The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default Denver could have over $50m of cap space in 2012

If they want to use it that is.

The current projections have the Broncos accounting for just over $100m in salaries for 2012 for a projected $125m cap leaving them approx $25m in space.

As per Mike Florio though under the new CBA teams can carry over any remaining cap room from the previous season into the new cap year as long as they notify the league by 28th February. The Broncos left $27.88m of room on the table last year. So that would give them over $50m if Bowlen and the team want to use it.

It'll be interesting to see how much they want to progress down the FA route this year by the spending.

Last edited by eddie mac; 02-12-2012 at 03:57 PM..
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I see them having an offseason like last year and not going full tilt saving some money until they have to spend it in 2013
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I hope they don't hand out any absurd deals, but there is certainly room to bring in some substantial talent.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

My main concern here is that we wont use the cap space from last year because 2012 isn't the 89% cap floor season, 2013 is, so Denver wont want to be carrying that amount of room over into 2013 when they have to spend 9/10 of it.

Forget part of the above because apparently the 89% salary cap floor season in 2013 is not based on adjusted cap numbers only the money available in that year.

Last edited by eddie mac; 02-12-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
DENVERDUI55

Den could have 100 billion in cap room but it only matters if you use it. How much of cap are they required to spend?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I would like to see them cut ties with Goodman and bring in Mathis from Jax. Along with a nice DT and possibly a receiving TE.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Den could have 100 billion in cap room but it only matters if you use it. How much of cap are they required to spend?
The 89% rule does not kick in until 2013. They can spend as little as they want this year.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
extralife
Ring of Famer

I remember Xanders or Elway or maybe that new scrub saying that they already have an operating budget from Bowlen. The fact that such a thing even exists makes me think that it is significantly below the cap; if not, why bother?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I would like to see them cut ties with Goodman and bring in Mathis from Jax. Along with a nice DT and possibly a receiving TE.
Replacing Goodman with Mathis should be pretty close to cap neutral. Mathis isn't getting a big money deal coming off an ACL injury. But yes, I agree that he should be a priority, coupled with an early draft pick CB. This is a pretty good CB draft and we need to take the momentum we've built with hitting on a steal in Harris to turn the unit into a long term strength, not a weakness.

Couple that with stabilizing the MLB position and adding a three down DT and we're looking at a MUCH better team. We don't need to spend like drunken sailors, we just need to stop acting like the scrubs currently on our roster at key positions are good enough. They aren't and need to be replaced with younger, more athletic options.

Sign the following:

Rashean Mathis, CB
Dan Connor, MLB
Tom Zbikowski, SS/FS
Jason Jones, DT
Pat Sims, DT

All but Mathis are in their mid 20's, none are multi-year starters so all should come cheap. All are upgrades over what we have at their spots now. Then if we really want to flash some money around we can target it on someone like Carl Nicks, a very low risk, very high return OL addition who we could give a 7 year contract do and get our money's worth throughout the length of it.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Replacing Goodman with Mathis should be pretty close to cap neutral. Mathis isn't getting a big money deal coming off an ACL injury. But yes, I agree that he should be a priority, coupled with an early draft pick CB. This is a pretty good CB draft and we need to take the momentum we've built with hitting on a steal in Harris to turn the unit into a long term strength, not a weakness.

Couple that with stabilizing the MLB position and adding a three down DT and we're looking at a MUCH better team. We don't need to spend like drunken sailors, we just need to stop acting like the scrubs currently on our roster at key positions are good enough. They aren't and need to be replaced with younger, more athletic options.

Sign the following:

Rashean Mathis, CB
Dan Connor, MLB
Tom Zbikowski, SS/FS
Jason Jones, DT
Pat Sims, DT

All but Mathis are in their mid 20's, none are multi-year starters so all should come cheap. All are upgrades over what we have at their spots now. Then if we really want to flash some money around we can target it on someone like Carl Nicks, a very low risk, very high return OL addition who we could give a 7 year contract do and get our money's worth throughout the length of it.
I agree. Some how i forgot about MLB..that was probably our biggest weakness on D.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I remember Xanders or Elway or maybe that new scrub saying that they already have an operating budget from Bowlen. The fact that such a thing even exists makes me think that it is significantly below the cap; if not, why bother?
It's a cash budget and you're probably right, it'll be below any available cap space.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Read on Rotoworld today that we're high on Irving and he should get a shot at the starting MLB spot this year. We love his presence and potential apparently.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Read on Rotoworld today that we're high on Irving and he should get a shot at the starting MLB spot this year. We love his presence and potential apparently.
I really think if they would of had a normal Off season, Irving would have started...he was lost out there this year..watch him blossom next year. Bring the nasty back!!
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncswin View Post
I really think if they would of had a normal Off season, Irving would have started...he was lost out there this year..watch him blossom next year. Bring the nasty back!!
I wanna believe this SO bad....

But, the fact that he saw basically no time, even in reserve. I dunno.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Awesome! Getting my #18 jersey now!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
They've been saying the same thing on various local radio stations. Apparently they wanted to treat 2011 as a red-shirt season for him to make sure he was fully over his injuries and to let him get some size on him.

I REALLY hope that's true.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Jay3

Quote:
The 89% rule does not kick in until 2013. They can spend as little as they want this year.
They may as well build up to it rather than find themselves having to massively increase. Go get Mario Williams.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Can Dan Conner cover TEs?
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
I hope they don't hand out any absurd deals, but there is certainly room to bring in some substantial talent.
I think it was smart not to have spent money last year.
This time they know exactly what and where the needs are.
So let's how strong can they get with the money they've got...

Last edited by strafen; 02-12-2012 at 10:48 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I hope to see major strides from Irving and J Thomas this year. We need a TE to step up and give Tebow an outlet.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

There also could be a lot more caproom in the offing if we decide that either Warren $4m or Goodman (not 100% on the acceleration of outstanding guarantees/bonus) are no longer in our plans.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
I hope to see major strides from Irving and J Thomas this year. We need a TE to step up and give Tebow an outlet.
An outlet wont help him if he doesn't check down.

Tebow never checked down. When he "should" have checked down, he usually just threw it way down field for the home run. Sometimes that helped us, but most of the time the passes fell incomplete.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #23
bigbucks24
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Denver spent about 80% of the cap last year. What makes anyone believe that they will spend 120% of the cap this year?
bigbucks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
An outlet wont help him if he doesn't check down.

Tebow never checked down. When he "should" have checked down, he usually just threw it way down field for the home run. Sometimes that helped us, but most of the time the passes fell incomplete.
I should've included him in the major strides dept as well.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Didn't he play in a couple games mid-season? What's his health status? He's going to have to gain a few pounds if he's going to hold up in the middle.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote