The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #4351
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
One thing you have to understand is the top guys like Manning and Brady get a lot of pressure from the NFLPA to maximize their market value because it sets the market for other players. Brady got a lot of **** back around 2005 or thereabouts when he took a 6 year $60 million deal that was viewed as being below his market worth. It's not just a matter of Manning being greedy.
I think Manning could careless about the NFLPA. He has 3-4 years left in him and he wants to win superbowls. He is filthy rich... the only reason he is risking his health is for his legacy. Of course it wont come cheap because he knows his value. But if he is true... he would sign with the better team. Even if it means taking a bit of less money. Brady knows that his contract gives him and his team a better chance to win. He doesn't care about old men pushing him to be greedier for the sake of future FA. He is a winner. He gets it. John Elway got it in his last years.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #4352
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Yeah, it's not Peyton. He'd happily hand over the millions, but he doesn't wanna get the old evil eye from the union rep.

Meanwhile his teammates make less money to make room for him. Apparently they're more benevolent than the NFLPA.

Besides, payroll figures are soon to have a floor and a ceiling in place for a long long time. Encouraging QB's to eat more and more of that just makes less pie available for everyone else.
I'm not saying that Peyton doesn't want to get paid, I'm just telling you the realities of the pressures they face in terms of not taking "discounts." And you're wrong....salaries at every position are on a constant upward trend, not just QBs. The NFLPA wants to keep it that way. What if Manning signs with San Fran for $12 million a year? Brees is sitting in New Orleans trying to negotiate with the Saints. Manning has just given leverage to the Saints front office with Brees. You think that would make him popular with the other players? You're ignorant if you can't see that that's how it works.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #4353
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I will never understand the fans complaining about the money. It isn't your money and the team has the cap room.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #4354
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Brilliant in that we've only got $15 left to fill more holes than we can count. Brilliant in that we're paying more than anyone else could HOPE to pay?

Sounds insane to me.
Pffft... Only $15 million...

I get it. You don't want this deal to go through. Fine. But don't be an idiot over it.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #4355
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideco View Post
So what are 49'ers cap numbers??
rideco
Carlos Rogers just ate up 5 mil yesterday.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #4356
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
I will never understand the fans complaining about the money. It isn't your money and the team has the cap room.
Season tickets are free?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #4357
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I'm not saying that Peyton doesn't want to get paid, I'm just telling you the realities of the pressures they face in terms of not taking "discounts." And you're wrong....salaries at every position are on a constant upward trend, not just QBs. The NFLPA wants to keep it that way. What if Manning signs with San Fran for $12 million a year? Brees is sitting in New Orleans trying to negotiate with the Saints. Manning has just given leverage to the Saints front office with Brees. You think that would make him popular with the other players? You're ignorant if you can't see that that's how it works.
Pay is now tied to league revenues. The NFLPA represents far more other players than QB's. QB's driving up their share of the salary cap automatically means less pay for everyone else.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #4358
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Season tickets are free?
They cost the same amount whether Peyton Manning signs, or whether we miss him.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #4359
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
I think it's more about all that money going to one player instead of using it on other players who can help the team win. No one is complaining about maxing out the cap, it's more of how the money is being used.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #4360
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Season tickets are free?
Yes. Why, do the raiders charge you for theirs?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #4361
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Pffft... Only $15 million...

I get it. You don't want this deal to go through. Fine. But don't be an idiot over it.
How much will it cost for a #2 wideout?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #4362
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I think it's more about all that money going to one player instead of using it on other players who can help the team win. No one is complaining about maxing out the cap, it's more of how the money is being used.
Yeah, but all the whining ignores the fact that we carried over nearly $30 million dollars from last year. That money no longer vanishes - it carries over. Spending that carry over money on talent like Peyton Manning is not a bad move at all.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #4363
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
How much will it cost for a #2 wideout?
What's Decker making? That's how much.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-eric-decker/
Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #4364
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I get this, I just don't think we are near maxing out the cap with the Manning signing. He would have to take like 40+ mil this season to accomplish that.

This is all based on my understanding of our current cap space. I have seen confpicting reports and could be wrong here.

Last edited by jhns; 03-16-2012 at 01:05 PM..
Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #4365
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Pay is now tied to league revenues. The NFLPA represents far more other players than QB's. QB's driving up their share of the salary cap automatically means less pay for everyone else.
What the hell are you talking about? QBs have always earned more than players at other positions. The salaries for every other position continue to rise as well. And that will only continue once the new TV money kicks in next season. Eddie mac posted the figure the other day, but the cap is expected to increase substantially next season (and thus the continued upward mobility of salaries all around).
Old 03-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #4366
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The Flynn thing was a joke. That's why I put the little smilie next to it.
Meanwhile, I was only half joking...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #4367
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonFletcher73 View Post
The way Klis said that those are the parameters hopefully was just deceiving.

What would Winston's actual cap # for 2012 be though?
No idea but he wants to be the highest paid RT in the league.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #4368
Drunken.Broncoholic

Make no mistake. Just cause niners give the best chance it's still about money. Manning is putting up a greater risk of paralysis than the average player. He's gonna play for plenty of money. If it comes down to more money or best chance to win it's the money based on his risk of wheelchair futures
Old 03-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #4369
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Yeah, but all the whining ignores the fact that we carried over nearly $30 million dollars from last year. That money no longer vanishes - it carries over. Spending that carry over money on talent like Peyton Manning is not a bad move at all.
I guess this is Denver's ace card in their negotiations.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #4370
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? QBs have always earned more than players at other positions. The salaries for every other position continue to rise as well. And that will only continue once the new TV money kicks in next season. Eddie mac posted the figure the other day, but the cap is expected to increase substantially next season (and thus the continued upward mobility of salaries all around).
You're missing the point. The salary cap no longer has anything to do with how much players can drive up their salaries. The cap is based on REVENUE. So from a players' perspective, it is essentially fixed.

One player making more equals other players making less. Whether the cap goes up or down is irrelevant. The NFLPA would have no interest in watching QB's eat up as much of that cap as possible. Because it hurts everyone else.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #4371
brom66an6
Solid Starter

Quote:
That's my whole concern with it is that for that price we could fill multiple of our other needs instead of addressing one need when we don't even know for how long this would shore up our QB situation. It seems a little suspicious how he wants most of the money in the first two years, to me thats a red flag. Who knows he may not plan to play more than those two years if his neck even allows that much.
brom66an6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #4372
rideco

Quote:
Make no mistake. Just cause niners give the best chance it's still about money. Manning is putting up a greater risk of paralysis than the average player. He's gonna play for plenty of money. If it comes down to more money or best chance to win it's the money based on his risk of wheelchair futures
Oh its about the Money. And if they say its not about the money its still about the Money.... We just need Peyton to get on that plane today....
rideco
Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #4373
Drunken.Broncoholic

Niner fans calling in all day saying they don't want manning. Saying this is just leverage to lower smiths contract. Condon gets paid either way.

Kolb gets his millions.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #4374
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You're missing the point. The salary cap no longer has anything to do with how much players can drive up their salaries. The cap is based on REVENUE. So from a players' perspective, it is essentially fixed.

One player making more equals other players making less. Whether the cap goes up or down is irrelevant. The NFLPA would have no interest in watching QB's eat up as much of that cap as possible. Because it hurts everyone else.
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #4375
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

When will this prick make up his mind? Dude had 5 full days BEFORE FA even started, now we're 3 full days into FA.

I'm disgusted with the prick already and he's not even on the team. F him.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote