The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
ozomulsion
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The ladies man.
Default Would any of the football minds explain what's special about a JDR gameplan?

Kinda like when we had Nolan, and we knew that free man would be coming from somewhere we didn't expext, and smash the QB. The kind of thing we've come to not expect from several of our past DC's.
ozomulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

It's a two gap 4-3 scheme where both DTs line up in front of the OGs, and the ends are just outside of the Tackles outside shoulder. It's a very straight up approach to attacking the offense with less overload philosophy, though it does allow for variable tactics. The Sam is responsible for the TE, either as a blocker or a receiver, and the MLB controls the A gap. If the TE stays in to block, the Sam rushes the passer i.e. Von Miller (though I think this might be a better position for DJ or Tarvathian if DJ is suspended). Denver's lack of depth at the NT position acctally fits this scheme better than the over we played last year, and allows the DTs more head on matches.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
ozomulsion
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The ladies man.

Thanks DL. I was hoping for a D that would be a little more intricate than that. I kinda like some over load blitz schemes.

Not many people seem to know much about the JDR scheme. Does he use very press coverage very often, mainly off, or mix it up?

We know Champ doesn't press, but I sure do hope they move him around a little bit.
ozomulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wish we still had nolan, IMO,we're better suited for a 3-4.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
It's a two gap 4-3 scheme where both DTs line up in front of the OGs, and the ends are just outside of the Tackles outside shoulder. It's a very straight up approach to attacking the offense with less overload philosophy, though it does allow for variable tactics. The Sam is responsible for the TE, either as a blocker or a receiver, and the MLB controls the A gap. If the TE stays in to block, the Sam rushes the passer i.e. Von Miller (though I think this might be a better position for DJ or Tarvathian if DJ is suspended). Denver's lack of depth at the NT position acctally fits this scheme better than the over we played last year, and allows the DTs more head on matches.
Actually Del Rio never played a 2 gap scheme. He always played an attacking 1 gap scheme. Yes he did have to big slob DT's in Henderson and Stroud but they did play 1 gap.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozomulsion View Post
Thanks DL. I was hoping for a D that would be a little more intricate than that. I kinda like some over load blitz schemes.

Not many people seem to know much about the JDR scheme. Does he use very press coverage very often, mainly off, or mix it up?

We know Champ doesn't press, but I sure do hope they move him around a little bit.
if you live by the blitz you die against the blitz by the better QB's, manning being the prime example..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Actually Del Rio never played a 2 gap scheme. He always played an attacking 1 gap scheme. Yes he did have to big slob DT's in Henderson and Stroud but they did play 1 gap.
Thats what I was just about to say. Fox and jdr prefer their defense to play 1 gap.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
NorCalBronco7

Del Rio and Fox perfer one gap schemes. They want to create pressure with as little rushers as possible (which is why the 335 and similar sets show up on third down).

Although its called by many as an attacking scheme, its at the heart a "bend but dont break" defense.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
I wish we still had nolan, IMO,we're better suited for a 3-4.
Exactly. We are an NT away from a killer 3-4.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
BUT we will not go down that road again with Elway and Fox in charge..

SO time to move on.. and It really would be one killer NT and another damned good one for rotational relief.. otherwise your screwed at Mile High
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozomulsion View Post
Kinda like when we had Nolan, and we knew that free man would be coming from somewhere we didn't expext, and smash the QB. The kind of thing we've come to not expect from several of our past DC's.
his novel use of blitzing unicorns makes it kinda special, right?

Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
Bmore Manning

Quote:
That's not true sir. Del Rio requested two NTs for Ray Lewis in Baltimore. Goose and Sam Adams. In the beginning in JAX he had Stroud and Henderson. Both had two gap NTs from both DTs. He evolved in JAX to accommodate for the changing passing league and used a gap shooter.

I think even though Denver is going to stay in the 4-3, they have perfect personnel for the 3-4 minus the NT. Maybe we will see some 3-4 looks.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
That's not true sir. Del Rio requested two NTs for Ray Lewis in Baltimore. Goose and Sam Adams. In the beginning in JAX he had Stroud and Henderson. Both had two gap NTs from both DTs. He evolved in JAX to accommodate for the changing passing league and used a gap shooter.

I think even though Denver is going to stay in the 4-3, they have perfect personnel for the 3-4 minus the NT. Maybe we will see some 3-4 looks.
You mean when he was LB coach for the ratbirds?
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
I've read numerous places that JDR used a two gap as his base set, and remains one of the only coaches in the NFL to do so. The information I read could be wrong, or in the case of another posters response outdated. From what I've seen watching the Jaguars (which isn't very often) I saw multiple looks including some two gaping, and assumed the analysis I was reading was correct. I'll have to watch some Jags games and get caught up.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Ok, I've watched a little bit of the highlights from the Saints Jaguars game (Jags D gave up 500 yards of offense in this game), and started watching the whole Broncos Jaguars game from 2010. Your right the Jaguars do use a lot of unbalanced fronts, but they do 2 gap. Another interesting not JDRs defenses use a 3-3 Nickle front.

Last edited by DivineLegion; 05-20-2012 at 12:03 AM..
Old 05-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
No way. The team way better suited to 4-3. Not enough inside linebackers for a 3-4. You need 3 really good ones. Also Miller IMO, although mentioned as a great fit for a 3-4 isn't super versatile yet. Hes just as good rushing the passer from a 4-3 as he would be in a 3-4 standing up more. Doom may be better in a 3-4. DJ williams useless in a 3-4. He can't play outside in a 3-4, and his inside block shedding skills leave a lot to be desired. He's a space player, not an inside player.

Our dends are a little too small for a 3-4 also IMO. Ayers a 4-3 end. Only Warren at DE really fits.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think it's more like we a are a stud middle linebacker away from a killer 4-3. Put someone like Al Wilson on this defense and it would take off. Right now we blame the inside dline, but really our linebackers have stunk at being physical in the hole. Rbs, Fbs, all block them IMO. A guy like Wilson gets into the holes just a tad faster. Just being further into the hole when the backer takes on the lead blocker makes a huge difference. It screws up the olines flow, it makes RB have less angles to the other holes.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #18
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
No way. The team way better suited to 4-3. Not enough inside linebackers for a 3-4. You need 3 really good ones. Also Miller IMO, although mentioned as a great fit for a 3-4 isn't super versatile yet. Hes just as good rushing the passer from a 4-3 as he would be in a 3-4 standing up more. Doom may be better in a 3-4. DJ williams useless in a 3-4. He can't play outside in a 3-4, and his inside block shedding skills leave a lot to be desired. He's a space player, not an inside player.

Our dends are a little too small for a 3-4 also IMO. Ayers a 4-3 end. Only Warren at DE really fits.
1. Both Warren and Wolfe would be great 3-4 DE's
2. Dumervil and Miller OLB's (probably 15 sacks each)
3. DJ and Ayers ILB's
4. Need an NT (no matter what front we have)

I fully realize that as long as Fox is the Head Coach, the Broncos will be running a 4-3.

Quote:
I think it's more like we a are a stud middle linebacker away from a killer 4-3. Put someone like Al Wilson on this defense and it would take off.
I agree.

Last edited by pricejj; 05-20-2012 at 01:31 AM..
Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
1. Both Warren and Wolfe would be great 3-4 DE's
2. Dumervil and Miller OLB's (probably 15 sacks each)
3. DJ and Ayers ILB's
4. Need an NT (no matter what front we have)

I fully realize that as long as Fox is the Head Coach, the Broncos will be running a 4-3.

I agree.
Sorry but when i read Ayers at linebacker its hard for me to take you seriously. Was that a mistake? Most likely in a 3-4, with good players, Ayers get lets go, DJ is gone. Not saying some of the guys couldnt play in a 3-4, i am saying that your statement we are a NT away from a great 3-4 isn't right.

Put a stud MLB and it would be a better 4-3, then a NT would make your 3-4.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #20
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Sorry but when i read Ayers at linebacker its hard for me to take you seriously. Was that a mistake? Most likely in a 3-4, with good players, Ayers get lets go, DJ is gone. Not saying some of the guys couldnt play in a 3-4, i am saying that your statement we are a NT away from a great 3-4 isn't right.

Put a stud MLB and it would be a better 4-3, then a NT would make your 3-4.
Yeah, Ayers was a bit of a stretch...
Old 05-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #21
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
You mean when he was LB coach for the ratbirds?
This is correct, I didn't call him the Ravens DC, in fact on this site I corrected someone who called him the Ravens S&C coach. He requested 2 NTs in a two gap scheme to protect a much smaller and dare I say undersized Ray Lewis. It was more if a running league at the time. He took that same scheme to JAX.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #22
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
I've read numerous places that JDR used a two gap as his base set, and remains one of the only coaches in the NFL to do so. The information I read could be wrong, or in the case of another posters response outdated. From what I've seen watching the Jaguars (which isn't very often) I saw multiple looks including some two gaping, and assumed the analysis I was reading was correct. I'll have to watch some Jags games and get caught up.
Yes I posted that on here when I first joined, and linked the article. Del Rio used to two gap as he took that with him from Baltimore. He did evolve in Jacksonville to a one gap UT, but like any good coach, he adapted to the NFL evolving.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #23
lolcopter

Agree with cutthemdown
Old 05-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #24
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Yes I posted that on here when I first joined, and linked the article. Del Rio used to two gap as he took that with him from Baltimore. He did evolve in Jacksonville to a one gap UT, but like any good coach, he adapted to the NFL evolving.
You posted one article that was more of a blog. Can you post them again?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #25
Bmore Manning

Quote:
You posted one article that was more of a blog. Can you post them again?
Ravens
http://docs.docstoc.com/pdf/262256/f...143b3ee86a.pdf

Jags
http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/foo..._have_new_look