The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #4526
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
If SF ends up landing this thing, they will have put on a Front Office clinic.

Not even a peep of controversy around them being in the sweepstakes while the other players in the race run around beclowning themselves.

If anything, it already proves that you didn't need to create an EFX style 3-ring circus to have a chance at Manning.
So they said "we are behind Alex smith 100%" SEVERAL times this offseason.

Didnt tebowites get upset after the broncos front office did the same thing by saying tebows "our guy"
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #4527
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoemaker View Post
I really don't see how the FO has created a "3 ring circus" at all. They contacted Manning's agent and brought him in for a visit last week, which from all accounts was fairly low-key. They then allowed him to go visit other teams and began outlining the structure of a contract with his agent. Beyond that, we've barely heard a peep from them until today, when they organized a workout with Manning that, by Elway's account, was productive.

I'm not denying that the whole Manning thing HAS been a circus, but I fail to see how EFX are to blame for it. They were the first ones to bring him in, started talking contract, and met with him to watch him throw. It's not like they pulled a Bud Adams and got the governor to call him or starting offering him front office positions.
EFX is feeding people like Klis (and others) That's why they sound so sure about themselves while often being completely wrong. They're only getting one side of the story, and it's because our FO is blabbing all over town.

Harbaugh flew to Raleigh on Tuesday and nobody even knew about it until now. I'd laugh in the general direction of anyone who thought our dog-and-pony show FO could've pulled that off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #4528
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 49,271

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
who are the boobies?
As in the Titans. Contract frame work is in place at all 3 teams.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #4529
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football
 
bfoflcommish's Avatar
 
GO..........BRONCOS

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mile High
Posts: 3,514

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Bronco View Post
On top of that, the niners just resigned rogers.
i think the 15-18 is after rogers, but I could be wrong
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #4530
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer
 
rbackfactory80's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 4,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
So they said "we are behind Alex smith 100%" SEVERAL times this offseason.

Didnt tebowites get upset after the broncos front office did the same thing by saying tebows "our guy"
At least they were kind of discreet.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #4531
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
EFX is feeding people like Klis (and others) That's why they sound so sure about themselves while often being completely wrong.
only non-idiotic thing you've said in about three months
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #4532
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,491

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
i think the 15-18 is after rogers, but I could be wrong
I haven't been able to find a straight answer on that. I'm going under the assumption it is. I don't believe that number accounts for Randy Moss. Or maybe that's why the number is so often cited as $15-$18.

I wish there was one centralized salary cap resource. It's such an important part of the game - why can't the league get this stuff right and out in the open?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #4533
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
At least they were kind of discreet.
Discreet? They have a contract offer for smith on the table before manning sweepstakes started. Baalke said they were NOT interested in manning then. Smith has made no effort to sign it. So they put on pressure. This doesn't look like discreet genius play to me. It sounds pretty standard for Jed York.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #4534
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 11,157

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

I hate our FO. the only thing they do well is step on their own *****.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #4535
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
So they said "we are behind Alex smith 100%" SEVERAL times this offseason.

Didnt tebowites get upset after the broncos front office did the same thing by saying tebows "our guy"
I can see what you're saying, in spirit.

But Alex was a free agent. He had a contract put in front of him and he didn't sign it. Had he done so, the 49ers wouldn't be in this game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #4536
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football
 
bfoflcommish's Avatar
 
GO..........BRONCOS

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mile High
Posts: 3,514

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I haven't been able to find a straight answer on that. I'm going under the assumption it is. I don't believe that number accounts for Randy Moss. Or maybe that's why the number is so often cited as $15-$18.

I wish there was one centralized salary cap resource. It's such an important part of the game - why can't the league get this stuff right and out in the open?
agreed. the article I linked was from this morning thats why im assuming its after all that.
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #4537
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,678
Default

The Niners are the best team by far, they have a legacy better than ours and a fan base almost as good, their coach is another ex-Colt QB who just spent years in the college game learning how to recruit, and you're nuts if you don't think Randy Moss will play hard for Peyton Manning. With Peyton they aren't just super bowl favorites, they are a solid step ahead of the Packers and two steps ahead of everyone else. If they don't **** it up, there is no reason for Peyton to even consider anywhere else. Alex Smith overestimating his own value after years and years of awful play and a choke job in the NFCG is the best thing he's ever done for the Niners.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #4538
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I can see what you're saying, in spirit.

But Alex was a free agent. He had a contract put in front of him and he didn't sign it. Had he done so, the 49ers wouldn't be in this game.
Thats the thing. They are interested as a result of a reaction, not cause they were truly 100% interested in manning.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 03-16-2012 at 03:39 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #4539
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
The Niners are the best team by far, they have a legacy better than ours and a fan base almost as good, their coach is another ex-Colt QB who just spent years in the college game learning how to recruit, and you're nuts if you don't think Randy Moss will play hard for Peyton Manning. With Peyton they aren't just super bowl favorites, they are a solid step ahead of the Packers and two steps ahead of everyone else. If they don't **** it up, there is no reason for Peyton to even consider anywhere else. Alex Smith overestimating his own value after years and years of awful play and a choke job in the NFCG is the best thing he's ever done for the Niners.
You can polish them all you want. They still play in the highway 101 toilet bowl.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #4540
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
You can polish them all you want. They still play in the highway 101 toilet bowl.
Oh, and I forgot: if he sticks around, he'll even get to christen a new stadium. And then win a super bowl in it.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #4541
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,491

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
EFX is feeding people like Klis (and others) That's why they sound so sure about themselves while often being completely wrong. They're only getting one side of the story, and it's because our FO is blabbing all over town.

I think it's a mistake to believe that Klis is only talking to one source. Klis talks to a LOT of sources - and from what I like to hear, Klis likes to talk. If i were to take an educated guess, it would be that Klis talks to Xanders - probably has him on text and cell. He, of course, talks to everyone at the Post including Woody and Kisla, all of which have contacts of their own. I'm sure he's got some inroads with some agents - whether he has a direct line to Condon or not - I couldn't guess. Some of the agents have specific go-to guys (ie. Schefter). I'm certain he talks to Les Shapiro, who if you follow Les at all, it's pretty clear to me that he talks to Elway himself. I'm also sure that Klis has reporter contacts in other cities. He's getting a lot of input to process.

I get it though - people bashed Schefter when he was here; some of it was deserved. It goes with the territory. Frankly, I like the job Klis does. I think he's a good home local reporter, who like Schefter, people will miss when he's gone.

Last edited by Taco John; 03-16-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #4542
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
only non-idiotic thing you've said in about three months
Thanks man. Progress!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #4543
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Oh, and I forgot: if he sticks around, he'll even get to christen a new stadium. And then win a super bowl in it.
You are saying Peytons gonna be playing in 2015? You are crazy to think they will even finish that stadium by then with all the regulations in Cali.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #4544
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,420

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
You can polish them all you want. They still play in the highway 101 toilet bowl.
for only 2 more years
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #4545
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 11,157

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Oh, and I forgot: if he sticks around, he'll even get to christen a new stadium. And then win a super bowl in it.
I wouldn't mind seeing our guys get out of this with some dignity.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #4546
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,442
Default

The whole thing is giving me a headache.

49ers have an offer on the table for Smith at the same time that they are secretly flirting with Peyton (despite the fact that Smith and Manning have the same agent).

Ouch.

When exactly did this secret workout take place? Wasn't Manning in Nashville that day? Is that why his trip was delayed?

Ouch.

Where is SF finding the cap space? Oh, and they not only signed Moss, but are also bringing in Manningham and Lloyd as well?

Ouch.

Bud Adams basically tells the world that he's going to circumvent the salary cap by giving Peyton a future office job, but the only jobs that pay that much are the jobs of the guys ordered to recruit him?

Ouch.

Manning tells Miami they are out on Thursday, but the Cards aren't eliminated until Friday, at the last moment.

Ouch.

Denver's front office drops everything to fly out and do a physical, and when it's over, Manning's body language says "hey let's just be friends"

What?

Denver is still in it. But no they aren't because SF is an automatic super bowl favorite. But they don't have money. But Denver does. But suddenly SF does too. And the Titans see it all as a courtesy, because he can't turn them down without being a turncoat / traitor even though he's spent his whole career beating them up.

And meanwhile, Denver, which has the 2d most salary room of any team in the NFL, has signed one lower to middle level free safety. And they aren't the least concerned.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #4547
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,420

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
You are saying Peytons gonna be playing in 2015? You are crazy to think they will even finish that stadium by then with all the regulations in Cali.
Odds are good he won't be around for it's opening, but he may be. In the meantime, the Broncos don't have that question, so it's a good point.
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #4548
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 
"Buy in, or get the hell out."

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 2,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Discreet? They have a contract offer for smith on the table before manning sweepstakes started. Baalke said they were NOT interested in manning then. Smith has made no effort to sign it. So they put on pressure. This doesn't look like discreet genius play to me. It sounds pretty standard for Jed York.

The way most are spinning it, Smith didn't sign the contract because he has the same agent as Peyton, and was advised to wait. If the deal is small enough, they could deal Smith if they were able to land Manning.

Smith is on record as sayin the 3 year deal is fair....so, why not sign it?....

Smith doesn't want to sign until the Manning thing is decided.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #4549
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 11,157

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
The whole thing is giving me a headache.

49ers have an offer on the table for Smith at the same time that they are secretly flirting with Peyton (despite the fact that Smith and Manning have the same agent).

Ouch.

When exactly did this secret workout take place? Wasn't Manning in Nashville that day? Is that why his trip was delayed?

Ouch.

Where is SF finding the cap space? Oh, and they not only signed Moss, but are also bringing in Manningham and Lloyd as well?

Ouch.

Bud Adams basically tells the world that he's going to circumvent the salary cap by giving Peyton a future office job, but the only jobs that pay that much are the jobs of the guys ordered to recruit him?

Ouch.

Manning tells Miami they are out on Thursday, but the Cards aren't eliminated until Friday, at the last moment.

Ouch.

Denver's front office drops everything to fly out and do a physical, and when it's over, Manning's body language says "hey let's just be friends"

What?

Denver is still in it. But no they aren't because SF is an automatic super bowl favorite. But they don't have money. But Denver does. But suddenly SF does too. And the Titans see it all as a courtesy, because he can't turn them down without being a turncoat / traitor even though he's spent his whole career beating them up.

And meanwhile, Denver, which has the 2d most salary room of any team in the NFL, has signed one lower to middle level free safety. And they aren't the least concerned.
But this flirtation didn't cost us anything, right? I hated this from the beginning. Elway just got drug around by his Johnson. I am stoked to hear about all the "value" we got out of FA.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #4550
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,491

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Peyton has to know what a huge risk John Elway is taking here. That's the message today had to carry:

'I've put my reputation and career here on the line here, and I have to most to lose if this falls through. I've been where you are, I know what it takes to go out on top, and I'm committed to taking you there. Here's our updated roadmap of free agency once you sign, along with a couple new ideas we want to run by you. And here is a $90 million dollar contract. Wanna toss the ball around for a bit?"
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:35 AM.


Denver Broncos