The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default The Broncos must be planning on a big draft

With the way that free agency is going they must be planning on hitting on every single pick in the draft or something. I mean talk about putting every egg in one basket for manning. I hope we can get a playmaker on the defensive line and a good developmental qb. I'm already planning on taking the fade on the enitre season assuming Tennesee or San Fran gets Manning. It's not looking good right now.
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I dont think this is some master plan. its just a major **** up
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

175 post rule dude.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier-Ace55 View Post
With the way that free agency is going they must be planning on hitting on every single pick in the draft or something. I mean talk about putting every egg in one basket for manning. I hope we can get a playmaker on the defensive line and a good developmental qb. I'm already planning on taking the fade on the enitre season assuming Tennesee or San Fran gets Manning. It's not looking good right now.
What the **** are you talking about? Every team expects a major draft. We did great last year, and of course we expect to this year. What is your point, or are you just throwing gas on the Manning fire? No guarantee that he will win a superbowl this year.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Only way to have a big draft is to trade down and try to have something like 5-6 picks between rounds 2-4. Not likely going to have a big draft picking towards the end of each round like they currently are.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
What the **** are you talking about? Every team expects a major draft. We did great last year, and of course we expect to this year. What is your point, or are you just throwing gas on the Manning fire? No guarantee that he will win a superbowl this year.
Good intelligent post..

We have sucked for so long in the DAFT that NO ONE has any confidence that we will do well..

WE need to come out of each draft with at least one immediate starter, and two to three potential guys or solid back ups at key spots..

If we do that over the long haul and resign our key starters over a ten-year program* we have built a dynasty.. that will be consistent in the playoffs instead of flash in the pan that going all out in FA for guys that in most cases are just in it for a paycheck..

Once they strike it good chances are they will get fat and lazy..

*We are currently about in year 4 of that plan..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Only way to have a big draft is to trade down and try to have something like 5-6 picks between rounds 2-4. Not likely going to have a big draft picking towards the end of each round like they currently are.
I do not see value/sure fire starters in round 4 this year.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Seems to me that we got two starters in 09 drafting at or below 25..

we will not be in the Von Miller type of talent at 25 but Doom was a fourth rounder as was Kuper and several other starters..

talent is where you find it..

I do believe that every so often that you will wind up picking top 5 because of injuries or just bad luck.. **** happens and all of the great long-term winners find themselves doing so from time to time..

PIT big Ben
Jets Sanchez
PAts MAyo
PAckers HAwke
Cowgirls Ware
Giants Rivers
SAN Manning.
BAL SUggs
Colts Frenny
SAN LT.

almost all of those were top 10 players taken a few as low as 12..

All going to consistent winners..

But then you have loads of talent going to crappy teams DET, CLE, CIN and it makes NO diffenrence..

the draft is a crap shot.. UFA is also IMO..
Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I do not see value/sure fire starters in round 4 this year.
You get your starters, hopefully, in rounds 2-3 and possible future starters in round 4 or at the very least, useful backups that are better than what they have now.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Folks are acting like free agency is over. The Broncos could still sign 3-4 quality starters in the next few weeks.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Seems to me that we got two starters in 09 drafting at or below 25..

we will not be in the Von Miller type of talent at 25 but Doom was a fourth rounder as was Kuper and several other starters..

talent is where you find it..

I do believe that every so often that you will wind up picking top 5 because of injuries or just bad luck.. **** happens and all of the great long-term winners find themselves doing so from time to time..

PIT big Ben
Jets Sanchez
PAts MAyo
PAckers HAwke
Cowgirls Ware
Giants Rivers
SAN Manning.
BAL SUggs
Colts Frenny
SAN LT.

almost all of those were top 10 players taken a few as low as 12..

All going to consistent winners..

But then you have loads of talent going to crappy teams DET, CLE, CIN and it makes NO diffenrence..

the draft is a crap shot.. UFA is also IMO..
True, but when you have so many bad drafts as the Broncos over the years and little gained in signing younger, good players in FA,, I believe one way to speed up the process of building through the draft is get multiple picks and do so a couple years in a row. You still have to make good picks, but your odds are increased of finding legit players.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Plan denotes the belief that our FO is thinking ahead.

For some odd reason, I doubt this.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
DENVERDUI55

This team will be in rebuild mode til a legit franchise qb is under center. Manning is a short term fix if we would of landed him. Be in same position in 2 to 3 seasons. No qb
Old 03-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
True, but when you have so many bad drafts as the Broncos over the years and little gained in signing younger, good players in FA,, I believe one way to speed up the process of building through the draft is get multiple picks and do so a couple years in a row. You still have to make good picks, but your odds are increased of finding legit players.
Your correct we sucked in years 1999 to 2007 with a slight blip in 06..

resinging only 5 day one* picks during that term IIRC all on D except for Griese and not sure that he counted.

* day one being picks 1-3 in most of those years..

YEs we sucked BUT siging UFA did not float many boats eitehr..

It is late and I'm tired butAbout the only ones worth a crap were Lynch, Dawkins and this year Bunkley.. most of the others were not worth the money we expended on them..IMO.

Now we have someone that has a clue about talent helping to make those decisisons and a coaching group that I trust to do the right thing so I'm patient and will wait for those kiddies to come around..

If you keep the keepers and jettison the ones tath are not then evventually you wind up with a solid core of starters mostly drafted and loyal to teh team..

Mercenaries (high paid players) with a few excpetions those aging Vets looking for a few more great years like those mentioned above rarely make a diffenernce..

Now from time to time you have to get into teh market to fill a gaping hole due to an injury (Kuper).
But for the most part draft them groom them and keep them.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
This team will be in rebuild mode til a legit franchise qb is under center. Manning is a short term fix if we would of landed him. Be in same position in 2 to 3 seasons. No qb
Yeah, but in theory, we have the potential to be really good for these three years.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Yeah, but in theory, we have the potential to be really good for these three years.
I would be all for it.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
With all the High impact / low cost players we have signed?

I see.....!
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
With all the High impact / low cost players we have signed?

I see.....!
We could still surround him with some good offensive talent and he's a rising tide kinda guy. I dont think his colts teams were ever that good, but he made them good.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #19
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It just appears to me that we don't want to spend on free agents unless it is to fill depth or we feel they will make a major impact. The niners and titans appear to be bigger favorites than us and they are still signing people to contracts with less cap space. What the **** i'm talking about is that it appears we are relying on the draft to aquire talent except Peyton Manning. Also i'm not so sure every team expects a major draft look at the redskins until recently it seemed like they didn't even like to draft. The flaw in this is if we miss. I wouldn't say that Julius Thomas or Rahim Moore are hits either and we don't have the #2 overall pick this year.

Dude i've read the posts in here i'm just looking this from different angle chill.
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
We did great last year? We hit on the #2 pick... Kind of hard to screw that up. Other than that the rest of the picks were so-so. Moore, Debo, preadator II. Yeah, draft was pretty average other than hitting on the highest pick in Bronco history.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #21
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

No free agents. Broke owners don't roll that way. Trust EFX and Bowlen. They have a five year plan.

bpc is offline   Reply With Quote