The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default Tebow's value as a back-up QB

It's been said that Tebow cannot be a back-up for Manning, because you need a completely new offense for him. I say that makes no sense; in fact, Tebow may have more value to the team as a back-up than any other back-up in the league. Here's why:

The defense we would have to face now has to prepare for a Manning offense and a Tebow offense, if they see him or not. That extra mental load on the opposition D would be a factor, regardless of Tebow playing. Any time an opponents D spends trying to scheme around a read-option is time not spent on defending Mannings quick strikes....

or they don't prepare for Tebow. And then, if Manning gets hurt, the D is totally un-prepared and we run over them like we did @oak last year. Either way is fine...win/win.

In more generic terms, assume you want QB1 and QB2 to be identical in skill-set, but QB1 is just better. If QB1 gets hurt, your offense automatically downgrades. There are very few NFL QB's that would be qualified to run a Manning offense at a respectable level, so IMO trying to replace Manning would be futile.

However, if QB2 is a completely different type of QB, you can take the offense in a completely different direction, at worst you catch a defense un-prepared. At best, the new offense behind QB2 is just as effective as QB1 offense, just a different style.

That's why I'm not big on drafting option QB to back up Tebow, and I think it's cool to have Tebow back-up Manning. This can work, and work just fine.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
MacGruder

I always thought the Broncos should get some scrub to start a lot of the season just to get in the playoffs.. then let Tebow play all-out in the playoffs.. he is unstoppable when he is playing balls out.

My hope is that Manning plays most the season then gets injured, as he is sure to, then Tebow takes over and takes it home..

Last edited by MacGruder; 03-12-2012 at 09:52 PM..
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
canadianbroncosfan

^
Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I still wonder why this staff thought they needed to change the whole offense for Tebow when that wasn't done the previous season when Tebow played QB those last 3 games. Tebow played about as well as you'd expect from a rookie on a losing team then, and even with the same OC, they felt they had to change the whole offense and put in all of these read option plays and predictable playcalling. But at any rate, with Manning on the team, Tebow will not get many snaps in camp with the starters and that is what I thought would be necessary for him to have a chance to succeed next season. I think it would be hard to expect if Manning signed and got hurt during the season, that Tebow could come in with a new offense and do that great or even better than he has played so far.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Shananahan

We should just have three QBs who each run a different style of offense. Then we'd just have to get the rest of the offensive players to learn all three, and the defense would never know what to prepare for!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I see the Tebowners have progressed from being petulant to actively hoping that a (potential) player on the team gets injured.

Sickening.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
I always thought the Broncos should get some scrub to start a lot of the season just to get in the playoffs.. then let Tebow play all-out in the playoffs.. he is unstoppable when he is playing balls out.

My hope is that Manning plays most the season then gets injured, as he is sure to, then Tebow takes over and takes it home..
You're an idiot. So your plan is to get a scrub to make playoffs so Tebow can play all out. Genius ****twad. You couldn't even run a kids flag football team.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

But Tebow could be a bkup QB, but i doubt he wants to. He wants to start. He won't be happy is some bkup utility role. Send to the Jags for a 2nd round pick and let him try and start. That is if Manning comes. Otherwise just roll with Tebow and play the schoolyard style, keep building the defense.

No Manning I say draft front 7, draft cbs, sign Nicks from NO.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

Dude, I think you have some screws loose
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I don't wish or plan for a starter to get hurt. I look at it a different way.

Manning gives us a true opportunity to get ahead of teams by 21 points or so. In the fourth quarter, that's when you send in the "JV Quarterback." Why couldn't Tebow get some reps throughout the season? Let Manning towel off and send in the kid for a quarter. Not probable, but possible.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
CEH
Ring of Famer

I might be in the minority but I think a condition of Manning signing is Tebow is not on the roster. I think Denver will jettison Tebow and some team who wants to commit to Tim may get a good deal. It may be the best for Tim to go to a team thats wants to build around him
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #12
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon

Quote:

Please, I beg of you... just stop the madness. Leave this forum and never come back. Your dick riding Tebow is unlike anything I've ever seen. You make me dislike the guy purely because he creates freaks like you. And I've always been a fan of #15. You're clearly not a Broncos fan and completely out of touch with reality.

Last edited by hookemhess; 03-13-2012 at 06:33 AM..
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

I hope they keep him, not sure if that is possible due to the fan support for him but he is such a unique weapon in so many situations.

I'd love to see them use Tebow as a wildcat in the redzone, use him as a fullback behind manning with the additional option to throw the ball. You could even use him on reverse passing plays if you really wanted. It would just add another element to the offense that would make it almost impossible to predict, especially when being run by a manning who is making those adjustments at the LOS.
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Batshyt crazy guys the Rev was right
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I just don't see Manning being happy coming out of the game so Tebow can do his thing. With so many teams trying wildcat type of plays, I don't remember the Colts doing much of the that, if any at all when Manning was there. I know I have stated many times Tebow needed a training camp, getting starter reps to help guage just where he is, but sitting and just watching tape for the next 2-3 years just isn't the same as being on the field.

Plus when Tebow is ready to become a free agent about the time Manning retires, do the Broncos really know for sure Tebow is the starter and their QB? Based on what? How he runs the scout team? How much video he watches?

If the Broncos were convinced Tebow was their QB, they would not be going after Manning and I do not see how Tebow can change their minds sitting for 2-3 years. Trade him for what you can and move on.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote