The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #76
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Are we buyers for Turbin in the second? Do we move to get him?
No. I love the kid, but he doesn't represent the value in the 2nd that a Sean Spence (or numerous other defenders) does.

Love him in the 4th. Not seeing it in the 2nd.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #77
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Combine Current
Darren McFadden 211 210
Rashard Mendenhall 225 225
Jonathan Stewart 235 235
Jamaal Charles 200 199
Matt Forte 217 218
MagicHef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #78
Bronco Yoda

You said possible....now you're saying common.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #79
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
well here's the thing- said case would never happen. there are too many prospects for that to happen- and if there were 50 prospects who entered in the nfl with that weight, the league average would also baloon and that guy would technically be undersized.

also, many DT's trim weight coming out of college. not all put on weight.

as for corners, if a class (again, around 40-50 kids ever had an average of 4.35, then yes, a 4.45 would be slow compared to an average player, because there has been a huge influx that would alter the league average.
That's not the point. I know it would never happen, I was just trying to illustrate why I find basing your evaluation of a player off the performances of his draft classmates to be questionable.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #80
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

This thread is 90% argument over a player being 2% bigger than the NFL average at RB.

This place is the awesome.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #81
Shananahan

Personally, I hope we make a run at Bush in free agency and sign him to a four or five-year deal without overpaying. In addition to that I also hope we draft a guy in the second, third or fourth rounds to add to the stable. I've lost all confidence that Moreno will ever be anything more than he's shown, have no confidence that McGahee will be able to stay healthy at a level comparable to last season and don't expect Lance Ball to morph into something remotely impressive. Fanin's a wildcard, and I'm done getting my hopes up about White at the goal line.

I haven't extensively scouted anybody that I didn't watch play last season and don't really plan to, but I like Turbin, Polk, Martin and Wilson enough to not complain. I probably like James more than most, but only later than he'll be around. If I had to choose right now, gimme Martin. I won't really mind whoever, though, as we need fresh, talented legs and I'll find a reason to get excited about whoever they draft anyway.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #82
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I'd like for Denver to sign Bush. I think it would depend on cost though. And if they could draft Wilson or Rainey...

Ooh boy.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #83
Shananahan

Yeah. I should have said, 'without overpaying too much'. I doubt Rice or Lynch get loose, so Bush will probably be the best available and there are multiple teams who could use him.

I'm normally anti-FA RB, but I feel OK about Bush. Plus, fuck Oakland.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #84
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
I don't want 4.5 ish power back with durability concerns. We have a decent power back to split carries with in McGahee. What I want is a sub 4.5 40 speed back with vision that's able to cut and go and catch an edge and get those 10, 15, 20 yard runs on 3rd and 3. I basically want prime Clinton Portis without the flavor.
that would be nice. but the power back we have currently probably doesn't have much left in the tank, and if you think about our HC preference in RBs it is highly unlikely this team drafts a LaMichael James type of back. look at Fox's track record, most of his backs have been big strong runners, usually in the 6ft and 220lbs+ range. Fox seemingly prefers power and ball control backs who break yardage at a consistent 4-5 yards an attempt, as opposed to smaller backs who rely on speed and get dropped for loss more often than they break the long run.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #85
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Yeah. I should have said, 'without overpaying too much'. I doubt Rice or Lynch get loose, so Bush will probably be the best available and there are multiple teams who could use him.

I'm normally anti-FA RB, but I feel OK about Bush. Plus, fuck Oakland.
Bush is going to get PAID this offseason. i would love to get him in Denver, i wanted him here coming out of college, but i seriously doubt Denver would be willing to pay him the massive deal he will be looking for.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #86
Shananahan

I haven't paid enough attention or done the research to have a frame of reference for what Bush will be looking at.

I could stomach a five-year deal worth about $30-40 million. Too low?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #87
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
I haven't paid enough attention or done the research to have a frame of reference for what Bush will be looking at.

I think it would be. Some team will overpay. I hope its not Denver though...

Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #88
Shananahan

So here's a handy resource: http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/running-back/

How about a six-year deal for $45 million, similar to what Williams signed last year? I can't really see how he could ask for comparably more than that.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #89
Shananahan

Sorry for not talking Turbin anymore, RaiderH8r.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #90
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

this is the Michael Turner situation again. Turner got a deal that was something like 6years, 35 million with 15 million guaranteed. and that was in 08. figure Bush should get at least that amount, but considering inflation and the recent deal Adrian Peterson got, 7 years, 100 million and about 40 million guaranteed, you should probably expect Turner to want a deal paying him an average of 10 million a season. so a 5 year deal for 50 million with probably 20-23 million of that guaranteed is what it will take to lock him up.

if we could get him to take a 5 year deal in the 30-40 million dollar range that would be great.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #91
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
So here's a handy resource: http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/running-back/

How about a six-year deal for $45 million, similar to what Williams signed last year? I can't really see how he could ask for comparably more than that.
i think the wear and tear factor is going to come into play with Turner. he has been the 2nd back, the change of pace and give McFadden a rest guy. Williams has been the main guy for the most part. Williams had good deal more wear and tear on him than Bush does now. i think with Williams averaging about 8.5 million a year, Bush will command in the neighborhood of 10 million a year.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #92
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Looks like I'm late to this thread, but wanted to throw in my two cents anyway:

Cent #1: running backs always get drafted later than you think.

Cent #2: By my count, there are four backs that will surely go before Turbin (Richardson, Wilson, Martin, Miller), and another seven that will probably be drafted before him (not gonna list them, 'cause I don't want to show my hand in the OM Mock Draft). That puts him no better than the late-3rd round, and if I had to guess right now, I'd say he's more likely to be drafted in the 5th.

I'm OK with the Broncos picking him up in the 4th (he looks like he could fill a niche on our team), but the 3rd would be a reach, IMO.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #93
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
"chances are."

i counter: "chances aren't"

see how disappointing arguments like this are?
You've convinced me.
broncogary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #94
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i think with Williams averaging about 8.5 million a year, Bush will command in the neighborhood of 10 million a year.
No he won't. Not even close. That would put him amongst the top 3 highest paid backs in the league. For a guy with no 1000 yard seasons and a measly career per carry average of 4.2, that's utterly crazy.

Bush does not compare favorably to DeAngelo Williams or Michael Turner, by the way...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #95
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
I would trade our 2012, 13, and 14 first rounders to draft Emma Stone.
Damn. I didn't realize Jim Carrey posted here.....
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #96
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Damn. I didn't realize Jim Carrey posted here.....
Repped for semi-obscure Jim Carrey creeper-vid reference.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #97
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
No he won't. Not even close. That would put him amongst the top 3 highest paid backs in the league. For a guy with no 1000 yard seasons and a measly career per carry average of 4.2, that's utterly crazy.

Bush does not compare favorably to DeAngelo Williams or Michael Turner, by the way...
I agree he will not go for big dollars.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #98
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Wilson is my favorite back in this class, but I'm just not into sinking heavy resources into the position this off-season with the amount of holes we have elsewhere on this roster. I think we can eke another solid year out of Willis. I think JJ has some upside and I'm not sure why he didn't see more time towards the end of last year.

I'd love Rainey in the 4th. I think that type of back can add a lot to our current offense and STs, and in the 4th he's got value. His 40 has to be a little disappointing, I think most expected a sub 4.4, but he's still fast and has a lot of versatility.

Then next year look to add a feature back after we've addressed some more pressing needs this year.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #99
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Combine Current
Darren McFadden 211 210
Rashard Mendenhall 225 225
Jonathan Stewart 235 235
Jamaal Charles 200 199
Matt Forte 217 218
You would also have to take into account preseason weight vs post season. Just saying
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #100
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

You would think most RBs lose around 10lbs during the season.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote