The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Woody: Manning chase was Fox's suggestion

According to a trustworthy source, when team officials watched the tearful news conference announcing that Manning was being released by the Colts, Fox stood and strongly suggested that the Broncos go full footballs-out for him. After considering the potential ramifications and having a discussion with owner Pat Bowlen, Elway agreed.

Fox broke his public silence Thursday evening and told me: "Sometimes you have to be willing to take big risks in life."

Read more: Woody Paige: Broncos' brass still in pursuit of Peyton Manning - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...#ixzz1pNsrUkKJ
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

And Fox was supposedly the one guy who believed in Tebow the most. Tebow is so gone no matter what happens with Manning.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I call bull****. They couldn't have just decided to go after Manning after seeing the presser. I have to believe this chase has been planned and talked about within the organization since the end of last season.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

I bet Fox had to twist Elway's arm lol.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I call bull****. They couldn't have just decided to go after Manning after seeing the presser. I have to believe this chase has been planned and talked about within the organization since the end of last season.
True, I don't think it would have been hard to convince Elway anyway since I don't think he ever believed in Tebow since he inherited him.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
And Fox was supposedly the one guy who believed in Tebow the most. Tebow is so gone no matter what happens with Manning.
People keep jumping to this conclusion. I'm not naive here, but as long as all the cards are above the table, I think its not hard to explain why you went all out for a HOF QB that might still have some tread on his tires. Tim is a mature kid, and I think he understands the business as well.

If Denver doesn't sign Manning, Tebow's best chance in the NFL is to stay and win our starting job, even if he moves on in the next year or two. You won't help your career if you jump ship (because of hurt feelings) and sit on the bench for a new team. He is slotted to be our starter if there is no Manning. Even Tim and his agent know that is his best case scanario next year.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Exactly you build Plan A and Plan B. Plan A is all in on Manning. PLan B is a normal offseason. You can build that in November when Indy is 0-12 and Manning is not coming back and due $28 MM . All this was fact in November

Woody is an idiot
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

These guys LOVE throwing each under the bus in regards to Tebow lol
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
People keep jumping to this conclusion. I'm not naive here, but as long as all the cards are above the table, I think its not hard to explain why you went all out for a HOF QB that might still have some tread on his tires. Tim is a mature kid, and I think he understands the business as well.

If Denver doesn't sign Manning, Tebow's best chance in the NFL is to stay and win our starting job, even if he moves on in the next year or two. You won't help your career if you jump ship (because of hurt feelings) and sit on the bench for a new team. He is slotted to be our starter if there is no Manning. Even Tim and his agent know that is his best case scanario next year.
I just don't agree. The Broncos going after Manning shows they do not believe in him. The only teams who really went after Manning were ones who at least have the appearance of having questions at QB.

I will state once again like I have other times. If they had simply told Tebow you are the starter going into TC and they brought in a drafted rookie and some vet to compete and Tebow got beat, so be it. He would have had his chance to win the job outright, but failed.

Instead they would have signed Manning, who would not agree to come to the Broncos to "compete" for a job, much less the Broncos giving huge money for "competition." He would have the job and Tebow would have lost his chance to really compete for the job before even the draft.

Add Tebow felt slighted about not being the starter going into last season and now this. People can say how they think he should feel, but any normal person could see the writing on the wall here.

Tebow is not the guy they drafted and history shows, just as with coaches, if a new coach and GM take over a team and they do not have an already established QB on the roster, rarely do any of the current QB's stay very long. They would wait for their own QB to develop, but not one they didn't draft or sign.

And how Tebow, if Manning signs elsewhere, could believe it if the Broncos told him they do believe in him is hard to fathom. Their actions show otherwise.

Some say, well it is Manning they went after, so he will understand. Sure, he will understand that they don't think they can win with him and don't even want to bother to see him win or lose the job in TC.

Trust can be a fragile thing and the quickest way for a coach or FO to lose players is when they can't be trusted and right now, I don't see how Tebow can believe what they tell him anymore.

And again, people can believe what Tebow should feel, but nobody likes feeling they have been lied to. We can argue all day whether you feel Tebow was lied to or shouldn't feel this or that, but he is human and one can easily see how he could see it that way.

But no, I am not saying the Broncos are necessarily wrong. If they do not believe in Tebow, then they should be looking for a new starting QB. But because of how this is played out, I just believe they need a new one even if Manning signs someplace else since Tebow would just feel he is on borrowed time and the patience for him to develop would not be that high.

Last edited by barryr; 03-17-2012 at 07:58 AM..
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Also noted in the article:

The Broncos, considered favorites last weekend, apparently are third this weekend.

Read more: Woody Paige: Broncos' brass still in pursuit of Peyton Manning - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...#ixzz1pO04AFZu
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Exactly you build Plan A and Plan B. Plan A is all in on Manning. PLan B is a normal offseason. You can build that in November when Indy is 0-12 and Manning is not coming back and due $28 MM . All this was fact in November

Woody is an idiot
Either Woody's an idiot or EFX are.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
I just don't agree. The Broncos going after Manning shows they do not believe in him. The only teams who really went after Manning were ones who at least have the appearance of having questions at QB.

I will state once again like I have other times. If they had simply told Tebow you are the starter going into TC and they brought in a drafted rookie and some vet to compete and Tebow got beat, so be it. He would have had his chance to win the job outright, but failed.

Instead they would have signed Manning, who would not agree to come to the Broncos to "compete" for a job, much less the Broncos giving huge money for "competition." He would have the job and Tebow would have lost his chance to really compete for the job before even the draft.

Add Tebow felt slighted about not being the starter going into last season and now this. People can say how they think he should feel, but any normal person could see the writing on the wall here.

Tebow is not the guy they drafted and history shows, just as with coaches, if a new coach and GM take over a team and they do not have an already established QB on the roster, rarely do any of the current QB's stay very long. They would wait for their own QB to develop, but not one they didn't draft or sign.

And how Tebow, if Manning signs elsewhere, could believe it if the Broncos told him they do believe in him is hard to fathom. Their actions show otherwise.

Some say, well it is Manning they went after, so he will understand. Sure, he will understand that they don't think they can win with him and don't even want to bother to see him win or lose the job in TC.

Trust can be a fragile thing and the quickest way for a coach or FO to lose players is when they can't be trusted and right now, I don't see how Tebow can believe what they tell him anymore.

And again, people can believe what Tebow should feel, but nobody likes feeling they have been lied to. We can argue all day whether you feel Tebow was lied to or shouldn't feel this of that, but he is human and one can easily see how he could see it that way.
I agree with you that there is a history of broken trust. This organization hasn't been in Tebow's corner, but I think people underestimate how much effect Tebow's beliefs have on his reaction to this situation. The boy has perserverance written in his very bones, and this is but another challenge towards his goals. It's crappy to watch, but I think his whole life has been about overcoming adversity and rising above. Anyway - that's my personal opinion, and I guess we won't know how our personal opinions shake out until about August.

So here is my question for you. You be Tebow's agent. Do you tell him to stay at a team where he is slotted as the starter, or do you tell him to go try to "compete" for another team? If so, list your teams where you think the staff will accomodate Tebow as the starter.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Either Woody's an idiot or EFX are.
What it really boils down to is that Woody's "trustworthy source" is either right or wrong. That or Woody made it up...
Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
What it really boils down to is that Woody's "trustworthy source" is either right or wrong. That or Woody made it up...
Point taken, but you're not off the hook. Back to my agent question -- where would you advise your client to go, if not accepting the "starting role" for the Broncos?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
I just don't agree. The Broncos going after Manning shows they do not believe in him.
I disagree with this. Manning is a once in a lifetime player. Pursuing him doesn't say anything about Tebow other than he isn't currently as good as one of the top QBs in the history of the game. There's no one arguing that point.

But it doesn't translate to having no faith in Tebow.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #16
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I agree with you that there is a history of broken trust. This organization hasn't been in Tebow's corner, but I think people underestimate how much effect Tebow's beliefs have on his reaction to this situation. The boy has perserverance written in his very bones, and this is but another challenge towards his goals. It's crappy to watch, but I think his whole life has been about overcoming adversity and rising above. Anyway - that's my personal opinion, and I guess we won't know how our personal opinions shake out until about August.

So here is my question for you. You be Tebow's agent. Do you tell him to stay at a team where he is slotted as the starter, or do you tell him to go try to "compete" for another team? If so, list your teams where you think the staff will accomodate Tebow as the starter.
I would tell him to bolt since any other team would be trading for him or signing him because they want him. Tebow is slated to be the starter, but as we can see and he can especially, that doesn't really mean much since it is written with pencil.

As for teams, it depends on what teams that need a QB do. Miami needs a QB and that would be an option, but not if they sign Flynn. Seattle could be a team with interest, but not if they sign Flynn. The Browns could be a team with interest, especially fan interest in that team is quite low right now, but not if they draft Tannehill. Any others would be a team with a solid QB in place and where they would plan to use Tebow in wildcat type of plays and maybe goal line situations.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I disagree with this. Manning is a once in a lifetime player. Pursuing him doesn't say anything about Tebow other than he isn't currently as good as one of the top QBs in the history of the game. There's no one arguing that point.

We will have to agree to disagree then. Romo isn't as good as Manning either, yet Dallas made effort to get Manning and they seem to have a ton of money somehow with all of the other moves they have made. Difference is they believe in their QB. The Broncos do not believe in Tebow. If they did, they wouldn't bother going after Manning, especially since this roster is not Super Bowl caliber and one would hope they would spend pretty much the same way in FA no matter who was the QB.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
There is nowhere else in the league where Tebow will be as accommodated as he will be in Denver, assuming we don't sign Manning, of course.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Point taken, but you're not off the hook. Back to my agent question -- where would you advise your client to go, if not accepting the "starting role" for the Broncos?
Well I don't think the agent's advice is all that big of a factor because the Broncos either keep him or they don't. So I'd say sit tight and see what the Broncos do because I don't think there's much, if any, market for Tim Tebow.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #20
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Fox broke his public silence Thursday evening and told me: "Sometimes you have to be willing to take big risks in life."
how about believing and developing the guy that saved your ass from being fired you big turd
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree then. Romo isn't as good as Manning either, yet Dallas made effort to get Manning and they seem to have a ton of money somehow with all of the other moves they have made. Difference is they believe in their QB. The Broncos do not believe in Tebow. If they did, they wouldn't bother going after Manning, especially since this roster is not Super Bowl caliber and one would hope they would spend pretty much the same way in FA no matter who was the QB.
I think you're mistaking the idea that the Broncos don't believe Tim is there yet with the idea that they do not believe in him at all.

Are you applying the same logic to Alex Smith, Jake Locker, Hasselback, Kolb?

Do all those guys have to be dealt as well?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post

I certainly understand this perspective. But as I've said before, if they thought Tebow was the QBOTF they wouldn't be interested in Manning. You don't replace your franchise QBOTF, there is absolutely zero precedent for such a move. So the pursuit really does say quite a lot. I'll have to agree with barry here.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTO View Post
how about believing and developing the guy that saved your ass from being fired you big turd
foxs' job was never at risk,so tebow never saved his ass from being fired. if anything fox saved tebows job by changing the entire offense to help tebow.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #24
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTO View Post
Manning is a security blanket for any coach because Manning actually becomes the figurehead of the team and the coach is less culpable. Dungy hid behind Manning for a decade, cashing checks while Manning ran the team.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #25
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Schefter reported just a few weeks ago the Broncos had no interest in going after Manning, so it would appear there was a change of plans somewhere.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote