The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,410
Default who are your 5 favorite NFL QBs?

not asking for who were the 5 best, just who are/were your 5 most favorite QBs to have played at this level.

for me, in no particular order,

Bert Jones, Baltimore Colts
Fran Tarkenton, Vikings
Boomer Esiason, Bengals/Jets/Cardinals
Steve Young, Bucs/49ers
Tim Tebow, Broncos/NY Jets

yes, i know, Elway is not on my list. he's not in my top 5.

- Bert Jones was the QB of my childhood favorites. a somewhat forgotten player today, he was very good when he was healthy and had it not been for injuries, he might have had a tremendous career.
- Tarkenton is another QB from my childhood. i always liked the Vikings as my only NFC team. he's one of the GOAT at the position and had he won those 3 SBs instead of losing them, most people would name him in the top 5 of alltime. he was just a gamer. and a scrambler. and i like that style of play.
- Boomer because he was a Terp.
- Steve Young because he played the game the way it should be played. and wasn't a giant douche off the field in an era when lots of elite NFL players were douches.
- Tebow because he's a gamer and i like the intangibles he has.

Unitas was just slightly before my time. Tebow pushes Elway and Staubach down to positions #6 and #7.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
hookemhess's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
yes, i know, Elway is not on my list. he's not in my top 5.
ಠ_ಠ
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemhess View Post
ಠ_ಠ
end of thread.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

You suck
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..
 
Jekyll15Hyde's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,774
Default

epic fail
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football
 
bfoflcommish's Avatar
 
GO..........BRONCOS

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mile High
Posts: 3,487

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater
Default

Elway
Young
Manning
MOntana

5 is hard there are qb's i liked to watch because they were good like Marino, Boomer. Moon, but there are also a couple I would throw on this list that were just "fun" to watch, like Cunningham, Culpepper and Mcnair
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
mkporter
Ring of Famer
 
mkporter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,675

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
yes, i know, Elway is not on my list. he's not in my top 5.

...

Tebow pushes Elway and Staubach down to positions #6 and #7.
Every now and then, I view the post of someone I have on ignore, and I almost always regret it. Wouldn't you know, it happened again.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
Bigloco
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Mine since I'm new here (only those that played in my lifetime):

1. The Iconoclast, Peyton Manning
2. John Elway
3. Bret Favre
4. Roger Staubach
5. Dan Fouts
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Bigloco
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
Elway
Young
Manning
MOntana

5 is hard there are qb's i liked to watch because they were good like Marino, Boomer. Moon, but there are also a couple I would throw on this list that were just "fun" to watch, like Cunningham, Culpepper and Mcnair
As an old school Vikings fan, I wanted to put Culpepper, but was too embarrassed. I actually loved the guy. Loved Marino too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,410
Default

you people are funny.

i have my reasons for not being a huge fan of Elway dating back to when he was drafted and refused to sign with the Baltimore Colts. that pretty much sealed the Colts fate in Baltimore. he did also lose 3 SBs in blowout fashion, and 1 other AFCCG. it wasn't until Terrell Davis came along that Elway finally won a Lombardi. but i remember alot of frustrating times watching Elway before those 2 SBs. i like him. i'm not saying he's not top 5 all time. i'm just saying that he's not one of my favorites to have ever played the position.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Every now and then, I view the post of someone I have on ignore, and I almost always regret it. Wouldn't you know, it happened again.
thanks for letting me know i'm on your ignore list. that makes me very proud. i'm reciprocating now. one day i hope to have everyone on ignore and for everyone to have me on ignore. on that day, this forum will become the most awesome forum ever because i will agree 100% with everything i read here.


Last edited by Gort; 03-22-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
hookemhess's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
you people are funny.

i have my reasons for not being a huge fan of Elway dating back to when he was drafted and refused to sign with the Baltimore Colts. that pretty much sealed the Colts fate in Baltimore. he did also lose 3 SBs in blowout fashion, and 1 other AFCCG. it wasn't until Terrell Davis came along that Elway finally won a Lombardi. but i remember alot of frustrating times watching Elway before those 2 SBs. i like him. i'm not saying he's not top 5 all time. i'm just saying that he's not one of my favorites to have ever played the position.
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
Elway
Young
Manning
MOntana

5 is hard there are qb's i liked to watch because they were good like Marino, Boomer. Moon, but there are also a couple I would throw on this list that were just "fun" to watch, like Cunningham, Culpepper and Mcnair
thanks. you understand what i was going for with this thread. we spend so much time bickering about who is the best of all time and who isn't based on somebody else's criteria, i just thought it would be interesting to see what sorts of names pop up when people use their own personal criteria, which can be as simple as who was most entertaining to watch.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
thanks. you understand what i was going for with this thread. we spend so much time bickering about who is the best of all time
John ****ing Elway that's who


Tarkenton?? BOOMER PFFFFFFFTTTTTTT
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
you people are funny.

i have my reasons for not being a huge fan of Elway dating back to when he was drafted and refused to sign with the Baltimore Colts. that pretty much sealed the Colts fate in Baltimore. he did also lose 3 SBs in blowout fashion, and 1 other AFCCG. it wasn't until Terrell Davis came along that Elway finally won a Lombardi. but i remember alot of frustrating times watching Elway before those 2 SBs. i like him. i'm not saying he's not top 5 all time. i'm just saying that he's not one of my favorites to have ever played the position.
But seriously, putting Tebow above him has to be to start a fight. Elway was everything you claim earned Tebow the spot...plus winning AFC and world championships for your favorite team.

That has to be trolling, because there is no logic to that
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,999

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Elway
manning
montana
marino
bradshaw
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,596

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

1. Elway- Shouldn't have to explain.
2. Whoever is the Broncos starting QB- I'm a homer, so shoot me.
3. Ditto
4. Ditto
5. Tebow- Will always have a place in my heart. Guy's like him just don't come around every day.

Honorable mentions- Jake Plummer. Despite is flaws, he just won games.

Kubiak- Loyal back up that never *****ed or moaned about his role, or wanted out to start. He knew what he was, a back up. Went on to become a great OC for us, and has really grown into his current job, and is underrated as a HC, imo.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
But seriously, putting Tebow above him has to be to start a fight. Elway was everything you claim earned Tebow the spot...plus winning AFC and world championships for your favorite team.

That has to be trolling, because there is no logic to that
not trolling.

why do you find it hard to believe that people can genuinely like Tebow and think that he brings something to the game that's entertaining? when he and MacGahee were running roughshod over Oakland this past season, it was damned entertaining to watch. much more than any game i've seen in the post-Elway era here.

i'm not saying Tebow > Elway.

one other caveat. Elway played during a time when it was much harder to see the Broncos on TV every week, unless you lived in their broadcast region. at the beginning of Elway's career (80's), i lived on the east coast and got mostly WAS/NYG/PHI games and then SF games late. i only got to see the Broncos in the playoffs or on Monday night games or when they played those other teams. for the remainder of Elway's career, i was in California. i saw more Broncos games there, but they were only on TV there maybe 6 or 7 times a year. i didn't get to see him play every week. just highlights on the recap shows. alot of his comebacks, i didn't get to see. i did see some stinkers in the SB though.

Last edited by Gort; 03-22-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Miss I.
Ring of Famer
 
Miss I.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,589
Default

Ummm, I am a little new so I don't know the older guys so much so it's the best I can do....
(oops I listed 6, my bad)
Peyton Manning
John Elway
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Tim Tebow (dork, I know he's not the best, he just made me really happy after a ****ty couple of years so for now I love him).
Kurt Warner - because he made Arizona relevant as someone who lived there, it was nice to see the team not totally suck for once.

My list will probably change as I go back and watch more classic NFL... I have a feeling because I like QBs that scramble and/or are very smart that I will probably enjoy Steve Young. I also have a feeling I will enjoy some of the really old school guys that played early NFL too, but will have to see.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops
 
rmsanger's Avatar
 
Another one bites the dust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,942

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

John Elway X5 / thread
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

1. Elway
2. Montana
3. Marino
4. Moon
5. As soon as he steps on the field. Luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
hookemhess's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon
Default

1. Elway - First time I saw a grown man cry was when Pat said, "THIS ONE'S FOR JOHN!" I look over and Dad had a tear running down his face.
2. Jake Plummer - Just a gamer. Loved his style of play.
3. Drew Brees - Shorter QB who just throws a beautiful ball.
4. Kurt Warner - Pure class and a true underdog story.
5. Peyton Manning - He would have been on my list before he became a Bronco because I love the mental aspect of his game.

(For perspective, I'm 25)
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #23
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,958

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
1. Elway
2. Montana
3. Marino
4. Moon
5. As soon as he steps on the field. Luck.
Wait luck hasn't gotten on the field?

Man, I've been watching ESPN and trying to remember if he won 7 or 8 superbowls. Oh and his Bowl Game record too, he won a lot of critical bowls, right?
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer
 
Gcver2ver3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 6,576

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball
Default

elway
manning
tebow
favre
mcnabb
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,958

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Pretty disappointed noone has Plummer.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 AM.


Denver Broncos