The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #2451
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
Well our GM did say he's had more than 1 team talk to him about a trade. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen. We'll see. Can't trust any GM this time of the year!

I think our plan is to trade down and take Lane Johnson, who is just as good of a pass blocker as Joeckel or Fisher.
You don't need the best Tackle in the draft just a guy who fits your system, trading down would be the smart move. You better hope someone falls in love with Geno.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:45 AM   #2452
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandftw View Post
Chiefs can set themselves up pretty good for the future if they are able to acquire a second for 2014 in the Albert trade, and another 2nd rounder in a trade down from #1.

Having three 2nd rounders for 2014 potentially would help them to trade up for their QBOTF once they realize that Chase Daniel is awful, and never should have been signed.
Chiefs trade up to draft a franchise QB?? That'll be the day!

And who says they won't have the #1 pick again next year?
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #2453
Rolandftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Chiefs trade up to draft a franchise QB?? That'll be the day!

And who says they won't have the #1 pick again next year?
Well, it's what they should do. They're not going to be relevant with Alex Smith unless they are basically the best everywhere else.

Unfortunately for them, getting rid of Crennel probably wins 1-2 more games for them. Would be surprised if they're picking #1 again anytime soon.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #2454
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandftw View Post
Well, it's what they should do. They're not going to be relevant with Alex Smith unless they are basically the best everywhere else.

Unfortunately for them, getting rid of Crennel probably wins 1-2 more games for them. Would be surprised if they're picking #1 again anytime soon.
This just doesn't seem like the year to do get a QB.

I'm okay with Alex Smith for now because he's the best possible option, but I expect us to draft a guy to replace him in the future.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #2455
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

How bad do the chefs suck, well look at their timing when it comes to drafting a QB:

2014 projected mock draft: http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

and we know what happened in 2012.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #2456
Rolandftw

Quote:
This just doesn't seem like the year to do get a QB.

I'm okay with Alex Smith for now because he's the best possible option, but I expect us to draft a guy to replace him in the future.
The problem is, you guys are unlikely to draft anyone to replace him, at least this year. I agree that they shouldn't have spent the #1 pick on Geno, but to make Chase Daniel the likely backup seems to be a big middle finger to those that have been championing KC to draft a QB high for years. I find it very hard to believe that Chase Daniel has a higher ceiling, or even more immediate value then the top 5 QB's in this years class.

Guess Smith was your best option this year, but longterm KC would have been a lot better off taking a gamble in the draft.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #2457
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
How bad do the chefs suck, well look at their timing when it comes to drafting a QB:

They DO have us losing to the Seattle Seahawks, in the 2014 Super Bowl. That is SOMEWHAT positive...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #2458
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

You think Johnny Football is going to be a franchise QB?

That guy is so overrated. He's barely 6 feet tall and scrawnier than Brodie Croyle.

Plus he has attitude problems and he's an a-hole.

Teddy Bridgewater looks awesome though if he can build. He seems to be the only "franchise QB" prospect next year as of right now.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #2459
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
You think Johnny Football is going to be a franchise QB?

That guy is so overrated. He's barely 6 feet tall and scrawnier than Brodie Croyle.

Plus he has attitude problems and he's an a-hole.

Teddy Bridgewater looks awesome though if he can build. He seems to be the only "franchise QB" prospect next year as of right now.
They are projecting 4 QBs taken in the top 10, that's the point. This year they are trying to justify 1 QB taken in the top 10. This year is not only weak at the QB position, it's extremely weak. It's almost a anomoly for how bad the QBs are, like once in 10 years bad.

Last year was a once and 10 years high, this year it's just the opposite. Congrats, loser.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #2460
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

The Chiefs will be bad enough in 2013 to have their shot at an excellent class of QBs coming out in 2014. I was really hoping they would blow it and draft one of the turds this year.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #2461
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
They are projecting 4 QBs taken in the top 10, that's the point. This year they are trying to justify 1 QB taken in the top 10. This year is not only weak at the QB position, it's extremely weak. It's almost a anomoly for how bad the QBs are, like once in 10 years bad.

Last year was a once and 10 years high, this year it's just the opposite. Congrats, loser.
You do realize that a QB is not the best player in next years draft right? Hell they might not be the 2nd or even 3rd best.

Marquise Lee and Jadeveon Clowney are the best talents in the draft next year. And you could make a great argument that Jake Mathews is the 3rd best talent.

Btw tell Elway thanks for letting your 2nd best pass rusher go and getting nothing in return. Now teams are only afraid of Von, but will double team him. Thanks John!

Last edited by KCStud; 03-25-2013 at 03:40 PM..
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #2462
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
You do realize that a QB is not the best player in next years draft right? Hell they might not be the 2nd or even 3rd best.

Marquise Lee and Jadeveon Clowney are the best talents in the draft next year. And you could make a great argument that Jake Mathews is the 3rd best talent.

Btw tell Elway thanks for letting your 2nd best pass rusher go and getting nothing in return. Now teams are only afraid of Von, but will double team him. Thanks John!
I guess we will see...
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #2463
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Looks like Albert is a ne show at kFc voluntary workouts.

But hurt about being shopped, sounds like he thinks kFc is going to draft a LT and then trade his ass.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ntary-workouts
Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #2464
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Looks like Albert is a ne show at kFc voluntary workouts.

But hurt about being shopped, sounds like he thinks kFc is going to draft a LT and then trade his ass.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ntary-workouts
Albert knows that if kc drafts a LT they will move Albert to RT either right away or after the 2013 season. Albert knows LT is the money position so he absolutely does not want to move to RT. I really believe kc wants to trade Albert desperately. Problem is, this is a top heavy draft for tackles and the strength of this draft is in rounds 2-4 so not many teams are gonna want to part with their second round pick...

I'm guessing kc drafts a LT with their first if they can't trade down...
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #2465
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

I don't understand KC's plan if they go with Joeckel.

Draft Joeckel #1, pay Albert franchise money this year then let him walk next year? What's the point in that? This team is not on the cusp of a Super Bowl.

Trading away picks for Alex Smith? Signing KC is spinning their wheels big time.

Their best bet is to trade Albert but his trade value stinks right now. But it would be better to get something for him at least.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #2466
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

Draft Joeckel #1, pay Albert franchise money this year then let him walk next year? What's the point in that? This team is not on the cusp of a Super Bowl.

Trading away picks for Alex Smith? Signing KC is spinning their wheels big time.

Their best bet is to trade Albert but his trade value stinks right now. But it would be better to get something for him at least.
Nobody does. Well, expect for desperate dumpster fire franchises in small markets with gullible fan bases.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #2467
FearLanier

Quote:

It is being speculated that Branden Albert's back problems could be worse than perceived, but I'm not so sure that's true.

Albert has also been injured and missed games 4 of his 5 seasons and has never made a pro bowl, so does he really deserve big money?

NFL Network said that the Chiefs have 3 players who they are deciding on to make the pick: Joeckel, Fisher and Jordan.

I think the best plan is to keep Albert and draft Jordan. I really like his potential.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #2468
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

kc's plan is to trade Albert and recoup that #2 pick. But if they can't do this (there's still a few weeks before the draft) then they will take a tackle regardless. Albert is a good tackle and if he'd agree to move to the right side then kc would probably keep him. They'd then have a stud LT and a stud RT. But Albert has stated he's not playing RT and this is a smart move on his part because LT is where the money is at.

The idiot move by kc was giving up those draft picks for Alex Smith. That's where the turd was layed. If I was kc I would have offered a 4th round pick, maybe a 3rd at most for Alex Smith. If SF said no, then I would have brought in Matt Moore and then maybe drafted Barkley in the second round or another QB, whatever.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #2469
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
The idiot move by kc was giving up those draft picks for Alex Smith. That's where the turd was layed. If I was kc I would have offered a 4th round pick, maybe a 3rd at most for Alex Smith. If SF said no, then I would have brought in Matt Moore and then maybe drafted Barkley in the second round or another QB, whatever.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

They fell in love with the fact that Smith was in the NFC Championship game the year before just as they fell in love with Grrrback, Bono, Montana in the past.

They gave up a lot for a short armed QB who proved he needs a full team around him to succeed.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #2470
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

They fell in love with the fact that Smith was in the NFC Championship game the year before just as they fell in love with Grrrback, Bono, Montana in the past.

They gave up a lot for a short armed QB who proved he needs a full team around him to succeed.
I would normally agree with this, but not this year. Alex Smith was the best QB available this year and it really isn't close. These QB's in the draft are arguably the worst class in 10 years.

I mean, what does it say when teams with the 1st, 3rd, 7th and 8th pick that desperately need a QB in the draft acquire veteran QB right before the draft?

It was reported that Oakland came in at the last minute and drove up the price for Alex Smith. On KC radio they said that we had originally offered a 3rd for him. A 2nd is the going rate for a QB though.

I think Reid recognized that we have some solid football players on the team like Bowe, Charles, Albert, Flowers, DJ, Tamba, Houston, Berry, Colquitt and a few other pieces that have some potential but we don't know what they are because of coaching.

We didn't give Alex Smith an extension, so it's widely believed that we will see how he does now and if he doesn't succeed, he will be replaced. Reid thinks this team is a team that can make the playoffs with better coaching this year. He mentioned that we were very close in 2011 and the pieces are still here.

We'll see though. I think the Chiefs will be in the playoff race this next season. Doesn't mean they'll get in, but they'll be in the discussion. I think a record around 8-8 is a fair expectation for this year.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #2471
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
I would normally agree with this, but not this year. Alex Smith was the best QB available this year and it really isn't close. These QB's in the draft are arguably the worst class in 10 years.

I mean, what does it say when teams with the 1st, 3rd, 7th and 8th pick that desperately need a QB in the draft acquire veteran QB right before the draft?

It was reported that Oakland came in at the last minute and drove up the price for Alex Smith. On KC radio they said that we had originally offered a 3rd for him. A 2nd is the going rate for a QB though.

I think Reid recognized that we have some solid football players on the team like Bowe, Charles, Albert, Flowers, DJ, Tamba, Houston, Berry, Colquitt and a few other pieces that have some potential but we don't know what they are because of coaching.

We didn't give Alex Smith an extension, so it's widely believed that we will see how he does now and if he doesn't succeed, he will be replaced. Reid thinks this team is a team that can make the playoffs with better coaching this year. He mentioned that we were very close in 2011 and the pieces are still here.

We'll see though. I think the Chiefs will be in the playoff race this next season. Doesn't mean they'll get in, but they'll be in the discussion. I think a record around 8-8 is a fair expectation for this year.
Funny how Geno was being pimped during the season as a legit playoff contending QB who could come in and make kFc competitive right away.

Smith being the best available isn't saying much. Just look at his stats before he had a quality team built around him. I think you got the next Matt Cassel, not Joe Montana.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #2472
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:

So the Chiefs are giving up a 2nd and another 2nd or 3rd for a two year rental?

How Raider-esque of them to do that.

Are Chief fans really happy with this? Yes, Alex Smith gives them a chance to win a few more games. But why shoot for 8-8 (even that is high expectations IMO) when you can roll the dice and go for a franchise QB? Look at the quarterbacks the Chiefs have missed out in the past few years especially because they were content with Cassel or Brodie Croyle.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #2473
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:

Are Chief fans really happy with this? Yes, Alex Smith gives them a chance to win a few more games. But why shoot for 8-8 (even that is high expectations IMO) when you can roll the dice and go for a franchise QB? Look at the quarterbacks the Chiefs have missed out in the past few years especially because they were content with Cassel or Brodie Croyle.
kFc needs to take a QB at some point to groom and to be a backup to Smith. They are paying Daniel a lot of money considering he only has 7 passes in 3 years. Is an undrafted kid getting $3.333.333 mill a year going to take over or compete with AS?

If kFc was smart and one of these under whelming QB's were around in the 2nd round they should pull the trig...oh wait they don't have a 2nd round pick...

A. Smith, Ricky Stanzi, Chase Daniel are the QBOTF in kFc

Now that Albert is franchised, they just can't cut him without taking a Cap hit right? They kinda dug themselves into a hole.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #2474
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

kFc gets to start their new regime with

Saints
49ers
Steelers
Packers

They better hope the worst record gives them a bigger break in the RS.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #2475
FearLanier

Quote:

While true, that's not on this regime since they weren't here before this year. Alex Smith fits our system fairly well and Andy Reid has always liked him.

I will trust Andy Reid here with his history of the QB position.

But it does say a lot that NFL personnel are not impressed with this class.

I would like to see them draft a QB high in the next year or two and keep Alex Smith around in the mean time.

Alex Smith signing is like Jake Plummer to the Broncos IMO. Same kind of move with the same kind of feel. Good QB coach getting an average QB to fit his system.