The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #4626
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
agreed. the article I linked was from this morning thats why im assuming its after all that.

So then assuming that they have $15 million - and that they get no other free agents, you still have to consider that they have to reserve $5 million for their rookies.

That leaves $10 million for them to throw at Manning this year. This is a joke when Denver is offering him in the neighborhood of $42 million in year 1 with $30 of that being up front.

San Francisco is not a player in this. No way in hell.

This is between the Titans and the Broncos.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #4627
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Man its been real quiet on the Manning front today, any news? [sarcasm]
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #4628
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Man its been real quiet on the Manning front today, any news? [sarcasm]

We brought in some competition at kicker
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #4629
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

What I could see - maybe - is San Francisco cutting players to get enough cap to offer Peyton a one year, $30 million dollar deal. Nah. But I have a hard time believing that he'd be comfortable with that. He doesn't want to go through this all again next year.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #4630
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Discreet? They have a contract offer for smith on the table before manning sweepstakes started. Baalke said they were NOT interested in manning then. Smith has made no effort to sign it. So they put on pressure. This doesn't look like discreet genius play to me. It sounds pretty standard for Jed York.
Or maybe they just wanted to bump the Cards out of the race by extending the timeline.

Can't imagine a division rival doing something like that, though.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #4631
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

This is almost as bad as the blackout round in Survivor.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #4632
rideco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
So then assuming that they have $15 million - and that they get no other free agents, you still have to consider that they have to reserve $5 million for their rookies.

That leaves $10 million for them to throw at Manning this year. This is a joke when Denver is offering him in the neighborhood of $42 million in year 1 with $30 of that being up front.

This is the way I see it too. We just need to chill out and enjoy bball all weekend. Let Manning do the aniv. thing with his wife this weekend and talk it over with her. We can then start stalking the broncos private jet on Monday to pick him up for the presser. Chill ppl chill.
rideco
Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #4633
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Or maybe they just wanted to bump the Cards out of the race by extending the timeline.

Can't imagine a division rival doing something like that, though.
Ha that's a great way to look at it. This happened Tuesday so it certainly dragged the timeline past the cards deadline.

Could be what "unexpected" meant in the cards press release.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #4634
BroncoBeavis

Quote:

I guess I don't understand how 5/90 contract talk suddenly means 42 million in the first year.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #4635
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Forget about the cap people because it isn't an issue for any of the 3 teams. Sure we have double what the others have but it only becomes an issue in 2012 depending on how you structure contracts.

As for someone mentioning $68m in the first 2 seasons that was taken from Klis with his comments regarding Peyton's last deal with the Colts which had been due to pay $62m in 2011 and 2012 combined and $68m through the 3 seasons. No idea how they managed to get that out of any new contract offer to Condon.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #4636
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I guess I don't understand how 5/90 contract talk suddenly means 42 million in the first year.
Broncos are giving him around 60 in the first 2 years. Niners can't do that. Manning won't actually play 5 years. That's assuming they are.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #4637
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I don't get any of this. Just looking at this strait up, the niners can't do it. There are guys that get paid lots of dough to manipulate the cap though, so I guess it can be done. Funny part is, the niners just got released from a 10 year salary cap prison sentence and they want to go back so soon? Repeat offenders and all I guess....
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #4638
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Ha that's a great way to look at it. This happened Tuesday so it certainly dragged the timeline past the cards deadline.

Could be what "unexpected" meant in the cards press release.
“Since the end of last season, we made it very clear that our plan was to head into 2012 with Kevin Kolb and John Skelton, let the process play out and — like at every position — go with the quarterback who gives us the best chance to win.

“Obviously something very unique and unexpected presented itself. We’ve said it many times: If there’s an opportunity to make our team better, we’ll explore it. … In the end, it didn’t work out, but from our perspective it was very positive and we certainly don’t have any regrets about it.”

-------------------

Wow this could be the Broncos press release next. "Unexpected" I read as Manning being available and willing to meet with you. Manning was available but didn't want to meet with CHiefs or Seahawks so you never know until Peyton says so
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #4639
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

None of this is going over very well with the Cardinals fans.

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=60544

Feeling like they were "used for leverage" while Manning was in secret negotiations with a division rival.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #4640
Drunken.Broncoholic

CEH I see it in full context now.

I still wouldn't put it past harbaugh to screw up a division rivals plans.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #4641
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I remain baffled about what this front office has done wrong, in this situation and in the general case.

I see a team that has gotten measurably better in the last 12 months. I see a front office attempting to make a big move (and not afraid to fail publically if that what it takes) to put this team over the top.

And yet it's a parade of b****ing here.

Color me confused.
They have accomplished exactly a Mike Adams signing above where the Bengals are right now. They are the Bengals and Mike Brown and his merry band of bunghole blowers are a punch line and these guys are right there with them. They're falling all over themselves to impress the Prom queen and they're going to be left going home alone to punch the munchkin reeking of despair and failure. Just like Bob does.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #4642
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I remain baffled about what this front office has done wrong, in this situation and in the general case.

I see a team that has gotten measurably better in the last 12 months. I see a front office attempting to make a big move (and not afraid to fail publically if that what it takes) to put this team over the top.

And yet it's a parade of b****ing here.

Color me confused.
I don't get it either. We're actually in position to be players in the greatest free agency hunt in NFL history. The fact that we're even in position is awesome, but add that we're actually going full throttle - I can't understand the complaints. Elway is sending a message to the league,the players, and the fans that he'll do whatever he thinks it takes to win a Superbowl now. What exactly is the problem here?

It's like people don't like the idea that John Elway is going to try to win the Superbowl every year that he can. Have people forgotten that John Elway only cares about winning Superbowls? I don't understand the malfunction happening in our fanbase over this.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #4643
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
I don't get it either. We're actually in position to be players in the greatest free agency hunt in NFL history. The fact that we're even in position is awesome, but add that we're actually going full throttle - I can't understand the complaints. Elway is sending a message to the league,the players, and the fans that he'll do whatever he thinks it takes to win a Superbowl now. What exactly is the problem here?

It's like people don't like the idea that John Elway is going to try to win the Superbowl every year that he can. Have people forgotten that John Elway only cares about winning Superbowls or something?
I'm hoping our only problem will be the equipment guy having to deal with a custom sized helmet for Mannings pumpkin head.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #4644
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:

It's like people don't like the idea that John Elway is going to try to win the Superbowl every year that he can. Have people forgotten that John Elway only cares about winning Superbowls? I don't understand the malfunction happening in our fanbase over this.
Our FO is getting pumped, chumped, then dumped while ignoring other FA possibilities, signing one mid level safety, and generally just going through the motions with the rest of FA. The guy costs too much, we have numerous holes to fill, we're being used as leverage, we're getting jerked around for over a week, our FO is jet setting about with a paparazzi trail that would make the Kardashians jealous, we got shown up by Bud Adams, and they won't get their guy because SF has come in, like ninjas, and taken their prize. They drank John's shake.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #4645
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
I'm hoping our only problem will be the equipment guy having to deal with a custom sized helmet for Mannings pumpkin head.
Put a face mask on a bath tub. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #4646
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:

The complaint is simple TJ

They put everything else on hold for Manning.

When a team has near $50m in caproom you expect them to be at least a little aggresive in free agency, yet we put every other position on the team on the backburner, now I can live with that with offensive personnel but not defensive, because the acquistion of Manning shouldn't affect the defense in anyway whatsoever.

We are currently sitting with 2 DT starters who played 0 games between them last year and both are major injury concerns, we still have Andre Goodman as a starting CB, Dawkins by all accounts is retiring, sure we brought in an average safety to compete with Moore but it is nowhere near good enough. LB concerns across the board aside from Von Miller, the list is endless and although signing McClain would be a start the 2 other players Trufant and Hayes were 2 of the worst starters at their position in the league last year and Trufant has a serious injury history.

My point is if you want Manning in to win you a Superbowl you better strengthen other areas of the team, Denver haven't even looked near that at any level worth making note of.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #4647
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:

Considering the number of Tebow fans pretending to be bronco fans... I'm not real surprised by the reaction.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #4648
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Win
Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #4649
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Our FO is getting pumped, chumped, then dumped while ignoring other FA possibilities, signing one mid level safety, and generally just going through the motions with the rest of FA. The guy costs too much, we have numerous holes to fill, we're being used as leverage, we're getting jerked around for over a week, our FO is jet setting about with a paparazzi trail that would make the Kardashians jealous, we got shown up by Bud Adams, and they won't get their guy because SF has come in, like ninjas, and taken their prize. They drank John's shake.
But none of this is even remotely true. It's just you barking belligerently into a keyboard. We have no idea how this is going to turn out.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #4650
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

I hold a different (yet highly unpopular opinion) that the broncos were not going to over pay for any of the big free agents except manning. I don't think we missed out on anything. In fact, I believe the guys that we targeted (with a few exceptions) are mid level upgrades at key positions and we will fill the rest with fresh draft talent. (See Fleener) I don't think the front office had any intention of paying guys like Mario Williams peyton Manning money because that signing wasn't going to put us over the top. You only spend that kind of money if the signing is going to be the final piece you need to be a contender.