The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #101
SimonFletcher73
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Goose Gonsoulin

I'm surprised Peyton stayed in the AFC, let alone the AFC West. Due to his overwhelming fear of the San Diego Chargers.
SimonFletcher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #102
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Wrong...he is 4-5 losing the last 5 of 6, has a 75.8 rating against us(3rd worst of all the teams) and has more INT's than TD's (16 TD's- 18 INT's...2nd most of all teams only New England has more pics against him w/24) and the last game we beat Indy 36-14 and Peyton had 4 INT's.
How can you lose 5 of the last 6 and have a record of 4 and 5? SD Chargers math?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #103
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
OK, but it didnt limit his possessions. He had just as many as we did. We just scored more often. He threw 4 INT's the last time we played him and in the playofffs in 2008, he didnt throw a INT and had 42 passes and we just played better is all.

Thats two games, what about the other three? One of them was when they were 13-0 and we went to Indy and beat them. We still had Brees then.
Um, that isn't what I meant and besides, in any game, teams have the same number of possession unless there are returns of some kind for touchdowns. I mean limiting the number of possessions so instead of your own usual number, you have less than normal when the other team is able to run successfully most of the game and take time off the clock. Having the same number of possessions as the Chargers is besides the point. If the Colts say usually had on average 12 possessions a game, but maybe only had 8-9 against the Chargers because the Chargers were able to run the ball and take time off the clock, that can make a difference.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #104
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Both Mannings struggle against Chargers.
Let's see what Manning can do now.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #105
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
How can you lose 5 of the last 6 and have a record of 4 and 5? SD Chargers math?
I would take that to mean that he was 3-0 before our team was good. Throw in 5 loses in the last 6 games you have a 4-5 record.

What math are you using?

And look, im not saying he own him. Just that he hasnt played well against us and really he doesnt play that great against 3-4 defenses.
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #106
Broncolt

Dont worry Peytons not gonna have a problem whooping the chargers with the broncos!!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #107
SimonFletcher73
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Goose Gonsoulin

SimonFletcher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #108
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Actually Chargers have had quite a few good teams. Lets face it the fact the Chargers have failed to advance to the Superbowl under Rivers is because they choke. All a good record vs Indy says is that they didn't choke vs Indy.

Manning, as good as he is, will still need to settle into Denver. I look for his 2nd yr to be much better then this yr.

But Chargers? Really the window in the AFC was open for them but the always follow up a big win with a choke once playoffs start.

Charger fans should wonder what the hell. How does a team with all the talent Chargers have, best qb in division, finish friggin 8-8 last yr?

I realize the front 7 not what it used to be but cmon?

There are rumblings that Rivers is undercoached. Is Turner to easy going on him?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #109
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

IMO Manning won't change our in division stuff that much. You watch we will still split most of the in division series. The difference will be the games will be more opened up. Chargers will be coming to town with a gameplan geared to score more, because they know Manning will put up more points then Tebow did.

Its good for the whole division for all the teams to improve. Time to make AFC west a feared division again, instead of a laughing stock.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #110
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Um, that isn't what I meant and besides, in any game, teams have the same number of possession unless there are returns of some kind for touchdowns. I mean limiting the number of possessions so instead of your own usual number, you have less than normal when the other team is able to run successfully most of the game and take time off the clock. Having the same number of possessions as the Chargers is besides the point. If the Colts say usually had on average 12 possessions a game, but maybe only had 8-9 against the Chargers because the Chargers were able to run the ball and take time off the clock, that can make a difference.
Heres the bottom line. They were 12-4, we were 8-8 and we beat em. They were 13-0, undeafeated and we we to Indy and beat em.

You know you could look this stuff up yourself instead of guessing. It isnt hard.

Here is the 2008 playoff game and the Colts had 1 more possession than us before OT and we won the toss and went in and scored

Here is the 2007 playoff game where Billy Volek took it to him for a loss on the last drive. We had 12 possessions, they had 10.

Here is the 2010 regular season game. Colts had 1 more possession than we had.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #111
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Actually Chargers have had quite a few good teams. Lets face it the fact the Chargers have failed to advance to the Superbowl under Rivers is because they choke. All a good record vs Indy says is that they didn't choke vs Indy.

Manning, as good as he is, will still need to settle into Denver. I look for his 2nd yr to be much better then this yr.

But Chargers? Really the window in the AFC was open for them but the always follow up a big win with a choke once playoffs start.

Charger fans should wonder what the hell. How does a team with all the talent Chargers have, best qb in division, finish friggin 8-8 last yr?

I realize the front 7 not what it used to be but cmon?

There are rumblings that Rivers is undercoached. Is Turner to easy going on him?
I blame Norv!!..
And yes they retained him this year when it was said he was a goner and i was really down that they kept him. But, he has one more shot. If they fail again to make the playoffs this year, it is said both he and AJ are gone. Thats why AJ is playing in FA'cy this year.

Rivers isnt undercoached. Norv made him a better QB but he just didnt have a good season overall in the middle of it and was forcing things and made bad decisions. Even had the first, 3 INT game of his career. But, he bounced back the last 5 games and played like he usually does.
I dont think ive ever seen him fumble a snap like he did at KC to lose a game for us. That was another gift to Denver Just wasnt a good year and the DC was awful.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #112
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Heres the bottom line. They were 12-4, we were 8-8 and we beat em. They were 13-0, undeafeated and we we to Indy and beat em.

You know you could look this stuff up yourself instead of guessing. It isnt hard.

Here is the 2008 playoff game and the Colts had 1 more possession than us before OT and we won the toss and went in and scored

Here is the 2007 playoff game where Billy Volek took it to him for a loss on the last drive. We had 12 possessions, they had 10.

Why do I need to look that up? I simply stated the Chargers ability to run the ball against the Colts helped them to beat them, which is true. Even Rivers stated that recently. The rest, I guess you are arguing with yourself or something and in reality, what any of that has to do with the here and now, is anybody's guess.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #113
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Why do I need to look that up? I simply stated the Chargers ability to run the ball against the Colts helped them to beat them, which is true. Even Rivers stated that recently. The rest, I guess you are arguing with yourself or something and in reality, what any of that has to do with the here and now, is anybody's guess.
No, you said it limited Mannings possessions. I agree it helped us win but it didnt limit his possessions. He just didnt do as well with them. He has thrown 18 INT's against us. That doesnt help either.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #114
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Plus our coach actually got his team to a SuperBowl once.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #115
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:

You are living in the past buddy. Peyton is no longer a Colt and the Chargers aren't what they were a few years. In case you forgot, most of those wins you mention we're during a four year run where the Chargers owned the AFC West. That run is over. You added some pieces this offseason but did they make the team better or just replace some of the losses? Meachum for Jackson. Gaither for McNeill, etc. I could make the argument that neither of those are as good as the player they replaced. Tolbert is gone, Dielman is gone, Castillo is a Free Agent, etc. like I said, some nice Free Agency additions but the Chargers have lost a lot of key pieces these last few seasons.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #116
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
You are living in the past buddy. Peyton is no longer a Colt and the Chargers aren't what they were a few years. In case you forgot, most of those wins you mention we're during a four year run where the Chargers owned the AFC West. That run is over. You added some pieces this offseason but did they make the team better or just replace some of the losses? Meachum for Jackson. Gaither for McNeill, etc. I could make the argument that neither of those are as good as the player they replaced. Tolbert is gone, Dielman is gone, Castillo is a Free Agent, etc. like I said, some nice Free Agency additions but the Chargers have lost a lot of key pieces these last few seasons.
Lol at the "we own them" theory. Teams change- nobody has anyone's number except the Broncos against the Patriots...oh wait...
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #117
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

AFC West foes are all coming up with reasons why it's actually good for them that Denver landed Manning...

Charger fans say Chargers own Manning ignoring the fact that Chargers havent been good in over 2yrs and Manning isnt on the colts anymore...

Chief Fans claim Romeo Crennel owns Manning ignoring the fact that Crennell doesn't cosch the defense of the Patriots anymore...

Raider fans don't even have a logic, they are just trying to make themselves feel better...

never underestimate the impressive power of chronic denial...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #118
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Lol at the "we own them" theory. Teams change- nobody has anyone's number except the Broncos against the Patriots...oh wait...
But, as was pointed out, things like a weakness to the 3-4 can be legitimate points. For quite some time, SDs LBs were some of the best 3-4 rushers there were. It would make sense that alignment would cause problems with Manning who is so good pre-snap.

So the 3-4 angle is legit IF SD gets the rush linebackers like they had for so long.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #119
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Your right, Peyton is no longer a Colt. Our last win against him was just in 2010 and we were only 6-5 so no, not all those wins were way back when. In 2010, we handed the Colts their worst home loss in many years since Peyton has been there.
Now, he is 36, hasnt played in a year, is learning a new offense and new players and has two fused vertebrae in his neck and COULD POSSIBLY be one good hit away from being out for a while if not for good.

I never said we owned him and pointed that out if some of you actually would read the posts. Im just saying we have had good success against him and he doesnt usually play that well against a 3-4 defense and our new DC was with us as a LB coach when we game planned for him with Wade Phillips and Rivera so he knows what worked.
I just like our chances against him and dont fear him at all. No reason to since we have beat him more than he has beat us.

On the other side of that, Carson Palmer who i dont think is a very good QB plays lights out against us.

As for who we lost and who we signed...IMO Gaither is a big upgrade to McNeill. McNeill hasnt been that great since his 2nd season so im glad we replaced him with Gaither who last season with us, was awesome. Didnt allow a sack or even a pressure on Rivers. Thats why they released McNeill and resigned Gaither.

Yes we lost VJ, but Meachem is a good player who was good when he played with Brees and will be productive with Rivers as well. He isnt 6'5", but he is 6'2" and is much faster than Jackson is. I expect him to get 60-70 receptions just as Jackson did for us.
Rivers spreads the ball around so one guy isnt going to have 90 catches. Would of liked to have Jackson back but not with a 13 mil cap hit and i think Meachem is a good replacement who will do well for us. He is a former first round pick who has produced.

Tolbert was an OK player so i dont know why you even mention him. He will be easily replaced IMO but he was a very good ST's player.

Castillo may still come back but he has been hurt so much lately that he isnt the same player.
Dielman is a big loss but honestly when he was out and McNeill was out, the OL as a whole was very good down the stretch. Was it a co-incidence? Maybe, and im not going to say Green is as good as Dielman at all but as a group they played well and im sure we will get another OG somehow. Either by a trade or in the draft.

Im not real high on OLB Jarrett Johnson as a pass rusher but he is very good at everything else and does provide some pressure. He helps free up the other OLB's to attack the QB.
Im sure we will address another OLB in the draft. I expect the draft to be pretty much all defense asside from maybe a OG.

Im thinking OLB will be our first pick so could be one of Upshaw, Perry, Merciles. We're in good possition for one of them. Or, maybe they draft DeCastro but i doubt it. Wouldnt mind Fleener either and would love Michael Floyd but defense has to be the focus and im sure it will be.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-25-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Old 03-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #120
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Your right, Peyton is no longer a Colt. Our last win against him was just in 2010 and we were only 6-5 so no, not all those wins were way back when. In 2010, we handed the Colts their worst home loss in many years since Peyton has been there.
Now, he is 36, hasnt played in a year, is learning a new offense and new players and has two fused vertebrae in his neck and COULD POSSIBLY be one good hit away from being out for a while if not for good.

I never said we owned him and pointed that out if some of you actually would read the posts. Im just saying we have had good success against him and he doesnt usually play that well against a 3-4 defense and our new DC was with us as a LB coach when we game planned for him with Wade Phillips and Rivera so he knows what worked.
I just like our chances against him and dont fear him at all. No reason to since we have beat him more than he has beat us.

On the other side of that, Carson Palmer who i dont think is a very good QB plays lights out against us.

As for who we lost and who we signed...IMO Gaither is a big upgrade to McNeill. McNeill hasnt been that great since his 2nd season so im glad we replaced him with Gaither who last season with us, was awesome. Didnt allow a sack or even a pressure on Rivers. Thats why they released McNeill and resigned Gaither.

Yes we lost VJ, but Meachem is a good player who was good when he played with Brees and will be productive with Rivers as well. He isnt 6'5", but he is 6'2" and is much faster than Jackson is. I expect him to get 60-70 receptions just as Jackson did for us.
Rivers spreads the ball around so one guy isnt going to have 90 catches. Would of liked to have Jackson back but not with a 13 mil cap hit and i think Meachem is a good replacement who will do well for us. He is a former first round pick who has produced.

Tolbert was an OK player so i dont know why you even mention him. He will be easily replaced IMO but he was a very good ST's player.

Castillo may still come back but he has been hurt so much lately that he isnt the same player.
Dielman is a big loss but honestly when he was out and McNeill was out, the OL as a whole was very good down the stretch. Was it a co-incidence? Maybe, and im not going to say Green is as good as Dielman at all but as a group they played well and im sure we will get another OG somehow. Either by a trade or in the draft.

Im not real high on OLB Jarrett Johnson as a pass rusher but he is very good at everything else and does provide some pressure. He helps free up the other OLB's to attack the QB.
Im sure we will address another OLB in the draft. I expect the draft to be pretty much all defense asside from maybe a OG.

Im thinking OLB will be our first pick so could be one of Upshaw, Perry, Merciles. We're in good possition for one of them. Or, maybe they draft DeCastro but i doubt it. Wouldnt mind Fleener either and would love Michael Floyd but defense has to be the focus and im sure it will be.
Wrong on the one hit could be it for Peyton. Try doing some reading before posting ignorance. A fused neck vertebrae poses no more danger from a hit than one that isn't fused. He has no more risk of being injured by a hit to the spine than Philip Rivers. The only risk at this point is the nerve fully regenerating and him gaining full arm strength. He is already well on his way.

The rest of your post is homer ism. Meachem is not a replacement for Jackson. He was a 3/4 receiver in New Orleans and V Jack would easily be a 1/2. Colston and V Jack would be a close comparison. He will now be lining up against Darrel Revis, Champ, etc. instead of lining up against nickel and dime backs. He's good but V Jack has unique talents and that's why he got twice as much $$. Like I said, the Chargers have filled some holes but I'm not sure they are drastically better.

It's all moot. We split last season. The Broncos are going to be a drastically different team next year. Tebow to Manning changes the game. The analysts who don't have a horse in his race are currently favoring the Broncos.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...power-rankings

Tolbert scored 19 TDs the last 2 seasons. Matthews is fragile. I brought it up because he has produced. I suppose next you'll say losing Sproles is no big deal either. Funny how that works. You over value Meachem etc and under value all the players the Chargers have lost. Reality is the Chargers are not the team of 3 years ago.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #121
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
No, you said it limited Mannings possessions. I agree it helped us win but it didnt limit his possessions. He just didnt do as well with them. He has thrown 18 INT's against us. That doesnt help either.
Wow, that's great. Manning has a ring. And Rivers?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #122
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Wrong on the one hit could be it for Peyton. Try doing some reading before posting ignorance. A fused neck vertebrae poses no more danger from a hit than one that isn't fused. He has no more risk of being injured by a hit to the spine than Philip Rivers. The only risk at this point is the nerve fully regenerating and him gaining full arm strength. He is already well on his way.

The rest of your post is homer ism. Meachem is not a replacement for Jackson. He was a 3/4 receiver in New Orleans and V Jack would easily be a 1/2. Colston and V Jack would be a close comparison. He will now be lining up against Darrel Revis, Champ, etc. instead of lining up against nickel and dime backs. He's good but V Jack has unique talents and that's why he got twice as much $$. Like I said, the Chargers have filled some holes but I'm not sure they are drastically better.

It's all moot. We split last season. The Broncos are going to be a drastically different team next year. Tebow to Manning changes the game. The analysts who don't have a horse in his race are currently favoring the Broncos.

Tolbert scored 19 TDs the last 2 seasons. Matthews is fragile. I brought it up because he has produced. I suppose next you'll say losing Sproles is no big deal either. Funny how that works. You over value Meachem etc and under value all the players the Chargers have lost. Reality is the Chargers are not the team of 3 years ago.
Tolbert was the "goal line back" but I hated it. He really should have had so many more TDs for a big man but he's not a punishing type of back for a man his size. Mathews really brings as much power as he does but has much more ability to break it outside in goal line situations. The times he was given goal line opportunities, he performed well, so I'm also one that doesn't have a lot of concerns about losing Tobert in terms of scoring.

You are correct though, Mathews is fragile. He has fumbling issues (as does Tolbert). And he has pass protection issues. The fumbling and pass protection problems can be corrected. I don't know if he'll ever overcome the injury bug though.

They do need to find a capable backup though. That is a huge concern. I'd love for them to go after J Stewart if he gets released/traded but it probably won't happen because of the salary reasons. They'll probably draft a RB with a late round pick.

I think everyone is writing off Meachem way too early. He did okay in the Saints offense but looking at his skill set, you can make a great argument that the offense wasn't a great fit for him. On paper, the Charger offense is tailored perfectly for him. He's going to be doing exactly what Jackson did here and that's run those fly patterns and he can fly faster than Jackson. The size difference isn't an issue because remember, Jackson still doesn't use his size to his maximum advantage. It's the one thing that drove me nuts about him. He doesn't attack the ball at the highest point like Malcom Floyd does so swell.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #123
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Im no Dr. so how would i know. I was just speculating. Having a fused neck just dont sound like a good thing to me for a NFL QB. You just cant tell me that he will be the same with it regardless if it dont give him anymore risk. I glad it doesnt because as a fan and just being a human being id hate to see something bad happen to him.
You see, im not a hater of all players like many here are and wish injury to another player like ive seen here with Rivers.

Quote:
The rest of your post is homer ism. Meachem is not a replacement for Jackson. He was a 3/4 receiver in New Orleans and V Jack would easily be a 1/2. Colston and V Jack would be a close comparison.
Well like it or not, he is the replacement. Its either him or Floyd. You can say whatever you want about him because i wont say he is going to be just as good or not but i can tell you one thing, Jackson wont do in Tampa what he did here. He will produce but he wont have his usual 17-18 YPC ave there. Meachem most likely will whether or not who he goes against.

At this point ive never said Meachem will be just as good as Jackson but i think he can be a real good one for us and have the same numbers. No reason to think he cant. He had good numbers for the Saints even being their #3 and outproduced their #2 WR Deverly Henderson. They may have even switched back and forth, im not sure but he outproduced him rather easily.

All i can say is we will see how it goes but why would you disregard what Meachem will do yet pump up Thomas? He hasnt hasnt done anything great yet and hasnt done as well as Meachem has regardless of him being the #3. He filled in when there were injuries and he had just as many TD's in 2009 as Colston. We will just have to see but he has produced.
Quote:
He will now be lining up against Darrel Revis, Champ, etc. instead of lining up against nickel and dime backs. He's good but V Jack has unique talents and that's why he got twice as much $$. Like I said, the Chargers have filled some holes but I'm not sure they are drastically better.
He hasnt always lined up against nickel backs. All i can say is wait and see. IMO he is a better player right now than Thomas.
And Meachem asside, i absolutely think we got better with the other pickups we got. Gaither is a better LT than McNeill. McNeill is still out there as a FA. Maybe you guys can pick him up and i wouldnt care. He is pretty much done. Has that spinal stenosis and has had neck problems lately.

McClain is a far better FB than Hester is....who is also still out there.

Quote:

Who cares who they favor? They favored us last year too and everyone is going to favor Manning. Heres a link for you if you want to go that route.

Rivers, not Manning best in AFC West

Quote:
Refrigerator Perry could score a TD every game if you stick him in there at the GL every week. Does that make him a good RB? Tolbert was OK. Good ST's player and a guy with some decent hands out of the backfield. Thats about it. I was hoping we would get Michael Bush this year but it didnt happen. Its all good, we will find a replacement for Tolbert. Wont be hard.

Im not worried about Mathews. He was much better last season and played thru injuries and did miss two games. But, He had a 4.9 YPC and had 50 catches. He also seems to play very well against the Broncos

And im not undervaluing who we lost. VJ was a big loss but i think we got a guy who can be a real good player. We went 75% of 2010 without VJ and we did fine and didnt have a Meachem type player filling in and we were better in the RZ that year.
I happen to think Gaither is a much better player than McNeill. Why else is he still not signed? You tell me. The guy is damaged goods and hasnt been as good the past two or three years.

We arent the team we were in 2007 but i think this team is still good enough to win the division.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-25-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #124
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Wow, that's great. Manning has a ring. And Rivers?
Great comeback. Thats the typical comeback when you dont know what else to say. Well, Manning has a ring with Indy. Not the Broncos and we helped hold him to just one ring on two occasions.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #125
C00per

Tamme performed at a pro bowl level during 2010 when he replaced an injured Dallas Clark.

He wasn't quite Dallas, but he was Fort Worth.

Don't be surprised with a couple of wide receivers or a tight end, end up in the pro bowl.