

But Carter is a microcosm of the Broncos' defense beyond the Miller-Dumervil-Bailey trinity: a part with potential, but still a work in progress.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...rns-to-defense
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Chris Harris, an undrafted rookie and former college safety who by the end of last season was the nickel back -- and arguably the secondary's most consistent tackler.

I love Harris, but nobody on the team tackles better than Champ. I hate it when I realize halfway through an article that I know more than the writer. It seems to happen alot these days and I'm not that smart.
Crushisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushisback View Post
I love Harris, but nobody on the team tackles better than Champ. I hate it when I realize halfway through an article that I know more than the writer. It seems to happen alot these days and I'm not that smart.
Ok...the writer said "arguably". That means one could argue that he was the team's most "consistent" tackler.....

Arguably does not mean "etched in stone"....and consistent does not mean "best".
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
The fact that Thomas is their only remaining defensive lineman from the Mike Shanahan years does not appear to help his cause.
...what?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Thomas's problem is that he is an OK player and not a star. His HAM is stale and he needs to sign a contract ASAP or he will be out of football. Those rookies are going to look good in minicamp.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

thomas cant be that much money, why are we pinning our hopes on 2 guys who were injured last year instead of bringing in a steady vet backup?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
thomas cant be that much money, why are we pinning our hopes on 2 guys who were injured last year instead of bringing in a steady vet backup?
Frankly this is what I don't understand. At the least Thomas would be some experienced, solid depth.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
My hunch is that the Broncos have offers out there to Thomas and Bannan (and maybe Okoye) and they're just waiting for one of them to accept it, just as these players are waiting/hoping that somebody will offer them more. It's a game of chicken at this point.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
...what?
His HAM is stale.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
His HAM is stale.
No, it was just wrong. Elvis is from the Shanahan era as well.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
My hunch is that the Broncos have offers out there to Thomas and Bannan (and maybe Okoye) and they're just waiting for one of them to accept it, just as these players are waiting/hoping that somebody will offer them more. It's a game of chicken at this point.
That's what it seems is happening.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

How many DTs are they going to keep going into the season? Four?

Whether it is misguided or not, you know they are counting on Warren to come back and contribute. You know they like Vickerson because he's the only DT other than Warren to get a muli-year deal from this regime.

That leaves two spots. You have to assume they are going to draft one DT, but maybe there isn't a lot of urgency because they figure they can always just draft two DTs in this deep class.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:

Whether it is misguided or not, you know they are counting on Warren to come back and contribute. You know they like Vickerson because he's the only DT other than Warren to get a muli-year deal from this regime.

That leaves two spots. You have to assume they are going to draft one DT, but maybe there isn't a lot of urgency because they figure they can always just draft two DTs in this deep class.
I'm almost certain this was the thinking going into last years draft and the broncos drafted 0 DT last year

so there's that
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

wr,rb, and defensive tackles ..... by the dozen please.......lol
Jetmeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Thomas's problem is that he is an OK player and not a star. His HAM is stale and he needs to sign a contract ASAP or he will be out of football. Those rookies are going to look good in minicamp.

H.A.M.
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Ok...the writer said "arguably". That means one could argue that he was the team's most "consistent" tackler.....

Arguably does not mean "etched in stone"....and consistent does not mean "best".
I am arguably smarter than Albert Einstein.
I am arguably richer than Mitt Romney.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushisback View Post
Champ gave up the most YAC of any cb last yr. Just had one of those yrs where a couple guys broke free for big gains and no safety made a play to stop it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Frankly this is what I don't understand. At the least Thomas would be some experienced, solid depth.
He is a good rotational and depth guy but will not be a star, he reminds me of Gerrard Warren, good enough to play in the NFL but a world beater.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:

maybe just one
McBean was tendered and played more snaps than anyone last year
I bet he sticks
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

I don't understand why we only gave Porter a 1 year deal. Being so thin at CB, why not 4 years or so?
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #22
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobiv View Post
I don't understand why we only gave Porter a 1 year deal. Being so thin at CB, why not 4 years or so?
I agree, he seems to be versatile enough to play safety or CB. He was a starter on a SB championship team. I guess people question his coverage ability.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #23
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

Injury, knee.............you can't commit, make them earn it
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #24
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobiv View Post
That is all he wanted to sign for. The TV contract is due to be renewed next year and it will mean bigger contracts for players. Many one year deals being signed this year.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No, it was just wrong. Elvis is from the Shanahan era as well.
Ryan McBean was also added to our practice squad in September 2008, so Thomas wouldn't even be the only DT if he was brought back.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote