The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default So .... Drafts coming up in just over a month

Hey OM

Well we have our high % passing HOF bound QB, we are down a couple of DTs with a couple coming back. Our LB corp outside of Von is weak sauce (or going to be suspended).

Lets suppose we pick up Saturday, one of the 2 Indy TE's and Porter as CB as the rest of our free agency ...

What do you like in the draft?

I'm thinking we go 2 DTs in the top 3, MLB, RB and Oline depth. Since we have 4 years to win it all with Manning ... i'm thinking we are trading some of our lower round picks to move up to get 3 rookie starters.

I would love to move up to get Dontari Poe since he will require 2 blockers run or pass. We need LBs who can defend New Englands TE's on passing downs.

So move up in 1st to get Poe DT, Kendall Reyes DT in the 2nd (probably move up too), LaMichael James RB in the third, Best pass defending MLB in the 4th.

Pipe dreams?
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
g6matty

Poe's game film doesnt warrant a first round pick. lets not turn into the oakland raiders here. fletcher cox at 25 would be great followed by devon still.

be open minded though because Fox and Del Rio are in love with speedy undersized linebackers so Zach Brown may sneak into the fold
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Bmore Manning

Del Rio likes size and nasty LBers, and Two Gap DTs.. Fox likes big NTs too.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Del Rio likes size and nasty LBers, and Two Gap DTs.. Fox likes big NTs too.
yeah
Attached Images

uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/39...top-fives?pg=2

Quote:
Defensive Tackles
1. Devon Still, Penn State
2. Jerel Worthy*, Michigan State
3. Michael Brockers*, LSU
4. Brandon Thompson, Clemson
5. (tie) Fletcher Cox*, Mississippi State
Dontari Poe*, Memphis

Notes: Out for the Senior Bowl with a sprained big toe, Still is considered far and away the top 4-3 tackle eligible for the 2012 draft. At the Combine, Still is expected to measure in at around 6-foot-5, 307. "Scheme versatile," he should appeal to 3-4 teams as well at that size. Brockers, a redshirt sophomore, is a less experienced version of Still. Worthy is more of a 4-3 tackle only at a listed 6-foot-3 and 310 pounds. Poe (6'4/350, listed) may be the top true nose tackle in 2012.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prunch View Post
We need LBs who can defend New Englands TE's on passing downs.
They don't exist.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I think maybe the question that should be asked about the draft is, did Indy always draft for their system? Mediator12 has always said they did, and it got them to the playoffs quite often. Didn't advance all that often, but did have the great regular season records.

That begs the question though, is it worth it for Denver to draft for the system (Peyton Manning), leaving Denver in 2-3 years with the 2011 Colts?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
I actually think Poe will be the highest drafted NT, but he won't be the best. I would definitely pimp Ta'amu as "that guy." Someone looking for a 3-4 NT will love picking him up in the second rounnd. It may take him a year or two, but the dude can play.

Please no Poe, please...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
g6matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
yeah
lmao
Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

i'd like to see us go cheap on a FA rb and not worry about that position in the draft...

i REALLY want to see us go heavy defense in the draft...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by prunch View Post
Hey OM

Well we have our high % passing HOF bound QB, we are down a couple of DTs with a couple coming back. Our LB corp outside of Von is weak sauce (or going to be suspended).

Lets suppose we pick up Saturday, one of the 2 Indy TE's and Porter as CB as the rest of our free agency ...

What do you like in the draft?

I'm thinking we go 2 DTs in the top 3, MLB, RB and Oline depth. Since we have 4 years to win it all with Manning ... i'm thinking we are trading some of our lower round picks to move up to get 3 rookie starters.

I would love to move up to get Dontari Poe since he will require 2 blockers run or pass. We need LBs who can defend New Englands TE's on passing downs.

So move up in 1st to get Poe DT, Kendall Reyes DT in the 2nd (probably move up too), LaMichael James RB in the third, Best pass defending MLB in the 4th.

Pipe dreams?
If you are moving up in the first, there are only three players I would consider (if they fall within 5-8 picks of us, otherwise they are too costly).

1. Luke Kuechly
2. David DeCastro
3. Dre Kirkpatrick

Otherwise, just wait for 25 and take your pick. We have too many holes to trade away opprtunities. We should be able to get solid, starting caliber talent all the way through the fourth round if we are smart.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcver2ver3 View Post
i'd like to see us go cheap on a FA rb and not worry about that position in the draft...

i REALLY want to see us go heavy defense in the draft...
If Polk is there for our second round pick, or Turbin for our third round pick, we would be crazy not to take them. That being said, always draft your O-line first, then Rb's become interchangeable.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

We are trading down out of first and drafting BPA twice in 2nd and etc.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

DT in round 1 (unless a top CB prospect falls to us)
CB in rounds 2 or 3
RB in rounds 2 or 3 (I strongly believe this will happen)

WR at some point.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

We need DT and LB's more than we now need a CB or a RB..... I would blow up the mane if we went cb or lb that early in the draft.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

The FA signings over the next 2 weeks will set the priority in place for the draft board. We just started our FA run and got 3 of our top 15 FA's - with more coming in. The competition in camp this season is going to be amazing. Many jobs, including the following jobs are now available:

FS/SS
ILB
OLB
CB
WR3-4
RB2
TE1-2
QB2
...and of course the Oline is going to have to be in peak shape.

Denver has many more gaps than you think and EFX knows this. Del Rio's signing will bring some added knowledge on appropriate DT's. He and Fox will have a great defense. We are 3-4 more FA's away from being solid team. Add in 3 solid rookies and we will have a great team this season. One that lives up to the task of our schedule.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
We need DT and LB's more than we now need a CB or a RB..... I would blow up the mane if we went cb or lb that early in the draft.
Just basing this off of the talent in the draft based on what I've read. Lots of potential at DT, lots at RB. Not sure about second round CBs... to my recollection most of the top guys are predicted in the first before or around our pick and at that point I think DT is more of a need.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
teknic

I'll be happy if any of Kirkpatrick, Kuechly, Fleener, Hill or Still are selected by the Broncos.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
They don't exist.
Need the second coming of Sam Brandon so we can play big nickel again!
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

I say we use this plan unless Fletcher Cox is there at 25 we pass on DT till the 2nd round.

1st round pick up the BPA likely on offense at 25. (I could see a RB here Lamar Miller, David Wilson or Doug Martin)

2nd round grab a DT like Brandon Thompson, Kendall Reyes,
Alameda Ta'amu, or even Worthy if he falls to us somehow.

3rd round grab BPA at CB or LB or RB (if we didn't pick up RB in the 1st or 2nd)

4th round both picks BPA

5th & 6th round QB to develop & a scrappy kid that can make the team through special teams and hard work.

Last edited by KevinJames; 03-22-2012 at 10:17 PM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #21
Bmore Manning

Indy ran this God awful Tampa 2 that Dungy brought with him. So they drafted small undersized fast players, who would play a soft zone and gang tackle. The DTs couldn't handle one on one matchups, and many players couldn't stay healthy. While this allowed regular season success, too many teams trying to play ketchup, in the playoffs, everyone went ground and pound and played keep away from Manning.

My recommendation is to draft/acquire two cloggers for DT and get a jamaal Anderson/ Okoye type to play DT with Ayers on passing downs and DE on run downs, then draft a DE to play with Dumervill.

My ideal draft:
1. Luke Keluchey LB
2. Brandon Thompson DT
3. Cam Johnson DE
4. Nigel Bradham WLB
4. Josh Chapman NT
5. Terrance Ganaway RB
5. Andrew Datko RT
6. Asa Jackson CB

Last edited by Bmore Manning; 03-23-2012 at 06:19 AM..
Old 03-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #22
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Ha, play ketchup
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #23
g6matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
We are trading down out of first and drafting BPA twice in 2nd and etc.
the only reason we are able to do this is because manning will mask many of our flaws. only teams with franchise qbs can do this. if youre qb is an all time great you can fill out youre roster with solid talent over the board i think is the best way to win. we're fortunate to have studs like dumervil champ von and dj on defense.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #24
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
Poe's game film doesnt warrant a first round pick. lets not turn into the oakland raiders here. fletcher cox at 25 would be great followed by devon still.

be open minded though because Fox and Del Rio are in love with speedy undersized linebackers so Zach Brown may sneak into the fold
I like Worthy better than Poe and as much as Still. I think Sean Spence would be a great target at LB in the 2nd.

This draft is going to be interesting to see whether they look to build a balanced team overall, or whether they look to make it an offensive juggernaut.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #25
g6matty

im really torn because id love for us to grab a DT in the first round but we say that every year. i remember reading an article where elway listed areas of importance in order and it went

QB. pass rush. cornerback.

we got a qb and just picked up tracy porter so im thinking we look for pass rush. whether thats a DT or DE i cant figure out