The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default How/why is Bowlen broke?

Just want a logical answer. Every last game the Broncos played since he became owner has sold out. They play in a 10 year old stadium. Able to rip people off with concessions. Tebow is a friggin cash cow in regards to merchandise sales.

I can't imagine the Broncos don't have more revenue coming in right now than ever before. A ton of exposure.

I don't understand why the Broncos/Bowlen could be broke right now. Someone please explain it logically to me beyond the "still paying the Shanny/McDaniels contracts" business. Cuz that aint it. The rumors been going around since 2007. And until someone can logically explain the how/why I won't believe it. Cheap maybe, but not broke.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Agamemnon

I would guess it's because he has some ****ed up financial issues somewhere. The cap is set according to profitability across all teams, so any team that has constant sellouts and a modern stadium with luxury boxes should be able to fill it relatively easily. But if Bowlen's got a lot of debt that profitability going to start disappearing down the interest black hole very quickly. The rumor that he might have to take out a loan to get Manning makes me wonder if he took out other loans in the past like that, because if he did it would start showing up in the team's cash flow eventually.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Were not "broke" its just too much for some to understand that the signing of Manning or not has major implications on the direction of the team. Are we building for the next 3 years around a pocket passing qb or a strong armed rb.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

There are enough "IF's", "Guess", "Rumor", "wonder" in this short thread to kill a lion. Nothing like a factual thread
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I would guess it's because he has some ****ed up financial issues somewhere. The cap is set according to profitability across all teams, so any team that has constant sellouts and a modern stadium with luxury boxes should be able to fill it relatively easily. But if Bowlen's got a lot of debt that profitability going to start disappearing down the interest black hole very quickly. The rumor that he might have to take out a loan to get Manning makes me wonder if he took out other loans in the past like that, because if he did it would start showing up in the team's cash flow eventually.
Ok now I see
Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
Were not "broke" its just too much for some to understand that the signing of Manning or not has major implications on the direction of the team. Are we building for the next 3 years around a pocket passing qb or a strong armed rb.
Damn spot on.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Too much drinking.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
There are enough "IF's", "Guess", "Rumor", "wonder" in this short thread to kill a lion. Nothing like a factual thread
you noticed that too
Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Agamemnon

Quote:
Because people on this board are going to have hard facts about Bowlen's finances.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

He never went to freecreditreport.com.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Any owner that uses a team to make money will always be considered a Bottom Feeder. You buy sports teams to spend money not make it.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic

Al davis was one of the least richest owners. He was worth 800 million back in 2009. He still spent his cap space. He was an idiot with what he spent it on but showed you can be broke and still spend for players.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Because people on this board are going to have hard facts about Bowlen's finances.
All I could find was he was the 937th richest man in the world in 2010. Likely lost money after that.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Any owner that uses a team to make money will always be considered a Bottom Feeder. You buy sports teams to spend money not make it.
Unfortunately this is the truth. And it pretty much sums up Bowlen.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
So you admit you are talking out of your ass....... Again?
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Bowlen isn't broke. This is one of those mane fantasies that has grown and grown and grown and grown. Bowlen and his family are one of the 1000 wealthiest families in the world.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/...mily_ACGS.html

However, he's not in the stratosphere of a Mark Cuban, Jerry Jones, Stan Kroenkeor Daniel Snyder type in terms of net worth. Although He's probably closer than many would think.

Honestly, I think it has more to do with Pat Bowlen suffering from age related dementia. I seriously doubt Bowlen really has much to do with the day to day operational budget of the team. My guess is Joe Ellis, along with a slew of corporate attorneys, Bowlen family advisers etc. are attempting to keep the operational budget as low as possible in relation to the money the team makes. However, the team is still one of the ten most valuable in the league.
http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/25/mos..._slide_11.html
Worth more than the Steelers, Colts, Packers, Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs etc. etc.

So why is Bowlen/Bowlen's family doing this? My guess is that the family anticipates a time in the near future when Pat is completely unable to run the franchise and where they will sell the team. In the meantime, they are attempting to keep the costs associated with owning and operating an NFL franchise as low as possible, until the day where they sell the franchise.

The good news is in 2013 we get a per-team spending minimum
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ly-until-2013/

"Each team muat spend at least 89 percent of the salary cap in cash on an annual basis."
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Indeed, those offering 'insights' and speculation here are just playing 'rumor monger whores' that have no earthly idea what they are spouting and even less of a clue what is really on Bowlen's mind or in his wallet ... but love the sound of their own voice, toch? :-)
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Just want a logical answer. Every last game the Broncos played since he became owner has sold out. They play in a 10 year old stadium. Able to rip people off with concessions. Tebow is a friggin cash cow in regards to merchandise sales.

I can't imagine the Broncos don't have more revenue coming in right now than ever before. A ton of exposure.

I don't understand why the Broncos/Bowlen could be broke right now. Someone please explain it logically to me beyond the "still paying the Shanny/McDaniels contracts" business. Cuz that aint it. The rumors been going around since 2007. And until someone can logically explain the how/why I won't believe it. Cheap maybe, but not broke.
The short answer is that he is not broke, far from it. But it doesn't stop yahoos on a message board from declaring it so. Declaring it so, doesn't make it so.

This is being discussed on another thread. Bottom line is that in 2008 the Broncos brought in $240 million of revenue and had $39.9 million of operating income. O.I. is profits before taxes & interest. Obviously, 2011 numbers would be much larger. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/30/...ns_Income.html
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
DENVERDUI55

I've never heard anything about him being broke other than on the Mane. Seems like SOCAL is the ring leader on it. I could be wrong though never seen a link or an article mentioning money problems for him.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I've never heard anything about him being broke other than on the Mane. Seems like SOCAL is the ring leader on it. I could be wrong though never seen a link or an article mentioning money problems for him.
Because it doesn't exist.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
Pat Bowlen
President/Chief Executive

Quote:
No kidding. I once tried counting all the zeros but didn't feel like taking off my shoes.
Pat Bowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #22
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Bowlen View Post
No kidding. I once tried counting all the zeros but didn't feel like taking off my shoes.
Hey Pat. Sign Bunkley.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #23
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Hey Pat. Sign Bunkley.

Sign anyone!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #24
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post

Sign anyone!

this
Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post

Bowlen has a very expensive hooker habit
baja is offline   Reply With Quote