The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default Gym rats - HIIT and sleep?

About three weeks ago I started adding HIIT on to my workouts as a means to trim down for the summer (target is 7% body fat down from 17). Ever since then I've had a lot of difficulty falling asleep, whereas normally I conk out immediately. I can't help but assume there's some correlation. Naturally I'm more tired than usual after the workouts so it's odd that I'd have difficulty turning off at night.

Anyone ever had a similar experience?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

7 percent down from 17? jeez
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
7 percent down from 17? jeez
Hey, one can dream. This is just to sustain for ~ 3 months. Working pretty hard on it.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

Not that hard to drop body fat if you are dedicated. I've dropped from 23% to 16% in 3 weeks. My goal is 6-8%.
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Not that hard to drop body fat if you are dedicated. I've dropped from 23% to 16% in 3 weeks. My goal is 6-8%.
yeah, but getting to 7 is low. Im about 9 and i cant see where else i can even drop (not that im trying)
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
About three weeks ago I started adding HIIT on to my workouts as a means to trim down for the summer (target is 7% body fat down from 17). Ever since then I've had a lot of difficulty falling asleep, whereas normally I conk out immediately. I can't help but assume there's some correlation. Naturally I'm more tired than usual after the workouts so it's odd that I'd have difficulty turning off at night.

Guarantee you're way underestimating those bf % numbers...

To answer your question, the sleep issue is much more likely a result of a diet change than HIIT.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Play hockey, the ultimate HIIT training out there. You will slapping plenty good afterward.

Are you using any workout sups like amped, NOX, buzzsaw? Or taking creatine. Or doing this later at night?
underrated29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
yeah, but getting to 7 is low. Im about 9 and i cant see where else i can even drop (not that im trying)
Difference between 6 and 9 is wanting the ripped look where your veins are bulging out all through your arms.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
Play hockey, the ultimate HIIT training out there. You will slapping plenty good afterward.

Are you using any workout sups like amped, NOX, buzzsaw? Or taking creatine. Or doing this later at night?
I'd recommend either Jack3d, C4, 1MR or NO Explode. C4 also makes a creatine free formula if you're looking to use a buffered creatine like Kre-alkylne.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

sleep? What's that? I sleep on average 25 hours a week. Usually 1 or 2 nights a week without sleep at all. Not by choice, wish I could sleep more but the ole thinker just keeps on rollin, working out or not. Has nothing to do with how tired your body is, your mind just has alot going on right now.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:

I usually workout in the evening...
Not HIIT, but moderate enough. running the treadmill for .5 hour, doing lots of cardio and light weight lifting to maintain the body toned...
I do other exercises after the treadmill session, and I haven't had any issues sleeping...

Are you taking any supplements?
If you are, then don't take it late afternoon...
You may want to take it 3 hours earlier than usual, and go from there.
Most of all fat-burning supplements are not recommended to be taken more than twice a day, preferrably in the early am and at noon the second one at the latest.
That stuff stays in your system long enough, you don't need to take any before working out, unless you workout in the morning...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Guarantee you're way underestimating those bf % numbers...

To answer your question, the sleep issue is much more likely a result of a diet change than HIIT.
I used this guy (actually got my buddy whose a trainer to show me how to do it). I'm a naturally skinny dude.

Would eating less or more make it harder to sleep? I'm definitely eating less but not at 1600 yet which the program I'm on suggests (Visual Impact Muscle Building - a lot of people think this thing is bs - I'm seeing results).

HIIT is a fun challenge. I hated doing it on the treadmill at first but now I'm getting used to it. I'm doing 30 seconds all out with 60 resting and I'm hoping to get down to 30-30 in three weeks time. To be honest 14 on the treadmill doesn't quite feel like it's all out (it's very close, I'm not the fastest runner) but I get knackered quickly.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
MileHighMagic
Ho-Slayer

SAUCED

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dave Logan

Are you eating right before you hit the sack? If so, try to just have a shake after your workout and don't eat anything two hours before bed.
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMagic View Post
Are you eating right before you hit the sack? If so, try to just have a shake after your workout and don't eat anything two hours before bed.
No, actually I used to do that when I was trying to gain weight (some casein for overnight) but I've actually cut this out.

It's very possible it's unrelated. Was just curious since I didn't find anything on the usual sites. I also can't find a half decent fitness forum outside of bodybuilding.com (not the look I'm after).
Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
Drunken.Broncoholic

Maybe if you tan then do laundry you'll be tired.

GTL
Old 03-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I used this guy (actually got my buddy whose a trainer to show me how to do it). I'm a naturally skinny dude.

Would eating less or more make it harder to sleep? I'm definitely eating less but not at 1600 yet which the program I'm on suggests (Visual Impact Muscle Building - a lot of people think this thing is bs - I'm seeing results).

HIIT is a fun challenge. I hated doing it on the treadmill at first but now I'm getting used to it. I'm doing 30 seconds all out with 60 resting and I'm hoping to get down to 30-30 in three weeks time. To be honest 14 on the treadmill doesn't quite feel like it's all out (it's very close, I'm not the fastest runner) but I get knackered quickly.
Calipers are far from accurate. I'm just saying what you think is 7% is probably more like 12.

Too much of a deficit or too much of a surplus can make it difficult to sleep, but its GENERALLY most commonly associated with carb depletion. Did you cut carbs way back?

Either way, my suggestion would be to not change a thing and just pop a couple benedryl an hour before bed to make sleeping easier
Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
No, actually I used to do that when I was trying to gain weight (some casein for overnight) but I've actually cut this out.

It's very possible it's unrelated. Was just curious since I didn't find anything on the usual sites. I also can't find a half decent fitness forum outside of bodybuilding.com (not the look I'm after).

They have every "look"
Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Calipers are far from accurate. I'm just saying what you think is 7% is probably more like 12.
Too much of a deficit or too much of a surplus can make it difficult to sleep, but its GENERALLY most commonly associated with carb depletion. Did you cut carbs way back?

Either way, my suggestion would be to not change a thing and just pop a couple benedryl an hour before bed to make sleeping easier
Thats what i was getting at. 7 percent is dang low. I know a guy who runs triathalons and sometimes, during training, he gets down to 4-5 percent and his skin is like paper.

Agree with benedryl..or like tylonol simply sleep...which is essentially the same thing
Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
May I ask what you were doing to do this?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #20
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:

They have every "look"
I will give it another look.

Interesting info here. I haven't really cut back on the carbs. I've been eating less saturated fat and less sodium, that's for sure.

If I can get to 12 by the second week of May (beach trip) I will be ecstatic.

Thanks all.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
LGM
Perennial Pro-bowler

Potentate of Overweight

Lots of bro science out there.

Eating before bed doesn't really effect most people; in fact, I have a cup of cottage cheese or protein shake with peanut butter right before bed.

Working out before bed can also effect sleep patterns, though I've always passed out more easily after a good run at night.

As Rev said, it very well could be diet; depends on sugar/stimulants taken after 6pm, including drug interactions (weight loss drugs, etc.)

If it continues, you might try something like melatonin to help you get to sleep.
LGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #22
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
May I ask what you were doing to do this?
Counting water loss toward bf...

Quote:
I will give it another look.

Interesting info here. I haven't really cut back on the carbs. I've been eating less saturated fat and less sodium, that's for sure.

If I can get to 12 by the second week of May (beach trip) I will be ecstatic.

Thanks all.
I just shed 50 lbs in 12 weeks. You can do it if you work hard enough.

Look into intermittent fasting (leangains.com), eat clean at a 500-1000 cal deficit, do carb depleted cardio, and lift heavy.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

If anyone has an informed opinion about supplements and if a person should be taking them I would be appreciative to hear about it.

I change up my workouts quite a bit, but a general summary is:

3-4 Weight Sessions a week (full body)
2-3 longer medium intensity cardio sessions a week (rotate between long steep hikes, alpine touring, road bike, 4-5 mile runs and swimming) sometimes the same day as a weight session.
2 HIIT type workouts (usually the same day as a weight session)

I don't take any supplements at this time. Diet consists of a fruit smoothy with whey protein added for breakfast, salad with protein or similar for lunch and a portion of lean protein plus a green veggie for dinner. Nuts and grannola are my typical snacks.

I stayed on this type of diet and work out routine last year for about 8 months and lost 22 pounds, feel off the routine (still worked out, but not as much and ate junk, junk, junk) about 4 months and gained 12 back and have now been on it for about a month and lost 4 so far, but feel better about maintaining this time year round as I have adjusted a bit.

Anyway, any recommended supplements and why would be appreciated.

Sorry to thread jack.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post

There is so much I want to say right now.... (biting tongue)
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #25
LGM
Perennial Pro-bowler

Potentate of Overweight

The only supplement I'd routinely suggest is Creatine Monohydrate, and a good Multi.

Other than that, it really just depends on your overall goal (mass, endurance, etc.)
LGM is offline   Reply With Quote