The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
fwf

Default Brady's good... but he's not the Greatest.

I really dont care how many super bowls he plays in or how many he wins for that matter. Football is a team sport. If I need one QB in his prime to win a Game for me its not gonna be this guy. Im not saying he's not a great QB , but to say he' the greatest of all time would be wrong. I would put him in the 5-8 range. I just dont see the accuracy on his longer passes or ability to throw it deep effectively at all. You cant just automatically say a person is the greatest by how many superbowls he plays in or wins. Imagine if the Pats would have pulled that game out, which they could have? Thats all everyone would be talking about today. "This guy is the greatest of all time".. Bull sh*t! Ive been watching him for along time and yeah he'll hit the short routes all day, but what about the deeper routes. Thats why he was drafted in the 7th. He's just not as accurate going down field as say P Manning or Marino or Aikman. Look at the int. to Gronk or the drop by Welker which he should have caught but was actully thrown to the wrong shoulder. And he was awful in the conference championship.

Im not going to sit here and say Elway was the greatest.. These guys played in different eras so its hard to compare. But I really dont think its Brady either

Last edited by fwf; 02-06-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
ol#7

Hasn't won a SB since spygate. NE is a team in decline. They won the AFC in a reorginazation year. While a certain futue HOF'er, no way does he make the top 5 qb's list.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
Hasn't won a SB since spygate. NE is a team in decline. They won the AFC in a reorginazation year. While a certain futue HOF'er, no way does he make the top 5 qb's list.
He might not even be top ten
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Elway is the greatest of all time. Brady is in the conversation though. You are off on his throwing. He led the best offense in NFL history. He has been extremely clutch. That team only had four games this regular season where they didn't score over 30 points. That is 12 games of over 30 points. 15 games of over 20 points. This is very impressive. Brady also isn't done yet.

The non-comeback wasn't on him. He made a couple impressive throws that were dropped at the end.

Last edited by jhns; 02-06-2012 at 07:17 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
He might not even be top ten
Unitas
Elway
Kelly
Marino
Staubach
Aikman?
Theisman?
Starr
Favre
Tarkenton
Young
Montana
Warner?
Bradshaw
Graham
Stabler?
Pumpkinhead?
Fouts
Dawson?
Bob Griese
Gabriel?
Moon?

i think we can find 10 more deserving just on this list.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Brady, Marino, Elway
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Since the knee, he won't step into throws with the pocket collapsing. Up until then, he was a match for anyone.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
Not a Pats fan by any stretch, but if losing the SB by 4 points is considered 'decline' nowadays, I'm definitely all-in on decline.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
Unitas
Elway
Kelly
Marino
Staubach
Aikman?
Theisman?
Starr
Favre
Tarkenton
Young
Montana
Warner?
Bradshaw
Graham
Stabler?
Pumpkinhead?
Fouts
Dawson?
Bob Griese
Gabriel?
Moon?

i think we can find 10 more deserving just on this list.
I agree that he's not the greatest, but this list is way too long. Warner? GTFO
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

THE greatest? As in THE #1 QB of all time? Brady was NEVER that.

The only morons who say that are fair-weather, johnny come lately Pats fans.....and the nut suckers at ESPN.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I agree that he's not the greatest, but this list is way too long. Warner? GTFO
i don't know where Warner stands either, but he did throw for 32,000+ yards in about 124 NFL games. however, on another thread, one guy is talking about Eli as a shoe-in for the HOF because he has 27,000 yards in 121 games.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Brady is definitely in the top 10. He has 3 rings, and a couple of MVP awards and he's been to 5 SBs. You can hate him all you want but that doesn't change the fact that he's absolutely one of the top 10 QBs of all time. And I can't stand the friggen cheatriots.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post

The only morons who say that are fair-weather, johnny come lately Pats fans.....and the nut suckers at ESPN.
this.

this era of the NFL is the equivalent of the steroid era in baseball. we are seeing ridiculous numbers put up by QBs because the rules are so one-sided in favor of passing offenses, just like the steroid era led to top HR hitterss routinely hitting 50, 60, and even 70 HRs a year. the NFL rules need to come back to fairness and stop favoring the offensive passing game.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
fwf

Quote:

If they would have won that game yesterday then everyone would be having this discussion today. Bet on that
Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

His lack of athleticism gets exposed against good defensive fronts.

Anybody can play that pitch and catch stuff with a clean pocket and no contact on the receivers.

He's not even in the discussion of the great ones as far as I'm concerned.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
His lack of athleticism gets exposed against good defensive fronts.

Anybody can play that pitch and catch stuff with a clean pocket and no contact on the receivers.

He's not even in the discussion of the great ones as far as I'm concerned.
i think you are on to something.

we need to start a campaign to put asterisks next to his stats in the record books.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Brady is definitely in the top 10. He has 3 rings, and a couple of MVP awards and he's been to 5 SBs. You can hate him all you want but that doesn't change the fact that he's absolutely one of the top 10 QBs of all time. And I can't stand the friggen cheatriots.
I kinda equate his career with Namath. Brady had an iron chin in the pocket and was deadly accurate mid range. He's been able to hang on with the rules that protect qbs even when they lose the athletic ability to protect themselves.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwf View Post
If they would have won that game yesterday then everyone would be having this discussion today. Bet on that
Oh, no doubt. Which is why I feel so RELIEVED that they lost. I live in MA, and had the Pats won.....listening to local sports radio would have been UNBEARABLE.

I mentioned after the AFC title game vs. the Ravens.....that one of the sports radio hosts implied that Vince Wilfork's performance in that game might have to be considered as one of the greatest DL performances of all time.

This is the type of homeristic BS that supports the fact that these clowns didn't think football existed before the Pats became good.

Apparently this guy has never heard of players like Deacon Jones, Howie Long, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, "Mean" Joe Green, etc., etc.

Vince Wilfork played great......but to make that statement. Seriously?
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Oh, no doubt. Which is why I feel so RELIEVED that they lost. I live in MA, and had the Pats won.....listening to local sports radio would have been UNBEARABLE.

I mentioned after the AFC title game vs. the Ravens.....that one of the sports radio hosts implied that Vince Wilfork's performance in that game might have to be considered as one of the greatest DL performances of all time.

This is the type of homeristic BS that supports the fact that these clowns didn't think football existed before the Pats became good.

Apparently this guy has never heard of players like Deacon Jones, Howie Long, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, "Mean" Joe Green, etc., etc.

Hey, Wilfolk is great. Anyone who can play 60 mins of football after eating 12 big macs is epic.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #20
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:

...and that sports radio guy was probably wearing a pink Red Sox cap when he said it.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #21
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Across all eras? Maybe not.

Unitis(forgot him, doh!)
Graham
Montana
Starr
Elway
Baugh
Staubach
Bradshaw
Aikman
Moon

At best I would have him number 9ish ahead of Favre, Marino, and Pluckett.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 02-06-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #22
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
Hey, Wilfolk is great. Anyone who can play 60 mins of football after eating 12 big macs is epic.
ever see what The Fridge could put away pre-game? that guy has huge appetites for food and booze and appears to be headed down a dead-end path.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=6091766
Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:

I know.

He was just playing old ass Matt Birk!
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
Turd_Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwf View Post
I really dont care how many super bowls he plays in or how many he wins for that matter. Football is a team sport. If I need one QB in his prime to win a Game for me its not gonna be this guy. Im not saying he's not a great QB , but to say he' the greatest of all time would be wrong. I would put him in the 5-8 range. I just dont see the accuracy on his longer passes or ability to throw it deep effectively at all. You cant just automatically say a person is the greatest by how many superbowls he plays in or wins. Imagine if the Pats would have pulled that game out, which they could have? Thats all everyone would be talking about today. "This guy is the greatest of all time".. Bull sh*t! Ive been watching him for along time and yeah he'll hit the short routes all day, but what about the deeper routes. Thats why he was drafted in the 7th. He's just not as accurate going down field as say P Manning or Marino or Aikman. Look at the int. to Gronk or the drop by Welker which he should have caught but was actully thrown to the wrong shoulder. And he was awful in the conference championship.

Im not going to sit here and say Elway was the greatest.. These guys played in different eras so its hard to compare. But I really dont think its Brady either
I can't believe I'm going to stick up for Tom Brady, but maybe you should call Randy Moss and ask him how well Brady threw the deep ball when they broke the frickin touchdown record the year they went undefeated and lost in the SB. I think Brady's arm has gotten stronger as his career goes on. Yes his deep ball looked like crap yesterday, but not during the year, or particularly the playoff game against Denver.

All that said he is not the greatest of all time, that is John Elway. Just heard Dan Patrick mention that he would take Elway over Brady last week on his radio show, and have heard numerous ESPN and other sports people (particularly ex players) say the same thing.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #25
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
All that said he is not the greatest of all time, that is John Elway. Just heard Dan Patrick mention that he would take Elway over Brady last week on his radio show, and have heard numerous ESPN and other sports people (particularly ex players) say the same thing.
Probably going to be branded a heretic for this, but I think it's a generational thing. Everyone wants to latch onto a 'greatest' from their era and proclaim them the GOAT.

In reality the NFL changes so much from era to era that the greats were really playing different games. There's no such thing as a Greatest Ever in the NFL. Best you can do is be the greatest of any given era.