The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Black96WS6
Perennial Pro-bowler

Default Cold Hard Football Facts article on Manning and Rivers

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com..._AFC_West.html

Quote:
The “Where Will Peyton Go?”soap opera is now over. And with the future Hall-of-Fame QB taking his talents to the Rocky Mountains, the football “pundits,” and a few Denver players are beside themselves with orgasmic joy at the thought of what a healthy Manning can do for a Broncos team that came out of nowhere to win the AFC West in 2011...
Anyone seen this yet?
Black96WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

I have been saying this from day 1. Don't like the fact he is playing San Diego 2 times a year.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If I remember correctly the counter-argument to all these glaring issues and pitfalls is simply, "But... he's Peyton Manning."
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Obviously this writer needs to go back for another round of "all this team needed was Peyton Manning" treatment.

winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
KO5K

Manning is River's b****.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Except for the age difference (and coming off the neck injury thing), I think it's safe to call these two QBs pretty equal. That's not a knock on either.

It IS true, however, that Rivers has had the better success when they've gone head-to-head. But even if this 'trend' were to continue, the Broncos will still win considerably more games with Manning at QB than would be the case with Orton, Tebow, or a slew of other QBs.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Are people forgetting how absolutely **** Rivers was last year?
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
KO5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Maybe it's the same people forgetting Manning didn't play at all last year due to injury...
Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
BroncoBeavis

SD is the best team in the league at playing to their competition. They could've beat the Packers last year. They thumped the Ravens.

Then lost to the the Broncs, Jets, Cheaps and Fade.

But nobody can look past 'em.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
bombay
Ring of Famer

Remember when San Diego was good?
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
extralife
Ring of Famer

there's a difference between 14-2 Chargers teams in 2006 and what they're going to put onto the field next year.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Cass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Remember when San Diego was good?
They are probably the biggest waste of talent that I've seen in the past six or seven years. With the roster they've had in that time, they should have at least played in a couple of Super Bowls. And now they seem to be declining and Rivers looked like he actually regressed last year.

I'm sure it's nice to say that you "own" Peyton Manning but what's the point if you can't even make it out of the division come playoff time?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

The Broncos defense didn't really allow too many points last year until the end of the season when we were banged up and our lack of depth showed. I don't see why they would be worse than the Colts SB winning teams (I would choose our pass rush of Von Doom over Freeney and co.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black96WS6 View Post
hard to argue with the numbers. The Bronco best beef up their defense and rely more on the running game. If they do these two things, I very much doubt this dominance by Rivers in head-to-head match ups continue.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I love how you can cherry pick a stat and build an article around it.

In 2008, the Colts rushed for 80 yards per game, the Chargers for 108.
In 2009, the Colts rushed for 80 yards per game, the Chargers for 89.
In 2010, the Colts rushed for 93 yards per game, the Chargers for 113.

So the Chargers had the better run game, the better pass game (in theory) and yet the Colts won 13, 14 and 10 games in those 3 seasons respectively while the Chargers won 8, 13 and 9.

In fact in every single one of those seasons the Colts won more games than the Chargers, and don't think defense was the difference, in 2008 the Colts defense was 50 points better than the Chargers over the whole year, but in 2009 only 13 total points separated the two and in 2010 the Chargers defense was quite a bit better than the Colts.

Fact is that Rivers is a good QB on a good team, but when he has to carry the burden he crumbles, as witnessed by his 20 interceptions in 2011. Manning has consistently carried a team with dwindling talent to 10+ wins.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post

So the Chargers had the better run game, the better pass game (in theory) and yet the Colts won 13, 14 and 10 games in those 3 seasons respectively while the Chargers won 8, 13 and 9.

In fact in every single one of those seasons the Colts won more games than the Chargers, and don't think defense was the difference, in 2008 the Colts defense was 50 points better than the Chargers over the whole year, but in 2009 only 13 total points separated the two and in 2010 the Chargers defense was quite a bit better than the Colts.

Fact is that Rivers is a good QB on a good team, but when he has to carry the burden he crumbles, as witnessed by his 20 interceptions in 2011. Manning has consistently carried a team with dwindling talent to 10+ wins.
I think you missed the point of the article.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Agamemnon

Rivers' stats do not mean he is better than Manning. Manning is far better at actually winning in the regular season, while both kind of suck in the playoffs. Seriously, after years of Charger failure with Rivers putting up gaudy stats, no one gets that the guy is an overrated turd?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

I am glad that Peton is playing for the Broncos. The chargers have beaten the Colts a lot.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
SD is the best team in the league at playing to their competition. They could've beat the Packers last year. They thumped the Ravens.

Then lost to the the Broncs, Jets, Cheaps and Fade.

But nobody can look past 'em.
San Diego is the greatest (insert losing record here) team in NFL history!
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post

Fact is that Rivers is a good QB on a good team, but when he has to carry the burden he crumbles, as witnessed by his 20 interceptions in 2011.
Manning has consistently carried a team with dwindling talent to 10+ wins.
Righttt....lets not forget in the 2010 season in which Vince Jackson only played in 5 games(and one was for only 1 series), Floyd was hurt half the season, Legadu Naanee missed 8 games and Gates missed a lot of games and they had to sign Patrick Crayton, Kelly Washington and force undrafted rookie Seyi Arijotutu to play, they had the worst ST's play in history, and used a NFL record tying 74 different players that year. Rivers...carried that team and set a record by completing passes to 17 different players.

Yes they still only finished 8-8 but ST's blunders lost them three games. It wasnt Rivers. He was absolutely brilliant. Yes he threw 20 INT's last season which was a career high but still otherwise had good numbers. An off year for him is still much better than many QB's.

He has carried the team plenty over the years. Just didnt have his usual season last year but the 2nd half of last season he was pretty good:

Rivers games 1-8...4-4...193...305...63.3...2,469...8.10...11...14..... 81.4
Rivers games 9-16..4-4...173...277...62.5...2,155...7.78...19....6....1 00.4

Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-25-2012 at 04:34 PM..
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #21
Bacchus

The Colts did lose the the Chargers, but that is because the Colts could not run the ball. Denver isn't the Colts. I think Manning will do just fine aainst a Charger team that has had Indianapolis' number.

Denver isn't Indy.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Really, anyone who believes that Phillip Rivers is better than Peyton Manning....has no clue about football.

Manning has had great stats. But, stats aren't what make Peyton Manning. Managing the game is what makes Peyton Manning one of, if not the best ever.

I happen to think Rivers is a great QB too. Rivers has played exceptionally over a long period of time. Yet, his teams have choked when it mattered most. I dont exclude him from the conversation of great QB's, but he's not in Marino's league...and certainly not Manning's either.

Silly analysis if you ask me.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #23
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Really, anyone who believes that Phillip Rivers is better than Peyton Manning....has no clue about football.

Manning has had great stats. But, stats aren't what make Peyton Manning. Managing the game is what makes Peyton Manning one of, if not the best ever.

I happen to think Rivers is a great QB too. Rivers has played exceptionally over a long period of time. Yet, his teams have choked when it mattered most. I dont exclude him from the conversation of great QB's, but he's not in Marino's league...and certainly not Manning's either.

Silly analysis if you ask me.
I tend to agree, but what is your definition of choking? If you mean playoff games, it's not like Manning has a great record either. 9-10, with a 3-6 record outside of the dome. Rivers has 3 playoff wins, two of them against Manning. Manning does have one Super Bowl win, but it's not like he's a postseason god.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #24
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
I tend to agree, but what is your definition of choking? If you mean playoff games, it's not like Manning has a great record either. 9-10, with a 3-6 record outside of the dome. Rivers has 3 playoff wins, two of them against Manning. Manning does have one Super Bowl win, but it's not like he's a postseason god.
I guess the best way I could describe it is this:

Take John Elway away from those 80's and early 90's team....and the Broncos would struggle to win many if anygames.

Take Peyton Manning a way from the Colts...and well, we saw the results.

Take Rivers a way from the Chargers...and, well, I don't think it would be all that different. That team has been stacked with talent. And, with all that Talent, Rivers hasn't been able to get them to the Super Bowl.

That's very telling to me. The Colts and the Broncos Pre-1995 were talent deprived, yet their QB always seemed to find a way to win 10-11 games a year on average.

Big Difference in my book...
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
To be fair he was ****ing stellar to close out the season. Like one of the best in the NFL good.

Final 6 games he was 12 TD's to 3 INT with 4 games at 123+ QBR.

Only sacked twice in that span too.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote