The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
pricejj
jungle

Default Right Tackle's Are Your Friends

With the meteoric rise of Ryan Tannehill (QB) and Stephon Gilmore (CB) there is an increasingly likely chance that a top RT will fall in the lap of the Broncos at #25.

It seems as though the Broncos are forced to pick a DT in the 1st round of the draft. Could the Broncos incompetence in signing free agent DT's rob Peyton Manning of having a true RT in Denver?

Code:
Player        Pos.    Height    Weight    Forty    Three-cone
Jonathan Martin	OT    6'051"    312 lbs    5.29s    7.69s 
Mike Adams	OT    6'070"    323 lbs    5.40s    7.94s
Bobby Massie	OT    6'056"    316 lbs    5.23s    7.70s 
OrlandoFranklin	RT    6'054"    316 lbs    5.11s    8.37s
Observe Orlando Franklin's lack of foot speed in the three-cone drill compared to the 3, 4, and 5th rated OT's in the 2012 draft. You're right, you weren't just seeing things, as Franklin whiffed on faster DE's all year, the most important of which came against New England's Rob Ninkovich in the playoffs. Ninkovich twice sacked Tebow almost instaneously after the snap, leaving Tebow bleeding internally with loose cartilage around his ribcage. There is no coincidence that Franklin played LG at Miami. Is EFX taking a serious gamble on $96M Peyton Manning's security?

Tom Nalen recently said "pick Lineman in the 1st round...Offensive Lineman". New England seems to have it right, what will Denver do?

Last edited by pricejj; 04-06-2012 at 12:23 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

In before thread is deleted.
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Prodigal19
Seasoned Veteran

In before above post is deleted. Good thread. I agree
Prodigal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Shananahan

Might want to edit the edit.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i would love it if Harris was healthy. then we get a top notch RT slide Franklin inside to LG an have a badass line.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

I would be fine with an offensive tackle pick in the first, but I don't know if there will be anybody worth grabbing. Realistically, any defensive lineman we pick this year will have a limited impact initially, an offensive lineman has a much better chance of excelling early.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Realistically, any defensive lineman we pick this year will have a limited impact initially, an offensive lineman has a much better chance of excelling early.
I've seen this comment made multiple times around here recently and I don't understand it at all.

You should use the draft to keep your roster filled with talent and to ensure you don't ever end up with the type of gaping holes Denver now has at defensive tackle, not to simply grab the guy who has the most potential to make an impact in the immediate season.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i would love it if Harris was healthy. then we get a top notch RT slide Franklin inside to LG an have a badass line.
Yep. He was a top RT before the injuries piled up.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Yep. He was a top RT before the injuries piled up.
I have high hopes for Harris too, but I literally have heard nothing about him since he resigned.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

would be a wasted draft pick
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
would be a wasted draft pick
Remember profootballweekly had the Broncos Offensive Line rated as the 30th best in the league last year? That ain't too good.

Maybe you would rather start by replacing Walton with Konz?

I know Xanders wishes the problem would just go away, unfortunately it's a little more complicated than that.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
Shananahan

Why not just convert Crick into a RT? He ran a 7.47, and will be around later on.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Remember profootballweekly had the Broncos Offensive Line rated as the 30th best in the league last year? That ain't too good.

Maybe you would rather start by replacing Walton with Konz?

I know Xanders wishes the problem would just go away, unfortunately it's a little more complicated than that.
Yeah I also remember we had a QB who was terrible at being a pocket passer and he held onto the ball too long.

Franklin will be fine, he played good for being a rookie that had to worry about protecting the blind side of a QB that held onto the ball too long.

Last edited by KevinJames; 04-06-2012 at 01:41 AM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #14
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Nothing like replacing a guy because he wasn't all-pro in his rookie season with another rookie and then expecting different results. When it comes to developing players some people have the patience of a 3 year-old... or Josh McDaniels.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #15
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Nothing like replacing a guy because he wasn't all-pro in his rookie season with another rookie and then expecting different results. When it comes to developing players some people have the patience of a 3 year-old... or Josh McDaniels.
I think the thing with Franklin is that our LG isn't that good and Franklin played LG in college, not RT. So he'd go to his natural position, one that's less stressful in pass protection (his weakness) and one far better suited for his aggressive talents.

As for us drafting Konz. We'd have signed Jeff Saturday if we didn't want Walton anymore.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If KONZ the center falls we have to take him IMO. Or if we did snag a better RT could Franklin play guard. He seems like more a guard to me. Like a road grading guard. I am all for more oline. DT is a huge gap also though. Really just like last yr Broncos have multiple spots they are weak at. We could use a WR, RB, OG, C, DT, MLB
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
I think the thing with Franklin is that our LG isn't that good and Franklin played LG in college, not RT. So he'd go to his natural position, one that's less stressful in pass protection (his weakness) and one far better suited for his aggressive talents.

As for us drafting Konz. We'd have signed Jeff Saturday if we didn't want Walton anymore.
Maybe, unless Broncos didn't want him super bad because they figured either Walton is decent, or maybe Konz is there in the draft.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #18
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Right Tackle is about 102nd on the Broncos list of current needs, right after new dietician and new nike baseball caps.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #19
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Right Tackle is about 102nd on the Broncos list of current needs, right after new dietician and new nike baseball caps.
I kinda disagree. There is little to no depth on the line and center/LG position are slightly below average at this point. Add in the fact it will take time for Kuper to recovery and there is need for offense line help for Manning.

If someone like Cordy Glenn (LT/LG) is sitting there at 25 then there is strong chance they might draft him.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

If the Broncos thought Franklin was a better fit at LG instead of RT don't you think they'd have played him at LG last year instead of Zane Beadles who spent almost his entire collegiate career and a good portion of his rookie year playing OT?

They moved Franklin to RT and Beadles from RT to LG specifically because they think that is where each player has their best chance for success. That is probably due to how much the offense liked running to the right last year with Beadles pulling in behind Kuper and Franklin (it was the single best skill Beadles displayed all last season). You can't do that with someone like Franklin.

Three cone drills also aren't the be all end all of lateral mobility. Wing span (or arm length) and how well a player can generate leverage after moving play a big role on the outside. If you're rating Franklin strictly as a measurables guy you'd see a 6'5" guy with an arm length comparable to Nate Solder (6'8") Gabe Carimi (6'7"), and Tyron Smith (6'5"). He's got the right body dimensions for an OT and has an explosive first step (broad jump is up there with Solder and Carimi as well).

His problems with speed rushers last year stem from being very raw. Magazu knows what the **** he's doing on the OL, if he thinks Franklin is an RT then that's good enough to roll with.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #21
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I kinda disagree. There is little to no depth on the line and center/LG position are slightly below average at this point. Add in the fact it will take time for Kuper to recovery and there is need for offense line help for Manning.

If someone like Cordy Glenn (LT/LG) is sitting there at 25 then there is strong chance they might draft him.
The lack of depth and the questions about Kuper show a need for interior linemen, not OTs. We definitely need more depth on the interior, but with Clady at LT, Franklin at RT, and Harris as the swing tackle we're looking good on the outsides.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #22
CEH
Ring of Famer

IMO

Peyton Manning would not in a million years come to Denver if Denver had the type of Oline that alot of fans on this messageboard thinks Denver has.

Glenn is a LG/LT type that has verasatility so he would be a great pick but he'll be gone.

Denver is will not draft a true RT at #25. That would be the ultimate waste of the Manning signing. A playmaker on either side of the ball would be a much better selection

BTW been on the Gilmore bandwagon for a month now. Would love for Denver to draft the kid. Press man in Del Rio's defense a perfect match

In addition

"It seems as though the Broncos are forced to pick a DT in the 1st round of the draft." - never a true statement

Last edited by CEH; 04-06-2012 at 05:14 AM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #23
Jay3

I think it's an issue. The sniping that will occur all season long is in the cards right now -- the O-line has limitations, and is very thin in depth. One of those limitations is Franklin's ability to block against a speed rush from the outside.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would take Martin if deciding one of those OT's. But I have been a big believer for awhile that Franklin should be playing LG. The 3 cone drill is a good indicator of how a player's feet move and change of direction. Sure, a player who has slow feet can compensate by being very good at anticipating, but nothing beats quick feet, especially for OT's. But I doubt the Broncos would draft an OT with their top pick anyway.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #25
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I would take Martin if deciding one of those OT's. But I have been a big believer for awhile that Franklin should be playing LG. The 3 cone drill is a good indicator of how a player's feet move and change of direction. Sure, a player who has slow feet can compensate by being very good at anticipating, but nothing beats quick feet, especially for OT's. But I doubt the Broncos would draft an OT with their top pick anyway.
Well said.

We have so many holes, we can hardly go wrong. However, the thinking on taking a true RT in the first round is a very sound idea IF you have first round talent there at your pick. Our team is now the Peyton Manning Broncos (like it or not). So, protecting our $96 million dollar investement should be priority #1 - even over solidifying the defense (yes, I just said it). Manning proved he could win a superbowl with the leagues worst run defense (regular season).

If we can upgrade your bookends with first round talent - do it! However, there is no pressure to do this unless the right guy falls to our spot. If he is the BPA, so be it.

Watch all of Franklin's film, all the way back to college. He doesn't have Tackle feet, he plays like a Guard. He will be exposed in a pass first system. Once again, I love the kid, but at his current "bruiser" weight, that will never, ever change. My son is a collegiate OG and currently weighs about 340+ because that's what his role is - road grader. If he was kicking back out to Tackle, the first thing he would do is lose about 25 pounds and focus on speed work. Franklin is a road grading Guard, and if he switched to LG, he could be an All-Pro.

About the Center position, I don't know why everyone is so gaga about Konz. With his lack of upper body strength, he probably needs a year to develop. If you want a Center, take Molk in rounds 3-4. He won the Rimington award as the nations top Center.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote