The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
Pontius Pirate
I made a bad call Ripley

Default The Raiders Robbed Las Vegas in America's Worst Stadium Deal

"The incompetence—or skullduggery, depending on your perspective—of this deal really comes into focus when you consider how little leverage Mark Davis had in the first place and how badly the citizens of Clark County got screwed by the people elected to represent them."

http://deadspin.com/the-raiders-robb...ium-1795475973
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
BroncoFox
Cheervixen

If I have fleas.. they are happy.

For some reason.. for that team.. and that city.. it just seems.. appropriate.
BroncoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
bronco militia
made a business decision"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFox View Post
For some reason.. for that team.. and that city.. it just seems.. appropriate.
Yep... no ****s are given
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

BBW's HMU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I'm from Vegas. F it
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDongJohnson View Post
I'm from Vegas. F it
Well, you get the Broncos every year now...should be cool.
RonMexico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

People don't really care about being nickled and dimed until it all finally adds up and it turns into dollars. It's not just tourism taxes that are increased, it goes into gas taxes, property taxes and alot more. Will the new team and stadium generate money for the city, sure it will, but most of it goes to the NFL, not the residents. Not to say every stadium deal is a bad deal, there are some good ones. But there are some bad ones also where local tax payers are getting the shaft, paying even more than they were told they would have to.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ayers/3663541/
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Did we consider the New Mile Hi stadium back in '01 a bad deal back then? Does anyone remember the mood of the citizens of Denver and Colorado toward the stadium?

If I remember correctly, there was chatter that there was talk of the Broncos threatening to leave Denver if they weren't getting a new stadium. I do remember the new Mile High a bond issues that was voted on and passed by the citizens of Denver. It's a shame that it took threatening to relocate the team to force the citizens to vote for this tax deal to fund the stadium.
SVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #8
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PatriciaReimann

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
Did we consider the New Mile Hi stadium back in '01 a bad deal back then? Does anyone remember the mood of the citizens of Denver and Colorado toward the stadium?

If I remember correctly, there was chatter that there was talk of the Broncos threatening to leave Denver if they weren't getting a new stadium. I do remember the new Mile High a bond issues that was voted on and passed by the citizens of Denver. It's a shame that it took threatening to relocate the team to force the citizens to vote for this tax deal to fund the stadium.

Denver is a city of people who followed the Broncos for decades. Vegas residents have no connections to the Raiders other than fans who have moved there.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Denver is a city of people who followed the Broncos for decades. Vegas residents have no connections to the Raiders other than fans who have moved there.
Dont forget California two strike parolees who need to finish their violent crime spree in a friendlier state. That is decent percentage of Faiders fans.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Dont forget California two strike parolees who need to finish their violent crime spree in a friendlier state. That is decent percentage of Faiders fans.
You sure have a thing for Cali people don't ya, lol

I think in the Broncos case, as Drunken pointed out, very different circumstances and I don't think the stadium deal was considered a bad deal in Denver, unlike several other places recently like Atlanta, Minnesota and Vegas.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #11
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:

Nobody wanted to pay for it and the Broncos did use possibly leaving as an option.

Then the Broncos went on to win Super Bowls. First option was a dome(can't remember if it was a retract), but they felt the voters wouldn't approve it, so now you have the cheaper version which is the current stadium.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:00 AM   #12
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

Wow, great article. I am totally against these tax payer funded stadiums now. It is ridiculous.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Nobody wanted to pay for it and the Broncos did use possibly leaving as an option.

Then the Broncos went on to win Super Bowls. First option was a dome(can't remember if it was a retract), but they felt the voters wouldn't approve it, so now you have the cheaper version which is the current stadium.
The problem with the Denver stadium is that when they built it, they only added about 50 seats to it (or at least 50 more can go into the stadium). How didnthat help those on waiting list or get a ton more people to spend money in that part of the state? That is what i would have b****ed about.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #14
bronco militia
made a business decision"

Quote:

they asked Denver voters to extended the Coors field tax to pay for Invesco. WAGS (on the WRP forum) used to rail against it every chance he got at the old DPO forum. lol. Anyway, the only thing I remember being controversial was Bowlen deferring salary payments to Elway and TD so he could use cash to pay for the new stadium campaign.

Last edited by bronco militia; 05-24-2017 at 10:51 AM..
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote