The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #101
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
this is the Michael Turner situation again.
I don't think Bush is considered nearly the caliber of player Turner was when he became an FA.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #102
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Most running backs cut a lot of weight to make their 40 time better for the combine.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #103
TerrElway
Pro Bowler

OrangeFlack knows what he's talking about. Turbin is the leading rusher in USU history I believe as well as breaking the all time TD record. He did it in 3 years. He did it with 2 other stud backs taking carries each game as well as part of a 3 headed running attack in a single back offense.

He ran a 4.47 40 recently (4.41 was his unofficial run) was tops in squat and 2nd in bench. He caught the ball well also and was a big part of the passing game the last 2 seasons at USU. He caught 67 passes for over 800 yards and 11 TDs as well in his 3 years. That goes with his damn near 3500 yards rushing and 40 rushing TDs.

He had a knee injury 2 years ago but had no problems since and ran away from plenty of defenses. He is big and strong enough to move the pile and make his own hole but fast enough that if he gets to the edge you can usually kiss him good bye. USU was a run oriented offense so teams were looking to stop run first and he still put up numbers.

On top of that he is a solid citizen and a star athlete that went to class and showed up for his shifts at his off season job.

His injury in the past will be what holds him back. He doesn't turn the ball over. Not sure where that came from earlier in the thread. He's had 4 fumbles in close to 600 rushing attempts and lost only 1.

He's been compared by some scouts as a lighter, quicker version of the Charger's Mike Tolbert.

I'd love to see him in Orange and Blue. I think he has a chance to go in the second but I think 3rd round is where he goes.

By the way - Utah State hey Aggies all the way! GO AGGIES GO AGGIES HEY HEY HEY!!!
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #104
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
No he won't. Not even close. That would put him amongst the top 3 highest paid backs in the league. For a guy with no 1000 yard seasons and a measly career per carry average of 4.2, that's utterly crazy.

Bush does not compare favorably to DeAngelo Williams or Michael Turner, by the way...
in what way does Bush not compare? aside from not being the featured back like Williams, he has played in a 2 back system, has played well and at many times outplayed one of the better backs in the league. his situation is a lot like Turner's. split carries with the star player, but also received notice for his play.

Bush is going to get paid big this offseason. i say more than likely at least as much as Williams but probably a little more. there are so many teams that need a good RB and he is the best that will be available.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #105
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I don't think Bush is considered nearly the caliber of player Turner was when he became an FA.
it might be my bias towards the guy, because i wanted the guy in Denver when he cam out of college, but i truly believe that in a run oriented offense he would be one of the top 5 backs in the game.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #106
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
it might be my bias towards the guy, because i wanted the guy in Denver when he cam out of college, but i truly believe that in a run oriented offense he would be one of the top 5 backs in the game.
That's fair, particularly since Bush has actually been more productive than Turner was before leaving SD for Atl. I just remember a sentiment that Turner was a stud being "held back" by being behind Tomlinson, but I suppose a similar argument could be made about Bush sharing carries in Oak his whole career.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #107
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

Quote:
in what way does Bush not compare? aside from not being the featured back like Williams, he has played in a 2 back system, has played well and at many times outplayed one of the better backs in the league. his situation is a lot like Turner's. split carries with the star player, but also received notice for his play.

Bush is going to get paid big this offseason. i say more than likely at least as much as Williams but probably a little more. there are so many teams that need a good RB and he is the best that will be available.
Don't know if you saw my earlier post but, it is great to have another UT State Alum on board
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #108
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Sorry for not talking Turbin anymore, RaiderH8r.
No worries. We're talking rb position now and that was really my goal.

I would like to see us have the ponies to tote the rock 45+ carries/game. Just roll over and wear people out and we are going to need depth. I figure we pick up a fa rb but I still like this Turbin guy. He has intangibles.

I like the speed. I like the size. I like the downhill style. No fancy feet and easy takedown...looking at you Knowshon and I think if we get him in the 4th we hand in the card wearing a ski mask because it will be robbery. A grab in 3 and I get squishy. At 2nd round I think we h ave too many other holes to fill. However, I reserve the right to change that position based on fa acquisitions ahead of the draft.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #109
TerrElway
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecklenburg77 View Post
Don't know if you saw my earlier post but, it is great to have another UT State Alum on board
Graduated in '96. If orangeflack is who I think it is, he's a USU alum too. As is tyrant. There may be others.
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #110
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

He has really good footwork from what i see, the kind that makes the defenders stop for a split second before he either busts them in the mouth or slips through a seam and runs for daylight.
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #111
Tyrant
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrElway View Post
Graduated in '96. If orangeflack is who I think it is, he's a USU alum too. As is tyrant. There may be others.
Yes, another proud USU alum.

Agree with TerrElway, I cannot, in any way, give an unbiased reasonable analysis of Turbin. I'm too much of a fan boy. Kid helped turn around one of the worst D1 football programs to something respectable. Such a good guy with a great story.

If the Broncos draft this kid, I'll order a jersey before the day is over.
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #112
Ronnie Tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post

If the Broncos draft this kid, I'll order a jersey before the day is over.
As will I. ****, I'd go all out and go authentic. I am that sure that this kid is the real deal. I can only imagine what NFL training would do for him. He'd be leaner, meaner, he'd have a thicker lower body. More explosive. And once he learns to block, he'd be a PERFECT 3rd down back, with his 9 3/4 inch hands. (Only 2 backs in this year's draft class have bigger hands.) Of those backs, he is the most natural pass catcher. With his ACL injury two years ago, I can see that some people are concerned with taking him. Keep in mind that we run a 2 back system, and he'd be less prone to injury. Greek could do him wonders.

He plays well against top competition, despite his small school stature. This is a kid that would be a 1st rounder if not for an ACL injury and a small program. What separates him from other "small school" prospects is that he plays against top level talent, and does more than hold his own.

2011- Only notable opponents
2 TD's vs. Auburn
123 Yds, TD vs. BYU (#20 ranked run defense in '11)
Missed '10 with injury

2009- 4 biggest games
#19 Utah- 143 Yards, 1 TD
Texas A&M 121 Yards, 1 TD
BYU 104 Yards, 1 TD, 4 Catches, 116 Yards, 2 TD (#24 ranked run defense in 2009)
Boise State 75 Net Yards, 1 TD

Kids a baller.

Last edited by Ronnie Tsunami; 02-29-2012 at 08:03 PM..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #113
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

So, would you target him at the end of the 2nd or the end of the 3rd?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #114
Ronnie Tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So, would you target him at the end of the 2nd or the end of the 3rd?
Personally? Yeah. I would be happier to use a 3rd rounder on him, obviously. Do I think he has the potential to go round 2? Yes, otherwise I wouldn't have made a bet with a fellow 'maner that he'd go by pick 64.

Obviously, though, the majority of draftniks have the guy as an emerging 3rd rounder. Like, right now. I just think that his stock will continue to rise the way it has over the last week, and by April he could be taken in the 60 range.

Like Stephen Hill, all it will take is one team that falls in love with his stuff in the 2nd round. You can make the same case for ANY player, but there are few knocks against this kid other than pass blocking and injury concerns in fact, those are the only knocks against him according to Scouts Inc. (I like referencing them, they are reliable) Few prospects have this much upside, and few small school players have performed THIS well against upper level teams. You cannot find a knock against him in the running game. Powerful. Quick. Fast. Good vision. Good hands. Studesville's dream back. (Studesville has never drafted a RB under 217 lbs, drafted a 220+ lb back 4 of the 4 other times, or 3 of 3 other times, something like that)

Also, Fox's dream back. Fox has selected a running back in the 1-2nd round 3 times in Carolina. 1 guy was 235, 1 was 217, 1 was 215.

And I'll keep saying it.. I think experts are impatiently waiting for somebody else to make the first move, to rank him in their top 5 (edit: RB's), as to avoid scrutiny. It's one thing to rank a smaller school prospect in the top 5, it's another to do so in a RB class as loaded as this one in the 2nd round.

Last edited by Ronnie Tsunami; 02-29-2012 at 08:40 PM..
Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #115
Ronnie Tsunami

https://twitter.com/#!/MaxBroncos/st...54965383163905

Quote:
Utah State RB Robert Turbin says he spoke with the Broncos last night.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #116
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Nice. Would like to see him in Orange and Blue.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #117
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I'll have to admit, Turbin looks like a badass.

I have to assume that they did promise Peyton the "solid run game" component to the offense. I would think if they wanted Turbin, it would have to be with our second rounder (I think he is a low second/high third pick). If they truly believe he can split carries with McGahee next year then be our future starter i'm all for it.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #118
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Can he pass block?
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #119
Ronnie Tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
Can he pass block?
it's his biggest weakness, and that's a staple of ever manning back, unfortunately. even joseph addai, however, who the colts drafted in '06, was a marginal at best blocker coming out of school.

Quote:

Joseph Addai Grade: 4.06
Position: RB
Class: Sr
School: Louisiana State
Conference: Southeastern
Ht., Wt.: 5-11.5, 214
40 Time: 4.41
Selected by: Indianapolis Colts
Round 1, pick 30 (30 overall)
Grading System

BIO: LSU.s feature back as a senior after sporadically playing with the first team the prior two years. Rushing totals included 187/911/9 with 20/180/1 receiving. Posted 680 yards on the ground as a junior and career-best receiving numbers of 26/294/4.

POSITIVES: Explosive running back moving up draft boards. Patient runner with outstanding instincts, vision and speed. Makes defenders miss in the open field, deceptively strong and breaks tackles. Keeps his feet moving up the field and in short-yardage situations. Fast enough to beat defenders around the corner. Solid receiver who adjusts to the errant throw and catches the pass with his hands.

NEGATIVES: Runs with an upright style. Marginally productive as a blocker.

ANALYSIS: A high-motor player who does the extras to become better, Addai is slowly developing a complete game. Coming off a terrific senior campaign and solid postseason, he is poised to become a starting ball carrier at the next level.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #120
ghwk
Ring of Famer

DOUBLE JESUS MUTHER EFFERS!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Be Smokin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
Can he pass block?
No, but if you put an "e" on the end of his last name it's Turbine and that's pretty cool!
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #121
ghwk
Ring of Famer

DOUBLE JESUS MUTHER EFFERS!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Be Smokin

"NEGATIVES: Runs with an upright style. Marginally productive as a blocker."

Anytime i read "runs upright" I cringe.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #122
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Pimp.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lucas Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Looks like I'm late to this thread, but wanted to throw in my two cents anyway:

Cent #1: running backs always get drafted later than you think.

Cent #2: By my count, there are four backs that will surely go before Turbin (Richardson, Wilson, Martin, Miller), and another seven that will probably be drafted before him (not gonna list them, 'cause I don't want to show my hand in the OM Mock Draft). That puts him no better than the late-3rd round, and if I had to guess right now, I'd say he's more likely to be drafted in the 5th.

I'm OK with the Broncos picking him up in the 4th (he looks like he could fill a niche on our team), but the 3rd would be a reach, IMO.
Round 1 (pick #03): Trent Richardson
Round 1 (pick #31): Doug Martin
Round 1 (pick #32): David Wilson
Round 2 (pick #61): LaMichael James
Round 3 (pick #67): Ronnie Hillman
Round 3 (pick #84): Bernard Pierce
Round 4 (pick #97): Lamar Miller
Round 4 (pick #106): Robert Turbin

BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #123
DENVERDUI55

Damn I sure wished Denver would of picked this guy instead of Hillman. In fact I would rather have any of the backs drafted in the first 4 rounds of that draft over Hillman. Denver needs to target big physical RB's like Seattle not the little fleas like Hillman.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #124
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Damn I sure wished Denver would of picked this guy instead of Hillman. In fact I would rather have any of the backs drafted in the first 4 rounds of that draft over Hillman. Denver needs to target big physical RB's like Seattle not the little fleas like Hillman.
hmm..so you are saying that you know more than our GM..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #125
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I saw Turbin go down after some pretty simple contact and arm tackles. I understand he was injured and recovering and not the same player at the moment, but other than his impressive physique, what has he done to warrant a preference on our team?

Just like Hillman he is young and in his second year at the NFL level. I liked Turbin and his tape, but fact remains he's a Seahawk.

I have seen the improvement in Hillman, starting with developing an NFL Body, he is still the youngest player on our team FWIW. I have seen improvement in his running style, I just don't understand the early hate..