The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #801
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Tigers sweep the White Sox and are tied for the division lead.

Justin Verlander pitched a gem tonight.

8 innings 4 hits 1 ER 2 BB 11 Ks.

Delmon Young with some more clutch hitting....his 3 run bomb gave the Tigers the lead in the 6th inning.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #802
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

That series was crucial for Detroit....they get swept and they would be down 6 games in the division....instead, they swept the series and are all tied up.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #803
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Tigers called up OF Avisail Garcia from Double-A Erie for the series and I like what I've seen from him thus far.

21 year old Venezuelan kid....looks like he could be Miguel Cabrera's younger brother.

Both are 6'4 and 240 pounds and they look a lot alike.

Pretty good speed for his size.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #804
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Ugh. Why do I get the feeling that series might be the beginning of the end?

I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #805
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Ugh. Why do I get the feeling that series might be the beginning of the end?

I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I am not too worried yet, we struggled with them last time we played then went out to a 3 game lead until recently. I am more worried about playing them head to head in the playoffs should we make it that far.

Either way it has been a great year for the Sox and one I will remember for a long time. Some great clutch wins and comebacks, Ventura is doing well for a 1st time coach. Detroit has the talent, they should be up 5 games or more on the rest of the division and here we are in Sept tied for the division lead.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #806
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I am not too worried yet, we struggled with them last time we played then went out to a 3 game lead until recently. I am more worried about playing them head to head in the playoffs should we make it that far.

Either way it has been a great year for the Sox and one I will remember for a long time. Some great clutch wins and comebacks, Ventura is doing well for a 1st time coach. Detroit has the talent, they should be up 5 games or more on the rest of the division and here we are in Sept tied for the division lead.
True. Before the season, I thought the White Sox would win about 75 games. We've overachieved either way, but since they are so close and have been on top for most of the season, I'd like to see them get into the postseason. They could do some damage with Sale and Peavy if they got in. I do agree though that Detroit's roster is superior and they should have been alot better than they have been so far...unfortunately they are playing well when it matters.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #807
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
True. Before the season, I thought the White Sox would win about 75 games. We've overachieved either way, but since they are so close and have been on top for most of the season, I'd like to see them get into the postseason. They could do some damage with Sale and Peavy if they got in. I do agree though that Detroit's roster is superior and they should have been alot better than they have been so far...unfortunately they are playing well when it matters.
You have to feel great about what the White Sox have done this year. I think most people had them picked around .500 like you, and to have seen them rise to the top out of Detroit and Cleveland...and THEN match every win and loss Detroit had for the past month. That's a strong team, right there. You may be right about the talent level not quite being to Detroit's but...all the talent in the world doesn't help you if you don't win games.

Hopefully for me, the Tigers use this as an opportunity to put some distance between them and the Sox, and that the Sox don't make the playoffs. I'd prefer not to see them after the last game of the regular season. But either way, you've got to feel good about what they've done this year, and how they'll be next year.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #808
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Chipper Jones. That is all.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #809
houghtam
Ring of Famer

MVP Update:

Mike Trout: 458 AB, 152 H, 22 2B, 6 3B, 26 HR, 74 RBI, 48 BB, 108 K, .332 AVG, .396 OBP, .570 SLG, .966 OPS

Miguel Cabrera, 520 AB, 172 H, 34 2B, 0 3B, 34 HR, 113 RBI, 57 BB, 74 K, .331 AVG, .397 OBP, .592 SLG, .990 OPS
Old 09-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #810
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Tigers sweep the White Sox to tie for the lead in the division....and then they come out and play flatter than an old 2 liter against the Indians.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #811
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Tigers sweep the White Sox to tie for the lead in the division....and then they come out and play flatter than an old 2 liter against the Indians.
Tonight the WS are getting their ass kicked 10-4 by the Twins...and it isn't over yet. Twins are hitting anything and everything.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #812
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Now it is 11-4
Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #813
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Tigers sweep the White Sox to tie for the lead in the division....and then they come out and play flatter than an old 2 liter of Rock n Rye against the Indians.
Fixed your post.

Ugh.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #814
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Now it is 11-4
Yeah, I saw they got 7 in just the 2nd inning alone. This whole division is garbage.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #815
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I walked away then came back and it is now 17-4 Twins!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #816
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Yeah, I saw they got 7 in just the 2nd inning alone. This whole division is garbage.
The White Sox need to read Gene's Tough and Competent speech.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #817
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Fixed your post.

Ugh.
Nothing wrong with a Faygo reference.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #818
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

the O's are back in a 1st place tie with the Spankees.

go O's!

Last edited by Gort; 09-05-2012 at 11:57 AM..
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #819
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I'm hoping the O's can win the East, and heck the Rays jump the Yankees too. That would be freakin amazing.
I just don't think the O's can hold on for 20+ more games though. They are playing above their asses right now.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #820
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
I'm hoping the O's can win the East, and heck the Rays jump the Yankees too. That would be freakin amazing.
I just don't think the O's can hold on for 20+ more games though. They are playing above their asses right now.
Everyone said this after May. I don't know how but they are rolling. Adam Jones hadn't had a HR in eons and they still were hanging tough.

As for MVP race in the AL, it might come down to where the Angels and Tigers finish. Also, stats don't tell the whole story. Trout is a lead off hitter who missed the first month while the Angels sucked eggs. He will be the next 30-30 guy and possibly 40-40 guy as he already is past 40 stolen bases.

BTW, how can the Reds not call up their stud stolen base player? He broke VInce Coleman's record for minor leagues and could be used just as a pinch runner.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #821
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
MVP Update:

Mike Trout: 458 AB, 152 H, 22 2B, 6 3B, 26 HR, 74 RBI, 48 BB, 108 K, .332 AVG, .396 OBP, .570 SLG, .966 OPS

Miguel Cabrera, 520 AB, 172 H, 34 2B, 0 3B, 34 HR, 113 RBI, 57 BB, 74 K, .331 AVG, .397 OBP, .592 SLG, .990 OPS
Again, we keep on trying to remind you Tiger fans, you can't simply just throw the cumulative basic stats as a basis for your argument with Trout and Cabrera.
Trout missed the first 20ish games, Cabrera has like 100 more plate appearances. Of course he will have more hits, doubles, etc.
With the Angels most likely not going to make the playoffs from the look of things, I'm guessing that will weigh considerably against Trout unless the Tigers also fail to make the playoffs.

Also, Trout's WAR is 9.2.
Cabrera's WAR is 6.2

Thats a pretty big difference in case you were wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Everyone said this after May. I don't know how but they are rolling. Adam Jones hadn't had a HR in eons and they still were hanging tough.

As for MVP race in the AL, it might come down to where the Angels and Tigers finish. Also, stats don't tell the whole story. Trout is a lead off hitter who missed the first month while the Angels sucked eggs. He will be the next 30-30 guy and possibly 40-40 guy as he already is past 40 stolen bases.

BTW, how can the Reds not call up their stud stolen base player? He broke VInce Coleman's record for minor leagues and could be used just as a pinch runner.
Maybe for service time, delay that for Hamilton? I don't know, but it seems like he would be a good September call up for them.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #822
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

FElIx
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #823
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Again, we keep on trying to remind you Tiger fans, you can't simply just throw the cumulative basic stats as a basis for your argument with Trout and Cabrera.
Trout missed the first 20ish games, Cabrera has like 100 more plate appearances. Of course he will have more hits, doubles, etc.
With the Angels most likely not going to make the playoffs from the look of things, I'm guessing that will weigh considerably against Trout unless the Tigers also fail to make the playoffs.

Also, Trout's WAR is 9.2.
Cabrera's WAR is 6.2

Thats a pretty big difference in case you were wondering.
Meh....dudes that hit .330 with 40 HRs and 130+ RBIs generally win MVP awards....those are called Albert Pujols MVP type seasons.

Trout has had an awesome year, but he is starting to level off and is hitting around .280 since August 1st.

Actually, it will probably come down to what both of their respective teams do down the stretch run.

If Detroit takes a steaming dump and misses the playoffs and Mike Trout and the Angels make it, he probably deserves it.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 09-05-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Old 09-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #824
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

As for the Baltimore Orioles....I'd love to see them win the American League East.

If Detroit misses the playoffs, or gets beat in them, I'll be rooting for the Orioles if they get in.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #825
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Meh....dudes that hit .330 with 40 HRs and 130+ RBIs generally win MVP awards....those are called Albert Pujols MVP type seasons.

Trout has had an awesome year, but he is starting to level off and is hitting around .280 since August 1st.

Actually, it will probably come down to what both of their respective teams do down the stretch run.

If Detroit takes a steaming dump and misses the playoffs and Mike Trout and the Angels make it, he probably deserves it.
It's called sample size. Yes, Trout has played in fewer games. But baseball proves every year that you are what you are. Now that the sample size has been enlarged, perhaps Trout really isn't the .340 hitter all the fanboys think he is.