The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Job seeking advice for my son (in Denver)

Hello All,
One of my boys is at that point in his college career where he "wants to take a break." He has been studying engineering, but has recently came to the realization that he isn't a "desk job" kind of guy. He has decided to head up to Denver for a couple weeks in April to try to find gainful employment. So, i'm asking for some potential leads for him. If you have any ideas on where I can steer him to start looking for an entry level job, i'd appreciate it.
A little of his background - he is an Eagle scout, and scholarship football athlete. He's worked for a civil engineering firm doing grunt work, worked in a design/build manufacturing facility that "cold welds" PVC pipe for oilfield water supply, worked in a machine shop, and is always asked back by his previous employers. He's a great worker, but he's just burned out on school for a while.

Any advice on where I could tell him to look? Once again, I think he would like to line up some interviews for the first 2 weeks in April.

Thanks!

Last edited by cmhargrove; 02-25-2015 at 08:01 AM..
cmhargrove is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #2
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Hello All,
One of my boys is at that point in his college career where he "wants to take a break." He has been studying engineering, but has recently came to the realization that he isn't a "desk job" kind of guy. He has decided to head up to Denver for a couple weeks in April to try to find gainful employment. So, i'm asking for some potential leads for him. If you have any ideas on where I can steer him to start looking for an entry level job, i'd appreciate it.
A little of his background - he is an Eagle scout, amd scholarship football athlete. He's worked for a civil engineering firm doing grunt work, worked in a design/build manufacturing facility that "cold welds" PVC pipe for oilfield water supply, worked in a machine shop, and is always asked back by his previous employers. He's a great worker, but he's just burned out on school for a while.

Any advide on where I could tell him to look? Once again, I think he would like to line up some interviews for the first 2 weeks in April.

Thanks!
Get into the pot industry an invite me up for the weekend!!
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
baja
Headmaster

Not 2 shabby isn't good enough-JE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

A job in sales is great life experience for a young person. You train yourself to think on your feet, meet all kinds of personalities, get to hone your people skills and you can be outside and different places every day if you choose the right gig.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Does he want an industrial construction and/or machining job?
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Does he want an industrial construction and/or machining job?
I think he is open minded and willing to start anywhere. He definitely has previous experience in the field, and would strongly consider this option. He likes working with his hands, and is also a strong computer / technology user. I'm sure he would strongly pursue any leads in this field, but he will consider anything - he is also a great people person. He's one of those 6'4" 350 lb "big bear" types that everyone likes. Strong as a damn ox, but friendly and considerate.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

I'd look to get into some sort of construction management where he can put the engineering to use but still work in the field. Hopefully he will go back and finish the degree, or some degree.

I agree with Baja, sales can be a great learning experience, including whether or not you are cut out for than kind of schmoozing.

I for one am not.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

The chosen one is coming.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I know he's absolutely enormous, but slap him and make him finish his education first.

He doesn't have to use it... but having an engineering degree will get his foot in the door at 10,000 more places than none at all.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
baja
Headmaster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
I'd look to get into some sort of construction management where he can put the engineering to use but still work in the field. Hopefully he will go back and finish the degree, or some degree.

I agree with Baja, sales can be a great learning experience, including whether or not you are cut out for than kind of schmoozing.

I for one am not.

The trick is to find a great product or service, learn it inside and out and find a way to convey it's value to others. That will serve you much better than schmoozing. Schmoozing only works on a small percentage of people, most people resent schmoozers.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I know he's absolutely enormous, but slap him and make him finish his education first.

He doesn't have to use it... but having an engineering degree will get his foot in the door at 10,000 more places than none at all.
Believe me, that has been tried. The boy needs to get out into the real world for a while, it's just what he needs to do. He has always had a great work history, and now he just needs to get out, pay his own rent, and decide if he likes the standard of living he has been used to - or if he likes scraping by.

Some people just have an inate need to learn the hard way, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Hopefully that directs him to complete his degree, but maybe he finds something else - who knows.

He's 22 years old, and my job as a parent is to help "guide" at this point. He knows my strong feelings about completing a degree, but he needs to follow his own path. It's always been my belief that the #1 thing that shapes human character is adversity. It's time for him to get out and experience that on his own.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The trick is to find a great product or service, learn it inside and out and find a way to convey it's value to others. That will serve you much better than schmoozing. Schmoozing only works on a small percentage of people, most people resent schmoozers.
If you also approach sales as a position of service, it works much better. I've made more sales by listening. it comes down to the art of conversation. If you're able to listen, and find the right fit(s) it works out much better. Not every customer is going to be the right fit. I've had products and during my sales meeting have told prospective clients: "After hearing about what you do, this probably isn't a good fit for you".

The worst thing you can do in sales is oversell a product or service. You might make that sale once - but you might not make it twice.

My key to sales:

Hustle: Make your calls. Set your appointments. Sales is a #'s game. The more people the better your odds.

Pitch: 30 seconds...sometimes less. Be honest. My pitch is basic: Do you want to save money & have better results? Give me a few minutes and let me explain what X does for you.

Ask Questions: Find out where their pain points are. People most of the time won't change unless the pain of "status quo" exceeds the pain of change.

Listen: Listen to what they are really saying. You have to find out what's not being said.

Overcome objections: If you know your product you'll know where it can help, or not.

Don't be afraid to say "This might not be a good fit for you". If it's not really a good fit. Go over some of why it may not work from what they told you. Give examples or the vision of why it works well for other customers. You might not make a sale with them today. You could get a call later, or they can refer you. Your word & being able to deliver are critical in sales.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Let me clarify, by schmoozing I did not mean selling what someone doesn't need. The industry I work in the sales cycle takes a while and in general takes quite a few "C" level type meetings, dinners, drinks etc and some prospects milk this. For a while it's fun but if you aren't made for this over time it can grind you down.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #12
baja
Headmaster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Let me clarify, by schmoozing I did not mean selling what someone doesn't need. The industry I work in the sales cycle takes a while and in general takes quite a few "C" level type meetings, dinners, drinks etc and some prospects milk this. For a while it's fun but if you aren't made for this over time it can grind you down.
I see, I would not like that type of sales either.

Unless it was fitting for breast implants
Old 02-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

The chosen one is coming.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Believe me, that has been tried. The boy needs to get out into the real world for a while, it's just what he needs to do. He has always had a great work history, and now he just needs to get out, pay his own rent, and decide if he likes the standard of living he has been used to - or if he likes scraping by.

Some people just have an inate need to learn the hard way, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Hopefully that directs him to complete his degree, but maybe he finds something else - who knows.

He's 22 years old, and my job as a parent is to help "guide" at this point. He knows my strong feelings about completing a degree, but he needs to follow his own path. It's always been my belief that the #1 thing that shapes human character is adversity. It's time for him to get out and experience that on his own.
He's so ****ing close though. Maybe give him my # and I can tell him he's being a total idiot and maybe hearing it from someone else will help?
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #14
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Finish his degree-Then he can get the good sales job if he wants one.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Maybe give him my # and I can tell him he's being a total idiot and maybe hearing it from someone else will help?
This should be an actual job.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #16
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Thought it was.

BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #17
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
"Life Coaches"...it already is.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #18
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
I think he is open minded and willing to start anywhere. He definitely has previous experience in the field, and would strongly consider this option. He likes working with his hands, and is also a strong computer / technology user. I'm sure he would strongly pursue any leads in this field, but he will consider anything - he is also a great people person. He's one of those 6'4" 350 lb "big bear" types that everyone likes. Strong as a damn ox, but friendly and considerate.
Big? Likes working with his hands? Strong as a ox?

I think he needs to get here asap....
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #19
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Thought it was.

We're gonna need a bigger lobster!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #20
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Hello All,
A little of his background - he is an Eagle scout, and scholarship football athlete. He's worked for a civil engineering firm doing grunt work, worked in a design/build manufacturing facility that "cold welds" PVC pipe for oilfield water supply, worked in a machine shop, and is always asked back by his previous employers. He's a great worker, but he's just burned out on school for a while.

Any advice on where I could tell him to look? Once again, I think he would like to line up some interviews for the first 2 weeks in April.

Thanks!
What kind of degree does he have?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #21
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
What kind of degree does he have?
You didn't even read what you quoted. If you had, you wouldn't have asked.

smh
Old 02-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #22
baja
Headmaster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Get him a job working with pouring cement, he'll go back to school the next semester.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Big? Likes working with his hands? Strong as a ox?

I think he needs to get here asap....
I think we would have both loved that to be a possibility, but life throws you curve balls. If he hadn't had a grade issue last semester, he would have been a starting Offensive Guard for Oklahoma State. He spent two seasons on the team, one ineligible for his transfer, the other ineligible for grades. But the good news is, he made it though 11 years of football without a significant injury. No surgeries, no limps, no lasting issues. Now, he's actually working on dropping weight down from 350 to about 270 (that's his goal).
Old 02-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Get him a job working with pouring cement, he'll go back to school the next semester.
I would be totally cool with this, we'll see what happens.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #25
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Or start his own concrete company. How close is he to getting his degree? You need to keep on his arse to finish it. If he takes a break it will be hard to get motivated again and if he waits too long he will have to pass tests to get pass the classes he already has done (which wont happen if he sat out a few years). This can lead to taking classes twice along with requiring new classes since the degree requirements can change.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote