The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #2151
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch Stallion View Post
...just wanted to say that you being patient with gabbert is a fresh perspective on young qbs.
I hear ya. But we need a backup and a QBOTF, although I'm certainly not suggesting that Gabbert is the guy for either "job", nor am I advocating that he should be.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #2152
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Appearing on Mike and Mike in the Morning on Monday, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reiterated that free agent quarterback Peyton Manning is “exhausted” after his weekend flights to Denver and Arizona, and not ready to make a decision.

Mort said he’d be “shocked” if Manning picked a new team by Tuesday’s 4 p.m. opening of free agency, and even went so far as to suggest Manning may not sign with a team at all this week.

“He wants to get back into his throwing regimen,” Mortensen stated. “I will be shocked if he has a decision by 4 p.m. tomorrow when the new league year starts. And I might even be surprised if he has a decision this week.”

A week-long delay could hurt the Arizona Cardinals’ chances of landing Manning. Holdover quarterback Kevin Kolb is due a $7 million roster bonus next Saturday. Denver isn’t in such a bind.

Mort didn’t say much about the Dolphins. He seems to agree with colleague Adam Schefter that the Denver Broncos are the favorites to sign Manning.

Regardless, it appears no decision is imminent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eam-this-week/
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #2153
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

^If he's smart about it, he at least gives teams notification of his intentions before FA starts so they can make decisions about their teams. In fact, it's kind of asinine not to do that. He could even mess up the team he intends to go to. What are they supposed to do, guess what their roster might be?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #2154
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
^If he's smart about it, he at least gives teams notification of his intentions before FA starts so they can make decisions about their teams. In fact, it's kind of asinine not to do that. He could even mess up the team he intends to go to. What are they supposed to do, guess what their roster might be?
I don't get it either. And you'd think he'd want to put this decision behind him and move forward rather than continue to agonize over it.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #2155
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Arizona may have to do exactly that because Kolb is due a roster bonus. I'm hoping anyway. Not that it'd be the end of days to see if Tebow's got game.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #2156
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Problem is once teams started making moves, people would figure it all out pretty quickly.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #2157
Drunken.Broncoholic

i think hes waiting to see how much cap space Arizona can get...
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #2158
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I don't get it either. And you'd think he'd want to put this decision behind him and move forward rather than continue to agonize over it.
The ESPN report seemed to indicate that the Broncos are going to folow the same FA plan whether Manning signs or not. I actually think that's a good thing. I'm not necessarily interested in signing a bunch of old vets for a two year run. Stick with smart FA shopping to add depth while placing a strong emphasis on the draft.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #2159
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
The ESPN report seemed to indicate that the Broncos are going to folow the same FA plan whether Manning signs or not. I actually think that's a good thing. I'm not necessarily interested in signing a bunch of old vets for a two year. Stick with smart shopping to add depth and a strong emphasis on the draft.
What else are they going to say at this point. "We're waiting for Peyton, but he NEVER CALLS!?!?! We'll just sit here until he does, because we love him. But he better not be talking to those slutty Dolphins!"
Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #2160
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
What else are they going to say at this point. "We're waiting for Peyton, but he NEVER CALLS!?!?! We'll just sit here until he does, because we love him. But he better not be talking to those slutty Dolphins!"
Well, certainly that report could be untrue. But my point is that I'd like to see us follow the same plan either way. Rather than going after big names like Wayne or Finnegan, I prefer the approach of looking for more cost effective buys, similar to McGahee and Bunkley last offseason. Even with signing Manning, we would still have plenty of cap space to make a series of such moves designed to increase the depth on the club. If Manning doesn't sign, that's still the approach I prefer and expect to see.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #2161
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
The ESPN report seemed to indicate that the Broncos are going to folow the same FA plan whether Manning signs or not. I actually think that's a good thing. I'm not necessarily interested in signing a bunch of old vets for a two year run. Stick with smart FA shopping to add depth while placing a strong emphasis on the draft.
their FA plan originally called for upgrading their QB position anyway...so i dont see how they would change their FA approach since they will look elsewhere for their next QB target once Manning decides or doesnt decide to come here. Their plan isnt to bring in players who run the college offense..
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #2162
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Yeah, but doesn't the team have to know if PM is their guy before they make any deals and spend money? What do all those teams do, set $20 mil aside?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #2163
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
That's the first thing I thought of too.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #2164
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
their FA plan originally called for upgrading their QB position anyway...so i dont see how they would change their FA approach since they will look elsewhere for their next QB target once Manning decides or doesnt decide to come here. Their plan isnt to bring in players who run the college offense..
Knowing Manning may come hrre must be really pissing you raider fans off. Your team couodn't even handle Tebow.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #2165
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Well, certainly that report could be untrue. But my point is that I'd like to see us follow the same plan either way. Rather than going after big names like Wayne or Finnegan, I prefer the approach of looking for more cost effective buys, similar to McGahee and Bunkley last offseason. Even with signing Manning, we would still have plenty of cap space to make a series of such moves designed to increase the depth on the club. If Manning doesn't sign, that's still the approach I prefer and expect to see.
I'd like that too, because the team would be better without Manning, and the hangover would be shorter after Manning should he come here. But that's not likely. Most people don't take a half-assed approach to soul-selling.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #2166
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, but doesn't the team have to know if PM is their guy before they make any deals and spend money? What do all those teams do, set $20 mil aside?
They wouldn't necessarily have to know right away. I mean, think about it. They aren't going to burn through all $45 million or whatever of cap space in less than a week. If Manning drags things on for a couple of weeks Favre style, then it could become an issue. But I doubt that will happen.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #2167
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
their FA plan originally called for upgrading their QB position anyway...so i dont see how they would change their FA approach since they will look elsewhere for their next QB target once Manning decides or doesnt decide to come here.
I think they may well be interested in Weeden ... assuming they are ok with his arm, if Manning goes elsewhere. If Manning comes here, I think they have to look for a vet, like Chad Henne, who doesn't have a huge salary. And then they decide on Tebow.

Since the cap barely went up at all, I'd guess they aren't in a great rush for anyone other than Bunkley, because the dollar market may just not be there like in the past.

Last year showed a little of their philosophy. Miller didn't really show much beyond they correctly identified the guy who would be the best playmaker on defense. But they thought the draft had some depth at safety, linebacker and tight end. They passed on running back and defensive tackle entirely and tried to gain depth in FA without breaking the bank.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #2168
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Knowing Manning may come hrre must be really pissing you raider fans off. Your team couodn't even handle Tebow.
knowing the Gators havent been relevant since must piss you Gator fans off too..
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #2169
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
yeah.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #2170
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
They wouldn't necessarily have to know right away. I mean, think about it. They aren't going to burn through all $45 million or whatever of cap space in less than a week. If Manning drags things on for a couple of weeks Favre style, then it could become an issue. But I doubt that will happen.
Some of the big ticket guys like Mario and Vince Jackson could go before the first hour is up.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #2171
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
knowing the Gators havent been relevant since must piss you Gator fans off too..
Is this post supposed to make sense?

The gators haven't been relevant since we can probably get Manning? Wtf?
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #2172
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Naive. If this team starts anyone other than Tebow or Manning this fall, there will be blood in the streets (figuratively speaking)

Not to mention how completely you'd lose the locker room.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #2173
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I like how you're pretending to be fully on board with the whole Manning thing after blasting me time and time again for suggesting that Elway wasn't sold on Tebow and would work on finding a replacement.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #2174
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Is this post supposed to make sense?
i see you are back at your little oblong cubicle..
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #2175
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Some of the big ticket guys like Mario and Vince Jackson could go before the first hour is up.
We aren't going to be bidding for those types of guys either way. Like I said, I think the MO is going to be cost effective, "moneyball" type buys like McGahee and Bunkley.