The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Boston Sports Writer Calls Tom Brady an "Embarrassment"

Not so safety call: Blame Brady for this one

February 05, 2012|Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff, Globe Staff

The legend is dead, the prince has turned back into a frog, and...well, use whatever other cliché you want.

A performance as bad as Tom Brady's tonight in Super Bowl XLVI deserves a lead just as lame.

Sorry, Tommy Boy, this one's on you. Your hideous performance led to the Giants' 21-17 Super Bowl title win. How embarrassing for your coach, your teammates, and your fans.

But especially for you, boy wonder. It was one thing when you led the game off with a safety, which surely put plenty of faith into the heart of Patriot Nation, but just when you have the game, just when you might be able to run off the clock, you huck the thing downfield. Yes, if Wes Welker catches that thing, you're in the clear, and fans will place the blame either way, but what happened to being safe in that situation? What happened to the Patriot Way and clock management?

What happened to you?

What an embarrassment for the Patriots organization and Bob Kraft. So now the Giants have taken Lombardi from you twice, and you haven't looked this bad in a playoff game since...well, two weeks ago against the Ravens. Maybe that moment will actually hit you as you're whittling down water slides in South America looking like Prince Valiant this spring. The Patriots haven't won a title in seven years, but even worse, they're now turning into the Buffalo Bills, with the Giants being their Cowboy daddy. That's not easy to swallow in a region where New York is regarded as highly as the menu at Beacon Hill Pub.

But, there you are, Tom. That's what you have become. Your legacy has been stamped, but you're turning your Joe Montana status into one of Jim Kelly. But, hey what you worry? There's that new mansion in the "Names" pages to deal with.

Yes, there were plenty of dropped passes to go around. Granted. But when you begin the game with such a boneheaded play, then proceed to make random mistakes, sorry, Tom, game is on you.

There was no fourth and 13 to blame Belichick for.

Welker was the closest thing to Asante, and the eeriness compared to the Tyree play will be discussed for decades to come.

Thanks for that too. Can't wait. Oh, look, another text coming in from 212...

Tom, it's not all your fault, but you're the poster boy, you had opportunities, and you failed to make them. Add to that your blunders, and it all becomes about you. You blew this Super Bowl. You denied your coach No. 4. You let down your teammates.

Eli and Peyton now have as many rings as you combined over the past five years. You haven't sniffed one in seven. How's that hit you?

Maybe it doesn't hit you as hard anymore, and maybe that's the problem.

The safety killed the Patriots. Killed them.

And there's nobody to blame but Tom Brady.

However hard it might be to swallow, the glory days are gone. Even Montana handed off to Mallett at some point, right?

http://articles.boston.com/2012-02-0...elker-patriots
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

What a bunch of effing spoiled babies...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
Shananahan

Eric Wilbur: Profesional Troll.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

I'm fully convinced north east sports fans would eat their own children if given the opportunity.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

I avoid reading/listening to any "sports analysis" from ESPN/beat writers like this but what an ass. Boohoo, our first ballot HOF QB with 3 SB rings couldn't get us another.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
I'm fully convinced north east sports fans would eat their own children if given the opportunity.

Yeah, we never see any melts around here.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Anyone wanna dig up stuff they wrote about Elway after the three Super Bowl losses? I'm sure it's the same kind of crap.

Brady made the play that should have won the game for them. Welker dropped it. That about sums it up.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Way over the top. I think Simmons' take is much better (below, already posted in another thread).

Quote:
Mrs. Brady? She might have a harder time shaking this one. I lived in the Boston area for the first 13 years of my life. I went to college 45 minutes from Boston. I spent the first 10 years after college living in Boston. It's hard to overstate how provincial Massachusetts is. There's an "Us Against Them" mentality that's just part of the DNA. You grow up there, you live a full life there, you die there. That's how it's supposed to play out. There's been a local undercurrent for the past few years that Brady thinks he's too good for Boston (because he moved to New York, then California), that he cares too much about being a celebrity, that Gisele made him soft, that he's not really "one of us." So when you combine Gisele's Super Bowl week performance with everything else, take a guess what they'll be talking about on local sports radio this month.

Is any of this fair? Of course not. Tom Brady is one of the greatest Boston athletes of all time. But when that Gisele-fueled backlash kicks into fifth gear locally (and it's already started), for the first time in Brady's career, he might have to win back Boston fans. (Or, at least some of them.) I don't remember that happening to Larry Bird. Or Bobby Orr. Or Bill Russell. Of all the strange things to come out of Super Bowl XLVI, that has to lead the list. How is that a silver lining? Because you always want your best guys to stay hungry. This will keep Brady hungry. Or so I keep telling myself.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...s-indianapolis
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Brady made the play that should have won the game for them. Welker dropped it. That about sums it up.
Throw could have, and should have, been better. Both are to blame.

Quote:
They caught the Giants in the wrong defense; they had the ball on the right hash mark and Welker on the left side, with a ton of field to work with, so once he beat his guy off the line of scrimmage, you knew exactly where he was going. Brady knew it, too … only he put a little too much air on the ball.

Had Welker hauled that football in, the catch itself would have been on the level of Manningham's tremendous catch that kick-started the winning Giants drive. Does Welker usually make that play? Yes. Does Brady usually make that throw? Yes. They both blew it.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Throw could have, and should have, been better. Both are to blame.

Yep. Welker was wide open, so if Brady throws an acccurate pass, it's probably a game-sealing TD.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #11
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wish the Pats felt the same. I'd take Brady.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

How embarrassing! The Patriots haven't won a SB in seven years!?!?! How do the fans live with themselves? Browns fans got nothing on the long-suffering Boston fans who just can't seem to catch a break...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #13
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

If you look up "embarrassment" on dictionary.com, I'm sure one of the entries would be "the Indianapolis Colts' performance without Manning"... Boston media needs to get real: they're picking #31 overall, not first.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Ha Ha Ha suck it New England
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Yup. THIS is why people hate Boston sports fans/media.

If they aren't being unbearable, spoiled homers......they run over their "heroes" with a Mack truck.

There is no in-between with them......no objectivity.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #16
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Wilbur has written an apology:

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2012/02/uncle.html
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Yup. THIS is why people hate Boston sports fans/media.

If they aren't being unbearable, spoiled homers......they run over their "heroes" with a Mack truck.

There is no in-between with them......no objectivity
Yeah, that doesn't happen around here AT ALL.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #18
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You should see the morons on other forums wanting Brady cut and Belichick fired. ****ing spoiled ass babies.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Yeah, that doesn't happen around here AT ALL.
Yup, the biggest difference between east coast fan bases and all other fanbases is that east coast teams are generally in larger media markets, i.e. more people and/or more media coverage.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

my heart bleeds for them
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #21
Powderaddict

Boston: A factory of sadness.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

That performance is why I don't give the GOAT title to Brady over Elway. On that safety, there is plenty of room to run on Brady's right. Oh, but Brady doesn't run the ball...
and that's the difference. Elway gets ten yards on that play. Brady takes a safety.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #23
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
How embarrassing! The Patriots haven't won a SB in seven years!?!?! How do the fans live with themselves? Browns fans got nothing on the long-suffering Boston fans who just can't seem to catch a break...
This. And while some may say we'd react the same way....bull****.

Being disappointed is one thing. But somehow I can't imagine that we would have called Elway an "embarrassment" if he had lost 2 more Superbowls AFTER he had one those 2.

New England fans ARE spoiled, fair-weather a-holes.

Even some of their own fanbase joke about the reputation they have as being "bitter Boston fans".

Don't tell me we're all the same.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Boston: A factory of classlessness.
Fixed it for you.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #25
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
That performance is why I don't give the GOAT title to Brady over Elway. On that safety, there is plenty of room to run on Brady's right. Oh, but Brady doesn't run the ball...
and that's the difference. Elway gets ten yards on that play. Brady takes a safety.
Winner, winner....chicken dinner.