The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Default Manning contract details

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ning-contract/

"It’s a surprisingly simple deal, based on a review of the information and communications with a source having direct knowledge of the negotiation process. Manning gets an $18 million fully guaranteed base salary for 2012. Though he doesn’t get a signing bonus, he’ll receive $6 million of the $18 million base salary as an advance.

Then, if Manning is on the Broncos’ roster on the final day of the 2012 league year, his base salaries of $20 million in 2013 and $20 million in 2014 become fully guaranteed.

In other words, the Broncos can cut Manning at any point after Super Bowl XLVII and before the last day before the start of the 2013 league year and limit the contract to a one-year, $18 million investment. And so, just as the Colts faced a $28 million decision in March 2012, the Broncos will face a $40 million decision in March of 2013."
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

if Manning is healthy is not a decision. and i think he'll be healthy and back to his previous form.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Interesting that there is no signing bonus, but a guarantee for only the first year. Lucky for us, the deal is as safe as we could have hoped for.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

That is one sweet contract for the Broncos.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
That is one sweet contract for the Broncos.
It can't be, EFX are clueless and have no idea how to run an NFL franchise.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Navy Broncos Fan

So if he stays healthy and plays great this year, but gets hurts in pre season next year we get boned?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Broncos Fan View Post
So if he stays healthy and plays great this year, but gets hurts in pre season next year we get boned?
I believe the 'injury' clause goes into effect after the first season
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Hard not to be impressed. I would have guessed that we'd have gotten away with nothing less than a $30 million dollar first year.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
It can't be, EFX are clueless and have no idea how to run an NFL franchise.
Maybe it was printed on the pizza box and X happened to notice it and plagiarized it.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
I believe the 'injury' clause goes into effect after the first season
Yep appears so, it's an 18 million dollar roll of the dice.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

cut the bum, bring back Plummer
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Way favorable for you guys.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
jerseyguy4

I love the fact that the 1st year of this contract is its own thing...meaning not bonus based. This is big and Manning lived up to his word that he didn't want to bind teams in case his injury causes issues

But I am confused about the guarantee of years 2 and 3 together. He's putting himself in a position where he can be cut if there's any doubt about his future (whether it relates to the prior surgery or not). Is it not possible that EFX could see a hangnail or dandruff as potentially dangerous and cut him? If they split every contract year into its own entity, that would be less risk for Denver, and therefore less of a temptation to cut him for a fear of something unknown.

Am I missing something?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post
I love the fact that the 1st year of this contract is its own thing...meaning not bonus based. This is big and Manning lived up to his word that he didn't want to bind teams in case his injury causes issues

But I am confused about the guarantee of years 2 and 3 together. He's putting himself in a position where he can be cut if there's any doubt about his future (whether it relates to the prior surgery or not). Is it not possible that EFX could see a hangnail or dandruff as potentially dangerous and cut him? If they split every contract year into its own entity, that would be less risk for Denver, and therefore less of a temptation to cut him for a fear of something unknown.

Am I missing something?
Basically saying that he's a rental the first year, but once you hit the second year, you either take him or leave him. It's only fair for him to get security at that point if he's proven that he's indeed, back and healed.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Curious about what Tenn. offered.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I think we got the John Elway deal.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
Shananahan

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is such a great deal based purely on the first year. If you're not keeping him for the other $40 million of the contract, what's the real upside? 'Renting' Manning for one year at $18 million would suck.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing how this is such a great deal based purely on the first year. If you're not keeping him for the other $40 million of the contract, what's the real upside? 'Renting' Manning for one year at $18 million would suck.
takes a lot of the risk out for denver given the question marks.

basically pm is betting on himself being the same player. He could have gotten a way better deal from ten. with lots more guaranteed money.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #19
Shananahan

I realize that it minimizes the risk, but it's still a lousy deal unless he plays at least the first three years. Completely revamping the offense around the guy, missing out on free agents to sign him, etc necessitates that he play more than a season to make it worth it.

I don't foresee him leaving after a year, but it's silly to see people talking about it in those terms.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #20
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
I realize that it minimizes the risk, but it's still a lousy deal unless he plays at least the first three years. Completely revamping the offense around the guy, missing out on free agents to sign him, etc necessitates that he play more than a season to make it worth it.

I don't foresee him leaving after a year, but it's silly to see people talking about it in those terms.
If you don't think that is a good deal for denver what would be that PM would sign
Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #21
Shananahan

You're not hearing me. The deal's fine with me and seems like fair market value (though I don't like '13 and '14 being guaranteed at the same time).

I'm saying it's stupid to suggest the deal is great merely because they can cut ties with him if he gets hurt or isn't on the team next year. Protected or not, it would be a failure of a move if that happened.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #22
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
You're not hearing me. The deal's fine with me and seems like fair market value (though I don't like '13 and '14 being guaranteed at the same time).

I'm saying it's stupid to suggest the deal is great merely because they can cut ties with him if he gets hurt or isn't on the team next year. Protected or not, it would be a failure of a move if that happened.

If that were the case than signing him in the first place would be the mistake not the contract.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #23
Shananahan

I just don't get what's so special about being able to drop the guy after a year. Wouldn't that be the worst-case scenario?

"Good news, we can cut Manning for nothing! What a great contract!"
Old 03-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #24
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Obviously if we had to cut Manning after a year it would be terrible.

I think the point is that it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad a disaster as it could have been if we had to offer him guaranteed money for 2013 and 2014, which I expected we probably would have to.

At least this way we can cut our losses and won't be hamstrung by it moving on.

It's a great sign that Manning was comfortable with this, means he must be very confident that he'll have recovered fully.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

I'd rather have the rumored $30M guaranteed format. At $18M guaranteed in year one, adding another $43M guaranteed after year two we're really putting a lot of weight on him in no way declining significantly in years 2 and 3. When he'll be 37 and 38.

Otherwise this is effectively a $61M guaranteed deal. Manning could have a pretty rough year and as long as there is hope he'd be better in 2013 we'll give him the $43M, as we no longer have another other options at QB.

If it was the $30M guaranteed up front at least we'd be a bit more agile in years 2 and 3 if something goes wrong then. This is a short term safety net in exchange for larger long term risk.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote