The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #5326
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
The Broncos should sign him so they can make it 33-8 next time instead of 43-8.
are you suggesting the Broncos win another Lamar Hunt trophy in 2014?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #5327
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
are you suggesting the Broncos win another Lamar Hunt trophy in 2014?
Who's Lamar Hunt? ��
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #5328
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
The Broncos should sign him so they can make it 33-8 next time instead of 43-8.
Yo! NEW YEAR! Go snort a line on Alice dick and wake up!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #5329
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...-cb-chiefs-had

"At cornerback the Chiefs are left with only veteran Sean Smith as a proven commodity, and though Smith is an adequate starter, he's not a No. 1. Their other starter in the offseason has been Marcus Cooper, a seventh-round draft pick last year by the San Francisco 49ers. The Chiefs grabbed him off waivers at the start of last season and he played well for a time as their third cornerback.

By season's end, his play had deteriorated to the point the Chiefs felt compelled to move him to the bench.

The other cornerbacks currently contending for playing time are Ron Parker, a journeyman who has been beaten several times in offseason practice, Chris Owens, a 5-9 nickel back, and rookie Phillip Gaines, a third-round draft pick who so far has shown little."

BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #5330
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...-cb-chiefs-had

"At cornerback the Chiefs are left with only veteran Sean Smith as a proven commodity, and though Smith is an adequate starter, he's not a No. 1. Their other starter in the offseason has been Marcus Cooper, a seventh-round draft pick last year by the San Francisco 49ers. The Chiefs grabbed him off waivers at the start of last season and he played well for a time as their third cornerback.

By season's end, his play had deteriorated to the point the Chiefs felt compelled to move him to the bench.

The other cornerbacks currently contending for playing time are Ron Parker, a journeyman who has been beaten several times in offseason practice, Chris Owens, a 5-9 nickel back, and rookie Phillip Gaines, a third-round draft pick who so far has shown little."

Oh and don't forget this from two days ago:

Quote:
Chiefs cornerback Sean Smith was arrested on Monday morning in Kansas City and cited for operating with a vehicle with a BAC of .08 or more, according to KCTV5.com. Smith was arrested after he crashed into a light post at an intersection after trying to make a left turn. The crash broke the light post.

According to the police report obtained by KCTV, the Chiefs corner declined medical attention. He also mumbled statements that police couldn't understand after the crash, which occurred around 12:30 a.m.

Smith was eventually taken into custody and charged with suspicion of DUI, careless driving and driving without proof of insurance, according to the Kansas City Star.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...g-after-arrest
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #5331
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Oh and don't forget this from two days ago:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...g-after-arrest
Wow is there another Luck in the draft or something.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #5332
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

KC is finishing last in the NFCW. Oakland will finish ahead of them in my opinion.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #5333
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I can only assume there is something we are not being told about Flowers, either injury, arrest or suspension.

The Chiefs didn't go after CB in FA or the draft, so it seems they didn't plan on cutting Flowers. They had the choice of getting Dennard or Ford, and to me the choice the Ford clearly indicated that Hali was going to be the one faced with the choice of taking a smaller deal or getting cut. Even with Hali gone they would still have Houston and Ford to bookend their front. The secondary was the weakness of the Chiefs last season and when Flowers went down in the playoffs they got completely exposed by Luck.

5 million is not a bad salary for a good CB, I know his 10 million cap hit was a bit much for him, but given the deals recenty handed out to CBs like Talib, DRC, Revis, Haden and Marshall clearly CB is a premier position with premier size contracts being awarded. I know that Flowers wasn't quite the right size for todays NFL, but I think in the right system he could be a solid number 1 guy.

The other funny thing is the timing of it, after FA and the draft so the Chiefs can't replace him and he won't get a good chance at getting a good deal with another team this offseason. However it is right around mandatory OTAs, so I am wondering if he showed up and the Chiefs saw something that scared them off.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #5334
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I can only assume there is something we are not being told about Flowers, either injury, arrest or suspension.

The Chiefs didn't go after CB in FA or the draft, so it seems they didn't plan on cutting Flowers. They had the choice of getting Dennard or Ford, and to me the choice the Ford clearly indicated that Hali was going to be the one faced with the choice of taking a smaller deal or getting cut. Even with Hali gone they would still have Houston and Ford to bookend their front. The secondary was the weakness of the Chiefs last season and when Flowers went down in the playoffs they got completely exposed by Luck.

5 million is not a bad salary for a good CB, I know his 10 million cap hit was a bit much for him, but given the deals recenty handed out to CBs like Talib, DRC, Revis, Haden and Marshall clearly CB is a premier position with premier size contracts being awarded. I know that Flowers wasn't quite the right size for todays NFL, but I think in the right system he could be a solid number 1 guy.

The other funny thing is the timing of it, after FA and the draft so the Chiefs can't replace him and he won't get a good chance at getting a good deal with another team this offseason. However it is right around mandatory OTAs, so I am wondering if he showed up and the Chiefs saw something that scared them off.
He's a good guy off the field from what i've heard, he was battling a foot injury last season. Maybe he didnt fit their scheme but he's still a good CB.

I brought up something similar as well, why do this now and not before FA so he can get a good deal in FA, and two, KC would have some cap room to use maybe to keep Schwartz or get a receiver/other position.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #5335
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
KC is finishing last in the NFCW. Oakland will finish ahead of them in my opinion.
Oakland will be much improved IMO and I agree with you they will finish ahead of the Chiefs. I would be tough to be a Chiefs fan.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #5336
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post

Something must be happening. I read he had not shown up at any box the OTA. I don't think he has a lot left in the tank and was overrated anyways. He won't be a bronco.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #5337
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Something must be happening. I read he had not shown up at any box the OTA. I don't think he has a lot left in the tank and was overrated anyways. He won't be a bronco.
If the corner back starved Chiefs did not want him why would we want him?
Old 06-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #5338
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
He's 28 years old, and has only played 6 years, i wouldnt say he's washed.

He was battling a foot injury last year.

I agree he wont be a Bronco unless he took a cheap deal to screw KC.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #5339
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
They are in CAP hell. It was the only move they could make to free up money. It's really not that complicated. He isn't finished. He didn't rape a baby. The Chiefs are a **** team that is poorly ran. That is it.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #5340
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Flowers released a week after their other starter gets a DUI. They let BrandenAlbert go, have literally no WR's and andno O line. 6-10

— Brandon Spano(@BrandonSpano) June 13, 2014

Mile High Salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #5341
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
You should re-read the title of this thread again.

The Chefs are a negative barometer if there ever was one.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #5342
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
He's a good guy off the field from what i've heard, he was battling a foot injury last season. Maybe he didnt fit their scheme but he's still a good CB.

I brought up something similar as well, why do this now and not before FA so he can get a good deal in FA, and two, KC would have some cap room to use maybe to keep Schwartz or get a receiver/other position.

Chiefs released CB Brandon Flowers.
Flowers' performance and usefulness in Kansas City slipped dramatically under new DC Bob Sutton last season, as a press-man scheme was installed in the secondary and Flowers failed to find a fit. He wound up mostly at slot corner, and was beaten relentlessly. The Chiefs were trying to trade Flowers, but found no takers for his contract. Flowers had some of the best years of his career under now-Texans DC Romeo Crennel, and cornerback depth is needed in Houston. We wouldn't be surprised to see them reunite. Flowers turned 28 in February.

As for why they waited so long to cut him......

June 1 represents an important day in the calendar year for the NFL. It is a day when various rules and tenders change.

The biggest impact for teams involves the modification of salary cap accounting rules for players whose contracts will be terminated after June 1 or whose contracts were terminated with the “Post June 1” designation. Prior to June 1 any player removed from a teams roster, either by release or trade, will have all their remaining salary cap allocations accelerate into the current League Year. For example a player with $1 million in prorated money from 2014 to 2017 whose contract is terminated will carry a “dead money” charge of $4 million in 2014.

However, after June 1 that “dead money” charge now splits between two seasons. Once released the team only needs to account for the current years prorated money in their 2014 salary cap accounting. All future years’ prorated money will now land as “dead money” in 2015. So for the example player above the “dead money” charges will equal $1 million in 2014 and $3 million in 2015. In practice this rule allows teams with underperforming, high priced players to release players before the season and remain salary cap compliant. If such a rule did not exist many teams would have a difficult time, with their salary caps often tight, to release a player with high prorated charges.

http://overthecap.com/june-1-date-means-nfl/

Any other questions?

PS if they cut him before they only would have freed up 3.5 million dollars. Waiting pushed KC cap room to 11.4

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 06-14-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Old 06-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #5343
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Chiefs released CB Brandon Flowers.
Flowers' performance and usefulness in Kansas City slipped dramatically under new DC Bob Sutton last season, as a press-man scheme was installed in the secondary and Flowers failed to find a fit. He wound up mostly at slot corner, and was beaten relentlessly. The Chiefs were trying to trade Flowers, but found no takers for his contract. Flowers had some of the best years of his career under now-Texans DC Romeo Crennel, and cornerback depth is needed in Houston. We wouldn't be surprised to see them reunite. Flowers turned 28 in February.

As for why they waited so long to cut him......

June 1 represents an important day in the calendar year for the NFL. It is a day when various rules and tenders change.

The biggest impact for teams involves the modification of salary cap accounting rules for players whose contracts will be terminated after June 1 or whose contracts were terminated with the “Post June 1” designation. Prior to June 1 any player removed from a teams roster, either by release or trade, will have all their remaining salary cap allocations accelerate into the current League Year. For example a player with $1 million in prorated money from 2014 to 2017 whose contract is terminated will carry a “dead money” charge of $4 million in 2014.

However, after June 1 that “dead money” charge now splits between two seasons. Once released the team only needs to account for the current years prorated money in their 2014 salary cap accounting. All future years’ prorated money will now land as “dead money” in 2015. So for the example player above the “dead money” charges will equal $1 million in 2014 and $3 million in 2015. In practice this rule allows teams with underperforming, high priced players to release players before the season and remain salary cap compliant. If such a rule did not exist many teams would have a difficult time, with their salary caps often tight, to release a player with high prorated charges.

http://overthecap.com/june-1-date-means-nfl/

Any other questions?

PS if they cut him before they only would have freed up 3.5 million dollars. Waiting pushed KC cap room to 11.4
I know what the June-1st cut thing is, smartass.

You can cut a guy, and designate him as a June-1st before, Steelers did it with Woodley.

Still stand by that, why do it now?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #5344
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Flowers isn't that good and KC paid him top dollar. When you take his price/performance and add in injuries the guy plain sucks.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #5345
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
I know what the June-1st cut thing is, smartass.

You can cut a guy, and designate him as a June-1st before, Steelers did it with Woodley.

Still stand by that, why do it now?
They wanted to TRADE him first.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #5346
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Flowers isn't that good and KC paid him top dollar. When you take his price/performance and add in injuries the guy plain sucks.
100 times better then Carter.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #5347
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
They wanted to TRADE him first.
and no one traded for him, probably because of his contract and the fact that he was going to be cut anyway. Flowers is a good CB and he now has a chance to sign on with another team.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #5348
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

The chiefs are a badly ran team. Why do you guys question the dumb moves they make
Old 06-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #5349
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
What good is cap room when no free agents ever want to play there?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #5350
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

I'm surprised at the Broncos fans that want Flowers. Dude gets roasted constantly. I don't want that turd.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote