The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

Default Elway says Broncos to spend more than Cap in 2012

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19971672
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Each year, the Broncos' cash budget for player salaries always has been around 95 percent of what the NFL lists as the salary cap. Cash versus cap? Say the Broncos gave Von Miller a five-year contract with a $10 million signing bonus. The 2011 salary cap figure is $2 million because that $10 million can be spread out equally over the length of the five-year contract. While that $10 million can be reduced for cap purposes by accounting, it's real money.

Read more: Elway says Broncos to spend more than NFL salary cap in 2012 - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1mUbWIv5P
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Uh oh! SoCal is not going to enjoy facts getting in the way of his burn-Bowlen-Brigade.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I don't understand how they let Prater become a FA. He should have had a contract offer during the season for many more years to come.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Uh oh! SoCal is not going to enjoy facts getting in the way of his burn-Bowlen-Brigade.

You posted something that I have been thinking about for quite some time now. Whether or not you posted this on purpose or by mistake. You did not write down SoCal-Broncofan..... which I have been in doubt of for quite some time. Is he really a Broncos fan I can understand not posting on the mane, but all be does is complain about the owner, the new QB AND praises our below average LB named dj williams, Makes me wonder if he is just another in the long line of trolls on this once proud fan website.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Good now address the D-line
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
You posted something that I have been thinking about for quite some time now. Whether or not you posted this on purpose or by mistake. You did not write down SoCal-Broncofan..... which I have been in doubt of for quite some time. Is he really a Broncos fan I can understand not posting on the mane, but all be does is complain about the owner, the new QB AND praises our below average LB named dj williams, Makes me wonder if he is just another in the long line of trolls on this once proud fan website.
I think a majority of the best football conversations I've had on the Mane over the past 9 years have involved SoCal. He's always been one of my favorite posters, and was clutch with the camp reports. His Bowlen bashing is extreme, but I have friends who are more stuborn on sillier issues.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
He's mad about Cutler being traded and Shanny being fired so he's blaming Bowlen. He still has good takes.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
.... but didn't it seem like his pitchforks and torches "storm the ramparts" philosophy grew louder and louder, and just as it reached its crescendo, boom! Orton was gone and TT was in. Seemed kinda that way to me actually.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I don't understand how they let Prater become a FA. He should have had a contract offer during the season for many more years to come.
Yea! I agree but didn't the hit and run thing (stripper) just happen. Public relations nightmare.
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Yep, that Socal's a first rate A-hole!

His choices in baseball and hockey blow too
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
He's mad about Cutler being traded and Shanny being fired so he's blaming Bowlen. He still has good takes.
He has good takes unless it involves DJ. He thinks DJ can walk on water or something. It's pretty bad.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
extralife
Ring of Famer

you guys are really dumb

of course they'll spend more cash than the cap. if they sign, say, Prater and then give out two deals with signing bonuses to just about anyone (including Bunkley), that alone combined with the people currently on the roster and the rookie pool would be more "cash" than the salary cap. and we'll still be $25 million under the cap, but Elway will have duped you because you are stupid.

Last edited by extralife; 02-15-2012 at 06:30 PM..
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I have to agree. Whomever buys this BS from the Broncos is a little short sighted. Elway essentially said nothing.

The Broncos are $50 million under. Yes they will spend the cap amount...because, they will sign 80 guys. Then, once they trim down to 53...they'll be (like has become the norm around here) $30m under.

This team has gone Cheap. Don't accept it if you don't want to. It's the truth.

Next year, they will be in trouble....because they will be forced to spend at least 89% of the cap. That's when, we will see some guys signed to decent contracts...because they'll be forced to.

Don't expect anything to happen this year. This is Bowlens last big savings year!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

He basically means they'll spend another $50m-$60m this year cos they're already accounting for $70m cash in 2012 on player salaries/roster bonuses etc etc. About $10m of that will go on rookies unless we trade up and have to pay a bigger signing bonus. Pick 25 normally nets around $2.5m-$3.5m cash in the first year. Depending on how many of our own we bring back you could be talking $20m-$35m on re-signing our own free agents, leaving maybe enough money for 1-2 big/mid-tier signings, who knows.

Last edited by eddie mac; 02-15-2012 at 06:34 PM..
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Elway make it rain on them pros.

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
I think a majority of the best football conversations I've had on the Mane over the past 9 years have involved SoCal. He's always been one of my favorite posters, and was clutch with the camp reports. His Bowlen bashing is extreme, but I have friends who are more stuborn on sillier issues.
Yep. SoCal says we didn't spend much in 7 of 9 years. Problem is the two outliers. Why would we spend more those particular seasons? The reason is obvious: Shanny has us tight against the cap most seasons in his win now mind frame, so we couldn't spend money most seasons. The two seasons that where we had some breathing room with the cap, we spent. Last season we didn't spend because we had a new regime with a short offseason to work with. If you think not spending was a bad idea, just look at Philly and Washington. They spent a ton last offseason, with poor results.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 02-15-2012 at 06:39 PM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Except this is Klis being spoon fed his facts by the organization while independent reporting shows a history of being well below league average in payroll.

Like for example the entire 2000-2009 period per USA Today:
LINK HERE

Bottom half of the league year after year with a small number of exceptions (like '05, where I can't even think of who we gave the money to). Many years in the bottom 10.

Meanwhile this is an organization that is consistently ranked as a top 10 total value with top 10 revenues year after year. So how is it that a team who is a top 10 earner has habitually been a bottom 10 spender?

The Broncos FO plays a mean shell game with their money figures. How exactly did they spend $117M of the $120M cap when all sources have them at >$20M below the cap? Somehow they gave out an additional $17M+ over the prorated value of bonuses like the example used with Miller? To who? Warren counts for $1.25M. You got maybe another million or two in McGahee. Bailey's bonus for his new deal was supposed to be a 1:1 pay out to cap hit for this season. Who else? We're talking $10M in actual money that sits unaccounted for, i.e. a little over what Brandon Mebane had for a total signing bonus to return to Seattle.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Except this is Klis being spoon fed his facts by the organization while independent reporting shows a history of being well below league average in payroll.

LINK HERE

Bottom half of the league year after year with a small number of exceptions (like '05, where I can't even think of who we gave the money to). Many years in the bottom 10.

Meanwhile this is an organization that is consistently ranked as a top 10 total value with top 10 revenues year after year. So how is it that a team who is a top 10 earner has habitually been a bottom 10 spender?

The Broncos FO plays a mean shell game with their money figures. How exactly did they spend $117M of the $120M cap when all sources have them at >$20M below the cap? Somehow they gave out an additional $17M+ over the prorated value of bonuses like the example used with Miller? To who? Warren counts for $1.25M. You got maybe another million or two in McGahee. Bailey's bonus for his new deal was supposed to be a 1:1 pay out to cap hit for this season. Who else? We're talking $10M in actual money that sits unaccounted for, i.e. a little over what Brandon Mebane had for a total signing bonus to return to Seattle.
Shanny's win now attitude had us tight against the cap most seasons. That's why we didn't spend most years. It also explains the outlier seasons, which make no sense otherwise. Contrary to your belief, it's a GOOD thing that we did not spend much last season with the shortened offseason to acclimate the new players. Look what happened to two of the bigger spenders, Philly and Washington. They underachieved.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #19
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

LINK HERE

They didn't prorate the bonus money with their internal accounting, apparently. I have no idea who is playing fast and loose with the $$$ figures, USAToday, the Broncos, ESPN, whomever.

All I know is during the Shanny era they were constantly every year trying to rework contracts to get below the salary cap so they could sign FA's. And they were way up there with dead money on bonuses paid out for players no longer on the team like Griese, Dale Carter, IHOP, etc, etc, on and on. They paid $800k plus signing bonuses to Robert Brooks, Seth Joyner, Jerry Rice, Leon Lett, that list of similar overpaid vets goes on and on also.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think we have some more evidence here that it may be just as beneficial to lose cheaply as it is to spend to win. To a businessperson, anyway.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #21
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Wow...people are obsessed with me...funny stuff. In any case, the proof is in the pudding, I'm not interested in talk, let's see some serious spending start to happen and if it does, I'll be more than happy to give them credit.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time, Elway. Peanut. Butter. Jelly. Time.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This does not mean the free agents you're creaming your pants over will sign with Denver, nor does it mean Denver will go after them.

FYI.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #24
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Attached Images

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

LINK HERE

Here's where that argument falls apart. Name someone who we didn't sign because of money during that period. I can think of one guy: Andre Carter. We outbid for Graham. We lost Kerney because he decided he'd have a better shot at a SB with Seattle, we signed Bannon, Green, Simeon Rice, Koutovides - there were endless players we threw big money at and they didn't pan out. When we would cut them a couple years (or sometimes earlier) after signing them our cap room ballooned out of control.

And name during all this time there was not even a mention that Bowlen was trying to stop this to save money. Shanahan had a blank check do what he wanted to. If there was even a hint of him being restrained in anyway by Bowlen it would have been out in the papers.

Now people are trying to re-write history, some here probably to preserve Shanahan's legacy and blame Bowlen for Shanahan winning one playoff game in a decade of post-Elway football. The truth is that Shanahan wasn't very good at evaluating pro-personnel and it cost the Broncos.