The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Woody Paige: Denver Broncos had better win horse race for Peyton Manning

Woody Paige: Denver Broncos had better win horse race for Peyton Manning

Posted: March 19, 2012 5:59 AM GMT Updated: 03/18/2012 11:59:09 PM MDT By Woody Paigedenverpost.com

Yet, if the Broncos don't end up in the winner's circle, they got some explaining to do.

To Tim Tebow and the other players, to you and me, even to Ricky Ricardo.

If something from out of the predominantly blue does not happen today or Tuesday, the Broncos will be among the Manning Weepstakes Losers. Win pays; place and show do not.

Alienating their starting quarterback and the multitudes in The Realm of the Orange, the Broncos EFX have not signed the No. 1 free agent or 98 of the next-best 99 available free agents.

The potential fiasco could not be rationalized in an ambiguous tweet or stone-cold silence.

Where do the Broncos go from here if the Man Plan fails?

Without Peyton, the Broncos will keep Tebow as the starting quarterback "going into training camp," although John Elway, John Fox, Brian Xanders, Pat Bowlen, Mike McCoy, Adam Gase and others at Dove Valley have acted as if they didn't want him to be the starting quarterback going into April.

It didn't matter that Tebow was the starting quarterback in the most successful run from 1-4 oblivion in franchise history, and, arguably, the most argued-about quarterback in NFL history.

Tebow will say he'll use the course of events to motivate himself to become a better quarterback. It's not as if he has a choice, with a contract for two more seasons.

The Broncos wanted to bring in somebody "to compete" with Tebow. A number of quarterbacks pro and college already are off the board. Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III? Spoken for. Brandon Weeden? The Broncos like him, but he's older than Tebow, isn't considered a viable pick in the first two rounds and has no experience on the professional level except in baseball.

Without Manning, the Broncos' brain trust had better repair the damage with Tebow in a hurry. The franchise might end up having to offer what the other also-rans did: "It was a unique situation, and we wanted to explore it, and it didn't mean that we're not excited about who we have moving forward."

Yes, but there's that other little situation.

The Broncos haven't signed any free agents at defensive tackle, wide receiver, tight end, running back or cornerback, and they had more salary cap space than anybody else in the league except the Chiefs.

In the meantime, every few minutes another attractive unrestricted free agent bites the dust.

for the rest.......http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...se-race-peyton
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

agree
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Woody Paige is one of the wonders of the world: A giant, talking ass.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Am in complete agreement with this article.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
normally I agree, but he is spot on here
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
So which part is off? Quote what you disagree with please.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
So which part is off? Quote what you disagree with please.
Try to find others to give assignments to, mkay?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

money talks with opie in the end..
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Try to find others to give assignments to, mkay?
Generally if you're going to disagree with something it's up to the disagree-er to elaborate.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Paige, like many others, ASSUMES that Tebow is a franchise QB and want the team to draft and sign FAs as if he was. That's the disconnect. They are not operating on that assumption.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Jay3

Quote:
Paige, like many others, ASSUMES that Tebow is a franchise QB and want the team to draft and sign FAs as if he was. That's the disconnect. They are not operating on that assumption.
So, the logic goes, "If Peyton Manning, make team better. If no Manning, fugeddaboutit."
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #12
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
So, the logic goes, "If Peyton Manning, make team better. If no Manning, fugeddaboutit."
Yeah, as if half the teams in the league aren't going about the business of figuring out whether their QB is a long term answer.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Dont disagree with anything there Woody bar the Chiefs didn't have the most caproom.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

In typical Woody Paige fashion, the self-anointed Grand Poobah of Denver sports thinks the team wil owe him and us fans an explanation for pursuing one of the greatest QBs of all time. Woody hath decided that Brandon Weeden is not worthy of a first- or second-rounder, and it's apparently a demerit that Weeden is older than Tebow. To boot, Paige laughs off the Mike Adams signing by confusing the safety with Brandon Meriweather. How cute, and stay classy, Woody.
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...y-lard-3-19-12
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
In typical Woody Paige fashion, the self-anointed Grand Poobah of Denver sports thinks the team wil owe him and us fans an explanation for pursuing one of the greatest QBs of all time. Woody hath decided that Brandon Weeden is not worthy of a first- or second-rounder, and it's apparently a demerit that Weeden is older than Tebow. To boot, Paige laughs off the Mike Adams signing by confusing the safety with Brandon Meriweather. How cute, and stay classy, Woody.
To be fair, an older College Spread QB with zero NFL experience sounds like a complete step backwards. If you're not willing to spread your offense out, you have no use for Weeden (or Tebow)

Weeden could have success somewhere. Just not with McFox.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #16
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
See, and here is where I think it's not really a Tebow thing specifically, I think it's an issue of we probably passed on many free agents including some of our own to go all in on Manning. Which, is fine...but when you make a move like that you better be damn sure you are going to make it happen. Add in ANY QB situation on top of it and it's a mess but the Tebow situation is just a million times worse than the normal one...so we could literally be in a home run or **** storm situation right now.

Who knows, maybe I am chicken little. This just seems to have been handled poorly and dishonestly the more it plays out.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'm still trying to figure out how this franchise owes Tebow an apology for going after an unrestricted, FA, HOF QB. That situation arises... well, I can't think of the last time a situation like this came up.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'd also like Paige to answer this question: Does Mike Wallace want to come here and play with Tebow? How about other players? Would it cost more, or less, for the Broncos to make those deals if the QB is Tebow or Peyton Manning? Eh? ~crickets~
Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #19
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Well, in all fairness to Woody. He's not unique......we have lots of giant talking asses right here on this board.

55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
That was a good article you just said that from past judgements.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #21
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how this franchise owes Tebow an apology for going after an unrestricted, FA, HOF QB. That situation arises... well, I can't think of the last time a situation like this came up.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #22
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I don't think anybody needs a reason but their should be etiquette when you announce Tebow the starter going into camp, rave about what you think of him, it sort of casts a pall on the team when you hesitate signing talent at 85% of our pressing issues to go after a qb like Manning. Factor in that EFX haven't communicated once with him sine the pursuit began, well, that just speak volumes in regards to jerking somebody around. Disingenuous to say the least. This is how a McDaniels type would operate, I expected more out of Elway. He might be the type to break up with girls via the text message.

Last edited by bpc; 03-19-2012 at 07:40 AM..
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #23
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I don't think anybody needs a reason but their should be etiquette when you announce Tebow the starter going into camp, rave about what you think of him, it sort of casts a pall on the team when you hesitate signing talent at 85% of our pressing issues to go after a qb like Manning. Factor in that EFX haven't communicated once with him sine the pursuit began, well, that just speak volumes in regards to jerking somebody around. Disingenuous to say the least. This is how a McDaniels type would operate, I expected more out of Elway. He might be the type to break up with girls via the text message.
Hasselbeck got more respectful treatment than Tebow. And even he knows he's a stopgap.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Hasselbeck got more respectful treatment than Tebow. And even he knows he's a stopgap.
But according to some, although Tebow was told he was the starter going into TC, Tebow does not need that same courtesy. Sure, if they were just signing Dixon or QB's like that for competition that would be on thing, but they are trying to sign God's gift of QB's here. Why not inform him and tell him since you may need to use him as an alternative and would be nice if your QB wasn't upset and felt lied to. Look at what is happening with the 49ers and Smith.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
That was a good article you just said that from past judgements.
Not really. Same old **** from Woody. He's got the same old massive ego and assumes he knows the motives behind what the Broncos are doing, or that they have no motives at all (like many on this board argue) and are simply flailing around like idiots. I assume that I don't know their motives, but it will be made clear in the near future.

Like I pointed out, if Manning is the QB I would argue that signing FAs will come cheaper, and easier. Why not wait and see? Might save you millions? Paige doesn't take that into account. For all we know, Elway & Co. have already decided that Tebow is not their QBOTF and intend to make other moves. Paige doesn't even entertain that possibility. For years, I don't think anybody at DV has talked with Paige, and I doubt he knows anything now, let alone what they "should" do if they don't sign Manning. Like he would have a ****ing clue.

BTW, Woody Paige is a Tennessee alum and huge Vols fan.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 03-19-2012 at 08:03 AM..