The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which draft would you like better?
A 21 50.00%
B 3 7.14%
C 2 4.76%
D 16 38.10%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
KevinJames
DT

Default Pick a draft. I got 4 Draft Weekend scenarios lined up, pick the one that you would like the best.

So here is 4 to pick from. Which would be more ideal for you as a fan?

DRAFT A
1st - Jerel Worthy DT, Michigan St.
2nd - Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
3rd - Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
4th - Philip Blake, C, Baylor
4th - Keenan Robinson, LB, Texas
5th - Chris Rainey, KR/RB/WR, Florida
6th - Cliff Harris, CB/PR, Oregon

DRAFT B
1st - Either of the 3 potential late first round backs Lamar Miller | Doug Martin | David Wilson
2nd - Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
3rd - Dwight Bentley, CB, Louisiana-Lafayette
4th - Marcus Forston, DT, Miami
5th - B.J. Coleman, QB, UT-Chattanooga
6th - Ryan Van Bergen, DL, Michigan

DRAFT C
1st - Either of the 3 first round corners Stephon Gilmore | Dre Kirkpatrick | Janoris Jenkins
3rd - Isaiah Pead, RB/KR, Cincinnati
4th - DaJohn Harris, DT, USC
4th - Coty Sensabaugh, CB, Clemson
5th - Lucas Nix, G, Pittsburgh
6th - David Molk, C, Michigan

DRAFT D
1st - Devon Still, DT, Penn St.
2nd - LaMichael James, RB/KR, Oregon
3rd - Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
4th - Nigel Bradham, ILB, Florida State
4th - Senio Kelemete, G, Washington
5th - Derek Wolfe, DT, Cincinnati
6th - Devon Wylie, PR/WR, Fresno St.

In this situation the only top DTs left in the first round are Still and Worthy (Cox and everyone else is gone)

Last edited by KevinJames; 03-31-2012 at 07:52 AM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Bmore Manning

It really depends who is available @25. But I like many of ur players but would have to blend drafts.

If the FO is hell bent on a DT with the first pick I would prefer a trade down maybe with New England for their two second round picks..

2. Brandon Thompson DT
2. Doug Martin RB
2. Alameda Ta Amu/ Josh Chapman NT
3. Nick Toon WR
4. George Iloka S
4. Nigel Bradham WLB
5. Best Available
6. Best Available
Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

C or D

Worthy should not be taken in the first, and drafting DTs just to draft them is not a good idea at all

If Jenkins falls to us we should take him
likewise Still would be a great pick
He would fit a need and would also be the BPA

I wouldnt spend a 2nd on LeMichael James

Not sure why everyone keeps thinking Brandon Thompson will fall to our 2nd, he is prolly the 3rd best DT in this draft

But if for some miracle he did he would be a fantastic selection for us as well

I like Hayward and Johnson as CB options, would be good value in the 3rd
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
It really depends who is available @25. But I like many of ur players but would have to blend drafts.

If the FO is hell bent on a DT with the first pick I would prefer a trade down maybe with New England for their two second round picks..

2. Brandon Thompson DT
2. Doug Martin RB
3. Nick Toon WR
4. George Iloka S
4. Nigel Bradham WLB
5. Best Available
6. Best Available
Yep, trade down options are likely with the Pats, or Rams, or Philly who have multiple 2nd round picks. I also would not be surprised to see the Broncos spend a higher type pick on a WR either.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
C or D

Worthy should not be taken in the first, and drafting DTs just to draft them is not a good idea at all

If Jenkins falls to us we should take him
likewise Still would be a great pick
He would fit a need and would also be the BPA

I wouldnt spend a 2nd on LeMichael James

Not sure why everyone keeps thinking Brandon Thompson will fall to our 2nd, he is prolly the 3rd best DT in this draft

But if for some miracle he did he would be a fantastic selection for us as well

I like Hayward and Johnson as CB options, would be good value in the 3rd
I think Thompson is the best fit for Denver, I think he's there in the second after the trade down.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Yep, trade down options are likely with the Pats, or Rams, or Philly who have multiple 2nd round picks. I also would not be surprised to see the Broncos spend a higher type pick on a WR either.
I think a trade down is more and more what I want. Cause I prefer Thompson at DT and if his value is the second, then trade down and pick up two or three picks! And I would take a WR early if they add two to three picks.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't like D, lemicheal james isn't worth any pick by denver. moreno is proof as to why not to draft him.
I would go with A.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think a trade down is more and more what I want. Cause I prefer Thompson at DT and if his value is the second, then trade down and pick up two or three picks! And I would take a WR early if they add two to three picks.
I'd be happy if they somehow got both Reyes and Thompson at DT and a WR like Randle or Sanu with their top 3 picks. Trading down could make that possible.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Shananahan

Quote:
I like many of ur players but would have to blend drafts.
Yeah.

1st - Devon Still, DT, Penn St.
3rd - Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
4th - Nigel Bradham, ILB, Florida State
5th - Chris Rainey, KR/RB/WR, Florida
6th - Don't care, but don't want Cliff Harris

I suspect they'll be looking at a RB in the first four rounds and I like James a lot, but ideally it would be after the 2nd. I voted A.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I think we either trade up for Brockers if he falls into the 18-19 range. If he gets selected I think we trade back, picking up an extra 2nd. With the first pick in the 2nd we take Thompson. With our original 2nd we take Osweiler or Foles.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

If we traded back and ended up with a high 2nd I think Brandon Thompson would be a good pick for us

He is Broderick Bunkley with an explosive first step

I doubt we would trade back if Still, Jenoris Jenkins, or Kirpatrick were on the board though
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
doonwise
Seasoned Veteran

Question: has anyone tried to forecast which vet DTs on other teams will be cut after the draft or after training camp? I recall last year everyone being very concerned about our DT situation and the draft went in an entirely different direction.
doonwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
doonwise
Seasoned Veteran

One other note: Out of 13 first round picks, John Fox has spent ZERO on DTs. Out of 11 second round picks he has spent ONE on a DT. Out of 14 third round picks, he has spent TWO on DTs. Overall, in the first three rounds, out of 38 picks, three have been DTs.
Info from this link: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=96410

For Jack Del Rio, out of 26 1st through 3rd round picks, he chose a DT THREE times.
http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../jax/draft.htm

Anyway, I know this information doesn't factor in the desire of the GM and owner, and may actually be a high frequency (I didn't compare it to other positional choices). Just thought it was interesting.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonwise View Post
One other note: Out of 13 first round picks, John Fox has spent ZERO on DTs. Out of 11 second round picks he has spent ONE on a DT. Out of 14 third round picks, he has spent TWO on DTs. Overall, in the first three rounds, out of 38 picks, three have been DTs.

For Jack Del Rio, out of 26 1st through 3rd round picks, he chose a DT THREE times.

Anyway, I know this information doesn't factor in the desire of the GM and owner, and may actually be a high frequency (I didn't compare it to other positional choices). Just thought it was interesting.
People don't want to hear it, but I keep saying they aren't going to draft a DT. This bit of history reaffirms it. When combined with the reality that drafting and developing DT's is the opposite of the "win now" philosophy we are adopting with Manning, the possibility seems incredibly remote.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonwise View Post

True, though Carolina drafted Jenkins in the 2nd round the year before Fox got there and drafted Peppers in Fox's first year as coach, so the need to draft a DT early was not as important to them obviously. The Jags already had both Henderson and Stroud there as young DT's drafted highly when Del Rio took over as coach, so they didn't have as much of a need to draft DT's that high.

If the Broncos don't draft at least one DT high in this draft with that position as sad as it is, then they probably never will.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:

2. Brandon Thompson DT
2. Doug Martin RB
3. Nick Toon WR
4. George Iloka S
4. Nigel Bradham WLB
5. Best Available
6. Best Available
Don't the Pats have two firsts themselves this year? Why would they want a third 1st round pick? If anything, it is more likely they trade their first to a QB needy team that wants to jump up and draft a guy like Osweiler or Weeden.

I think that would be our best bet as well. Find a team that is willing to give us a Tebow like deal (2nd, 3rd, and 4th) for #25. Or a late 2nd and a 2013 first.

Of the draft scenarios. Lots of names on each of the lists that I like. I would have to do a blend as well though.

1. Still
2. Thompson
3. Turbin/James
4. Sensabaugh
5. Rainey/Speedy Stewart
6. Coleman
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

For the excitement factor and taking Peyton Manning into consideration (want to give him weapons)... I would think the Broncos would be interested in any of the following:

Kendall Wright- Similar sized receiver to guys like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. Improving on his breaks (in and out) and offers a premier talent for the slot.

Lamar Miller- Speed kills. The Broncos will maintain a different blocking scheme and running plays which will look a bit different from the customary Manning Stretch run plays from Indy.

David Wilson- Better all around back. Good speed, good hands, good moves.

LaMichael James- Speed... Could also create matchup issues in the slot. If the Broncos are committed to giving Manning a lot of options on offense, don't be surprised to hear his name called in the 2nd round by us.

Ryan Broyles- If he doesn't get hurt this year you're probably hearing about him as the 2nd best receiver in this draft. Very similar to Wright but I think he is a bit more polished with his routes already. Broyles would be a steal anywhere in the 3-5 rounds.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I'd rather have Chris Polk than James. Or Ronnie Hillman for cheaper.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Don't the Pats have two firsts themselves this year? Why would they want a third 1st round pick? If anything, it is more likely they trade their first to a QB needy team that wants to jump up and draft a guy like Osweiler or Weeden.

I think that would be our best bet as well. Find a team that is willing to give us a Tebow like deal (2nd, 3rd, and 4th) for #25. Or a late 2nd and a 2013 first.

Of the draft scenarios. Lots of names on each of the lists that I like. I would have to do a blend as well though.

1. Still
2. Thompson
3. Turbin/James
4. Sensabaugh
5. Rainey/Speedy Stewart
6. Coleman
They could package 2 of them and move up to get a player they like.. Maybe Morris Claiborne? And still have a first to get another top player.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
doonwise
Seasoned Veteran

Awesome draft information about probabilities of drafting 5 year starters: http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/Pl...20Analysis.pdf

Found from this post http://broncotalk.net/2012/03/33085/...urgency-index/
Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
Bmore Manning

If they trade for one or sign one, there isn't as much pressure on them to reach in the draft. Outside of Cox or Poe I wouldn't take a DT @25. I like Thompson in the second, so I'm thinking the FO should get Hill with the fourth round pick or get some other young but proven player.