The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default Weighing the Manning Options

Was about to post this in a thread, but I researched some good information, so here you go with a brand spanking new thread.

At first, I figured it was just Elway and Fox doing their due diligence. That said, I'd say we have about a 65 percent chance of landing him.

NFL Network has us listed as the favorites:
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story/...P11_hot_topics

Denver has more cap room than any of the teams he's considering (Jets, Texans both pretty tight), we're in the AFC, unlike the Cards.

Skins traded for RGII and Jets locked up Sanchez, so they're out of the mix.

Texans are at about $3 million under the cap, before signing their own free agents, meaning they would have to do quite a bit of roster jumbling to get Manning.

Cards are in the same boat as the Texans, except they're in the NFC and not currently a playoff contender.... so lets look at the teams one by one:

I put cap room in bold because it could be a deal breaker... if a team does not have enough to sign Manning, then they have to gut the team, meaning the team is actually further away in creating a championship-caliber team. I think the magic number for Peyton is going to be about $16million - $20million a year, meaning the team better be well under that to sign Peyton and upgrade their roster.

Broncos (appx. 50 million cap room)
Pro - The Broncos are in the AFC
Pro - The Broncos are currently a playoff contender
Pro - The Broncos have enough money to sign him and his cronies
Con - The Broncos don't play in a dome
Con - Publicity - deal with Tebow somehow, "substance violations" (hardly worth mentioning the latter)

Cardinals (appx. $12 million cap room) -
Pro - The cards are in a dome
Pro - Manning to Fitz is a wet dream
Con - In the NFC
Con - Not currently a playoff contender
Con - Not a whole lot of cap room (would need a roster shakeup)

Dolphins (appx. $16 million cap room) -
Pro - They are in warm weather
Pro - in the AFC
Con - Not currently a playoff contender
Con - Not a whole lot of cap room
Con - Would have to face Jets and Pats twice a year
Con - Miami dealing with a new coach

Chiefs (appx. $60 million cap room) -
Pro - In AFC
Pro - Currently a playoff contender
Pro - Plenty of camp room
Con - Cassel with a huge contract through 2014
Con - KC is one of the crappiest places to live in the country
Con - KC dealing with a new coach

Texans (appx. $3 million cap room) -
Pro - In AFC, same division no less
Pro - In dome
Con - QB not a huge need for Texans
Con - No cap room to speak of, and signing Manning would deplete other parts of the roster
(They'll have to shake up the roster just to retain Foster and Williams)

Titans, Seahawks and Cowboys are currently dark horses

Last edited by Mogulseeker; 03-11-2012 at 12:04 AM..
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Why would the Cowboys be a darkhorse? They already said they aren't interested and besides, play in the NFC East, where Manning absolutely will not play in.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Why would the Cowboys be a darkhorse? They already said they aren't interested and besides, play in the NFC East, where Manning absolutely will not play in.
That's why I didn't research them at all. Same for the 'skins and the Jets.

I do think that Tennessee is a possibility, though. Seattle could be dangerous with him. They both have the money to do it, too.

Of all the teams he COULD sign with, I think he could help the Broncos the most, and seeing as how most of them are around .500 (with the exception of the Texans, who would have to bastardize their roster to sign Manning), I think the Broncos could be the most dangerous of all his options.

Like the NFLN said, "With a power run game and improving defense, this makes sense." This fixes the Broncos biggest weakness with one fell swoop, and we still have money left over to make the defense and receiving corps even better.

Last edited by Mogulseeker; 03-10-2012 at 11:41 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Also, Manning wants to sign before Tuesday... seeing as how he spent a day and a half in Denver, there is no way he'll be able to visit all the aforementioned places and make a timely decision.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

All I'm arguing is that, weighing the options, the Broncos are the best fit for Manning, therefore, I think that we are the frontrunners.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
All I'm arguing is that, weighing the options, the Broncos are the best fit for Manning, therefore, I think that we are the frontrunners.
Pretty amazing especially since Wednesday I thought we had absolutely no shot. Was just thinking of the cons rather than the pros. And add to that the fact that we will have the money to spend our way out of these holes we have, and adding manning means that "cheap pat" will officially be a thing of the past, I am loving our chances right now.

The mane is really gonna be a hoot if we get Manning.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Chiefs

Pro- Easy to score meth outside the stadium... or anywhere in a 100 mile radius.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Heads are gonna explode big time..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I will be surprised if we don't get him at this point. I think Peyton is out to enjoy the experience of being wined and dined, and sure - he's keeping his options open. But at the end of the day, I think the cap room and flexibility we'll give him to come in and help us build a team around him is going to be enticing. I think we've got a lot going for us that other teams just don't have the ability to provide.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I still think Miami lands him with us finishing second. But I think our chances are growing each day.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #11
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I haven't seen any mention of a Seattle visit, so it has to be MIA, DEN, or ARZ. DEN I think would be the "winner" because of Elway as a guy Manning can relate to and figures he can trust him as a partner. Not that I agree with that partnership at all.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #12
ShutDownPoster
some like it hot

Bell Biv DVOA

Crazy effing weekend! So, how long did Young sit behind a HOF'er until he carved his own HOF career? - Just sayin'!!
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #13
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownPoster View Post
Crazy effing weekend! So, how long did Young sit behind a HOF'er until he carved his own HOF career? - Just sayin'!!
I really don't think it matters.. there is a reason Peytons neck got hurt in the first place Tebow likely won't have to wait long..
Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #14
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I will be surprised if we don't get him at this point. I think Peyton is out to enjoy the experience of being wined and dined, and sure - he's keeping his options open. But at the end of the day, I think the cap room and flexibility we'll give him to come in and help us build a team around him is going to be enticing. I think we've got a lot going for us that other teams just don't have the ability to provide.
While I WANT the Tebow experiment to work out.....I can't say I'd be totally disappointed if we landed Manning.....with the preference of Tebow staying and learning from him (althought it sounds like they'll unload him).

I'm still skeptical of the health, and I still fail to see how/why teams would "build a team around" a guy who's in the twilight of his career, and will likely be out of the league in 2 years.

But, as always.....I'll remain OPTIMISTIC (not necessarily HOPEFUL) about any moves the FO makes.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It will be interesting to see if the Broncos do sign Manning, how many other changes they make to the roster. They really think this team was really great and just needed a better QB or the roster really does need help in quite a few areas?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I really do think it comes down to Denver and Miami. Every other team has issue that are to big to overcome. In Madden type world Denver would rather sign Manning to cap friendly deal with incentives and go big after Mario Williams and Paul Soliai (DT). Then round up the FA class with Dallas Clark and Saturday.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
While I WANT the Tebow experiment to work out.....I can't say I'd be totally disappointed if we landed Manning.....with the preference of Tebow staying and learning from him (althought it sounds like they'll unload him).

I'm still skeptical of the health, and I still fail to see how/why teams would "build a team around" a guy who's in the twilight of his career, and will likely be out of the league in 2 years.

But, as always.....I'll remain OPTIMISTIC (not necessarily HOPEFUL) about any moves the FO makes.
I have similar feelings about the situation. I hope that if Manning comes here we still take a balanced approach to building the rest of the team from the ground up so that when Manning is gone in a few years we're not dead in the water with a ton of older high priced guys.

That was the Shanny approach, trying to patch the ship every year instead of building through the draft and development of young guys.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #18
Dukes
Ring of Famer

I'm wondering if having a new coach will matter to Manning at all. I mean, he's going to put his own offense in place, and he's good enough to completely turn a crap team around that I'm not sure that's a real Con for Miami. I hope I'm wrong. We certainly give him a better chance to win than any other team that's interested.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

How did we get so much cap room?
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #20
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
Xanders The God
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
Lot of expiring contracts and luck.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Lot of expiring contracts and luck.
Not spending money on big name players for many, many years is luck?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #23
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Tebow takes a 1-4 team to the playoffs and suddenly everyone acts like the talent on this roster is world class.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #24
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
More like smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Tebow takes a 1-4 team to the playoffs and suddenly everyone acts like the talent on this roster is world class.
Yup Tebow did it all by himself!!!

Last edited by KevinJames; 03-11-2012 at 08:45 AM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
I'm wondering if having a new coach will matter to Manning at all. I mean, he's going to put his own offense in place, and he's good enough to completely turn a crap team around that I'm not sure that's a real Con for Miami. I hope I'm wrong. We certainly give him a better chance to win than any other team that's interested.
It was mentioned by Mike Florio that the entire idea of being a FA is so foreign to Manning that "it will be critical for the various suitors to establish with Peyton a real connection that will allow him to believe it’s the right move, wherever he ends up moving."

So I think more than how long a coach/FO has been around it will be his gut reaction to how comfortable he will be signing over the rest of his career to them. Given:

1) the unlikelihood that he visits any other team as long as he did Denver

2) our FO is being run by a fellow-HOF QB who played not that long ago and is willing to give him anything he wants

3) our owner is committed to giving him any $ he wants but also isn't known as a douche-bag who needs attention or has to worry about upping ticket sales every couple years

4) our head coach is defensive minded, very laid back (remember a certain Tony Dungy?)

...I can see him feeling pretty good about the situation he'd have. Now, I'm a home of course and other teams will no doubt make an effort to be impressive and friendly too, but it does feel like we've got the lead coming around the turn.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote