The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #4751
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,064

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBuff View Post
Jonathan Hutton@hutton1045

Hearing #Titans and Manning will be in Knoxville tomorrow morning for the workout. Thx to @brentdougherty for assisting with info.
Wow...actually going to THEM for the workout.

Ewww...
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #4752
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,417

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBuff View Post
Jonathan Hutton@hutton1045

Hearing #Titans and Manning will be in Knoxville tomorrow morning for the workout. Thx to @brentdougherty for assisting with info.
He is going to Tennessee, while all the other teams had to go to him? That sounds weak.
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #4753
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
They actually have close to the same cap room as the Titans.
I've seen too many conflicting reports on the 9ers cap space to know what's the truth at this point.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #4754
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31,714

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Dig into those tweets and find this:

Quote:
@3HL1045 @brentdougherty Buzz is that Peyton will be at Father Ryan HS tomorrow for workout. Then signing autographs from 10:30-11:15. True?
so he isn't meeting Nashville and they are coming over to him. Almost neutral except for titans fans.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #4755
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Centennial
Posts: 3,715
Default

He needs more of that toothless Bud Adams under the table special non salary cape incentives.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #4756
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,743

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Honestly I think he wants to play in Denver but waiting for the Broncos to possibly increase their offer. If it was about money only, he would have already signed with the Titans, with them offering a blank check so to speak. Why else would he still not have made a decision? The only thing I can think of that makes sense is he is waiting for the Broncos to up the bid maybe just a little. Of course we don't know the details but it just makes sense to me if it was dollars only, he would have already signed. And from some of the stuff I've heard from ex players, the 1st team they visit during their FA status is usually the team they want to play for, just depends if the money is right. The fact he is going to TEN to workout feels more like he's hoping Denver feels the pressure and ups the stakes.

...or it could be as simple as he just hasn't made up his mind yet. But I think he and his agent knew stringing this out a little could result in a higher paycheck. It's what I would have done.

Last edited by ZONA; 03-17-2012 at 02:20 AM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:34 AM   #4757
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,597

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Honestly I think he wants to play in Denver but waiting for the Broncos to possibly increase their offer. If it was about money only, he would have already signed with the Titans, with them offering a blank check so to speak. Why else would he still not have made a decision? The only thing I can think of that makes sense is he is waiting for the Broncos to up the bid maybe just a little. Of course we don't know the details but it just makes sense to me if it was dollars only, he would have already signed. And from some of the stuff I've heard from ex players, the 1st team they visit during their FA status is usually the team they want to play for, just depends if the money is right. The fact he is going to TEN to workout feels more like he's hoping Denver feels the pressure and ups the stakes.

...or it could be as simple as he just hasn't made up his mind yet. But I think he and his agent knew stringing this out a little could result in a higher paycheck. It's what I would have done.
PM visited with San fran first no?

Last edited by Broncos_OTM; 03-17-2012 at 03:46 AM..
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #4758
Durango
Ring of Famer
 
Durango's Avatar
 
Woodsman

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Durango
Posts: 1,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Honestly I think he wants to play in Denver but waiting for the Broncos to possibly increase their offer. If it was about money only, he would have already signed with the Titans, with them offering a blank check so to speak. Why else would he still not have made a decision? The only thing I can think of that makes sense is he is waiting for the Broncos to up the bid maybe just a little. Of course we don't know the details but it just makes sense to me if it was dollars only, he would have already signed. And from some of the stuff I've heard from ex players, the 1st team they visit during their FA status is usually the team they want to play for, just depends if the money is right. The fact he is going to TEN to workout feels more like he's hoping Denver feels the pressure and ups the stakes.

...or it could be as simple as he just hasn't made up his mind yet. But I think he and his agent knew stringing this out a little could result in a higher paycheck. It's what I would have done.

Don't think so. I think he entry of the 49ers into the bidding process brought everything to a screeching halt.

The 49ers are ready-made for a championship. The only missing piece is an elite QB.

I honestly believe the 49ers will sweep in and take the prize.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #4759
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Man nine pages away from 5,000 posts on this parade. Is free agency like this every year here?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #4760
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
Man nine pages away from 5,000 posts on this parade. Is free agency like this every year here?
Yes and no. The whole Manning thing is an abnormality but pretty much everyone is usually pissed off for one reason or another.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #4761
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
Man nine pages away from 5,000 posts on this parade. Is free agency like this every year here?

lol...

Wait until Draft day...
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #4762
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
If Manning can turn the Broncos into a SB contender by just being on the roster, would this not hold true for any team he would go to, regardless of who would have to be cut to make room for him?

Ahh...but couldn't one argue that SF already is a SB contender without Manning? Alex Smith had them very close this past year, did he not?

Granted, Manning probably gets that team into SB....at least it's a valid argument, and if that was his sole motivating factor, he'd have probably already signed with them .....but according to alot of naysayers on here, his ego is driven by money, at least more so than titles....hence the nickname PayaTon.

I think he will make any team outside of GB, NO, and NE better.....as he has few peers when it comes to playing QB.

But Peyton on the Broncos, with the cap space they have can become a perrenial contender as they surely will try to surround him with better players. SF more than likely will have cut a player or two that may be one of the better players at their respective position.....just to make sure they can afford him.

If, as the vast majority of those whining about us pursuing Manning are correct in their talent evaluation of our roster, we have alot of "holes". (odd how they don't think QB is one of them, but....)

SF on the other hand has very few if any correct?

.....so if Manning is this huge ego, money grubbing guy a lot on here claim he is, then by that logic he will sign with us vs. SF as we will be able to pay him his loot, and possibly get him "his" kind of players.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #4763
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,340

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Ahh...but couldn't one argue that SF already is a SB contender without Manning? Alex Smith had them very close this past year, did he not?

Granted, Manning probably gets that team into SB....at least it's a valid argument, and if that was his sole motivating factor, he'd have probably already signed with them .....but according to alot of naysayers on here, his ego is driven by money, at least more so than titles....hence the nickname PayaTon.

I think he will make any team outside of GB, NO, and NE better.....as he has few peers when it comes to playing QB.

But Peyton on the Broncos, with the cap space they have can become a perrenial contender as they surely will try to surround him with better players. SF more than likely will have cut a player or two that may be one of the better players at their respective position.....just to make sure they can afford him.

If, as the vast majority of those whining about us pursuing Manning are correct in their talent evaluation of our roster, we have alot of "holes". (odd how they don't think QB is one of them, but....)

SF on the other hand has very few if any correct?

.....so if Manning is this huge ego, money grubbing guy a lot on here claim he is, then by that logic he will sign with us vs. SF as we will be able to pay him his loot, and possibly get him "his" kind of players.
is he supposed to play for league min.? the going price for someone of his caliber is around 20 mil.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #4764
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
is he supposed to play for league min.? the going price for someone of his caliber is around 20 mil.
If all he cared about was winning SB, then he would go to team with more talent, for considerably less $$$$.....which is SF.

I'm guessing he wants to have his cake and eat it too....more $$$$, on team that can acquire supporting cast. to win SB....which is Denver.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #4765
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,340

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
If all he cared about was winning SB, then he would go to team with more talent, for considerably less $$$$.....which is SF.

I'm guessing he wants to have his cake and eat it too....more $$$$, on team that can acquire supporting cast. to win SB....which is Denver.
he is good enough to have his cake and eat it too. wherever he goes he is going to get paid big. SF is fully aware of the asking price.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #4766
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,916

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

"the top three now are Tennessee, San Francisco and Denver. The Broncos, considered favorites last weekend, apparently are third this weekend.

One source who has been accurate during the process told The Post that Manning remains undecided but will make his choice by early next week. He will have thrown for all three teams by then; the money offer is virtually the same; he has been impressed with each for a variety of reasons; and he has purged the teams he didn't want to finish his career with"

Read more: Woody Paige: Broncos' brass still in pursuit of Peyton Manning - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...#ixzz1pNl5kDX1
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #4767
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.
 
Rulon Velvet Jones's Avatar
 
Tight Butthole

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 6,692

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default

Klis and Woody need to get on the same page.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #4768
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 
The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,784
Default

Peyton Manning with his supporting cast would win 12 to 14 games. Denver would rule the AFC West for a couple years. We would also likely have a losing playoff record. That's only if Manning is still in his prime.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #4769
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
he is good enough to have his cake and eat it too. wherever he goes he is going to get paid big. SF is fully aware of the asking price.
I agree.....his services will not come cheap. All I am saying is we won't have to let a very good player go to pay him....SF probably will have to let one or two (maybe more) go , if his asking price gets up there as many have speculated.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #4770
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 15,107
Default

Trying to put together a timeline here:

Wednesday, March 7: Manning released by Colts. Within a matter of hours, Manning’s agent reportedly contacted by 12 teams, including Redskins, Seahawks, Cardinals, Broncos, Jets, Dolphins and Chiefs. Conflicting reports about whether the Titans were active at this point. Other four teams unknown, but in retrospect, it’s highly likely that SF was one of them.

Friday, March 9. Jets and Redskins drop out. Supposedly, Manning rejects Redskins because they were in same division as Giants. Skins trade the farm to St. Louis for #2 draft spot to get RGIII. Jets reportedly rebuffed for unknown reasons and immediately offer Mark Sanchez a contract extension. On same date, Manning visits Broncos, stays overnight.

Saturday, March 10. Seahawks supposedly attempt to lure Manning to a meeting and even have plane waiting at Denver airport, but are rebuffed and drop out. Denver Post and KC Star indicate that Chiefs request for meeting was also declined.

Sunday, March 11. Manning visits Cardinals. Bud Adams goes ballistic and Tennessee increases its efforts. KC Star reports that same day that 49ers and Dolphins may be active in the race.

Monday, March 12. ESPN reports that Manning was done visiting teams, except for Titans. Dolphin brass visit Manning for several hours in Indianapolis, however. More rumors that 49ers are still interested.

Tuesday, March 13. Date of reported meeting & workouts for 49ers in North Carolina. (which at the time was unreported) Meanwhile, Texans disavow interest in Manning, stating they’d rather retain Mario Williams.

Wednesday, March 14. Manning meets with Titans in Nashville. Adams reports he offers a “contract for life.”

Thursday, March 15. Manning calls Miami to let them know they are out of it (presumably so they can pursue other QB options).

Friday, March 16. Broncos fly to North Carolina to watch workout. Arizona notified that they are out of it (presumably so they can make their decision about Kolb). Appears as though it’s a two team race until people learn that Manning worked out for 49ers on Tuesday and that they are still in it. Manning states he’ll schedule workout (Saturday?) for Titans and that he’ll probably make decision by March 19 or 20.

... If this is at all accurate, then I'm not sure that the 49ers were really all that stealthy. There were plenty of rumors that they were interested and in the mix for almost a week now.

Manning did not visit them. We don't know whether they invited him, but it's hard to imagine they didn't try.

The other teams that either worked out Manning or interviewed or hosted him were notified they were out of the race only when they really needed to make decisions about other QBs.

I think it's completely up in the air as to which of the final three he signs with and I just can't believe that money won't be a huge factor.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #4771
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I've seen too many conflicting reports on the 9ers cap space to know what's the truth at this point.
PFT claims these are good numbers as of 3/15:

...These are not PFT calculations or estimates, but information regarding the official cap space obtained from a source with knowledge of the numbers...

Broncos: $40.0 million.

Bengals: $38.9 million.

Seahawks: $28.6 million.

Titans: $26.2 million.

Jaguars: $24.8 million.

49ers: $23.5 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-of-march-15/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #4772
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
BabyTO's Avatar
 
^ Winner

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 713

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
I agree.....his services will not come cheap. All I am saying is we won't have to let a very good player go to pay him....SF probably will have to let one or two (maybe more) go , if his asking price gets up there as many have speculated.
tebow helped us win the division last season even though we started 1-5, we made the playoffs and we dont have a losing record in the playoffs with tebow at QB.

now we're trying to kick him out in order to get a guy who basically keeps losing in the playoffs. good job elway! you're genius among monkeys!
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #4773
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,340

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTO View Post
tebow helped us win the division last season even though we started 1-5, we made the playoffs and we dont have a losing record in the playoffs with tebow at QB.now we're trying to kick him out in order to get a guy who basically keeps losing in the playoffs. good job elway! you're genius among monkeys!
we don't have a winning record either in the playoffs. Manning has won a SB.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #4774
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTO View Post
tebow helped us win the division last season even though we started 1-5, we made the playoffs and we dont have a losing record in the playoffs with tebow at QB.

now we're trying to kick him out in order to get a guy who basically keeps losing in the playoffs. good job elway! you're genius among monkeys!

I love Tebow and his drive. I think there's potential for a really big upside w/him.

That said, this is a no-brainer. Manning is worth the look.

Had we gone after every available Free Agent QB looking for a replacement for Tim, I'd agree w/you.

Manning is not every QB.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #4775
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
...Manning worked out for 49ers on Tuesday...
And I think it was only Harbaugh, rather than multiple people like the Broncos sent to dook yesterday.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Denver Broncos