The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
Drek
Ring of Famer

Default DT Options Still Available

So after letting Miami steal Soliai back from us here's what I see as the remaining DT market:

Bunkley - clearly not taking a home town discount. Guy played his best football in college right before the draft, then was a nobody in the NFL until his contract year. Do we really want to pay this guy full market value?

Jason Jones - Great interior pass rusher at DT, little small to do well in run support. Likely won't come super cheap as the Rams, Titans, and I believe one or two other teams are kicking the tires. Fits exactly what we should be looking for though as part of a three or four man DT rotation.

Amobi Okoye - We were interested last year but got outbid by Chicago. While there he was a rotational DT who had 4 sacks. He's back on the market and would seem like a great low cost alternative to Jason Jones. Chicago supposedly wants him back. Why we haven't made a push for him yet is beyond me.

Marcus Thomas - mediocre DT that people keep acting like has real potential. I'm betting he's back again next year for only a little more than he made this year. Don't see any other team spending big on him.

Old retreads - Antonio Garay, Abreyo Franklin, Shaun Rogers, Tommie Harris. None of these guys are a real answer and don't have much left in the tank even if they were. I wouldn't be surprised if we wind up sticking one of them on the roster though.

Young unprovens - Brandon McKinney, Pat Sims, Andre Fluellen, etc. A bunch of mid-20's guys who have never won a starting job. I mention these three by name because at least they're playing on lines with worthwhile DTs in front of them. You would like to think our scouting department could pick out one or two guys worth adding here as opposed to letting an outright scrub like Unrein remain on the roster.

Way I see it we need to add three DTs in some fashion at a minimum. Warren can't be trusted to ever be healthy again. Vickerson will be back but McBean is likely to miss the first 1/3rd of the season. So we need three in order to have a four man rotation that can grow to five depending on if Warren is healthy or when McBean returns. Unrein should not suit up for this team ever again if we're serious about having solid DTs next year.

On the run stuffing front we either need to bet on a broke down vet, hope to find a steal from another team's depth chart, or take on the risk that Bunkley was playing for his next contract last season. None of those are great options, and this is why we should have broke the bank for Soliai if needed, but that is neither here nor there.

As far as finally maybe generating some pass rush out of the DT spot, well, that is a rare skill to find. There happens to be two DTs available this FA period with just that skill, but we haven't pursued them yet. If we could land one it would be excellent. Otherwise we're praying for something in the draft.

Overall the options are rather depressing. I'd say ideal world we resign Bunkley, add Okoye, and then spend our first round pick on a well rounded DT like Still. I'd feel ok going into the 2012 season with those guys plus Vickerson and the Warren/McBean injury/suspension risks. Especially if we threw a big boy run stuffer type onto the practice squad from a later round pick or UDFA signing.

Worst case scenario, and what I think is much more likely, is that we let Bunkley walk, resign Thomas to supposedly give us some pass rush, avoid drafting DT until the later rounds if at all, and sign one of the old vets I mentioned above to be a run stuffer. So something like Shaun Rogers, Marcus Thomas, and nobody else. Ensuring that Unrein is still playing real minutes while Warren rides IR again, McBean is out the first six games, and the old vet we add is on and off the roster with injuries while also being generally ineffective when on the field himself.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

What type of deal is Bunkley looking for? Why on earth would they let him walk after Soliai got away? I trust this regimes ability to gage talent on the defensive side of the ball but I can not imagine they would let Bunkley bail unless he wants topshelf money.
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Add Trevor Laws to your list of "unprovens" who are available.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Broncos shouldn't waste their time with either Thomas or McBean. Neither make enough plays to help the defense become better. Warren is iffy, DT's with injury problems tend to stay that way, so banking on him probably isn't wise either.

Bunkley is a need re-sign IMO in that he was effective at times and still young enough to keep being effective. If only able to sign old retreads, then I would rather they just draft a couple DT's at some point in the draft since they can likely produce as much as any of those guys.
barryr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I would have said to go after Aubrayo Franklin, but he proved in New Orleans that he is not a good fit for the type of front we play.

As of right now, Jason Jones, Bunkley and Pat Sims are 3 guys I like.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The Broncos haven't given a damn about the position in twenty years. Why would that change this year? On the Broncos values list, punter comes before DT.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

wake up. we need real help here......................
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The Broncos haven't given a damn about the position in twenty years. Why would that change this year? On the Broncos values list, punter comes before DT.
So it seems!! It's very frustrating to say the least.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Broncos offered more money to solai he took a home town discount. They did pay him 12 million last year maybe he felt guilty.

Eddie mac said jones has dropped to 245lbs that is bad.

I am betting bunkley is out trying to find bigger cash when he can't he will ne back.
Thomas is ok good rotational player. He will ham every now and again.

Jamaal mcleen- more important than any of the fa dt available.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I would have Kendall Langford on that list, probably at the top of it, wants to return to Miami but I see him as a better 4-3 UT than a 3-4 end.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Did Anthony Adams sign somewhere? He is a dependable NT who loves to take on 2 guys and control gap assignment. He kept the OL off Briggs & Urlicker in Chitown. I think he would be a solid rotational guy who has at least 5 or more quality years left in him.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Amobi Okoye would be interesting... that's a good point about Bunkley, though. There should be some discount for him due to the risk involved. Maybe an incentive-laden contract...
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

I like the idea of making a run at Okoye.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Did Anthony Adams sign somewhere? He is a dependable NT who loves to take on 2 guys and control gap assignment. He kept the OL off Briggs & Urlicker in Chitown. I think he would be a solid rotational guy who has at least 5 or more quality years left in him.
Adams turns 32 in June, so you really think he has at least 5 quality years left in him? Maybe 1 or 2, if even that.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Adams turns 32 in June, so you really think he has at least 5 quality years left in him? Maybe 1 or 2, if even that.
Traylor and Washington played until they were 40. He would be a good rotational guy.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Traylor and Washington played until they were 40. He would be a good rotational guy.
They were also 340 pounds and had more a rep of being good space eaters. Anthony Adams?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think Jack Del Rio, who has always had great DTs as a cornerstone of his defenses, would disagree with you.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
SimonFletcher73
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Goose Gonsoulin

Re-sign Marcus Thomas based solely on this.

SimonFletcher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

let Dolphins steal Soliai. People need to realize Broncos made him a good offer he chose to stay with the buddies and city he had been in. You have to realize some people don't like change and will chose to stay where things are familiar.

Its not always a teams choice and you can't make ridiculously high offers just to get a guy to sign. That is why Oakland in so much trouble right now.

We should sign Wimbley if he wants to play here. Make him a reasonable offer see what happens. Him opposite Doom on 3rd downs, with Ayers kicked inside, Miller off the edge would be something.,
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

what is a DT
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Franklin and Okoye, please.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Franklin and Okoye both played average last yr. That is why people shouldnt get too excited about FA. There is a reason the are FA all the time.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #23
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Abraham out.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #24
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I would have said to go after Aubrayo Franklin, but he proved in New Orleans that he is not a good fit for the type of front we play.

As of right now, Jason Jones, Bunkley and Pat Sims are 3 guys I like.
I second that!
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Abraham out.
You may wanna check the thread title again.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote