The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #26
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
If you look at all the Bronco starter free agents that must be resigned, it doesn't leave a lot of cap space left:

Starters:
Bunkley - $4M-$5M per year
Thomas - $2-$4M per year
Royal - $3M per year
Fells - $1.5M per year
McBean - $1-$2M per year
Colquitt - $1M - $1.5M per year

Reserves:
Woodyard - $2M per year (if I was him I'd go somewhere else to start for more $)
Haggan - $1M per year (if he agrees to take a pay cut)

And what to do with Dawkins? Last year he counted $9M against the cap. Could we resign him for $5M? Hope they don't sign Meriweather to big $. New England cut him for a reason.

That's about $20M gone. Right now the Broncos are at about $94M...that would puot them at about $114M...still needing an MLB.

Bring in Hawthorne at $3M per year, and sign the draftpicks...

CAP SPACE = GONE
The Broncos rolled over $28m from last season and the cap is yet to be set for 2012 and in all likelyhood it'll be more than $120m to help the Raiders/Steelers out and to sort out the franchise tags.

Minimum the Broncos have about $50m in caproom should they need to use it all. Dawkins is also a free agent and if he's ever cleared to play would only come back into the league in Denver for a minimum contract in reality.
eddie mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
Rolandftw

For some reason, I keep reading this headline as: Broncos have cap space, but won't spent wisely
Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
The Broncos rolled over $28m from last season and the cap is yet to be set for 2012 and in all likelyhood it'll be more than $120m to help the Raiders/Steelers out and to sort out the franchise tags.

Minimum the Broncos have about $50m in caproom should they need to use it all. Dawkins is also a free agent and if he's ever cleared to play would only come back into the league in Denver for a minimum contract in reality.
I can't see the Broncos spending any of the rolled over cap unless it is on Manning. The cap is going to be right around $120M. If they spend $148M this year, they would still have to cut down to $120M next year. That whole rollover cap thing is confusing.

I don't think Dawkins would come back for league minimum. I would rather pay Dawkins $4M for one year, than sign Meriwheather to a longterm contract.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
I can't see the Broncos spending any of the rolled over cap unless it is on Manning. The cap is going to be right around $120M. If they spend $148M this year, they would still have to cut down to $120M next year. That whole rollover cap thing is confusing.

I don't think Dawkins would come back for league minimum. I would rather pay Dawkins $4M for one year, than sign Meriwheather to a longterm contract.
They'll have to spend it if Manning comes here, cos he'll be wanting Wayne, Saturday and co as well.
eddie mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #30
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Bunkley - $4M-$5M per year
Thomas - $2-$4M per year
Royal - $3M per year
Fells - $1.5M per year
McBean - $1-$2M per year
Colquitt - $1M - $1.5M per year

Reserves:
Woodyard - $2M per year (if I was him I'd go somewhere else to start for more $)
Haggan - $1M per year (if he agrees to take a pay cut)
Bunkley - wouldn't give him anything more than $3.5M AAV.
Thomas - Got $1M last year, I'd offer him $1.5M at most for next year.
Royal - $1.5M is the most I'd pay a slightly above average punt/kick return guy.
Fells - No interest in bringing him back. Time to let Thomas and Green show what they've got with another young athlete drafted in behind them.
McBean - <$1M or he can walk. Might not even make it through camp if we bring him back.
Colquitt - RFA tender of a 2nd round pick is $1.4M, so that is the absolute most he'd see. Could easily get him to take less per year for a long term deal.
Woodyard - I'd offer about $1M, but not a penny more. I'd like to know what team would let him start though.
Haggan - Not needed back.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #31
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Bunkley - wouldn't give him anything more than $3.5M AAV.
Thomas - Got $1M last year, I'd offer him $1.5M at most for next year.
Royal - $1.5M is the most I'd pay a slightly above average punt/kick return guy.
Fells - No interest in bringing him back. Time to let Thomas and Green show what they've got with another young athlete drafted in behind them.
McBean - <$1M or he can walk. Might not even make it through camp if we bring him back.
Colquitt - RFA tender of a 2nd round pick is $1.4M, so that is the absolute most he'd see. Could easily get him to take less per year for a long term deal.
Woodyard - I'd offer about $1M, but not a penny more. I'd like to know what team would let him start though.
Haggan - Not needed back.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote