The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default Portable powered speaker suggestions (BOSE soundlink currently)

Good evening maners.

Today, mid BBQ, we decided to go pick up a set of wireless speakers to use in the backyard, later on camping trips, etc...something portable to play music.

While at Best Buy, I picked up this little guy: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/.../index_new.jsp

It's a Bose Soundlink system. VERY small, bluetooth streaming capable, rechargeable battery w/ 8 hour playback on moderate volume, price tag of $300.

It pumped out some pretty impressive sound for it's size...reproduction on both ends of the spectrum was decent. Low end wasn't spectacular, high end was a LITTLE muddled at full volume, but overall, pretty nice sound. Bluetooth connectivity leaves a little to be desired (I can only walk about ten feet away before the streaming audio starts chopping up). Extremely easy to use, very portable, stylish, solid build quality.

This is my first venture into small, portable, powered speakers, so I'm asking all of you audiophiles out there your opinions. Has anyone used this particular system before? Any recommendations on another system that's in this same price range (less than $300) with better sound?

Options I'm looking for:

Streaming audio (bluetooth connectivity)
3.5 mm jack
Accurate, LOUD sound reproduction
Rechargeable battery

I'm quite impressed with the Bose setup, but was looking for something a bit louder. I have 30 days to decide whether or not I keep this bad boy, so I was wondering what else you all have used that you'd recommend? This is the first "impulse" electronic device I've bought..I'm usually the guy who researches the holy living piss out of something before he buys it.

Thanks
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Oh, and it doesn't NEED to have a 30 pin connector, I hardly ever use an ipod, hence the bluetooth.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

thats funny because I am looking for the same thing. I currently have a cheap $40 one like yours. I was looking at upgrading to the bose one you have, but dont have the money now. I guess you want something even louder. Me too. And a longer bluetooth range. Mine is about 15-20 yards, so a little bigger. I heard the brookstone one at the store, but didnt get to crank it. The guy there said it was loud but i know he was giving me a sales pitch. Here it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Blue-Liv...83984115052427
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

I bought this little speaker for my MP3 player (you can chain them together) and they also have a Bluetooth model (chainable as well). These are small - 3 inch by 3 inch, the top opens up for more bass. Surprisingly good sound. I own just one of the plug-ins, so I don't know how much better they are linked together or how well the Bluetooth works.

I listen to mine in and around the house, and yesterday I had it in the garage while I waxed the wife's car, and it's plenty loud enough for that - easily hear it clearly over the electric buffer I was using. Considering you can buy 4 of them for about half the price of the Bose system and chain them together (with the Bluetooth, you might be able to have all 4 in different areas for surrounding sound), it might be worth taking a look at.

Last edited by ColoradoDarin; 04-02-2012 at 07:21 AM..
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
gotfredson
Solid Starter

Jawbone.com

Just got the black one. Sounds great too.
gotfredson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfredson View Post
Jawbone.com

Just got the black one. Sounds great too.
We not fall for your Chinese tricks!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Thanks for the suggestions guys ...I'm going to see if I can find them somewhere and do a comparison.

Went back to a difderent best buy last night....there's a Logitech and Samsung that both sounded really nice, and for half the price. The Beats by Dre sounds the best still, but its another hundo AND its pretty bulky/ doesn't stream audio. Anyone else have any more suggestions?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Depends on how much of an audiophile you are, but BOSE isn't looked at fondly in the Audio obsessed community (and that's putting it lightly).

It also depends on how "all-in-one" you want to get. The best quality based option is always going to be purchasing an airport express and hooking it up to a quality speaker setup. This is really the only way to get great wireless audio, IMO, if you are deadset on battery powered solutions, then I don't know of any great options.

Personally I would take the airport express and hook it up to a set of Audio monitors with a built in DAC like the Behringer MS40 .

However, you'd have to carry two pieces of hardware, and your still limited to the maximum size that you can put up with (with respect to the speaker setup).

Last edited by Willynowei; 04-03-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
Depends on how much of an audiophile you are, but BOSE isn't looked at fondly in the Audio obsessed community (and that's putting it lightly).

It also depends on how "all-in-one" you want to get. The best quality based option is always going to be purchasing an airport express and hooking it up to a quality speaker setup. This is really the only way to get great wireless audio, IMO, if you are deadset on battery powered solutions, then I don't know of any great options.

Personally I would take the airport express and hook it up to a set of Audio monitors with a built in DAC like the Behringer MS40 .

However, you'd have to carry two pieces of hardware, and your still limited to the maximum size that you can put up with (with respect to the speaker setup).
Link doesn't work
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:

Honestly, I'm not a true audiophile per se, but I am fairly picky when it comes to sound quality. The setup you recommended would be fantastic, but as you'd mentioned I AM deadset on something that can be used on battery power alone (ie camping trips, in a park, etc).

I'd really like an all in one setup that doesn't muddle at full volume, and who's volume can really crank!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

you paid $300 for this?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

For the soundlink? Yes. It's a decent value, but I was expecting a bit more punch for the money.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
Honestly, I'm not a true audiophile per se, but I am fairly picky when it comes to sound quality. The setup you recommended would be fantastic, but as you'd mentioned I AM deadset on something that can be used on battery power alone (ie camping trips, in a park, etc).

I'd really like an all in one setup that doesn't muddle at full volume, and who's volume can really crank!
Well when i was looking at streaming music through the home I considered some of the options from sonos. I do not know how well they compare with the other brands, but I believe they get the highest reviews from the mainstream sites like CNET. They make speakers that stream music from room to room, i don't know how well they'd work in a park, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could be used in a similar function to the bose player you got.

You'd have to look through their catalog to see if anything suits your needs specifically.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Well when i was looking at streaming music through the home I considered some of the options from sonos. I do not know how well they compare with the other brands, but I believe they get the highest reviews from the mainstream sites like CNET. They make speakers that stream music from room to room, i don't know how well they'd work in a park, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could be used in a similar function to the bose player you got.

You'd have to look through their catalog to see if anything suits your needs specifically.
thanks again for the tip...if I ever setup an in house wireless system, that's probably going to be it. Unfortunately, not so much for portable use Still need a power source for the speakers.

BUT, wanted to give everyone a brief update....

Pretty happy with the soundlink right now. Get nothing but compliments, and take it EVERYWHERE, from work to pregame at softball to business meetings for presentations and of course camping. While I still think the sound could be louder, when I actually stream lossless music vs some compressed crap, it really shines. The whole streaming pandora wherever I am is a big selling point too.

Overall, I'd say it's worth the money. Well built, great sound (no perceivable distortion at max volume which is nice), VERY easy to use, and battery life is great.

Thumbs up.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I want to get something for my TV...that can also play Ipods. OM wizards, conjure me a solution.

Right nah.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
Brewer
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Talk about "not looked on fondly" audio equipment and then you recommend Behringer? That's funny right there...
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Brewer
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I want to get something for my TV...that can also play Ipods. OM wizards, conjure me a solution.

Right nah.

QSC K series, K8, K10, K12 and KSub.
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote