The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
jerseyguy4

Default O-line for Peyton

I'm new here. Career Manning fan, longer time Colt fan. I'll always be a Colt fan, but I can't not-follow Peyton as well.

I am assuming he's coming to Denver. Fox, Elway, the cap room, the AFC, the division...they are great reasons to stop looking elsewhere. You can believe he won't go anywhere for money alone...the foundation is more important.

For anyone still hanging onto Tebowmania, Peyton will make you quickly forget once he's in Denver. From a fan's point of view, there is no better guy than Manning. Win or lose, every game this year is going to be awesome. That's exactly why I can't abandon him for the Colts. The past 14 years of being a Colts fan was fantastic every year, even when we went one and done in the playoffs.

So on to business. I mostly see people worrying about Denver's receivers. Don't. They're not important. My opinion is every great receiver on the Colts was only good/very-good: Harrison, Wayne. Every good receiver was only fair: Collie, Stokely, Garcon. And the ones who were fair should be unknown: Blair White. They are made better not (only) from Peyton throwing, but through the tireless efforts that they will work with Peyton between now and game 1. Read about Peyton and Anthony Gonzalez...Peyton used to drive to Ohio State to go see him before college graduation so they could start throwing as early as possible.

My point: he'll make due with who you have. Don't lose sleep over it. They just need hands, a good attitude, and a desire to work hard.

What you must have: a solid offense line (one that is preferably not stupid), a good blocking TE, and a good blocking RB.
Honestly, I don't know...how is Denver in these areas?

I am sure this has been discussed...but I think Jeff Saturday and Ryan Diem can be bought from the Colts. Either or both may retire if they don't follow Peyton. And if their positions are already filled with someone better (younger), then they should be brought on as a O-line consultant or coach. Believe they are worth it.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post
I'm new here. Career Manning fan, longer time Colt fan. I'll always be a Colt fan, but I can't not-follow Peyton as well.

I am assuming he's coming to Denver. Fox, Elway, the cap room, the AFC, the division...they are great reasons to stop looking elsewhere. You can believe he won't go anywhere for money alone...the foundation is more important.

For anyone still hanging onto Tebowmania, Peyton will make you quickly forget once he's in Denver. From a fan's point of view, there is no better guy than Manning. Win or lose, every game this year is going to be awesome. That's exactly why I can't abandon him for the Colts. The past 14 years of being a Colts fan was fantastic every year, even when we went one and done in the playoffs.

So on to business. I mostly see people worrying about Denver's receivers. Don't. They're not important. My opinion is every great receiver on the Colts was only good/very-good: Harrison, Wayne. Every good receiver was only fair: Collie, Stokely, Garcon. And the ones who were fair should be unknown: Blair White. They are made better not (only) from Peyton throwing, but through the tireless efforts that they will work with Peyton between now and game 1. Read about Peyton and Anthony Gonzalez...Peyton used to drive to Ohio State to go see him before college graduation so they could start throwing as early as possible.

My point: he'll make due what who you have. Don't lose sleep over it. They just need hands, a good attitude, and a desire to work hard.

What you must have: a solid offense line (one that is preferably not stupid), a good blocking TE, and a good blocking RB.

I am sure this has been discussed...by I think Jeff Saturday and Ryan Diem can be bought from the Colts. Either or both may retire if they don't follow Peyton. And if their positions are already filled with someone better (younger), then they should be brought on as a O-line consultant or coach. Believe they are worth it.
First thing I would do once I got word Manning is going to sign would be to sign Steve Hucthinson to replace Beadles at G
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
First thing I would do once I got word Manning is going to sign would be to sign Steve Hucthinson to replace Beadles at G
Uh Oh
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Thanks for the post, good stuff. Agree that Manning will make WR's better. I heard the story on Mike & Mike last week about Manning driving to Ohio St. to work out w/ Gonzalez.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
rifleman625
Just Drafted

You mean this guy?

The Tennessee Titans signed free agent offensive guard Steve Hutchinson to a three-year deal on Thursday, according to John Clayton at ESPN. The move addresses an interior line that ranked as one of the Titan's most important needs of the offseason. The move may also have been done with the intention of luring another free agent, quarterback Peyton Manning, according to Clayton and other league insiders.

Manning and Hutchinson are said to have a close relationship. Adam Schefter described the connection and the potential link to the Titans on Tuesday as the NFL free agent period opened.

Better protection was essential for the Titans no matter who plays quarterback in 2012. Hutchinson, a seven-time Pro Bowl player, turns 35 in November, and his age brings questions about his effectiveness in the later stages of his career.
rifleman625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
BroncoBeavis

Quote:

My point: he'll make due with who you have. Don't lose sleep over it. They just need hands, a good attitude, and a desire to work hard.

I am sure this has been discussed...but I think Jeff Saturday and Ryan Diem can be bought from the Colts. Either or both may retire if they don't follow Peyton. And if their positions are already filled with someone better (younger), then they should be brought on as a O-line consultant or coach. Believe they are worth it.
Yeah, you lost me at the whole "Win or Lose, the games will be exciting" thing. We already had that.

We also played very well against the Steelers in the first round of the playoffs, which was exhilarating to see from a kid in his first season's worth of games. With Peyton there is no 'we lost, but it was exciting'

Loss is failure when you sell your soul to "WIN NOW"
Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Thanks for the post, good stuff. Agree that Manning will make WR's better. I heard the story on Mike & Mike last week about Manning driving to Ohio St. to work out w/ Gonzalez.
Shefter this moring said Manning loved Eric Decker coming out of college
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

We definitely need to upgrade the interior line, particularly left guard. Aside from that, I think we have a good core, we just need depth - badly. Injuries on our front five is really bad news for us at this point - REALLY bad news.

I'm not worried about our receivers. We've got some good guys there. We need to add some line talent, and get another solid runningback - and then focus on defense.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Impeccable timing.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Walton and Beadles are terrible at C and LG. Clady only a shadow of himself at LT. Kuper was good at RG before his ankle was twisted off late in the season. Rookie RT Franklin was an above-average run-blocker, but frequently whiffed in pass protection.

None of our TEs can block. Or catch for that matter.

Moreno is a fair blocker at RB when he's healthy, which is seldom. McGahee is about average.

Fair to say that Manning will get killed here.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Walton and Beadles are terrible at C and LG. Clady only a shadow of himself at LT. Kuper was good at RG before his ankle was twisted off late in the season. Rookie RT Franklin was an above-average run-blocker, but frequently whiffed in pass protection.

Moreno is a fair blocker at RB when he's healthy, which is seldom. McGahee is about average.

But apparently simply adding Manning makes those problems go away.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
But apparently simply adding Manning makes those problems go away.
Hopefully youll see.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:

Why didn't the Colts have a BU behind Manning ready to go? Painter didn't look like he knew the O at all. You would think with all the time Peyton spends in the film room the other QB's would be in there with him or did they not think it was possible he would ever go down?

It would be interesting to hear a Colt fans take on that.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Shefter this moring said Manning loved Eric Decker coming out of college
Funny. I love Eric decker too. (was gonna add coming, but that seemed wrong for some reason)
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
jerseyguy4

Quote:

So you pull in Saturday, Diem, and Clark. Why not, you have the cap room. It has to be a tremendous help to have old Colts linemen to teach the system.
Hell, even after that there will still be cap room AND you have the draft.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Broncbow

Quote:

This^

is
all
it
would
take

Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Why didn't the Colts have a BU behind Manning ready to go? Painter didn't look like he knew the O at all. You would think with all the time Peyton spends in the film room the other QB's would be in there with him or did they not think it was possible he would ever go down?

It would be interesting to hear a Colt fans take on that.
I think every fan, coach, and Irsay knew the eggs were all in one basket. Backup QB's on the Colts were brought in for one reason, to mimic well the other NFL QB's for defense practice.

Jim Sorgi was that guy for most of Peyton's years, and he wasn't bad. He got old and beat up and was replaced by Painter in 2010. Painter was just terrible.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Hopefully youll see.
Yeah John Elway just sucked right up until 1997 when he became a goat. The team around him had nothin to do with it.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

That's cool. But I don't think he's coming here.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

Our WR's lead the league in drops i'd say, oline is best when run blocking..pass pro...not so much, TE's were non existant pretty much all last year. Manning would get killed with our current players on O imo!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote