The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Manning won't come in here and take off from where he left off 3 years ago. Not gonna happen. Sorry, but it's not gonna happen. He wasn't the kickass guy people like to think of him anyway, except for reg season.
Attachment 30505

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 10-18-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #27
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

There's no doubt Manning will put his stamp on the offense but I'll bet anything you won't see the Broncos passing the ball nearly as much as the Colts offense did. Elway knows all to well how important a solid running game is and I think he's convinced Manning that is going to be his best friend as he enters the home run stretch of his career.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #28
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
but, but we have Joe Mays
Like many here, I was hoping he'd be the backup.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #29
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If Irving can't show he's ready, then it's back to Mays again. I'm not too excited of that possibility.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #30
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

man... this is going to be a fun season as a Bronco fan. I am really looking forward to it.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #31
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
man... this is going to be a fun season as a Bronco fan. I am really looking forward to it.
yeah, if we can get past our Manning hate.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #32
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post
The "Peyton Manning Offense" has evolved a lot of his career.

Offhand, I would mark the huddle evolution points as:
- (start of career) regular QB who huddles except under 2 minutes
- started stretching the 2 minute no-huddle into longer stretches when needed
- no huddle all the time

similarly, the play calling has evolved....I only know what the articles said at the time. but it went something like this:
- regular. Tom Moore was calling the plays
- Moore would call in 3 plays, and allow Peyton to choose among them
- Moore would call in an "idea", and Peyton would work with that. Possibly it would be scrapped at the line if necessary
- Moore stopped calling plays, and instead would call in whatever information Peyton and he agreed was most useful. Peyton was basically running his own show.

Actually, I would be a little surprised if the Manning/McCoy agreement was straight "do whatever you think works" right out of the gate. One of Manning's best qualities is that he's been flexible over the years. McCoy and Manning need to come up with a new system, a Denver Broncos system, and a Manning-McCoy system.

Honestly, it could be just about anything and I wouldn't be surprised. I do expect it to be a damn good show though. As fans, we might need a little patience too. Might take a few games to find a rhythm.
The problem with the model is that most of the skill players on offense were also a part of that evolution over a 5-6 year period.. We don't have the time to evolve on offense if we're going to have success within Manning's window.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #33
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
There's no doubt Manning will put his stamp on the offense but I'll bet anything you won't see the Broncos passing the ball nearly as much as the Colts offense did. Elway knows all to well how important a solid running game is and I think he's convinced Manning that is going to be his best friend as he enters the home run stretch of his career.
like this idea but we better get willis some help..............
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #34
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
The problem with the model is that most of the skill players on offense were also a part of that evolution over a 5-6 year period.. We don't have the time to evolve on offense if we're going to have success within Manning's window.
Colts were 13-3 Mannings's 2nd season.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #35
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It will certainly be better than anything McCoy would be able to manage. I'll say that much.
Why are you here?
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #36
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Running backs came and went. Wayne and Harrison were long term, but I think less important in the evolution of the Colts offense. The hardest part I thought was the O line, which is why I was surprised to see Elway let Saturday get away to GB.

I agree with you, but I don't think it has to evolve in the same way it did for the Colts (meaning back to ground 0). There's a lot of experience to build upon. It'll be a different process altogether, as it should be. No reason to recreate the Colts here.

We sit here discussing, but I almost guarantee that process has already begun. Manning was previously working out with old friends at Duke. But I would bet that has already changed, that he's reached out to the Broncos WR group, and that they are already throwing passes together.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #37
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Nah. Not really. They added new guys all the time. New WR's flourished in the slot, Tamme played better than Dallas 2 years ago, New RB's moved in and out of the lineup.

The thing about INDY, is those skill position guys were Not super-talented guys outside of Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James. There are a Lot of just solid guys like Dallas, Reggie, Collie, Garcon and others who rolled in and played well in a real simple system.

The one thing the experienced guys could do is change route setups on the fly. They could extend a comeback 2 steps to get a deep CB to flip his hips and turn as they shortened his cushion and then throw the ball (ala Darrent Williams). Then, they would adjust a Sluggo to that new depth and score the Winning TD as the CB bit on the underneath read with no help overtop and getting pummeled on outs, comebacks and slants all game.

Still can not believe Manning threw that pick to Porter in the SB when they had him so set up for that same move with Wayne on third down.

That is the adjustability that he has at the LOS. That versus, a two route half field zone read. I'll take the former please
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #38
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
Colts were 13-3 Mannings's 2nd season.
and his 1st?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #39
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Nah. Not really. They added new guys all the time. New WR's flourished in the slot, Tamme played better than Dallas 2 years ago, New RB's moved in and out of the lineup.

The thing about INDY, is those skill position guys were Not super-talented guys outside of Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James. There are a Lot of just solid guys like Dallas, Reggie, Collie, Garcon and others who rolled in and played well in a real simple system.

The one thing the experienced guys could do is change route setups on the fly. They could extend a comeback 2 steps to get a deep CB to flip his hips and turn as they shortened his cushion and then throw the ball (ala Darrent Williams). Then, they would adjust a Sluggo to that new depth and score the Winning TD as the CB bit on the underneath read with no help overtop and getting pummeled on outs, comebacks and slants all game.

Still can not believe Manning threw that pick to Porter in the SB when they had him so set up for that same move with Wayne on third down.

That is the adjustability that he has at the LOS. That versus, a two route half field zone read. I'll take the former please
Great take. However, there is really a call for immediate success here. Bowlen has to pony up a guaranteed $40M+ at the end of the season.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #40
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
**** do I miss Al Wilson.

He was our Peyton Manning of Defense. Downhill since.

Wish we could get him in to coach up and mentor Irving for the off-preseason.
I doubt it. I would say the Broncos relationship with Wilson probably a tad soured.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #41
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
and his 1st?
You said 5-6 years. It only took one.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #42
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
You said 5-6 years. It only took one.
You really think Bowlen is going to pony up $40M if we bomb next year?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #43
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
You really think Bowlen is going to pony up $40M if we bomb next year?
So Manning's a rookie now. Damn that sucks.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #44
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The whole thing with INDY in the Dungy era and then Polians mess, was we will out play you, not outscheme you. It allowed them to get just guys in the draft, without any real talent, and plug and play with simple scheme's and just say here we come, try and beat us.

The problem is, without Manning's control over the offense, to get in and out of the right play, the offense could not cover its role last year. And, the defense had NO secondary to cover let alone play the run good enough, even with its "starters" the last 2 years.

They fell apart at the seams with a combination of putting all their eggs in one injury away screwed basket and poor attention to personnel on defense the last 4 years. They never replaced Sanders or their CB's appropriately and it made their pass rush less effective as teams could 3 and 5 step them to death.

DEN does not have that problem right now. They are actually much better suited to how Manning wants to play, and better on the back end suprisingly.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #45
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
this. this. this!

why don't people understand that what Manning built in Indy takes time to implement and perfect. he and his OL and his receivers need to work together to put his system in place and it cannot be done in 1 year and it cannot be done with rookies. this is why i was concerned about this signing and this is why the FO had better get its act together and start bringing in players who can pick the system up quickly so Manning can start practicing with them and getting the timing down. we have a 2-3 year window and the clock is ticking. we cannot put the other pieces into place via the draft. rookies generally don't walk off the college campus and into an NFL locker room ready to be starters. that's why the rebuild is over. we will need to sign FAs and make trades and that's why we will have no real draft this year (picks traded away) if the FO really intends to win now.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #46
Ingame
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
What I noticed from his great 2010 season
QB ratings against the west-
KC- 65.0
SD- 59.8
Oak- 76.9
Ingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #47
CEH
Ring of Famer

I can see our offense at 25.5+ ppg.If our defense can get to 21 ppg there is no reason not to go 12-4. Point differential of +5 would be huge.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #48
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yeah that's why we saw the Kyle Orton Broncs totally poundin the rock weeks 1-5
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #49
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Chargers own Manning.

Yours Truly,
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #50
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
and his 1st?
What was Indy's record the year before Manning took over? What was Denver's record last year? Do you see a difference here?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote