The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Buffalo13

Default Hello, Bills fan with a question about Von Miller

Hey guys, a Bills fan here. Congrats on a nice season (or an interesting one to say the least!) Can't tell you how hard I was rooting for you against the Steelers...what an awesome game and a great game plan by you guys.

Anyway, I wanted to try and get some more info as to how you guys used Von Miller this year. I see he is listed as your Sam 'backer? How much of that did he play and to what effect?

The reason I ask is because with Buffalo's switch to the 40 front this year, I'd love to find a guy who could potentially play OLB for us in the base defense, then be an effective pass rusher when the time comes. I'm looking at guys like Nick Perry and Melvin Ingram at #10 or maybe a guy like Cam Johnson down the road a ways.

Clearly none of those guys have Miller's ability, but I think the way today's NFL is going, it's all about defending the pass and the more rushers you can put out there the better.

Any info would be great...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo13 View Post
Hey guys, a Bills fan here. Congrats on a nice season (or an interesting one to say the least!) Can't tell you how hard I was rooting for you against the Steelers...what an awesome game and a great game plan by you guys.

Anyway, I wanted to try and get some more info as to how you guys used Von Miller this year. I see he is listed as your Sam 'backer? How much of that did he play and to what effect?

The reason I ask is because with Buffalo's switch to the 40 front this year, I'd love to find a guy who could potentially play OLB for us in the base defense, then be an effective pass rusher when the time comes. I'm looking at guys like Nick Perry and Melvin Ingram at #10 or maybe a guy like Cam Johnson down the road a ways.

Clearly none of those guys have Miller's ability, but I think the way today's NFL is going, it's all about defending the pass and the more rushers you can put out there the better.

Any info would be great...thanks!
Miller wasn't a pure SAM. He almost always blitzed on passing downs and was often replaced by Haggan on running downs. He played off the line mostly, but moved up on the line in Dime and Quarter packages, effectively making him more of an undersized defensive end.

He wasn't terrible in coverage, and his run-stopping will get better.

There are plenty of more knowledgable people than I on this board that will give you better info.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

He plays a lot like Brian Cushing did at USC, he does a significant amount of blitzing out of the base formation but does do some traditional standup defense. He was moved to DE in the nickel and dime packages.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

The Broncos would also rush him in A gaps between the center and the guard. His quickness often was too much o-lines to handle although his effectiveness declined when he broke his thumb.

On running downs Miller was surprisingly good at holding the edge or chasing down plays that were run away from him as well.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Miller had ZERO moves this year. His stats were purely off talent. If he can learn a few swim/bullrush/spin moves he'll be unstoppable.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
Miller had ZERO moves this year. His stats were purely off talent. If he can learn a few swim/bullrush/spin moves he'll be unstoppable.
Awesome is a Move.

I remember a Bull Rush that Destroyed the RT from the Chargers and a Sick Spin move at another time.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Shananahan

Quote:
What?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Attached Images

snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
I was just about to mention him bulldozing the 320lbs Wayne Hunter to get to Sanchez like that.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Awesome is a Move.
Damn straight it is .....

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
enjolras
Ring of Famer

The scary thing is that Von still has a lot of room to improve, even as a pass rusher. His beastliness is going to be off the charts.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
Jason7730
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Thank you! That was one HELL of a move the way he set him up, tossed him to the side! Looked like a smaller, albeit faster, Reggie White.
Jason7730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Awesome is a Move.

I remember a Bull Rush that Destroyed the RT from the Chargers and a Sick Spin move at another time.

In the Jets game he destroyed their right tackle. Pure bull rush. It was the total awesome.

Edit* As shown above.

Last edited by Archer81; 02-15-2012 at 09:28 PM..
Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
That's a veteran move right there, mixing up and disrupting the OT's hands like that, then plowing through him like a train. Hunter's not their best guy, but he's eight years in the league.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic

Miller has Derrick Thomas acceleration coming off the line. He's got plenty of time to polish his skills and learn the game. And clearly he is not like the bust Aaron Curry. I wanted Patrick Peterson or Miller. With some improvement he's going to be something special for a long time. His injury did slow him down a bit toward the end of the year.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Miller has Derrick Thomas acceleration coming off the line. He's got plenty of time to polish his skills and learn the game. And clearly he is not like the bust Aaron Curry. I wanted Patrick Peterson or Miller. With some improvement he's going to be something special for a long time. His injury did slow him down a bit toward the end of the year.

I think the DT comparison is apt, but I think Miller is faster from his first step to overall speed. When he learns wtf he is doing...good God.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Miller was the right choice, definitely. Peterson was big news only because of the great returns. But the scouting reports pre-draft barely mentioned his return skills, if at all. On defense he barely cracked the starting lineup and committed a ton of penalties.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #20
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Miller was the right choice, definitely. Peterson was big news only because of the great returns. But the scouting reports pre-draft barely mentioned his return skills, if at all. On defense he barely cracked the starting lineup and committed a ton of penalties.

I think Denver would have done fine with Peterson. Luckily though we went for passrush. It made the difference in alot of tight games. A rookie corner who is very up and down...kinda scary to think about.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

As for the OP, sorry to Miller jack your thread.

Miller is raw, but immensely talented. He did come out on obvious running downs, he would overrun the play, which shows his overaggression rather than lack of ability. His passrush was/will be huge. But Allen (former DC) schemed to get him and Dumervil to the QB. Before the draft last year people could not understand why Denver would take a LB if they were switching to a 4-3. Worked out, but its the belief here that Miller is a rare talent.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Peterson was big news only because of the great returns. But the scouting reports pre-draft barely mentioned his return skills, if at all.
What are you talking about?

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sa=X&e...w=1680&bih=877
Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #23
Drunken.Broncoholic

I actually wanted Peterson to be our return guy pre draft. Check his junior year on return stats. I remember him lighting it up.

Bills fan? I know a lot of broncos fans wanted Dareus. I'm glad we went Miller though.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #24
Shananahan

I wanted Dareus by a mile, then Peterson. I remember posting here that I'd rather Denver draft A.J. Green at #2 than Von Miller.

I never imagined they'd be able to utilize him the way they did at SOLB, or that he'd be as amazingly good as he was.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
that rookie sack record would have been his if he didn't have the injury
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote