The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer
 
Jesterhole's Avatar
 
Ridin' the McFailboat...

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,518
Default Manning contract details

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ning-contract/

"It’s a surprisingly simple deal, based on a review of the information and communications with a source having direct knowledge of the negotiation process. Manning gets an $18 million fully guaranteed base salary for 2012. Though he doesn’t get a signing bonus, he’ll receive $6 million of the $18 million base salary as an advance.

Then, if Manning is on the Broncos’ roster on the final day of the 2012 league year, his base salaries of $20 million in 2013 and $20 million in 2014 become fully guaranteed.

In other words, the Broncos can cut Manning at any point after Super Bowl XLVII and before the last day before the start of the 2013 league year and limit the contract to a one-year, $18 million investment. And so, just as the Colts faced a $28 million decision in March 2012, the Broncos will face a $40 million decision in March of 2013."
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,961
Default

if Manning is healthy is not a decision. and i think he'll be healthy and back to his previous form.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer
 
Jesterhole's Avatar
 
Ridin' the McFailboat...

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,518
Default

Interesting that there is no signing bonus, but a guarantee for only the first year. Lucky for us, the deal is as safe as we could have hoped for.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

That is one sweet contract for the Broncos.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
That is one sweet contract for the Broncos.
It can't be, EFX are clueless and have no idea how to run an NFL franchise.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Navy Broncos Fan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

So if he stays healthy and plays great this year, but gets hurts in pre season next year we get boned?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Broncos Fan View Post
So if he stays healthy and plays great this year, but gets hurts in pre season next year we get boned?
I believe the 'injury' clause goes into effect after the first season
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,523

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Hard not to be impressed. I would have guessed that we'd have gotten away with nothing less than a $30 million dollar first year.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
It can't be, EFX are clueless and have no idea how to run an NFL franchise.
Maybe it was printed on the pizza box and X happened to notice it and plagiarized it.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
I believe the 'injury' clause goes into effect after the first season
Yep appears so, it's an 18 million dollar roll of the dice.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,655

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

cut the bum, bring back Plummer
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City
 
ZachKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default

Way favorable for you guys.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
jerseyguy4
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I love the fact that the 1st year of this contract is its own thing...meaning not bonus based. This is big and Manning lived up to his word that he didn't want to bind teams in case his injury causes issues

But I am confused about the guarantee of years 2 and 3 together. He's putting himself in a position where he can be cut if there's any doubt about his future (whether it relates to the prior surgery or not). Is it not possible that EFX could see a hangnail or dandruff as potentially dangerous and cut him? If they split every contract year into its own entity, that would be less risk for Denver, and therefore less of a temptation to cut him for a fear of something unknown.

Am I missing something?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,523

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post
I love the fact that the 1st year of this contract is its own thing...meaning not bonus based. This is big and Manning lived up to his word that he didn't want to bind teams in case his injury causes issues

But I am confused about the guarantee of years 2 and 3 together. He's putting himself in a position where he can be cut if there's any doubt about his future (whether it relates to the prior surgery or not). Is it not possible that EFX could see a hangnail or dandruff as potentially dangerous and cut him? If they split every contract year into its own entity, that would be less risk for Denver, and therefore less of a temptation to cut him for a fear of something unknown.

Am I missing something?
Basically saying that he's a rental the first year, but once you hit the second year, you either take him or leave him. It's only fair for him to get security at that point if he's proven that he's indeed, back and healed.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Curious about what Tenn. offered.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

I think we got the John Elway deal.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is such a great deal based purely on the first year. If you're not keeping him for the other $40 million of the contract, what's the real upside? 'Renting' Manning for one year at $18 million would suck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing how this is such a great deal based purely on the first year. If you're not keeping him for the other $40 million of the contract, what's the real upside? 'Renting' Manning for one year at $18 million would suck.
takes a lot of the risk out for denver given the question marks.

basically pm is betting on himself being the same player. He could have gotten a way better deal from ten. with lots more guaranteed money.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #19
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I realize that it minimizes the risk, but it's still a lousy deal unless he plays at least the first three years. Completely revamping the offense around the guy, missing out on free agents to sign him, etc necessitates that he play more than a season to make it worth it.

I don't foresee him leaving after a year, but it's silly to see people talking about it in those terms.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #20
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I realize that it minimizes the risk, but it's still a lousy deal unless he plays at least the first three years. Completely revamping the offense around the guy, missing out on free agents to sign him, etc necessitates that he play more than a season to make it worth it.

I don't foresee him leaving after a year, but it's silly to see people talking about it in those terms.
If you don't think that is a good deal for denver what would be that PM would sign
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #21
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

You're not hearing me. The deal's fine with me and seems like fair market value (though I don't like '13 and '14 being guaranteed at the same time).

I'm saying it's stupid to suggest the deal is great merely because they can cut ties with him if he gets hurt or isn't on the team next year. Protected or not, it would be a failure of a move if that happened.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #22
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
You're not hearing me. The deal's fine with me and seems like fair market value (though I don't like '13 and '14 being guaranteed at the same time).

I'm saying it's stupid to suggest the deal is great merely because they can cut ties with him if he gets hurt or isn't on the team next year. Protected or not, it would be a failure of a move if that happened.

If that were the case than signing him in the first place would be the mistake not the contract.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #23
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I just don't get what's so special about being able to drop the guy after a year. Wouldn't that be the worst-case scenario?

"Good news, we can cut Manning for nothing! What a great contract!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #24
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,284

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Obviously if we had to cut Manning after a year it would be terrible.

I think the point is that it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad a disaster as it could have been if we had to offer him guaranteed money for 2013 and 2014, which I expected we probably would have to.

At least this way we can cut our losses and won't be hamstrung by it moving on.

It's a great sign that Manning was comfortable with this, means he must be very confident that he'll have recovered fully.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

I'd rather have the rumored $30M guaranteed format. At $18M guaranteed in year one, adding another $43M guaranteed after year two we're really putting a lot of weight on him in no way declining significantly in years 2 and 3. When he'll be 37 and 38.

Otherwise this is effectively a $61M guaranteed deal. Manning could have a pretty rough year and as long as there is hope he'd be better in 2013 we'll give him the $43M, as we no longer have another other options at QB.

If it was the $30M guaranteed up front at least we'd be a bit more agile in years 2 and 3 if something goes wrong then. This is a short term safety net in exchange for larger long term risk.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Denver Broncos